Menu

nm

MercyA

• MercyA changed the title to nm
7 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

In your position, I’d probably freeze it. 

Panda, I thought of this a few minutes after I posted and felt really dumb. In my defense I had horrible insomnia last night and didn't sleep at all until 6 AM and after that not much.

The problem is, I don't get things into the freezer in a timely manner. I keep thinking DH is going to eat the leftovers and then it's too late. But I can do better, I'm sure. Thanks!

Edited by MercyA

Absolutely no judgement from me as to your choices or anyone else's, but I can tell you that I absolutely would not eat it.

I've been vegetarian for about 35 years. I have zero desire to eat any meat products, and I doubt my gut would know what to do with it even if I did.

The rest of my family eats meat. We just do our best to either make close-to-correct portions, or we freeze things. My husband isn't at all picky about leftovers, which helps us reduce waste.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MercyA said:

Panda, I thought of this a few minutes after I posted and felt really dumb. In my defense I had horrible insomnia last night and didn't sleep at all until 6 AM and after that not much.

The problem is, I don't get things into the freezer in a timely manner. I keep thinking DH is going to eat the leftovers and then it's too late. But I can do better, I'm sure. Thanks!

If it helps keep track, I stick masking tape with the date and contents on all of my leftovers. Dh isn’t a great Fridge Finder and this one trick has greatly increased the amount of leftovers he eats. In his defense, half of my “Tupperware” is sour cream containers. 😬

It also helps to have a regular leftover night. If you pump out too much good stuff too regularly, people will never resort to leftovers. It couldn’t hurt to keep notes and look for patterns. If you consistently have 1/4 lb of meat wasted, stop cooking a pound at a time. Prepare 3/4 lbs as your norm instead.

I get the struggle. Less food waste has been a resolution of mine more than once. I’ve made loads of progress but there is still room for improvement. 

• Thanks 1

I missed the original post. So, leftovers...

Last fall I started keeping a meal chart in a composition book. It's very simple, I just block out a 2-week calendar on each page spread, write what we plan to eat/have eaten, and note what leftovers there are, and what day the leftovers must be eaten, frozen, or tossed.  

People have been trained to look at the notebook to see what leftovers we have when they are looking for something to eat. It's been working pretty well. The only things that get thrown out now are dishes that no one liked much at first serving, and certainly don't want as leftovers.

• Thanks 1