Menu

Paint fiasco

HS Mom in NC

So it's been 3 years since we had the entire inside of the house professionally painted before we moved in.  It's time for touch up paint.  I'm using that actual leftover paint that was used in my house and labeled with which rooms' walls they went on. 

They.don't.match. They're all a just slightly too dark.  I don't get direct light into the rooms due to directional orientation and porch over hangs. I have to stick to low light tolerant plants because those that need more than that die while low light plants thrive.

I didn't know this was a possibility, so I painted lots of small scuffed and scratched areas in multiple rooms: living room, kitchen, entry way, hallway, stairwell.

The only realistic possibility I see is entirely repainting each room I tried to touch up. 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sad 8

So sorry. That happened to me too, but it assumed I didn't mix it will enough. In my case I was painting a walk-in closet, so it isn't particularly noticeable. Is it possible that after a month or two it will match? A mysterious chemical process akin to paint drying that lightens the color? If not, then in a month or two perhaps you will be up for repainting. (Sorry)

1 minute ago, JennyD said:

Oh dear.  Is it really noticeable or can you, like, pretend it's okay for a while?  (Always my preferred response to problems.) 

Maybe it will fade?  Or you just might stop seeing it, which is almost the same thing.

Yeah, it looks like the paint is still wet (darker) in patches all over the walls, not only where the light hits but also in shadier parts. 

1 minute ago, SusanC said:

So sorry. That happened to me too, but it assumed I didn't mix it will enough. In my case I was painting a walk-in closet, so it isn't particularly noticeable. Is it possible that after a month or two it will match? A mysterious chemical process akin to paint drying that lightens the color? If not, then in a month or two perhaps you will be up for repainting. (Sorry)

Yeah, I'm think my fall break in October is now going to be paint focused instead of flower bulb focused. 

• Sad 3

I am so sorry. We've painted with leftovers and not had issues.

I wonder if the type of roller matters? I know different rollers leave different patterns/sizes of stippling, and I can imagine that makes the light reflect differently?

If you have enough leftover paint, could you find one area and experiment with feathering out from the stuff that's newly painted? I was told to expect slight mismatches (not our experience), and to make them blend, I was told that you use less and less paint on the roller as you move out from where you are spot touching things. I didn't have to do this, so I am not sure how well it works.

Alternatively, I was told you can spot pain by just dabbing the with the end of the brush--also not something I've done. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I am so sorry. We've painted with leftovers and not had issues.

I wonder if the type of roller matters? I know different rollers leave different patterns/sizes of stippling, and I can imagine that makes the light reflect differently?

If you have enough leftover paint, could you find one area and experiment with feathering out from the stuff that's newly painted? I was told to expect slight mismatches (not our experience), and to make them blend, I was told that you use less and less paint on the roller as you move out from where you are spot touching things. I didn't have to do this, so I am not sure how well it works.

Alternatively, I was told you can spot pain by just dabbing the with the end of the brush--also not something I've done. 

I tried feathering.  It's a smooth wall with no texture and that's the kind of roller I used.

• Sad 1