Menu

Literature on a Transcript?

If I am using several resources to do our 11th grade literature, do I list the resources on a transcript or just say 11th Grade Language Arts and include their writing courses (this year they are taking 4 Lantern English writing courses) and list the books they are reading?  

I would call it "English 11".
Or possibly: "English 11: Literature & Composition".

Or, if doing all Roman numerals on the transcript: "English III", for the 3rd high school year of English, following "English I" and "English II", and to be followed by "English IV".

Any further descriptions or explanations of resources and overall "goal" would be part of the separate course description document.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Just now, Lori D. said:

I could call it "English 11".
Or possibly: "English 11: Literature & Composition".

Any further descriptions or explanations of resources and overall "goal" would be part of the separate course description document.

@Lori D.  Thank you!  I should clarify as my brain is tired.  I do mean in the course descriptions part - do we list what specific curriculum (if I use different curriculum or guides for each book) was used or just a general statement about what was done and the book list?  For example, I use one curriculum for a study on Shakespeare (a specific book), 7 Sisters for a specific book, and a different curriculum for a another book)?  Am I listing all of these?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

@Lori D.  Thank you!  I should clarify as my brain is tired.  I do mean in the course descriptions part - do we list what specific curriculum (if I use different curriculum or guides for each book) was used or just a general statement about what was done and the book list?  For example, I use one curriculum for a study on Shakespeare (a specific book), 7 Sisters for a specific book, and a different curriculum for a another book)?  Am I listing all of these?

I try and keep things concise, so that the Course Description document doesn't run on and on and on for 20 pages for the poor college admissions officer who has to read it. 😉

Yes to listing major works covered (does not have to list everything), and no to listing individual lit. guides (which will be meaningless to an admissions officer). So your Course Description might read something like this at-random description 😉 :

English 11
A 1-credit course in Composition and Literature, with the goal of extending writing skills and deepening understanding of literature. Composition instruction and assignments came from four eight-week classes focused on essay-writing and the research paper (course provider = Lantern English). Additional writing was in the form of reader responses and literary analysis essays. The Literature studies focused on a range of literature topics, plus analysis and discussion of eight classic novels, as well as a number of short stories, poems, and several plays. Major works covered included: Hamlet (William Shakespeare), Jane Eyre (Charlotte Brontë), Brave New World (Aldous Huxley), and Things Fall Apart (Chinua Achebe), as well as short works by Ernest Hemingway, Langston Hughes, and Ursula Le Guin.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are my course descriptions for 9 to 12. Yes, I included all the resources we used. However, my son was applying to elite universities and for scholarships, so this is likely overkill for most schools. Where he used an online school to help with writing, I listed it as a blended course because we did way way more on our own. I also listed any official exams he took that related to the course.  This boy was a massive reader, so I just chose to list it all, and put books into the years that they best fit even if they were read in a different year.  I simply said in my transcript that "courses were listed in the year that the majority of the work was completed". And sorry the formatting got mucked up when I copied it in.....

19th-Century American and British Literature. (1 credit)
This course covered American and British literature from the 19th century, with a focus on Gothic literature of the
Victorian period including the differing approaches to gruesome, psychological, and supernatural horror. Course
goals included familiarity with poetic and literary elements, the informal fallacies, and genres and themes. The
course also focused on how to critically analyze essays with various patterns of development including narration,
description, analogy, cause and effect, definition, and comparison essays. The course had a strong composition
component focusing on analytical and persuasive essays.

Textbooks: Supernatural Horror in Literature, by Howard Lovecraft
The Art of Argument: an Introduction to the Informal Fallacies, by Aaron Larsen
Common threads: Core Readings by Method and Theme, by Ellen Repetto
Literary analysis provided by introductions to each Penguin Classic edition

Texts:
Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley
Dracula, by Bram Stoker
Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte
The Picture of Dorian Grey, by Oscar Wilde
The Turn of the Screw, by Henry James
The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexane Dumas
Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens
Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens
Moby Dick, by Herman Melville
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain
Late Victorian Gothic Tales, by various authors
Selected short stories, by Edgar Allan Poe
All short stories, by Howard Lovecraft
Selected poems, by Emily Dickinson

20th-Century American and British Literature. (Blended course: Te Kura & self-study, 1 credit)
This course covered American and British literature of the 20th Century with a focus on postmodern literature and
its literary response to historical events and previous movements such as modernism. This course also analyzed
rhetorical devices in academic writing using They Say, I Say, with a focus on how to integrate an argument within
the larger context of what others have written. This course had a strong composition component focusing on
response, expository, and research papers. The composition instruction was provided through Te Kura and satisfied
the New Zealand 11th-grade English requirement. NCEA Level 2 exams and assessments: 14 NZ credits achieved with excellence

Textbooks: They Say, I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing, by Gerald Graff
The Lively Art of Writing, by Lucile Payne

Texts:
1984, by George Orwell
Titus Groan, by Mervyn Peake
Catch 22, by Joseph Heller
Cat’s Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut
The Lord of the Rings, by J. R. R. Tolkien
Cold Comfort Farm, by Stella Gibbons
Wolf Hall, by Hilary Mantel
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, by John le Carré
Cloud Atlas, by David Mitchell
House of Leaves, by Mark Danielewski
The Luminaries, by Eleanor Catton
Solaris, by Stanislaw Lem
Science Fiction Hall of Fame, edited by Silverberg
Selected short stories, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Selected short stories, by Ernest Hemingway

Russian Literature. (Blended course: Te Kura and self-study, 1 credit)
This course covered seminal Russian literature with the goal of identifying themes, ideas, and cultural contexts.
Discussions focused on philosophical concepts such as free will, nihilism, and Freudian psychology, as well as
dealing with questions such as the nature of historical evidence and the degree to which objectivity is possible. The
course also contained a unit focused on the critical reading of classic and modern essays and the how each author
built a persuasive argument. This course had a strong composition component including expository, analytical, and
narrative essays with a focus on audience and purpose. The composition instruction was provided through Te Kura
in preparation for NCEA Level 3 credits in 12th grade.

Textbooks: The Hedgehog and the Fox, by Isaiah Berlin

The Art of Reading, by The Great Courses and Timothy Spurgin

Texts:

The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy
Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov
Selected short stories, by Nikolai Gogol
Selected short stories, by Anton Chekhov

World Literature – NCEA Level 3. (Blended course: Te Kura and self-study, 1 credit)
This course focused on World Literature and featured representative works from various genres and periods. It
examined how conventions and themes vary throughout the history of the novel, drama, and poetry; and how
historical, literary, and personal contexts influenced each author. The course also compared and contrasted various
productions of the same Shakespearean play to identify and appreciate different dramatic interpretations. This
course had a strong composition component including analytical and expository essays, oral presentations, and a
research paper. The composition instruction was provided through Te Kura and satisfied the New Zealand 12th
grade English requirement. NCEA Level 3 exams and assessments: 6 NZ credits achieved with excellence. 4 NZ credits in progress

Textbooks: Perrine’s Literature: Structure, Sound, and Sense, by Thomas Arp
Literary analysis provided by introductions to each Penguin Classic edition.

Texts:
Candide, by Voltaire
Faust, by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
The Scarlet Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne
The Importance of Being Earnest, by Oscar Wilde
Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad
Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
The Stranger, by Albert Camus
The Old Man and the Sea, by Ernest Hemingway
Slaughterhouse 5, by Kurt Vonnegut
Labyrinth, by Jorge Luis Borges
100 years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia