Menu

Amazon no longer offering "2 day delivery" in my area

RootAnn

While Amazon has expanded in many areas to offering one day & same day delivery, I have noticed delivery dates to my house are no longer 2 or 3 days with prime. Promised delivery is now a week (7 days)  or more out while being marked Prime.

One of our foster cats (picture below) chewed up my dd's charging cord for her Surface Pro. In trying to find a replacement that would arrive soonish, nothing was promised sooner than September 10th. Delivery to a relative's house in Big City was listed as Sept 5th. SMH.

I'm spoiled with 2 day delivery. This will cause me to buy elsewhere because Walmart, Office Depot/Max, and several other big stores still offer free delivery to my area in 2 days if I order enough. 

Probably the foster kitten responsible for the cord chewing (going to adoptive home this weekend):

signal-2021-08-26-193156.jpg

• Sad 10

I'm sorry.  Very annoying.

I've had things that are "prime", but a week out.  Or "free shipping" - but not "prime"  (and a month - or more - out. . . . ).   then I have things that are "same day" . . I never know what it's going to be.  I admit, I will choose a week out to get the $1 digital order I can apply to movies . . . . .

I currently have a trial for Prime and everything I ordered took at least a week to ship, many items took 10 days to two weeks (everything was in stock).  Once it was shipped it came relatively quickly (yay for the postal service).  Needless to say, I will not be signing up for Prime.

• Like 1

What an adorable kitten! 😻

Shipping seems to be all over the place, but it’s not limited to Amazon. I think they’ve stayed pretty consistently within the timeframe they give at checkout, ime. If anything items often come earlier than expected.

I actually don’t mind not receiving items in 2 days. I also don't mind that a good number of our businesses have shorter hours right now, or are only open a few days per week. I mean, obviously I hope they are doing ok, I just don’t mind the “inconvenience”. I generally feel like our expectations of instant gratification are unsustainable. This feels like a bit of a reality check or correction right now.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm kind of curious if those of you who no longer have two day Prime are very rural?

Almost everything I order gets here the next day, often in less than 24 hours. But we have an Amazon distribution center less than 30 minutes from us.

Totally depends on what I’m ordering. I still get 2-day for a lot of things, but not everything. I even occasionally get things delivered the next day (but rarely.) Trucks are all over the area all day, every day. But, yeah, I have to look carefully at what each item says.

• Like 1

I never expected to receive my items in 2 days (I am sitting on a rock in the middle of the Pacific) but that an in-stock item is being shipped in two days.  They don't even touch the order until a week or so later.  To add insult to the injury, I was trying to order Sharpies and got a note saying that Sharpies cannot be shipped to our state.  It was okay, I went to Costco and bought said Sharpies for 3$ less than on Amazon and dropped them off at the Humane Society on my way home.  Since I was out and about I also bought several other things for various rescues and shelters and ordered some items from somewhere else.  Not that it matters to Amazon but they have lost several hundreds of dollars in business, me not signing up for Prime and quite a bit of future business because they refused to ship two packs of Sharpies to my location.

• Like 1

I usually got things in 2-3 days in my last home.  But then we moved two states away and it routinely takes about a week for everything now.  Not thrilled, but I'll probably keep my prime subscription for now because I order a lot of stuff, we use the streaming service, etc.  And nearly everything I order now comes with free returns, so that's a big plus for me, especially when things like clothes/shoes/purses are involved.  

6 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm kind of curious if those of you who no longer have two day Prime are very rural?

Almost everything I order gets here the next day, often in less than 24 hours. But we have an Amazon distribution center less than 30 minutes from us.

I wonder too. Is it location (rural/suburban/urban) or is it proximity to a distribution center. My shipments come on time or faster; unless they get completely lost in the mail. I live < 30min from a major port and < 10min from a distribution center so, very skewed data. I've gotten things in less than 10 hours of ordering and tons of stuff next day. 

• Like 1

Mine did get hairy for a while with everything constantly 5-7 (even near a warehouse!). Now it's back to having a next day option most of the time (which is what it was pre-covid). 

1 hour ago, purpleowl said:

They're planning to open a warehouse here next year, so maybe we'll get quicker delivery at that point?

I would think so. 

Kroger I think has a warehouse near us, because I can order online from them and receive it the next day also. 

These shipping issues could be availability of products or lack of drivers or both. Our grocery stores have up signs saying not to whine if your preferred products are not in, that there are driver shortages. 

Even worse than this, Carnival cruise lines is having BACON shortages! 

