Menu

The joys of living in the country…..

Indigo Blue

We live rurally too.  After 11pm, my dh will walk over to a neighbor's house & ask them to turn down the music.

100% of the time, it's been that the parents are out of town, so the teens are having a party.
They immediately respond to the in-person connection.
He's never had push-back.

Maybe bring over some banana bread tomorrow morning (at 6:05am, right after the rooster crows?!?), and ask for a music/rooster curfew.

Adding that usually new Country House homeowners do think that no one can hear their noises?!?
My dh just explains that we try to keep things quiet after dark.

You do want to do all you can to be courteous and not be seen as an "old cranky neighbor".  😉

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beth S said:

Maybe bring over some banana bread tomorrow morning (at 6:05am, right after the rooster crows?!?), and ask for a music/rooster curfew.

😂

4 minutes ago, Beth S said:

You do want to do all you can to be courteous and not be seen as an "old cranky neighbor".  😉

Very true. The only thing I don’t like to see are dogs tied up. I don’t think they are going to be doing this. Thank goodness. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kassia said:

lot of people do target practice and then there are the hunting seasons.

We have this, too. It’s not so annoying to me if I know it’s target practice and where they are shooting. We have some that just seem random and I wonder who is shooting and why? It probably sounds like I live in a bad area, but it’s actually not. It’s pretty here. That’s just how things are around here.

Edited by Indigo Blue

5 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

We have this, too. It’s not so annoying to me if I know it’s target practice and where they are shooting. We have some that just seem random and I wonder whose shooting and why? It probably sounds like I live in a bad area, but it’s actually not. It’s pretty here. That’s just how things are around here.

Oh, I definitely understand!  Out here, the gunshots mean a totally different thing than they would in an urban area!  

We used to have no homes near us and it freaked me out when my kids were little and DH traveled a lot.  I didn't like not having anyone close by in case of an emergency.  Now there are more homes, which is both good and bad.  But it was fun having the whole area to ourselves for a long time too.  🙂 

ETA - no trick-or-treating here because the homes are too far apart.  I miss having trick-or-treaters come by! 

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

Maybe it’s that I was raised on a working farm, but I want to offer a contrasting point of view. The music would annoy me. However, as a farm kid, I’m endlessly annoyed when “city folk” move out in the country then don’t want to hear country sounds or smell farm smells. Chickens (roosters included) belong in the country, just an alternative consideration. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Maybe it’s that I was raised on a working farm, but I want to offer a contrasting point of view. The music would annoy me. However, as a farm kid, I’m endlessly annoyed when “city folk” move out in the country then don’t want to hear country sounds or smell farm smells. Chickens (roosters included) belong in the country, just an alternative consideration. 

Yes! We had a neighbor complain to us about our cows mooing. And we’re supposed to do what with that?

• Haha 8

49 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

This! This! This!

We have people move out here all the time from Detroit/burbs and just winge all day about being in an agricultural area! My favorite though 😠😠😠 were the folks who called 911 because there were deer behind their house. Sigh. They bought 20 acres on the edge of a huge stand of woods. What the heck did they expect? 

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Faith-manor said:

This! This! This!

We have people move out here all the time from Detroit/burbs and just winge all day about being in an agricultural area! My favorite though 😠😠😠 were the folks who called 911 because there were deer behind their house. Sigh. They bought 20 acres on the edge of a huge stand of woods. What the heck did they expect? 

Lol. Once we had two loose cows standing in our front yard, one right at our bedroom window. So many years ago. 

Not unusual to see 15 or more deer behind our house.

We also had loose roosters that took up residence in our yard after some previous neighbors moved out. I can get used to roosters again, but at first I thought, no, not again! We had to call those former neighbors to come catch their roosters. They tore up all our shrubbery and crowed right beneath our window for awhile. I don’t think it will be that way with the new roosters. 

I’ve also been cornered by a different neighbor’s large, growling dog right in our own yard. Scary. 

Not to mention the irresponsible cat breeding neighbors. 

Living in the country is nice, but it has it’s moments. 

• Like 3

Just now, Indigo Blue said:

Lol. Once we had two loose cows standing in our front yard, one right at our bedroom window. So many years ago. 

Not unusual to see 15 or more deer behind our house.

We also had loose roosters that took up residence in our yard after some previous neighbors moved out. I can get used to roosters again, but at first I thought, no, not again! We had to call those former neighbors to come catch their roosters. They tore up all our shrubbery and crowed right beneath our window for awhile. I don’t think it will be that way with the new roosters. 

I’ve also been cornered by a different neighbor’s large, growling dog right in our own yard. Scary. 

Not to mention the irresponsible cat breeding neighbors. 

Living in the country is nice, but it has it’s moments. 

Yes it sure does.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Selkie said:

We live way out in the country and can’t see or hear anyone, thankfully - there isn’t another house within a mile of us. Our only loud neighbors are the coyotes.

Us too! My first thought when I read the OP was, "If you can hear your neighbors do anything but drop a bomb, you're not really in the country." LOL!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

Us too! My first thought when I read the OP was, "If you can hear your neighbors do anything but drop a bomb, you're not really in the country." LOL!

LOL…I thought “if you can walk to the neighbors, you don’t live in the country”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We live in the boonies but work in town - our nights are filled with coyotes, barred owls, foxes barking, crickets.  We love the quiet and the sounds, but we don't love roosters.  Any roosters we end up with tend to find their way to the coyotes' and foxes' bellies.  I like the sound they make but don't like how much they beat up the hens.

29 minutes ago, Harpymom said:

We live in the boonies but work in town - our nights are filled with coyotes, barred owls, foxes barking, crickets.  We love the quiet and the sounds, but we don't love roosters.  Any roosters we end up with tend to find their way to the coyotes' and foxes' bellies.  I like the sound they make but don't like how much they beat up the hens.

Roosters and drakes are the most violent rapists on the planet! I believe that making soup of them is a gift to female birds everywhere!

• Like 2

We had a city person move in next door for a while. He rang me up one for the most interesting conversation I had ever had with anyone. Apparently my rooster was affecting his sex life.   Putting him off or something.
I did have a few. So I culled all but one. Turned out he was also a vegan and  very much against culling animals. What was he expecting me to do with them???? He did suggest that I tie some elastic around the rooster’s neck every night so it couldn’t crow. I thought but didn’t say he could always tie some elastic around his own  neck and the roosters wouldn’t bother him any more.

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, pinball said:

LOL…I thought “if you can walk to the neighbors, you don’t live in the country”

My dh grew up in the middle of nowhere, but this sentence would have to be modified just a little bit...

"If you can walk to neighbors who aren't related to you..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4