Menu

Buying and Selling Pet Peeves

Soror

Awww the internet.

Sometimes people amaze me.

Yes, you need pictures up on your posting.

Details are important and you won't get harassed nearly as much if you have more info listed so people don't have to ask questions over and over. You should be able to give dimensions of furniture. One time I messaged about a dresser asking the dimensions. They replied back - 2!!!! That's it. 2 Feet/2 inches/2 ??? Height/Width/Depth? Who knows. 

If you sell a car you have to have the title in your name(you would think people would know that). 

You should check the value of your vehicle before posting. You may or may not price it right and either end up with it sitting because you are asking too much or losing money.

If you are selling something why the flip would you then ignore questions. I've given up on one guy, said it was available but then couldn't give me any details. It comes across as sketchy.

Cleaning things before you take photos makes a difference. 

Take a listing down when it sells and don't post something if you aren't going to sell it or already have it sold. 

And no, I don't want to have a big long convo hearing your life story because I asked you a question about a car you have for sale. This lady keeps messaging me all this crap. I DON"T CARE!!!

• Like 4

Ah, yes, but on the selling side, the buyers can be just as bad. 

Please read the listing and see where I state the zip code, reference a landmark/location/thing that I live near, and name the city.  Before you message me interested, still available?, where are you? Oh, wait, that's too far. 

If the listing says "must pick up" then, no, I won't deliver it to you. Not even for an extra fee. 

If the listing says "new, never used" and I'm already listing it for a whole lot cheaper than brand new, no, don't haggle the price. Or, don't get annoyed when I reject your low-ball offer. 

Mostly it's the location bit that gets me.....Ummm, I've stated three different ways as to where I live/where the item is located. Three ways. Three times. In the listing.  And FB I know tells you when it pops up.  pay attention before you put yourself in line for the item. :sigh: 

• Like 5

Yes. Nothing annoys me more than online buying/selling. 

I recently sold some used curriculum. Buyer was upset because *I should have told her* what other items she needed to make the program complete. (I had a detailed listing and photos of what I was selling.) Um...whatever. Do your research (like everyone else) and know what you're buying. 

Also, I get so many that ask "is it available" and then immediately message "nevermind, I don't want it."  Like...okay? Thanks for that waste of time. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

The 2 meant you were second in line so they didn’t care to bother to answer your question.

But yet the post will stay up, so who knows. Some people are flaky.

14 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Ah, yes, but on the selling side, the buyers can be just as bad. 

Please read the listing and see where I state the zip code, reference a landmark/location/thing that I live near, and name the city.  Before you message me interested, still available?, where are you? Oh, wait, that's too far. 

If the listing says "must pick up" then, no, I won't deliver it to you. Not even for an extra fee. 

If the listing says "new, never used" and I'm already listing it for a whole lot cheaper than brand new, no, don't haggle the price. Or, don't get annoyed when I reject your low-ball offer. 

Mostly it's the location bit that gets me.....Ummm, I've stated three different ways as to where I live/where the item is located. Three ways. Three times. In the listing.  And FB I know tells you when it pops up.  pay attention before you put yourself in line for the item. :sigh: 

Oh, yes, for sure. I've ran into such crap selling. Dh was selling a car. Some guy messaged just to tell him he was asking too much and no way he would get that out of it and offered a crazy low amount. Dh ended up getting what he was asking because it was a reasonable price. Or the lady that wanted to pick up something RIGHT THEN but I couldn't meet her until later. So, I tell her that and give her a different time to meet. Crickets. Crickets. I told her I'm moving on to the next person (I had half a dozen people that wanted it already). Then she finally answered that she changed her mind. 

I'm combing through listings now. It is so tedious. Where is it at? Check the value to see if it is a good price. Go through all the pics. Then message for more details and wait to see if you get a response. And hope people are honest and you don't waste your time because they don't actually have title or there is something messed up with it. 

32 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I totally read this as if you could buy and sell your pet peeves to other people and I thought, well, I'd love to get rid of some of mine, but who would want them? And then I realized what you meant.

Me, too! 🤭Thought it might be a just for fun thread of some sort. I was already thinking of two pet peeves I would love to sell. 

What an example of taking things literally. Lol.

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 5

If I could sell my pet peeves, I would sell:

incorrectly used punctuation 

masks not worn over the mouth & nose

food buffets

now for the on topic - people who over charge for shipping because they have the wrong sized box or because they use unnecessary packing materials- I do not need candlesticks from the dollar tree wrapped so.much.bubble. wrap. They would cost me one dollar to replace - they don’t need $5 worth of bubble wrap. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 3

I have a selling miracle story! I was selling a Trek kid's bike a few months ago. It was sitting in my garage unused and I didn't want to just give it away, but I wanted to get a few bucks and make some child happy. I put it online and had someone contact me that day. He didn't haggle at all because he knew it was a very low price. He said he was driving an hour so please let him know if I couldn't meet and then he showed up at the agreed public meeting spot exactly on time, paid cash, said his son had just outgrown his bike and they were excited to see the listing, and left. I wish all online sales were so quick and easy!

