Menu

What’s “in”?

sangtarah

I’m choosing new colors for our new house- the open kitchen/dining room/living room space. Besides gray (blah), what is out there? In our current house we went with blues/white/light turquoise colors. The new house has fairly neutral taupe-ish tile, gray walls, maple cabinets, black granite, black appliances. I’d like to brighten it up a bit. 

I think teal is on its way out and yellow is on its way in, but I think you should pick whatever color makes you feel happy OR do what I do- I have seasonal bins for accessories and pillow covers and such that I rotate in & out. I leave the house fairly neutral to boring coastal & change pillow covers, floral arrangements, and hand towels for new ones. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Katy said:

I think teal is on its way out and yellow is on its way in, but I think you should pick whatever color makes you feel happy OR do what I do- I have seasonal bins for accessories and pillow covers and such that I rotate in & out. I leave the house fairly neutral to boring coastal & change pillow covers, floral arrangements, and hand towels for new ones. 

This is me (kind of). I prefer neutral shades on fixed parts--flooring, cabinets, walls, large furnishings. We don't like to paint well enough to want to change it more that it has to be. Then I like splashes of color through easily changed out items--pictures, throws, mats, etc. I don't change things out much, but I could if I wanted to, without much work/hassle. Even through the height of its popularity, I never cared a lot for gray, because it feels cold to me, even though I think light gray with white trim looks neat and clean. I prefer either warmer light shades, or cooler light blues/greens. (For ex., our master is painted a shade that looks almost white, but is actually the lightest on a card of sage. It feels so clean and restful, and against the white trim you can see the contrast. Our son's room is mostly a classic cream shade that is quite nice, with a blue wall he painted for contrast.)

ETA: Other DS's room is lime green and dark gray, but I'm trying to focus on preferences here...😄

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Katy said:

Oh BOY! 

MY yellow will be in style for about 10 minutes!

I love yellow paint. And that's what I've had for about 10 years. Who cares what's in as long as you love it!

• Like 14

17 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Grey is actually on its way out.

What's in right now are warm colors: canyon clay (like a southwest red), deep olive green, beige (for real), and burnt orange.  On the cooler end of warm colors, I'm seeing navy, deep green with blue undertones, peachy pink, and sage.

I’m so happy to see this change. I see the beauty in the greys and blues and whites, but color makes my soul happy.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I’m so happy to see this change. I see the beauty in the greys and blues and whites, but color makes my soul happy.

Me too! I can think those pretty magazine homes are lovely while still knowing that I would have the paint, ladder, and roller out in 20 minutes if I lived there. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Beth S said:

I'd love to see pictures (if you're comfortable sharing)!

I’ll post for a little while, but I’ll delete them soon, so please don’t quote. 
Some of the smaller pieces of furniture will change, as well as artwork. 

Edited by sangtarah
Removed photos
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, sangtarah said:

I’m choosing new colors for our new house- the open kitchen/dining room/living room space. Besides gray (blah), what is out there? In our current house we went with blues/white/light turquoise colors. The new house has fairly neutral taupe-ish tile, gray walls, maple cabinets, black granite, black appliances. I’d like to brighten it up a bit. 

Places like Target and IKEA are usually all about the current trends.  You might have a look at their website at the home decor items to get a sense of "in" color palettes. If you want something high end styled you could look at Pottery Barn's website and/or other big trend setting/following home goods stores.

• Like 1

Yellow is in, but I am not a fan. We painted our new kitchen a soft creamy color. It has maple cabinets and a terra cotta tile floor that I am not really fond of but it looks better with the cream walls than the dark, olivy beige that the previous owners had. I think it is going to look really good when we can afford new counter tops. They are currently navy blue which is definitely not my thing for a kitchen. DD and I have a collection of antique blue canning jars out on the counters storing all kinds of pretty things in them. It looks nice.

Our living room was painted Helium Blue (Behr ).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Honestly, I think if you worry too much about what's "in" or trendy, your home will look like a dated showpiece sooner rather than later. If you just get what you like, and suit it to your own personal tastes, then your home will look comfortable and lived in.

This is true.  I remember when absolutely everyone was wild for grayed lavender.  That lasted for about 5 minutes.  And those wallpapers with the coordinated wide borders?  3 minutes.

Both loved with a frenzy, and utterly dated very quickly.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What’s your appetite for color and/ or for repainting as your tastes or decor changes? We’ve been in our house for just over 15 years and repainted the hallways, living room, family room and main level bath about 7 years ago.  It was time for a change but I absolutely love what we did (greige color).  Within the last year, we’ve repainted all of the bedrooms (similar palette but not all the same color).  We just did our bedroom and master bath and I feel like I’m in a new house! But, for me, muted / classic colors as a backdrop make me happy and helps me feel like my home is cohesive.  DH thinks neutral colors are stupid and a waste of perfectly good paint. 🤣 he wants allllll the saturated color. So, muted / neutral walls and pops of color in furniture and wall art have been the compromise. Except in his office - he had total pick on that one (went with the darkest color on the paint chip)

This is a good point. Anything difficult to paint (two story entries, bathrooms) gets painted a very neutral color here in hopes of not having to paint that space for decades. OTOH, I have kids. My paint looks rough after four years of life. I am totally ok re-decorating every 4-5 years because that’s how long bedding and other things last here. Also, some colors, like navy, are always in. 

