Menu

Resources for creating an Animal Anatomy class geared towards artists?

So I'm trying to create a class for my 12th grade artist daughter. What I'd like to do is create a class that can count as a science class on the transcript, but is strongly geared towards artists. I already have a subscription to Aaron Blaise's classes (creatureartteacher.com), which are for artists. From what I've seen so far, his animal drawing classes definitely get into anatomy including showing animal skeletons. I'm thinking maybe I should add another resource or 2 that could be a little more science-y. Any ideas? 

Science-wise, she has already taken Biology (8th grade), Physical Science (9th grade- I know we flipped the standard 8th/9th classes), Chemistry (10th), and Human Anatomy & Physiology (11th). So maybe she doesn't really need a science class in 12th, but I'm thinking it would look good to colleges to have a science in 12th and if I can gear it towards art it is working towards her future goals.

I'm open to your thoughts/ideas on this!

Edited by zibby3

Maybe call it Advanced Biology, with a deeper study of taxonomy (like a Bio 102 class in college). She could have a project to illustrate an example of each phylum.

You could get a textbook for Veterinary Anatomy to study internal anatomy.

If you live in an area with a lot of wildlife, you could call it a Field Study credit. She could research the species and write small reports each week.

As a side note, if she is interested in scientific illustration, I think having more biological sciences makes sense on her transcript. In high school, I took Honors Biology, Honors Chemistry, AP Biology, Marine Biology, and Microbiology. I had no problems getting into college with a major in Biology.

• Like 1