Menu

What would you stash for future owners to find?

saraha

We tore off and are rebuilding a mud room addition to our house. House was built in 1890’s. We were hoping to find something cool as we dug through all the layers but didn’t find anything, so we thought we would hide something. The builders were regaling our 11 year old with tales of gold and coins and things they have found hidden in walls over the years and he really wants to do that but we can’t think of anything! They are finishing up Monday so we have the weekend to think of something.

please share any ideas you have, thanks!

We moved into a house where at least one child compulsively stuffed things into the cold air returns, lol! I think the most consistent find was random sports cards. Pokemon or other game cards would probably work too. 

I like the newspaper idea, but I think it could fade or disintegrate depending on climate conditions.

I think anything pop culture that might be readily compared to something like it many years later would be fun. I think half the fun of finding things is that they are often random and accidental.

Oh, maybe postcards from your local area so they can see what is the same and what has changed would be fun! 

• Like 3

Found in old walls: comic books, buttons, coins, barrettes, small toys like toy soldiers and cars. 

Assembling a time capsule would be fun. A mask would be an obviously timely item, with perhaps a newspaper: not that people often have the physical ones lying around any more, but they'd give a sense of today's issues. Coins are always good. Whatever little things your kids think represent the era best from their point of view. Are friendship bracelets popular still? Lists of favorite movies, tv shows, books, music?

Sounds like a fun project!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

picture of the house from outside

You know what this made me think about: the old house I fixed up had been home to a large family in years past, but it was very small: like, one real bedroom. I would have loved to know how they used the spaces. Maybe a plan of the house, with "girls' room," "boys' room," "kitchen," "attic bedroom", etc. Photos would be wonderful. A plan of the yard, with information about significant plants ("Maiden's Blush" apple, grafted from Granddad's; oak tree planted 2021). 

The pickle jar sounds good.

• Like 4

Our house came with a disc with photos before the remodel/modernization. It wasn’t in the walls, lol, but a very cool bit of history that has been handed down from various owners.

If it’s an old house, it would be neat to include any stories you know about the house. Ours was once used as a credit union—I can’t find any information about how but it’s a well known bit of history in the neighborhood. I’d love to know more.

• Like 5

Sweet (kinda sad) story. My grandfather had Alzheimers and was fading away for years before he eventually had to go to a nursing home. Part of his dementia included hiding things in very random places, and he became particularly concerned his money was being stolen because it kept disappearing. My nana was a bit of a neat freak and so was always trying to put things back as they should be, and had to always tell him that no, she wasn't stealing the money. He died in 2010, she died in 2018. 

My mom showed me this note he left my nana: "My love, I am probably gone now. I am hiding all of the cash in the pipe underneath the shed. I hope you are safe. Love --" She had found the note while cleaning out the house after my grandmother's death, at the back of a drawer in his room. So my nana probably never found it. 

Unfortunately the shed is filled to the brim with a relative's belongings now and so we can't investigate if his stash is still there, or if he even did what he had intended to do. 

However, the thing I can speak to is that the same house has a wall filled with jars in the patio. You can see some of the jars through a crack. It was where they stored canning supplies. I guess when she stopped canning they just decided to wall that up with everything as it was. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

Our house came with a disc with photos before the remodel/modernization. It wasn’t in the walls, lol, but a very cool bit of history that has been handed down from various owners.

If it’s an old house, it would be neat to include any stories you know about the house. Ours was once used as a credit union—I can’t find any information about how but it’s a well known bit of history in the neighborhood. I’d love to know more.

Yes original architecture drawing and stories of what happened in the house.

• Like 3

We have now-deceased family members who created hiding spots in the house to store/hide valuables. In both cases, they sold the house, and then several months later wrote to the new owners telling them where those spots were.  I don't think they left anything in the hidden spots.  It's too bad, that would have been fun. 

If it's something you expect to be hidden for decades, small bills and current coins could be fun.  It's amazing how much our legal tender has changed since I became an adult. I expect that before my lifetime is over, cash will have been phased out. 

