Menu

resistance bands ?

BJCole

If you buy them in a set, you'll have a variety of levels of resistance that will correlate (generally) to thickness. I have traditional rubber resistance bands (the big loop kind about 1" in thickness) and the 5" wide thin bands that just wrap around your legs (maybe 12-14" diameter) and some very snazzy fabric elastic resistance bands (also that narrow 12-14") that don't roll and are more firm than the thin latex. Generally they come in sets, so $15 for 3 or something, and you can start low and combine/layer them to get higher resistance. 

What exercises are you want to do? That will drive the size. You can find the instructions online and see what style they use, then just order from amazon. That's where I've gotten all mine.

You can also get a single bad occasionally at the Dollar Tree btw. Target, Walmart, etc. will also have sets. The Dollar Tree bands I use around seat legs for fidgety feet.

https://www.prosourcefit.com/blogs/news/9-resistance-band-squats-for-attention-grabbing-glutes  Here's an example that shows different exercises that are some form of squat using a resistance band. Some are using that narrower diameter size and some the very large diameter. You can find both kinds at set.

For the narrower, I personally prefer the more fabric kind. I'll see if I can find you a link on amazon. They don't slide/roll. However if you start *too high* you'll hurt your lower back. Much better to start with an $8 set off amazon that is the thin kind and work up. When they're too light, even when layered, then go up to the thicker fabric kind.

https://www.amazon.com/Te-Rich-Resistance-Exercise-Non-Slip-Training/dp/B07XZ1ZKK7/ref=sr_1_7?crid=Z9MDCNLBAY5B&dchild=1&keywords=fabric+resistance+band&qid=1630770655&sprefix=fabric+resistan%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-7  I have these. They're adequate and don't roll. However the set I got was (intentionally) quite firm. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fit-Simplify-Resistance-Exercise-Instruction/dp/B01AVDVHTI/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=resistance+band&qid=1630770705&sr=8-8  This is a more sensible style starter set. The resistances will be lower, but they'll allow you to work up without risking straining your lower back. You can layer them and together get a resistance like some of the fabric kind. Very good place to start.

https://www.amazon.com/SUNPOW-Resistance-Assistance-Exercise-Powerlifting/dp/B07K1823XB/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=resistance+band&qid=1630770779&sr=8-15  The resistance changes with the width, so you want a set with range from thin to wider.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I prefer to do a set.  Different muscle groups have different abilities - so you can vary the resistance level more easily.

I also have hooks at different levels so I can do over head/floor/waist.

I would strongly recommend  looking at the exercises you can do with them - there are books/cards/posters/websites.  you can target by muscles and sport/need.

Fwiw, not to be trite, but I think it's more important to have a perfectly formed, perfectly controlled squat, with your butt back, knees not over toes, controlled down, deep down, controlled up, than it is to add weight.

Some of these exercises I see online, like with people wrapping the large diameter band around themselves to add resistance to a squat, should only be done if your form is already good. And frankly, if your form is that good, then why not go to Target or Walmart and get a single 10 lb weight and turn it into a goblet squat? 

Bands are nice to allow you to target areas or do things in a different way, but just for a squat, you could spend months perfecting that just with body weight. Seriously. 

And if you want bonus, nonprofessional opinion here, in my experience if you've perfected a bodyweight squat, the next bodyweight thing to do is burpees. If you've got a great squat, you're now strong enough to do a burpee. Check it out. If you can do 40 body weight squats, you're probably pretty strong. Then work up to 100 burpees.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

And if you want bonus, nonprofessional opinion here, in my experience if you've perfected a bodyweight squat, the next bodyweight thing to do is burpees. If you've got a great squat, you're now strong enough to do a burpee. Check it out. If you can do 40 body weight squats, you're probably pretty strong. Then work up to 100 burpees.

Oh gosh, I hate burpees and won't do them anymore.  I'd rather do a billion squats than one burpee! 

• Like 1

FYI. The band colors are not the same resistance if you go from one brand to another. I had mixed up brands before I found that out. Then I went to each brand’s website and have marked the weight range on the end of each one in sharpie. It’s a range because the amount of resistance depends on how far you’re stretching it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Oh gosh, I hate burpees and won't do them anymore.  I'd rather do a billion squats than one burpee! 

Hmm, it could be a sign. 😄  I found the motor planning very complex. When I started them, I had to write out all the steps on an index card and literally do them one step at a time. It must have looked tediously painful, because this girl working the room offered to come over and do them with me as moral support. 😄 Hahaha.

I'll tell you though, I did 100 that day, very slowly in sets of 10 with significant breaks between, and it was a huge mind hurdle. Once I had done that, they got easier.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Hmm, it could be a sign. 😄  I found the motor planning very complex. When I started them, I had to write out all the steps on an index card and literally do them one step at a time. It must have looked tediously painful, because this girl working the room offered to come over and do them with me as moral support. 😄 Hahaha.

I'll tell you though, I did 100 that day, very slowly in sets of 10 with significant breaks between, and it was a huge mind hurdle. Once I had done that, they got easier.

Very impressive!

I mostly hate the up/down motion - the quick change from floor to upright just doesn't feel good to me.  When I was younger, I did them but now (I just turned 54) I can say "nope, not happening."  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BJCole said:

Thanks for the info.  I have a weight set, but I am having a hard time targeting my legs and I guess that I am kind of sick of them.  Perhaps I will try the goblet squat, and look at the bands.

Check out Caroline Girvan or Sydney Cummings on youtube - they have great lower body workouts.

@PeterPan that's a great link!  

Edited by Kassia