• Like 16

6 hours ago, Farrar said:

I totally read this as if you could buy and sell your pet peeves to other people and I thought, well, I'd love to get rid of some of mine, but who would want them? And then I realized what you meant.

Same. I was thinking “What? I can sell my pet peeves? Cool! But who would want them and why in the world would I want to buy anyone else’s?!” Then I realized I should probably get some sleep or something. Ha! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been selling a lot of stuff over the last year as I clean out the house.

I sold 8 old bikes in various stages of repair need twice. Yes. As in I sold them. They show up in a car that they can’t put it in or they are buying it for someone who will come get it later. They say they will come back for it the next day or whatever and go ahead and pay me bc I’m not holding anything. Then they never show up or respond to my msg asking are they ever coming for them? After a MONTH - I doubled my price and sold them again.  One bike I sold three times. Just. What. The. Hecken. I mean thanks for the money bc we can sure use it. But just. What. The. Hecken.

Me selling a large bag of “boys swim outfits sizes infant to 8” with a picture of them all and sizes listed underneath each item - why were so many people asking what the sizes would be for girls?   Just.  huh?

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I recently sold some used curriculum. Buyer was upset because *I should have told her* what other items she needed to make the program complete. (I had a detailed listing and photos of what I was selling.) Um...whatever. Do your research (like everyone else) and know what you're buying. 

What is the deal with this?  I've been selling used for years and years and this year it seems every buyer wants me to explain in extreme detail about each curriculum item, if I liked it, would it work for such and such a kid, and by the way, have you ever used this or this and then after soooo many questions I get the "nevermind" response.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tenaj said:

What is the deal with this?  I've been selling used for years and years and this year it seems every buyer wants me to explain in extreme detail about each curriculum item, if I liked it, would it work for such and such a kid, and by the way, have you ever used this or this and then after soooo many questions I get the "nevermind" response.  

Oh my word, yes!  So much of this. I think it's the masses of new homeschoolers, who aren't willing to put in the time to research. (Aren't willing or don't realize that that is PART OF THE JOB!)  I seriously wonder about the future of homeschooling, after some of the interactions I've had. 

• Like 1

Yeah I gave up selling curriculum. I always priced it to move and make someone else’s day. But then I felt like I needed to charge a consult fee.

People wanted me to explain the whole curriculum, how I used it and scheduled it, would it work for whatever kind of learner they had. I was really taken aback. When I used to purchase used curriculum I would know what I was looking for and either buy it or not. I’m pretty uncomfortable when people ask me questions like “do you think my son will like jt?” I just wanted to unload some books. I didn’t want to have to convince people and feel like I had to close the sale. I was just selling used curriculum. But I felt like the shoppers were looking at me like a sales rep for my products. Lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Soror said:

LOL. Sigh. In my defense I'd been trying to buy a car online when I made the post. After reading so many posts and trying to deal with people my brain was mush.

Soror, I love it and think it’s funny, but I’m sorry I’m fooling around on your thread. I’m surprised you haven’t said your worst pet peeve is people who hijack threads. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tenaj said:

I noticed this, too! And it's only started this year. In previous years, I could sell stuff super quick.  This year, everyone is a tire-kicker. The sellers have been weird, too. I gave up and listed all my stuff on eBay rather than fb. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tenaj said:

If I’ve priced to sell, then I don’t respond to any post that isn’t “I’ll pay this much what PayPal email do I send it to?”

Just. Nope. Don’t have time or energy. 

• Like 4

My favorite selling story is when we were selling a crossover SUV and had detailed pictures and a posted description.  This couple drives out and asks where the third row is.  Um there isn’t one.  We never had pictures of a third row that didn’t exist and didn’t have it in the description....because it didn’t exist.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Soror, I love it and think it’s funny, but I’m sorry I’m fooling around on your thread. I’m surprised you haven’t said your worst pet peeve is people who hijack threads. 😛

LOL-Nah- entirely ok. I'm happy for the comic relief, even at my expense. 

7 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Yeah I gave up selling curriculum. I always priced it to move and make someone else’s day. But then I felt like I needed to charge a consult fee.

