Menu

Cat Nip

gardenmom5

I put it inside little Kong toys (mouse, hedgehog, duck, etc.) that have little Velcro openings. Those are machine washable, too. If I’m going to vacuum soon, I throw some on the floor and watch my cat roll around in it. I keep the catnip in the freezer.

• Like 1

I put it on scratchers, any soft toy they like, the couch, or my son’s pants! They all love it but it’s like alcohol; some get loving, some get frisky and silly, and some cats get mean.

Edited by Paige
Typo

8 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

I sprinkle it on cardboard scratchers.

Wait, doesn’t it just fall off? I must be unimaginative when it comes to “sprinkling catnip”— like, don’t the loose leaves just get everywhere?

Clearly I’m missing something! Help a kitty mama out? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Wait, doesn’t it just fall off? I must be unimaginative when it comes to “sprinkling catnip”— like, don’t the loose leaves just get everywhere?

Clearly I’m missing something! Help a kitty mama out? 

They do get everywhere. It’s messy, but it’s hilarious to watch them roll in it and do funny things. If you spread it out often, they’ll get bored of it like they do with everything. You have to bring it out every so often and they appreciate it more, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know how when you get a corrugated cardboard box and rip it apart, the corrugations are like little grooves?

In a cardboard cat scratcher, you just have the groove side showing, not the flat side. So when you sprinkle the catnip on the box some of it does "just fall of" but a lot of it gets into those grooves and this encourages your cat to scratch some more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My cat doesn’t use a scratcher (she uses her carpet), but my son’s cat uses the cardboard scratchers. He puts catnip on it. I saw little tiny brown specks all over the floor around it one day. I thought it was loose catnip, but it was actually shredded and clawed cardboard bits. She makes a worse mess with that than with the catnip. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

You know how when you get a corrugated cardboard box and rip it apart, the corrugations are like little grooves?

In a cardboard cat scratcher, you just have the groove side showing, not the flat side. So when you sprinkle the catnip on the box some of it does "just fall of" but a lot of it gets into those grooves and this encourages your cat to scratch some more.

Ok that makes sense. So, play with catnip on vacuuming day! 👍

My kitties say thank you! 🙂 

13 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

They do get everywhere. It’s messy, but it’s hilarious to watch them roll in it and do funny things. If you spread it out often, they’ll get bored of it like they do with everything. 

We usually spread it out onto a towel, which makes cleanup a bit easier. 

10 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

You can also get catnip pellets, which are little edible nuggets of catnip. I guess those would be a good option if you have just vacuumed, lol.

There are also bubbles! 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

You can also get catnip pellets, which are little edible nuggets of catnip. I guess those would be a good option if you have just vacuumed, lol.

My cat eats the catnip anyway. 

We grew it in the garden and like any "mint" plant it went NUTS. I have a ton in my freezer now. I dried it in the oven, then put it in a ziplock. But I need to replace the ziplock today because I left the bag on the counter and the cat chewed it open. Now it has a hole, lol. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

But I need to replace the ziplock today because I left the bag on the counter and the cat chewed it open. Now it has a hole, lol. 

This is a favorite way to indulge for some of my cats. They will play with the ziploc bag, roll it around with their paws, sniff it, lick it, before giving in and chewing it open. Ideally, this happens with a bag we intentionally use for this purpose, but we've also forgotten the main bag on the counter 😃

3 minutes ago, katilac said:

This is a favorite way to indulge for some of my cats. They will play with the ziploc bag, roll it around with their paws, sniff it, lick it, before giving in and chewing it open. Ideally, this happens with a bag we intentionally use for this purpose, but we've also forgotten the main bag on the counter 😃

mine actually eats the plastic, so we don't do it on purpose. But yeah, he loves "breaking into" things. Like chewing a hole into the bottom of a bag of dry cat food, that I don't notice until I pick it up and cat food goes everywhere. Sigh. (we now put it in a canister - the same kind I linked in the what have you bought and loved thread)

9 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

mine actually eats the plastic, so we don't do it on purpose. But yeah, he loves "breaking into" things. Like chewing a hole into the bottom of a bag of dry cat food, that I don't notice until I pick it up and cat food goes everywhere. Sigh. (we now put it in a canister - the same kind I linked in the what have you bought and loved thread)

You could put it in a paper lunch bag for a similar effect, and even more so for the food. Or occasionally buy one of the really small bags of cat food (this just occurred to me and now I want to try it). I wrap kibble treats in paper towel strips for my sugar gliders, but I don't think that would be challenging enough for a cat, lol. 

When animals show a distinct interest in specific types of behavior, I always try to recognize that interest and offer them acceptable alternatives. I think it's good for them, whether it stems from a strong instinct or is just something they enjoy. 

22 minutes ago, katilac said:

You could put it in a paper lunch bag for a similar effect, and even more so for the food. Or occasionally buy one of the really small bags of cat food (this just occurred to me and now I want to try it). I wrap kibble treats in paper towel strips for my sugar gliders, but I don't think that would be challenging enough for a cat, lol. 

When animals show a distinct interest in specific types of behavior, I always try to recognize that interest and offer them acceptable alternatives. I think it's good for them, whether it stems from a strong instinct or is just something they enjoy. 

To be fair, with this cat, the specific behavior is he wants to eat. And there is no food in his bowl. Or he wants the catnip, and the plastic bag has it, lol.