You have a lot of southwest colors going already—beige tile, reddish colors in your artwork and rugs, etc. Look to what you want to keep for inspiration.

• Like 1

after looking at this:

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/living-room-trends-for-2021-36850773

I think anything goes, which is what I love to see......you do you.

the orange and navy is a bit much for me, but I like some color too.    I also like muted, serene coastal decor......

I don't care too much about what is "in" although for resale I care.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This is a good point. Anything difficult to paint (two story entries, bathrooms) gets painted a very neutral color here in hopes of not having to paint that space for decades. OTOH, I have kids. My paint looks rough after four years of life. I am totally ok re-decorating every 4-5 years because that’s how long bedding and other things last here. Also, some colors, like navy, are always in. 

You have a lot of southwest colors going already—beige tile, reddish colors in your artwork and rugs, etc. Look to what you want to keep for inspiration.

I don’t enjoy decorating or spending much on decorating, OR big painting projects, so it’s important to me to go with walls that will accept whatever minor changes I happen to make over the long haul, regardless of what’s “in”.

If I could get myself on board with the idea of painting every few years (and being better at it; I’m currently just okay), that could definitely be a different story!

When I look at real estate listings, they all give off the vibe of their decade, including “now”. I have yet to see a single one that I find “timeless”. So I fully expect to live in a 2020s vibe until at least the 2040s, if not longer, lol.

I say that as someone who loved the deep mauve/hunter green era and was envious of an acquaintance’s 2-story dark walls. Today, I imagine myself trying to repaint those walls and tossing myself from a ladder in defeat, lol. 

• Like 1

I feel like it's worth knowing what color schemes are in for the same reasons that you want to know what children's names are hot. Like, if you want to name your kid that, then you are doing it with the knowledge there will be eight other Aidens in his kindergarten class. And if you want to paint your wall that, it may look dated in five years, so it had better be a color you really like.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I feel like it's worth knowing what color schemes are in for the same reasons that you want to know what children's names are hot. Like, if you want to name your kid that, then you are doing it with the knowledge there will be eight other Aidens in his kindergarten class. And if you want to paint your wall that, it may look dated in five years, so it had better be a color you really like.

That’s a really good way of looking at it. 
Says someone who thought she was going to the complete opposite extreme of Aiden, for example, but actually landed more toward center ground, lol.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Yeah, I think this is partly the reason for me. I don’t want to follow trends, I like what I like, but at the same time it’s hard to find new items that deviate from “what’s in”.  Stores will be full of the current colors/style. 
For example, I don’t care for shiplap. I think it’s nice, I just don’t want it in my house. But it has dominated for many years now. 
The walls in our new house used to be vibrant and very southwest (my parents live there). I loved them. Several years ago, they repainted everything to the grey it is now and I really don’t care for it. It’s not so bad that I want to repaint it all yet, LOL, but I know I won’t like it forever. 

• Like 1

I was thinking about yellow and wondering about why I don't care for it much, even though I can see how it would make a room look cheerful and sunny. Then I realized that I'm prejudiced because we lived overseas for years. where yellow walls were very common, but due to pollution, etc., it wouldn't take long before they looked dingy and grimy. The yellow was mostly the same shade/yellow every home you were in, and just ugh. Sorry, yellow, it's nothing personal, lol!

I also love color.  My living room is a warm yellow called Nasturtium, I think it was Sherwin-Williams.  When all my friends were painting their interiors all chic neutral white and gray everywhere, I was still happily tucked into my warm colorful cocoon.  Nice to see I might be on the cutting edge for once! 

• Like 2

On 9/7/2021 at 12:34 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

canyon clay (like a southwest red), deep olive green, beige (for real), and burnt orange.  On the cooler end of warm colors, I'm seeing navy, deep green with blue undertones, peachy pink, and sage.

Mmm,  these all sound great other than the navy.  I only like purpley-blues, otherwise a room feels like a fishbowl to me.

Edited by Harpymom

Most of the common living areas in my home are Valspar Crepe which is a sunny gold color. The kitchen and over the chair rail are this same color cut by 50% white. The formal dining room is a very dark red. All the trim is white. The living room soft goods are browns, rusts and oranges. The couch is currently a brownish color with beige worn looking patches but will eventually be changed to a maybe oatmeal color and the browns changed to teal. All of the wood is a medium cherry.

Two of the bathrooms are Valspar Tuscan Gold with a brownish marbled (flat not shiny) tile and black hardware. Various browns, tans and golds for soft goods. One bathroom is headed towards an old fashioned black and white with rubber duckies and yellows as the accents.

The master bedroom a color called pale glow which is a pearly pale cream/gold. The headboard is an upholstered gold silk. The bedding changes occasionally. The kids are allowed to do their bedrooms any color they like and they are currently all some shade of pale grey as is the guest room although I really dislike the whole grey thing. It is still working in the guest room which has taupe upholstered goods and. pale purple bedding and curtains and one of the girls rooms which has greys, pinks and metallic golds. They other girl has teal, purple and burgundy but I am not repainting any of these rooms again until all the girls leave and then they will all be painted the same as the master.

My oldest dd has the Joanna Gaines look in which almost everything is white/grey with black hardware. Her couch is an oatmeal and she changes all the accessories seasonally. It really works for her but is a little to cool for me. Once again, I really don't care for the whole grey thing and I am glad it is finally headed out.