People wanted me to explain the whole curriculum, how I used it and scheduled it, would it work for whatever kind of learner they had. I was really taken aback. When I used to purchase used curriculum I would know what I was looking for and either buy it or not. I’m pretty uncomfortable when people ask me questions like “do you think my son will like jt?” I just wanted to unload some books. I didn’t want to have to convince people and feel like I had to close the sale. I was just selling used curriculum. But I felt like the shoppers were looking at me like a sales rep for my products. Lol.

Geez. The last big batch of curriculum I sold I took to a Homeschool Store and consigned. I just dropped it off and they send me checks. I don't get as much money but it is hassle free.

• Like 4

So - we did get a car.

First car I found- screaming deal, excellent shape Honda Civic, 1 owner car, beautiful car. I message is it available and ask a few basic questions (tires, title(clean/salvage) issues, etc). Yes, it is available. No issues, all is good. Then we call because I'm ready to go on it. Well, he says he is going to give the dealer the first shot at it because he just bought a car and they wanted him to trade it in. He'll let us know in the morning if they buy it for his asking price. Really, why the hell did you list it if you weren't selling it. hmph. So, I'm on pins and needles waiting, waiting. He calls dh in the morning. Ya, dealership actually gave him over the asking price (it was a great deal). So, missed that one.

2nd car- Honda Accord-not a screaming deal but still a good deal, another super clean and beautiful car. I message asking if it is available and standard questions. Yes, it is available. Woot, Woot. Ok, we're ready to come look at it (and buy assuming all is as advertised). Well, I got someone that is supposed to be coming to buy it today. Really, dude. If you already have someone coming the answer is - it is pending- so you don't waste my time or your time.

Then yesterday I found an older model Honda Accord. I see it pretty much right after she posts it, I think I've got the jump on it and message straight away before I even message dh. No answer, no answer. In the meantime, a Camry I had seen yesterday that had been marked sold was reposted so we head to the dealership to look at it. It is not as nice looking of a car but a really good deal. When we are just a few minutes away from the dealership when Accord lady messages back, yes its available. I was ready then to turn around but I told the dealership I was coming. We get to the dealership, ya, no. Car had been in some kind of wreck (clean title) but dh grew up doing body work and mechanics with his dad and can spot all the signs (paint, panels, etc). I think the not so great pictures were on purpose.

So, I'm messaging for more details on the Accord while at the dealership as her post only said the car was just detailed, which is nice but not on my list of important questions. Everything is all great and it is available, sweet. I tell her we want it and are headed her way. 5 min later she messages back- ok, that works I've got someone coming to look at the car at 2. Oh, shit. It is after 12 and we are nearly 2 hrs away and need gas. I tell her I have cash and am ready to buy, if she could give me first crack I'd appreciate it. Her only answer was ok. We drive all the way down there and I'm really not sure if the car will still be there or if there will be other people there looking. I messaged as we got closer, thinking she'll let me know if she sells it first, right? But all I get is ok. Dh is all chill, he's like whatever. I'm ready to get this car buying business done as it stresses me out. We get there, sure enough there is another couple there. Damn. We park and come up to talk to the lady. Come to find out she was selling 2 cars and the other couple was looking at the other car. Instant relief.

The car was as nice as it looked in pictures. I was ready to hand her cash on the spot but of course we had to do the test drive and inspection. The engine was as clean as the interior of the car. Dh has never seen a used car in such great shape, it was the stereotypical  one owner old man car, it had been babied. New tires, battery, and alternator. It gives me total nostalgia for the Civic I had when we married. Even though it was an Accord and 10 yrs newer the body style is so similar. Her price was at the absolute bottom of KBB when she could have gotten top dollar easily(2k more). She told me I was the first one that messaged and seemed so serious about buying it she told all the other people that wanted it they would have to wait. Dh had wanted to be all nonchalant when talking to her to leave negotiating room. I was thinking I know this is a good deal and I don't care about negotiating at this point, it was worth more than what she was asking. In the end, he was happy I did it my way and we got the car. I'm now done car shopping until I get enough money saved for my next car. YA! 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 15

yep.  I once responded to a "serious inquiries only" ad - to ask about dimensions.  Then the guy emailed back because I wasn't going to buy it and only serious people were supposed to respond.

or the people who want something that is brand new and unused.  - hey, -- go buy your item in a store.   

• Like 1

even when giving things away for free . . . 

dh had boxes of lightbulbs he wanted to get rid of.  so I had a lot of interest, and was giving out information where people could pick up.  I bundled and put names on them.  Some people never showed.  Then - I relisted the rest.  and those two people who never showed . . . . responded that they wanted some.  I did reply "I already gave you my address so you could pick some up, you never came."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I have been selling a lot of stuff over the last year as I clean out the house.

