Menu

Perimenopause and smells

I've developed a sudden averse reaction to the smell of cilantro, after a lifetime of cilantro love. Some cilantro smells like--underarms? Feces? Something dead? I dunno. I can stick the smelly bunches in everyone else's face and say "smell," and they're all just, "It smells like cilantro." Meanwhile, I can barely keep from vomiting. I had no idea it could be tied to hormones, but that would explain why it's not every bunch. I keep thinking I'm buying rotten cilantro. Anyway--thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

Oh. That was a first pregnancy sign for me, for sure. I would be scared if I were you! 

I'm not having (any more than usual) trouble with smells in perimenopause. I would gladly trade smelling troubles for the 25 pounds I put on in the last year. 😩

• Like 1

For a looooong time I had increased sensitivity to smells and nausea every single cycle when I was ovulating. It was weird and I went through about a bajillion pregnancy tests and they were always negative - every month for several years.

Until that month when I was 44.5 and peed on a stick and it had a plus sign lol!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Momto6inIN said:

For a looooong time I had increased sensitivity to smells and nausea every single cycle when I was ovulating. It was weird and I went through about a bajillion pregnancy tests and they were always negative - every month for several years.

Until that month when I was 44.5 and peed on a stick and it had a plus sign lol!

This is not funny. 😂😭😳🤦

• Haha 2

I have had the crazy smell thing ever since pregnancy. It just never went away. I swear, somebody could fart a block away and I would still smell it. And my youngest is 8. When will it end???

Also, <TMI warning> I thought perimenopause was supposed to cause vaginal dryness. My lady parts seem to have gone in the opposite direction. I keep thinking that I *must* have an infection or something because things have gone cray cray down there. But, every time I go to have it checked out, there is nothing wrong. I even went on BCPs to try to regulate my hormones, but it didn't help and just made me gain weight, so I went off of them. I really hope menopause brings and end to all of this. Between bleeding like a stuck pig and walking around like I'm in a perpetual state of teenage arousal, I cannot deal anymore.  

1 minute ago, SeaConquest said:

I have had the crazy smell thing ever since pregnancy. It just never went away. I swear, somebody could fart a block away and I would still smell it. And my youngest is 8. When will it end???

Also, <TMI warning> I thought perimenopause was supposed to cause vaginal dryness. My lady parts seem to have gone in the opposite direction. I keep thinking that I *must* have an infection or something because things have gone cray cray down there. But, every time I go to have it checked out, there is nothing wrong. I even went on BCPs to try to regulate my hormones, but it didn't help and just made me gain weight, so I went off of them. I really hope menopause brings and end to all of this. Between bleeding like a stuck pig and walking around like I'm in a perpetual state of teenage arousal, I cannot deal anymore.  

Sounds like the perfect time to get pregnant with twins!  😂

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Sounds like the perfect time to get pregnant with twins!  😂

Ha!! We both would have loved to have had more kids, but with my terrible PPD, my DH couldn't run for a vasectomy fast enough. We both thought we were one and done after Sacha. I got pregnant with Ronen 10 days before my DH had his appointment for a vasectomy. Ronen is my Leo. My strong-willed child. He really really wanted to be born!! 🙂 (We were obviously both thrilled to have a second child, but my PPD was horrific again, so my DH had a V after Ronen was born.)

• Like 1