Menu

tween clothing help!

ktgrok

My daughter is going to be 12 in Feb. She is nearly 5ft tall, about 90 something pounds, probably an A cup working toward a B cup. She does NOT like frilly, girly, sparkly, tight, short, etc. No crop tops, no v-necks, no tight shirts, no skinny jeans, no dresses shorter than at least knee length preferably longer. She probably would have fit in back in my day in jeans, a t-shirt, and a flannel tied around her waist. (she kept trying to pick out flannel shirts today and I had to keep reminding her it was 90 degrees outside with 70 percent humidity). For church she ended up on a pants jumper thing with dressier tennis shoes 🙂

Where can I shop for her? This was what she picked out today https://www.target.com/p/girls-rib-knit-sleeveless-jumpsuit-art-class/-/A-82605853?preselect=82547996#lnk=sametab

And she has this and likes it, but has outgrown it (ooh...I can get the XL online! Will surprise her with it) https://www.target.com/p/girls-woven-sleeveless-jumpsuit-cat-jack/-/A-83489473?preselect=81812551#lnk=sametab

My daughter is basically the same, except she likes leggings. So it's black leggings plus t-shirts, loosely fitting, with a sweater tied around her waist, and a baseball cap.

She likes the tshirts from Old Navy, there's a lot there without graphics or designs she's okay with. 

If you can get your daughter past the store's branding of pink, Justice has some things that work like plaid button down loose fitting shirts, we aren't into jumpsuits here like your links but it looks like they have a couple. They usually have longer dresses that don't hug anything, for when dressing up is necessary.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

My daughter is basically the same, except she likes leggings. So it's black leggings plus t-shirts, loosely fitting, with a sweater tied around her waist, and a baseball cap.

She likes the tshirts from Old Navy, there's a lot there without graphics or designs she's okay with. 

If you can get your daughter past the store's branding of pink, Justice has some things that work like plaid button down loose fitting shirts, we aren't into jumpsuits here like your links but it looks like they have a couple. They usually have longer dresses that don't hug anything, for when dressing up is necessary.

DD likes leggings as well. 

This may sound the opposite of what you want but I would suggest Plato's Closet if you have one near by.  Being a resale shop they of course have all that stuff that your daughter doesn't like -- but IME they have all the other stuff too.

My younger DD is 12 but shorter/smaller than your DD and about half her wardrobe is from there (most of her shirts and jackets but only a few of her leggings because she's still too small for most of the pants) even though she still fits in L kids clothing.   It's actually way cheaper than buying her kids clothes new since she mostly wears workout shirts (t-shirt style with wicking material) -- which are hard to find in the kids section and usually expensive to boot.  

I've seen jumpsuits like what you've shown, and they definitely have normal t-shirts and all styles of jeans (which is much my older DD's go-to -- although she prefers leggings to jeans).   For casual clothes they can't be beat IMO.

The only downside is that of any resale shop --the selection is random on any particular visit, and you have to try everything on -- but as I told older DD, as she keeps shopping there she'll find her 'brands' and then she can buy them direct.   

• Thanks 1

I have found that upscale children's thrift stores, because they have clothes from a variety of past years, are generally much better than most stores for shopping for my tween picky dressers.  Stores with new clothes usually mostly just have whatever the current season's style is, and if my kid doesn't like that style, we are out of luck.  But because thrift stores have a variety of styles from different years, we can much more often find something for everyone.  Our favorites are Kid 2 Kid and DI.

• Like 2