I sold 8 old bikes in various stages of repair need twice. Yes. As in I sold them. They show up in a car that they can’t put it in or they are buying it for someone who will come get it later. They say they will come back for it the next day or whatever and go ahead and pay me bc I’m not holding anything. Then they never show up or respond to my msg asking are they ever coming for them? After a MONTH - I doubled my price and sold them again.  One bike I sold three times. Just. What. The. Hecken. I mean thanks for the money bc we can sure use it. But just. What. The. Hecken.

I advertised an acoustic upright piano.  I had pictures.  They showed up in a sedan. . . . . .  (It eventually went to a group with a 16' box truck with a hydraulic lift that were going to Burning Man.)

I finally got to the point when selling a large item . . . I'd flat out tell them you need a TRUCK. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

even when giving things away for free . . . 

dh had boxes of lightbulbs he wanted to get rid of.  so I had a lot of interest, and was giving out information where people could pick up.  I bundled and put names on them.  Some people never showed.  Then - I relisted the rest.  and those two people who never showed . . . . responded that they wanted some.  I did reply "I already gave you my address so you could pick some up, you never came."

People!

I was giving away some homeschool books and this one lady said she wanted them. Twice she said she would meet me (when I was already in town) and ghosted me. After that she asked me if I could message her a reminder before we were supposed to meet. Um nope. I dropped them at Goodwill.

• Like 1

I'm so glad you found your perfect car, Soror!!

I don't have a pet peeve story but a wonderful-wish-everything-could-be-like-this tale.

I am a Terry Pratchett fan; hence my board name. I was looking at the TP store and noticed there are collectable character figures. I typed the name of the character I wanted into FB marketplace and one showed up for sale about three hours away. I messaged the seller and it was available. Neither of us wanted to drive the 1.5 hours to meet but we both would periodically go to the city so we agreed to wait until one of was actually travelling in that direction.  Three months later, I found myself within 45 mins of her home. I messaged her and she was still holding it for me. We agreed to meet and did the deal. I am now the proud and completely unreasonably happy owner of Granny Weatherwax.

I mean who does that? Hold an item for three months with no contact from the buyer? I was tickled. She was happy it went to someone who loved it.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Oh my word, yes!  So much of this. I think it's the masses of new homeschoolers, who aren't willing to put in the time to research. (Aren't willing or don't realize that that is PART OF THE JOB!)  I seriously wonder about the future of homeschooling, after some of the interactions I've had. 

It is not just homeschooling. So many people don't read, don't pay attention, don't listen, want all information fed to them in tiny bites and preferably repeated multiple times.

I do customer service for an online bank. There is a ton of information on the website about how to open an account, how to get cash from ATMs, the fact that it is an online bank so there are no branches, how the accounts work. Yet people will call and pretty much want me to read the site to them. So many times a day I so want to say "is an online bank right for you?" but of course I cannot. People will call after they have opened an account and ask where the (for example) Phoenix branch is. There is no branch in Phoenix, nor anywhere else, which would have been clear to you if you had read anything on the site. Or they will ask if they can open the account over the phone and when I point them to the place online to go, want me to stay on the phone with them while they fill out the online application, just in case...

• Like 1

I'm currently selling a bed. 

First person: Scam

Second person: Set it all up. Then, after agreed upon time, she says, I only have a hatchback. Will it fit? No?!? Can you deliver to XX (45 minutes away)? 

Third person: Lowball of $20 dollars. Um, no, I'd rather donate it now.

Fourth person: Set it all up with lots of back and forth - new pics, etc. Sends, "Thank you, See you tomorrow! You are a smoke free and cat free house, correct?" "No, we have 2 cats." "oh, then I don't want it." In her defense, she may have simply forgotten to ask although it sounded like she just assumed everyone would be both smoke and cat free. Setting it up took no less than 7 messages, and then, bam! no sale. 

If it's still not sold by next weekend, it's getting donated. 

ETA: 

DH's selling some spark plugs he found in the garage recently. Box of 4, never opened. Bought them just a couple of months ago. Best response was: "I need 6". DH answered, "Well, I have 4 as shown in picture." "My car needs 6." DH says, "I have 4." Guy never responded. 

Edited by historically accurate
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, livetoread said:

I'm always tickled by the posts that mention a stain on something but say it's easily removed with a little cleaning. Um, then why didn't you do it? Did you really never even lightly clean it?

Right? I saw a post for an old oven.  The seller said the element wasn't working, but could be easily purchased and replaced.  Um, ok, so if it's so easy, why don't YOU do it and make a few more bucks on the oven? Most people aren't going to buy an oven WITH NO ELEMENT.  

• Like 1