Menu

Okay, how do you use Singapore Math?

Aspasia

I'm switching to Singapore for a couple of my kids this year. We've never used it in all of our 9 years of homeschooling. I ordered everything (Student Book, Additional Practice, Mastery and Beyond). It's...a lot. 😂 Do people typically do all the books, or the extras just on an as-needed basis? 

I used it for my last two, so also jumped into it after using other curriculums.  Back then, there wasn't quite as much available.  But I believe we had the student book and the additional workbook for extra practice.  For the early grades, I didn't get the teacher's answer book because I figured I'd be able to figure it out myself, and that was correct.  But at some point I decided that it was a lot faster to just be able to compare their answers with the teacher's answer book.  

Actually now that I think of it, I believe I also had a story problems workbook for extra practice at some point, and I would use that from time to time but not regularly.  I never did all the problems from everything, but would choose a scattering of problems that seemed to cover everything, or to cover what they might specifically need.

I loved Singapore math!   I used the non-US version because I wanted my kids to have an understanding of the metric system.

I look ahead in the textbook and think of how I want to present the topics. Then, I teach until I get to an arrow. I sometimes teach double amounts. I like to get ahead in the textbook and then use the workbook for review.  We play math games, play with money, play with MUS blocks, etc, on the side. We drill with flash cards, but with the older kids, I had some good computer games for math.  I do not supplement with anything from SM anymore. I might buy a fun Minecraft math book or use Keys to.....books. 

Edited by Janeway

We only used the teacher's guide and workbook through 4th grade. We usually used the Extra Practice workbooks to prevent summer slide. Fifth grade I believe we might have added the textbook. I used primary math for K-6, and then did Dimensions 6 after that. Then my kid went into Saxon Algebra I (but if I were still doing her math education we would have continued Dimensions through 8.) I plan to do the same with my second grader. 

The key with Saxo is to us it how you need it. Kids who need less practice only need the textbook, needs more practice, get the EP workbooks, etc. There's no wrong way as long as your kid is understanding and retaining it. 

I ordered everything (Student Book, Additional Practice, Mastery and Beyond)

I am a lurker here but wanted to reply since it seems that you are using the new Singapore 2022 version.

After using Primary Standards Edition for the past four years, I decided to try out the new version because it appeared to be a better "fit" for two of my kiddos. For the 2022 version, I purchased the HIG, Student Book, Additional Practice, and the Mastery and Beyond books. Personally, I think that the Additional Practice and Mastery and Beyond texts are essential. For my students, the Student Book does not provide ample practice. Therefore, the Additional Practice is a necessity for me if I am to have the concept "stick." It does quite well at providing additional problems without being overwhelming. Also, I feel that this newer text is better developed than the Extra Practice book from Primary Standards.

As for the Master and Beyond: I like how all of the elements that are taught in a lesson are brought together in a "gentle" way in the exercises. Neither the Student Book or Additional Practice--like the Mastery and Beyond--offer cumulative practice in such a way.

So, personally, I think that the new version has a good balance of spiral and mastery when all of the books are used in conjunction. Also, if more practice is needed or remediation required, there are digital resources available (dependent upon the texts that are purchased).

• Like 1

For anyone who is thinking about using the Singapore 2022 version, I would like to add to my original statement:

While working through today's Singapore assignments, I realized that I had left out a significant detail about why one should aim to use all of the books of the 2022 version. In the Additional Practice text, there are problems labeled "Persevere," "Reason," and "Construct Viable Arguments." These are very unique problems, not found in the earlier Singapore versions, that take the student's learning deeper. The labeling is self-explanatory; it requires that the student uses skills other than rote memorization to solve the problems. Additionally, the Student Book has problems like these--but less involved--that take the lessons a little deeper, also. The most difficult of these are the "Heuristic" problems. And, if you want to go even deeper, there are STEAM projects associated with some of the assignments. So, in order to get the most out this updated version, you really want to use all of the components. And, lastly, I do not believe that most students will be able to get by with just the Student Book, alone, since it lacks the practice, depth, and diversity that is found when using the Additional Problems and Mastery and Beyond texts. HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been using the Primary Standards Earlybird K Math through level 6B for over ten years. We always use the textbook and the workbook. I purchased the Home Instructors Guides for each grade level  mostly to save time when correcting answers. When I am able to purchase extra books like Challenging Word Problems at library book or used curriculum sales I often do that. I find that I don't use the Singapore supplements enough to warrant me purchasing extra books "new." For us, the textbook and workbook provide more than enough practice.

We also use Math Mammoth for various topics if more practice is needed. Beast Academy is an ongoing supplement, as well.