Menu

What would you do?

fraidycat

Say you have tons of apples sitting in your garage. And the tree is still absolutely loaded, and you're offering free apples to everyone you know.

Say you got stung by a wasp while picking said apples and your pinky finger huuuurts!

Say your husband goes to the grocery store and buys groceries.

Say that he... buys a freaking bag of apples! 😖😖😖

Do you:

a) strangle him

b) strangle him

c) strangle him

d) other (please explain below 😁)

59A0F7A5-3ABC-49A5-BD48-7660C290ACF8.jpeg

A40AC330-35BE-407B-87C5-88BF0B55B82B.jpeg

Edit: This is really just a lighthearted thread. I'm not actually angry, or violent. Lol. Just a little gobsmacked.

But, you creative ladies might be able to help me come up with an appropriate "revenge". 😁😁

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 25

There’s thousands of apple varieties. And vast differences between types.

If my husband wanted a different variety, he’s an adult that can buy whatever he wants.

And people’s preferences vary…there are varieties people in my house love that other people don’t enjoy at all. You can’t force people to like something.

Yeah I am really wondering what he was thinking. Maybe he has a strong preference for another variety? He wants to make a pie and your apples are not good pie apples?  He's unaware of the thousands of apples you already have? 

There just must be something more to this story.

I am pretty sure if he had taken them back to the store they would have had to throw them away.  I think the food bank is a good option if they will take unpackaged food. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, wathe said:

Mine did this with cucumbers.  We were up to our eyeballs with cucumbers from the garden.  And what did he buy at the grocery store?  More cucumbers....

At least I'm not alone. Lol

7 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

He's now in charge of getting rid of the home grown apples. I'm heading into applapocalypse here too - 8 trees.

Eight! I can't even imagine. One tree is plenty!

7 hours ago, Amira said:

What kinds of apples are on your trees?

I'm not sure, but they are very delicious.  To me they taste very similar to a Granny Smith apple, but a little sweeter so they are a little less tart.

4 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

😂

i just really want to know what he was thinking? What did he say? That’sa lot of apples!

I don't think he really was thinking. He was making sure he had stuff for his and DS's lunches and he grabbed them out of habit.

He said "These are for lunches, those are for other things and we might not have enough." Lol - it really was just an honest brain fart, so he was jokingly making up reasons.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Those are some beautiful apples!

I think I’d be making sure he helps with the processing (and clean up) of all those apples! And/or donations. He’d probably do that anyway.

And I’d be torturing him with bad apple jokes for the next 4 weeks or so. Oh, and maybe an apple under his pillow every night, one on his desk in the office every morning…

• Haha 5

Whenever he asks for something (water, screwdriver, toothpaste) always hand him an apple at the same time. This requires preplanning and an apron with large pockets, but will work especially well if you hide all the screwdrivers and toothpastes. 

Or you make your new phrase for finishing anything, "How do you like dem apples!" But say it kinda menacingly with eye contact and casually tossing an apple up and down (again, apron and pockets for preparation) so he understands that, yes, he likes dem apples. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

3 hours ago, marbel said:

Yeah I am really wondering what he was thinking. Maybe he has a strong preference for another variety? He wants to make a pie and your apples are not good pie apples?  He's unaware of the thousands of apples you already have? 

There just must be something more to this story.

I am pretty sure if he had taken them back to the store they would have had to throw them away.  I think the food bank is a good option if they will take unpackaged food. 

They apparently make really good pie. My aunt has already made a pie out of some of them and took it to my mom's house. I'm GF so I couldn't taste-test it.

He bought Granny Smith apples. Ours taste very, very similar; just a little sweeter. It was truly just an honest mistake made out of habit because he's the main grocery shopper.

I will check to see if our food bank will take some, or post them to our local free pages online. 

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, fraidycat said:

Eight! I can't even imagine. One tree is plenty!

They are old and some don't bear well. For fun, I  have joined the Royal Horticultural Society for a year, as they will identify fruit for you. I just sent off the first samples - three beautiful golden cooking apples plus a twig. It's the tree that ripens first, with apples that bake perfectly into fluffy flesh that looks like sorbet.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

They are old and some don't bear well. For fun, I  have joined the Royal Horticultural Society for a year, as they will identify fruit for you. I just sent off the first samples - three beautiful golden cooking apples plus a twig. It's the tree that ripens first, with apples that bake perfectly into fluffy flesh that looks like sorbet.

That sounds delicious. I hope you’ll let us know the variety when you find out!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bibiche said:

That sounds delicious. I hope you’ll let us know the variety when you find out!

Apparently it's an early Victorian variety called Lord Suffield. Makes me wonder how old the tree is - that's about the time the house was built.

https://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/fruit-trees/apple/cooking/lord-suffield

• Like 8

20 hours ago, cintinative said:

I know! Have your dh coordinate with a local girl scout/AHG troop to start a "let them eat (apple) cake" campaign and bring cakes/bread to EMTs, hospitals, fire fighters, nursing homes, etc.  

My kids have done chocolate dipped apples because they like the Rocky Mountain ones

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/63150/chocolate-dipped-apples/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Just a curious rabbit trail, can someone (not necessarily you because you might not want to) take a cutting of an old tree like that and get a new vigorous tree from it?

I'm not sure if that works with old trees. One could maybe try growing from a pip, but It's not self-fertile, so I don't know if the seeds would come true. 

In our situation,  we have enough apple trees. At the back of my mind when I sent off half the crop for identification was reassuring myself that this wasn't some impossibly rare tree that needed protecting.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Just a curious rabbit trail, can someone (not necessarily you because you might not want to) take a cutting of an old tree like that and get a new vigorous tree from it?

It’s difficult to root a tree from a cutting. Usually a cutting is grafted onto hardy rootstock to produce a new apple tree. There are a number of nurseries that sell scions for grafting if you want to try your hand at it. We’re thinking about trying this as a fun homeschooling project next spring.

This tree is, happily, still available in the UK. I haven’t found a US source for it yet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1