Menu

Event attire?????

Carrie12345

6 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

I found this black tie blue jean

“Paris and I attended the TE holiday party in our finest black tie meets blue jean attire – I don’t usually wear jeans, but couldn’t pass up the opportunity to dress in theme so I made it work with a waisted skinny jean – that happen to be on sale for $34! I found this lace blouse with a built in velvet bow tie and paired it with a old satin black blazer of mine to meet the “black tie” requirements. Finishing touches were a bold lip with matching velvet pumps, my go-to leopard clutch and a quirky glasses bangle”

Okay, that does help. 
I have a feeling I won’t go, but at least that won’t be the reason and I can come up with something if I do decide to!

• Like 1

Super common here. 

Wear your nicest jeans, fancy top, jewelry to match "black tie" kind of thing. You could do fancy top/pretty blazer, or just fancy top/jewelry. You could do jeans or denim skirt probably (I'm guessing young ladies will likely do the jean skirt/fancy cowboy boots look, or at least, that's what it would be like down here). 

the description you linked/quoted seems pretty spot on. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

I LOATHE those kinds of dress cues. 

The absolute worst, and most common, is "black tie optional," but there are any number of other irritants. 

Just.tell.me. 

To be fair, they really are telling her. Black Tie/Blue Jeans is a well-known theme, and you can readily find examples even if you've never heard of it. It's not like 'black tie optional' imo because they're not leaving you to guess.  I mean, it's right there in the name, like White Linen Night or Red Dress Run 😄

• Like 2

7 hours ago, katilac said:

To be fair, they really are telling her. Black Tie/Blue Jeans is a well-known theme, and you can readily find examples even if you've never heard of it. It's not like 'black tie optional' imo because they're not leaving you to guess.  I mean, it's right there in the name, like White Linen Night or Red Dress Run 😄

Well, it sounds like maybe it’s popular in the south, but I’ve definitely never heard of it in the northern Mid-Atlantic! And I probably should have googled it first but, honestly, I assumed it was just a made up thing, lol. It had not crossed my mind that it might be an established concept.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, katilac said:

Never heard of it either.  You say it tells you what to do? So you're saying, it's literally: rent the top half of a tux and leave the pants at home and put your jeans on instead? And sneakers instead of dress shoes, then?

And it might be descriptive for the men, but what about the ladies? Black tie would imply a full length evening gown. So that, but put skinny jeans and sneakers underneath? Totally ruins the line. Should I try to hitch up the gown, or tuck it in somehow to show off the jeans half?? 🤔

• Haha 1

re regionally understood code

8 hours ago, katilac said:

Fair enough; the thread's made clear that "black tie, blue jean" does, indeed, instantly convey an established look to at least a portion of the guests... much as "garden party" or "nautical" would, as well.

As my fellow Yankees immediately above made hilariously clear, the code hasn't yet completely crossed over, LOL... but I expect it will in due time.

56 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Although I had never heard of this as an "official" designation for an event, I'm very familiar with the general look. And a quick trip to Google-Land turned up references to it as a "dress code" dating back to the early 2000s. 

I think it's fun, and I would much prefer it to anything more traditionally dressy. 

Okay, we get that you southerners all understand this.  But this Yankee is still confused.  Should I show up in a denim evening dress, like so:

image.jpeg.c99439fc73ada88f353967ef71423063.jpeg

Or am I supposed to wear my evening dress over jeans, like so:
image.png.be894cf9bfe295ee81a3c4c08a22d09c.png

Or y'all are just going to have to share some images of what this actually is, 'cause I'm still not sure how to mix 'black tie' with 'jeans' as a woman... 😂

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Okay, we get that you southerners all understand this.  But this Yankee is still confused.  Should I show up in a denim evening dress, like so:

Or y'all are just going to have to share some images of what this actually is, 'cause I'm still not sure how to mix 'black tie' with 'jeans' as a woman... 😂

Okay, first, I absolutely do not identify as a "southerner." I've lived in Florida for a couple of decades, but I didn't grow up here or anything. (Just sayin' 😉 )-

But also, did you look at the link kristin0713 posted? It had a whole bunch of cute photos. 