I'm finding it varies depending upon what I'm ordering. I figured aside from Amazon being overwhelmed with orders in the last year, that there are supply issues and some items may not be stocked at as many warehouses. Surprisingly a book - obsure niche book - that I ordered this morning is supposed to be here Monday. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

My items get here quickly too, often sooner than the timeline they gave me. Most things are 2-3 days, some are next day. I always filter for Prime when searching for items. If something is out of stock it says so on the item's page and lets me know when it's expected. There are of course, things in short supply, but for items in stock they always get here in the Prime window of 2-3 days.

• Like 1

I live near a distribution center and could, theoretically, get things in a few hours.  I can't remember the last time a "next day" order actually arrived the next day.  They always say it will, then they send an email the very next day "updating" the delivery timetable.  They are just lying.  They know it and I know it, but they probably have studies that say people won't buy the thing if they know it'll take longer to arrive.  I've been slowly weaning myself from ordering from them.  It was inconvenient at first, but has gotten much easier as I get used to it. 

I am rural but did not used to have an issue with items being marked Prime but consistently showing 7-10 day delivery dates. Everything showing that but showing faster (2-3 day) delivery to a city nearby. I believe Amazon is penalizing my area for not having dedicated Amazon delivery people.

This is not a covid issue. It isn't a shipping issue. This is an intential decision on Amazon's part to list items as taking 4-8 days longer to arrive to my area than to other areas within an hour and a half of me.

Walmart will say an item will take 2 days or more but then switch it to same day delivery. I actually wish they would not do this without checking with the person ordering because it always goes badly to delivery items in person to my daughter's dorm. Shipping is much better!!!

Walmart just drops bags at the outside door of the dorm - no phone call, just an email after the fact. And sometimes they drop them at the wrong place. The items wandering off or taking awhile to get to her due to misdelivery is a thing. But a separate problem than the Amazon thing.

• Like 1

I'm not strictly rural (more like a pretty rural small city?), but the order for common, random things that I placed today had an earliest arrival date 6 days out and Amazon Super Special We Love the Earth (or something) delivery 10 days out.

They give me a list of delivery options that all sound the same, and sometimes are literally named the same, and are all a week to 10 days out. No more "we'll get that to you tomorrow". I'm not upset, they never loved me, it was always just about the money. *Sniff, sniff!*

• Like 1

I don't think it is about shortages of any kind because several other companies manage to ship my orders much faster than Amazon.  I was just about to order 10 cans of KMR kitten milk replacer but Amazon gave me a delivery date of late September (this is with Prime).  I can either walk down to Petco and drop them off on the way home or order from Petco online and have it delivered on Monday all for the same price.  There are several other items that small stores in the midwest can get here cheaper and faster than Amazon.  I am sort of wondering what Amazon's goal is because it doesn't make sense on the surface.

• Like 1

From what I’ve seen, things started going wonky when they started making their own deliveries.

Random delivery dates, regardless of what was listed at time of purchase. 
Drivers that do not appear capable of driving the vehicles they have, trouble staying on the road in their lane. Stopping and parking trucks anywhere to make deliveries, even on the wrong side of the road blocking traffic. Drivers being counseled to keep revving trucks, digging holes, when they get their trucks stuck. “Just keep rocking the vehicle in the dirt while you wait for a tow truck”.

I do what I can to purchase other places than Amazon.

On 9/2/2021 at 6:03 PM, MEmama said:

What an adorable kitten! 😻

On 9/2/2021 at 6:07 PM, Kassia said:

I can't get over how cute your kitty is! 

Thank you both. Dd#2 syringe/bottle fed her starting when she was three days old & dropped off by some rescuers for us to foster because we had two other bottle babies at the time. She was spayed on Wednesday & her new adoptive mom picked her up earlier this afternoon. Now we have four new feral foster kittens to socialize & find homes for so I hope to not miss her too much.

I won't miss her chewing on our electrical cords!

• Like 4

Our shipping time changed sometime during the pandemic -- and I assume it's still related to that, one way or another.  Now it's all over the place and I don't expect to get anything in two days.  Now it can take anywhere between two days (though two days is very unlikely) and two weeks... and I'm talking about "prime" items.   I just checked an item I get regularly, which is listed as a prime item, and it says it would arrive next Saturday -- in one week.  I guess it's still worth it for the free shipping?  But I've noticed more and more that some items are more expensive now so I'm not necessarily saving money with no postage.   Hmmm... maybe it's time to rethink my prime membership!

We live in a large metro area.