• Like 2

We found a trunk full of old ladies shoes, in the house we moved into when I was a child.  I think my dad was hoping for something more exciting when he found the trunk.    He did find a nice camera though too, but he somehow managed to figure out who it belonged to and returned it.  It had belonged to a previous owner but not the most recent owner.   

• Like 1

Maybe a currently popular doll that reflects something of pop culture?  Or a deck of souvenir playing cards representing something unlikely to remain "in" for long?  A current issue of a magazine?  A ticket to a nearby amusement park, ball game, or concert?

The only thing I remember finding in the walls was an old key.  My childhood home was built in 1929, and the key was probably from back around then, but I never did find out what it went to.  For a long time, I searched for a safe / treasure chest / secret passage that I was sure was hidden somewhere ....

• Like 1

25 years ago, our upstairs friend/neighbor was moving state, and came to us with a massive bag of pot that he couldn't take across state lines. Did we want it?  Well, we were not the smoking type, but we were so stunned, that we said sure. It was like a pound of weed. It was a huge bag.  We figured that we would pass it on to someone else who would really appreciate it. Well, within 2 months, my dh was transferred to NZ, and now we were in the same situation that our friend had been, but we didn't have the guts to offer it to anyone. We were just too chicken. So.... What to do?!?! Where to put it?!?!? We were in an old apartment building that had fireplaces that no longer worked (closed chimneys) which we kept candles in. But the flu still opened. So we opened it, stuffed it up, and closed it quickly before the bag fell out. I assume that someone in the last 25 years has opened that flu, and I bet they were very surprised.  🙂

Edited by lewelma
  • Haha 3

My brain has a difficult time recognizing that brand new things will someday be old.  It’s not that I’m dumb, lol, but I’m sitting here, working to wrap my mind around the idea that, someday, the house we’re building will be 100 years old. And now you all have me wanting to plan something cool.

Normal/basic stuff, definitely. But I want to come up with some sort of added mystery. 

In our current house, we just wrote all our names on the subfloor.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SKL said:

We do have a locked safe in our current house.  I never did find out the combination to open the safe.  I have always wondered whether the previous owner left anything in there ....

That would drive me to distraction! Absolutely bonkers!

12 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

Stumbled on this kinda-related thread this morning. The one with the train is amazing. Now I want to make miniature niches in my house.

That is sooooo cooool! I wish I had even a fraction of the talent that he/she has!

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

My brain has a difficult time recognizing that brand new things will someday be old.  It’s not that I’m dumb, lol, but I’m sitting here, working to wrap my mind around the idea that, someday, the house we’re building will be 100 years old. And now you all have me wanting to plan something cool.

Normal/basic stuff, definitely. But I want to come up with some sort of added mystery. 

In our current house, we just wrote all our names on the subfloor.

Oh please do! When they ripped off the floor we were all gathered around just hoping there would be something there, and the piles of rock they used for a foundation were such a disappointment 😆

• Like 1

This is family project so the kids are giving ideas too. We are so far including a picture of us, a letter telling as much of the history as we can written in cursive 😉, and an MP3 player with earbuds. Same child wants to include my old cell, we might if there’s room. I suggested a lego guy, but lego kid is not sure about that 😆, and a dollar and one of each coin.

this is harder than I thought!

our local paper didn’t have an interesting front page at all, sonot sure whether to put that in. I was hoping for something about COVID or 9/11, but got minutes on a boring city council meeting one town over 🙄

Edited by saraha

55 minutes ago, saraha said:

This is family project so the kids are giving ideas too. We are so far including a picture of us, a letter telling as much of the history as we can written in cursive 😉, and an MP3 player with earbuds. Same child wants to include my old cell, we might if there’s room. I suggested a lego guy, but lego kid is not sure about that 😆, and a dollar and one of each coin.

this is harder than I thought!

our local paper didn’t have an interesting front page at all, sonot sure whether to put that in. I was hoping for something about COVID or 9/11, but got minutes on a boring city council meeting one town over 🙄

Put in a charger for that MP3 player.

• Like 1