Also these:

https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/arts-and-entertainment/2019/11/instride-black-ties-and-bluejeans

https://thecountryfarmhome.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-black-tie-and-blue-jeans-challenge.html

https://socialmiami.com/events/17th-annual-black-tie-blue-jeans-benefit-dinner-auction/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Okay, first, I absolutely do not identify as a "southerner." I've lived in Florida for a couple of decades, but I didn't grow up here or anything. (Just sayin' 😉 )-

But also, did you look at the link kristin0713 posted? It had a whole bunch of cute photos. 

Also these:

https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/arts-and-entertainment/2019/11/instride-black-ties-and-bluejeans

https://thecountryfarmhome.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-black-tie-and-blue-jeans-challenge.html

https://socialmiami.com/events/17th-annual-black-tie-blue-jeans-benefit-dinner-auction/

oh my! I think I officially hate black tie, blue jean and this is the first time I'm ever hearing the term

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Also these:

I'm just saying, in that third link, in spite of the declared dress code, all of the women are in full evening dress, no jeans, and half the men have no jeans on either (though they range from full-on actual black-tie tux to white tux, to tux except apparently a long rather than bow-tie... but they forgot to swap the rented tux pants for denim...)  Ah, the folks at Downton Abbey would faint at this hodgepodge (my tongue is firmly in my cheek here, in case that's not clear...) 🤪

• Haha 2

I don’t know that I’d call it black tie, but dressed up dark jean outfits have been the go to for lots of parties for the last 5-6 years here. And we are not a fashionable place. 
Honestly I think it was about 15 years ago when trendy people here started wearing it. 
I mean no dresses over jeans, but that first look- that’s been here for years. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

“Black tie, blue jean”

What in the world does this mean?  
Context: Outdoor evening gala, at a resort, with cocktails, buffet, dancing, and campfire. Probably quite chilly after sunset. 
Purpose: animal shelter fundraiser 

A hospital I worked for had a “Denim and Diamonds” gala. Basically, it meant the women dressed in formal gowns and the men wore blue jeans, no ties and jackets. This was many years ago - things may have changed. 

37 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

m at work thinking about this thread. 🤣

I’d totally wear that 2nd one to any Friday night dinner (but in black, please and thank you, lol.) But I’d freeze my tush off at an outdoor, evening, October event, and be afraid of going up in flames/melting near a campfire.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’m at work thinking about this thread. 🤣

75A2DB63-688A-4F4B-935D-12E77DA9D12D.jpeg

00747B9B-CFC3-41A0-863E-42C4B64BD81E.jpeg

D5F7D901-A98A-4AB2-8B63-EE14F8D33A48.jpeg

This is exactly how my niece (40) dresses for almost anything. Coming to my house to have lunch? This. We’re going shopping in our college town? This. A concert in Atlanta? This.   (However, an SEC football game means a team jersey and red and black sequin tennis shoes)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’d totally wear that 2nd one to any Friday night dinner (but in black, please and thank you, lol.) But I’d freeze my tush off at an outdoor, evening, October event, and be afraid of going up in flames/melting near a campfire.

The second is probably my favorite, but it doesn’t fit me, isn’t my style, and I think I just really like the nubby green silk trim. 

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’m at work thinking about this thread. 🤣

75A2DB63-688A-4F4B-935D-12E77DA9D12D.jpeg

00747B9B-CFC3-41A0-863E-42C4B64BD81E.jpeg

D5F7D901-A98A-4AB2-8B63-EE14F8D33A48.jpeg

while I think this is a beautiful outfit, it would never cross my mind that there is anything black tie about it.  But I'm terrible with fashion and what is appropriate for what events.  I'd wear something like that on a daily basis.

• Like 3

Just now, hjffkj said:

while I think this is a beautiful outfit, it would never cross my mind that there is anything black tie about it.  But I'm terrible with fashion and what is appropriate for what events.  I'd wear something like that on a daily basis.

Exactly how I feel

2 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

maybe not the first outfit.  But the second one is certainly closer to a regular day outfit to me