Menu

What would you wear to an interview

KungFuPanda

at a nursery (plants, not people)? It’s an administrative position in the office. The day-to-day attire is outdoorsy/casual/practical but that won’t work as a first impression. Definitely no fussy designer duds like my current gig. Heels seem silly in this context. I’m thinking dress slacks, a feminine oxford that has shape but isn’t tight anywhere, and ballet flats. Does this say “I’m professional, but not too prissy to walk the grounds if necessary?”  I could go with a skirt and heels (my gardening boots are always in the car) but It feels like too much.  Any other ideas? There is a garden-themed tunic/dress at the shop in earth tones that’s probably perfect with boots but I don’t think I’m that brave. 

I eased into work with part time and I can definitely go full time. I don’t know what my odds are of landing this, but I find plants a LOT more interesting than designer clothing. My resume is eclectic and I really want to work outside of education for a while. 

• Like 7

I think that sounds Ok but maybe a little on the prissy side.

Do you have a pair of short, flat heeled boots?  I think I would wear a nice but kind of plain top, black jeans, and booties.  No fussy jewelry, but maybe a pair of stud/post earrings, my Fitbit, and wedding ring.  I would want to give a capable but energetic vibe and I think black jeans rather than slacks would tip the scale in that direction.

• Like 3

I’d love to roll in with a woodland-colored tunic, dark leggings, and brown ankle boots, but I’ll play it safe.  I’ll have my Fitbit on as a watch. Most of the time. I may throw on a necklace. It’ll be 90 degrees so I’m going to skip the scarf. 

If for some reason they want me to hike the grounds, my gardening/hiking boots are always in the van. That should tell them I’m serious. 🤣 Right now I’m at work and a little high of a decent amount of commission I just made with a 10 minute phone call, but I’d still rather be in plant world. I can do both for a while. I’m still burning pent up pandemic energy. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’d love to roll in with a woodland-colored tunic, dark leggings, and brown ankle boots, but I’ll play it safe.  I’ll have my Fitbit on as a watch. Most of the time. I may throw on a necklace. It’ll be 90 degrees so I’m going to skip the scarf. 

If for some reason they want me to hike the grounds, my gardening/hiking boots are always in the van. That should tell them I’m serious. 🤣 Right now I’m at work and a little high of a decent amount of commission I just made with a 10 minute phone call, but I’d still rather be in plant world. I can do both for a while. I’m still burning pent up pandemic energy. 

so, wait, you're saying you're heading away from Black Tie on Top, Jeans Below? 

Just when I'd learned a new thing, dagnabbit

Good luck moving towards plant world, that truly sounds delightful.

I'd be sorely tempted to wear new black with white polka dot garden sloggers with the outfit you list in the original post. There will be a tour of the grounds after all and my garden sloggers are my favorite shoes.
https://www.amazon.com/Sloggers-Waterproof-Comfort-Midsummer-5102BK09/dp/B00AYEO3CI/ref=sr_1_2?crid=18NNIW67GZZPG&dchild=1&keywords=garden%2Bsloggers%2Bfor%2Bwomen%2Bwaterproof&qid=1631678036&sprefix=garden%2Bsolggers%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-2&th=1

• Like 1

12 hours ago, katilac said:

I actually think this sounds perfect. 

In hindsight, it would've been fine.  It was the most fun interview I've ever had.  They have a lot of candidates, and everyone there has a degree in horticulture, so it's probably a longshot for me, but the interview went really well.  I added a fitbit and butterfly necklace to my boring wardrobe.    I also have very unboring hair so they'll definitely remember me as "the redheaded one."  We never actually left the office, but I did climb a circular staircase to get to it, so I was glad for the flats. My fingers are crossed but my expectations are managed.  There's also no real stress because I HAVE a job.  It would be novel to be the person in the room who is talking about plants the least.  They were all wearing sweats/yoga pants and t-shirts which is ALL I want in life as a professional uniform.  They emailed that afternoon asking for references.  I should hear something next week.  

If they hire me, I think I'll buy the designer "garden tunic" from my other job to celebrate.  I could wear it both places and it's cute and comfy.  My ultimate plan to just start wearing black ballet shoes (not ballet flats; actual dance slippers) might work in both places.  😆  It would be funny having two jobs where I don't need to buy work clothes because one dresses me and the other lets me wear my yoga pants.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2