Menu

Want to change writing course; anything open?!

My daughter is an 8th grader and is taking Expository 3 at WTMA. Her experience with Expository 2 was great because she received a lot of feedback. This is not the case with this year’s teacher and we have one day to drop the class. Blue Tent Intro to Lit and Composition is closed. Any other suggestions? 

None are as rigorous as WTMA or Blue Tent, but these look to have openings in their 2nd sessions (last part of the fall semester):

Lantern English offers 8-week classes for $60/class. Scroll down on this page to see the essay writing and research paper class options for grades 7-9. Registration for the first quarter classes (Sept. 6-Oct. 25) is closed, because classes are already running, but you could sign up (starting Oct. 11) for the second quarter (runs Nov. 1st - Jan 10th (with Thanksgiving & Christmas breaks).

Time 4 Writing offers 8-week classes for $119/class. It looks like you sign up at any time, do the self-paced classes at home, and then submit the assignment and get feedback.

Write At Home offers full-year, semester-long ($289/semester), and 8-week workshops ($179/workshop). Here are the middle school classes. Full-year and fall semester options are closed and have been running for several weeks, but it looks like from this page that session 2 (Sept. 23-Nov. 18) and session 3 (Oct. 14-Dec. 16) workshops are still open.

Outschool has 1-on-1 tutoring options that run $30-50+ / class, so that might be an option for very individualized feedback.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You could get four quarters in at Lantern by starting second quarter and taking a summer course. They are not live courses, though.  You receive lessons via email and have one week to complete and submit them. Then they are graded with feedback and returned pretty quickly. My kids have had a lot of success with Lantern, but I do generally walk them through the lesson or at least make sure they know what they are doing. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

You could get four quarters in at Lantern by starting second quarter and taking a summer course. They are not live courses, though.  You receive lessons via email and have one week to complete and submit them. Then they are graded with feedback and returned pretty quickly. My kids have had a lot of success with Lantern, but I do generally walk them through the lesson or at least make sure they know what they are doing. 

Mine have done 2 writing classes with Lantern (one this past summer) and are currently doing their 3rd.  The feedback for them has been helpful and they are doing well.  They will do 3 more classes with them this year and will move onto something else (probably an AP class or DE) for their senior year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

Also, Debra Bell's Aim has some Fall 2 classes starting in October.  Not sure exactly what you are looking for but there is a Middle School Expos class starting and maybe something else that would work if you look through the course list -- https://debrabell.com/onlineclasses/middle-school-expository-writing/ 

Have you tried / liked this?