Menu

Can I vent? 1st update in post 1.

TexasProud

27 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Of course, as a doc, my husband could often get into the system and look anyway. 

This surprises me. I didn't think they could look up family members. A nurse my DH worked with got fired because someone else opened her medical record, and she used the same computer and didn't know her own record was open. 

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

This surprises me. I didn't think they could look up family members. A nurse my DH worked with got fired because someone else opened her medical record, and she used the same computer and didn't know her own record was open. 

Well my husband operated on our son( well, really just a reduction under anesthesia not an operation), his grandmother and several uncles. May be the difference between big city and small town. If the family practice docs couldn't look up or treat relatives we would have a big problem since half the town is related to each other.  We are the "newcomers" and have only been here for 25 years. When we first moved here, my ob-gyn lived across the street and we did things together.  We go to Sunday School and do/did all sorts of activities with my family practice doc. ( Well, before Covid...)We have been friends for as long as we lived here. Same with his partner.  And also wonder if it is different rules for nurses than for docs. 

Edited by TexasProud
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Very good idea. I have no clue if this is going to be her doctor or not. This is her first time to see him.  Her care feels very fractured. Her primary care doc was out of the office this week, so she only talked to a PA this week.  So, I am a little unsure when you say get a nurse on my side. What nurse? Which doc? Nothing is scheduled but this appointment with the oncologist. I am assuming he will tell her what the possibilities are and schedule tests. That is all that will probably happen this time I am thinking. But I don't know.

Oh I see. Yes, that complicates things. In situations like this I would just run my mouth til I got info haha. I would tell the receptionist or the nurse at the first visit my situation and say who is the best contact for me? Then put the burden on them to give me a name. If they don't know, they will deal with me calling and asking to speak with whatever nurse is assigned to the current dr she is seeing. They may get sick of passing the phone around. I would hope in time they would have one consistent person for me to speak with, but if not, I would still make it known at the first visit that given the situation I may be calling periodically to stay informed. I would hope they would be understanding of this, and possibly put a note in her file. 

Edited: or it may be that you won't have a follow-up person til the second appt. I'm sure you'll get a better feel once you go as to how to navigate it. 

Edited by heartlikealion

On 9/10/2021 at 8:30 AM, FuzzyCatz said:

One thing is I have kind of let go of worrying about vaccinated young adults on college campuses.  IF they do get covid, I think it is very, very likely to be a very minor illness for that crew.  I did set my college kid up with a little pack of ibuprofen, tylenol, pulse ox, elderberry, emergen-c, etc in case he should need to be quarantined.  We also have a good handle on local contact free grocery and food delivery.  I'm also pushing for a flu shot.   I am not planning to hop in the car immediately if he is quarantined or tests positive.  I know a number of teens/young adults now that have been almost asymptomatic/minor cold level symptoms.  I can see feeling differently for students that may have comorbidities.  

DD is vaccinated and her college is requiring masks on campus, but allowing religious/philisophical exemptions.  She is not wearing her mask anywhere else though, and her peer group has resumed social gatherings, parties, etc.  😳  I'm having a hard time with it.   I know the odds are good that if she gets it, it will be mild.  But still...

• Sad 1