Menu

What have you bought lately that you are loving?

mommyoffive

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

You do beautiful work on your quilts. 

Aww, thank you, Jean. 

25 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

My cat loves this cat shelf - we had tried a different style, that "hung" but the cats hated it. This one the supports are below the shelf, and he LOVES it. And he's a FAT cat, and it supports him well. I got it because both cats want to lounge on my desk all day because it is by the window, and I didn't have room for my laptop, extra monitor, etc. Now I'm down to one cat on the desk, and one cat on the shelf. They are double decker cats, lol. 

Dangit. 

I'll have to see if this will help our cat quit messing up the wall, or not really. If she had a window shelf that sticks out further, she might be more able to jump up onto it instead of climb the sheetrock into the windowsill. Hmmm. 

46 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

My cat loves this cat shelf - we had tried a different style, that "hung" but the cats hated it. This one the supports are below the shelf, and he LOVES it. And he's a FAT cat, and it supports him well. I got it because both cats want to lounge on my desk all day because it is by the window, and I didn't have room for my laptop, extra monitor, etc. Now I'm down to one cat on the desk, and one cat on the shelf. They are double decker cats, lol. 

On 9/2/2021 at 6:24 PM, MeaganS said:

Also, I haven't bought it yet but I am strongly considering this for my bookshelf. It's a clock that tells time through quotes from books. 

Great. I knew I should stay away from this thread!

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Totally off topic, but are y’all still selling your house and moving? 

Yes! Realtor came out last week, we are making repairs, and going to apply for a Knock home loan so we can move, then sell. We tried before, but 1. DH forgot to unfreeze his credit scores for two places and 2. weird stuff was going on and his credit score was lower than normal and 3. we were dealing with Wells Fargo's mess up so didn't have normal mortgage statements to send. 

so now, our realtor is certified to work with them, and we are reapplying with unfrozen credit scores, normal bank statements, etc, lol. Crossing our fingers! In good news, the comprables she had for us sold in an average of 3 days!

21 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Aww, thank you, Jean. 

Dangit. 

I'll have to see if this will help our cat quit messing up the wall, or not really. If she had a window shelf that sticks out further, she might be more able to jump up onto it instead of climb the sheetrock into the windowsill. Hmmm. 

You can put it as high/low as you want (as long as the suction cups are on the window) so maybe? 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Yes! Realtor came out last week, we are making repairs, and going to apply for a Knock home loan so we can move, then sell. We tried before, but 1. DH forgot to unfreeze his credit scores for two places and 2. weird stuff was going on and his credit score was lower than normal and 3. we were dealing with Wells Fargo's mess up so didn't have normal mortgage statements to send. 

so now, our realtor is certified to work with them, and we are reapplying with unfrozen credit scores, normal bank statements, etc, lol. Crossing our fingers! In good news, the comprables she had for us sold in an average of 3 days!

You can put it as high/low as you want (as long as the suction cups are on the window) so maybe? 

Woohoo!  I hope y’all sell quickly!    I keep stalking Zillow and I would like a bigger house, but I just don’t know.  There’s pros and cons.  But I don’t have four kids!  😱😆  I’d definitely be going bigger if I did!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KSera said:

I don’t know whether to thank you for this, or not. The immersion blender I bought on a lightning deal a couple years back for under 20 bucks just broke. I expected the vita mix version would be more expensive, but darn.  Maybe if I buy it as a  Christmas gift for my DH.

that was my favorite, too! One of my kids would really appreciate that. I also liked the very subtle T-shirt with a Band-Aid on the sleeve.

I checked too.  I thought it would be $70-$80 but I was very very wrong  . . . and it's the same price EVERYWHERE.

• Like 1

My favorite small purchases, that are ongoing:

Shea Moisture Hand and Body Scrub. I usually get the hibiscus, but the purple (I think it’s super fruit) is a favorite, too. I like their body oil, as well, for after showers.

Olfactif. I love ordering sample packs with assorted fragrances. I only wear them at home, really, because I’m conscious that some people can’t be around perfumes. But I do love them.

I switched to Murad face products recently, and have been very happy with them.

• Like 1

Adding to this, today I went to Ross and found a pair of Land's End starfish capris for 8.99. OMG, they are so comfortable. I've never bought a pair because $45 for a pair of cotton pants is not quite my budget. I may break down and splurge. 

Edited by elegantlion
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, elegantlion said:

Adding to this, today I went to Ross and found a pair of Land's End starfish capris for 8.99. OMG, they are so comfortable. I've never bought a pair because $45 for a pair of cotton pants is not quite my budget. I may break down and splurge. 

They are the best ever, aren’t they?

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 10:54 AM, BlsdMama said:

It's a little weird when we all own the same things.

"No, DH, it's not a cult...it's just that I *needed* what they already had!"

-----

So in my new job I am having to deal with an uncharted territory: weekly-done nails. Me, the casual 1-2 times a year fun color sloppily applied person, has been very studiously watching Youtube videos about nail care.

I've been getting mostly Sally Hanson Insta-Dry Colors because they have some office-friendly shades and I feel more secure in my not-mess-it-up-immediately abilities with the faster dry time. 

But, the real purchase that has made this journey more fun is Maniology stamping kits (nail decorations). If I've got to do my nails weekly, gosh darn it I'll have fun with it! I have been doing mostly 1-2 nails a week, and one week did every nail. It's fun to add a bit of color to my routine, and it doesn't really add all that much time or effort to get a bit of decoration in. Pro tips: yes there's a difference to the "stamping polish", or maybe I just don't own a comparable type; they aren't kidding about 100% acetone to clean the plates; and the stamp thing cleans best with tape only. Depending on your perfectionistic streak, this can be really fun or really frustrating, lol.

On 9/4/2021 at 8:54 PM, elegantlion said:

I am intrigued. 🚀🚀🚀 Zooms off to find some....

3 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

-----

So in my new job I am having to deal with an uncharted territory: weekly-done nails. Me, the casual 1-2 times a year fun color sloppily applied person, has been very studiously watching Youtube videos about nail care.

I've been getting mostly Sally Hanson Insta-Dry Colors because they have some office-friendly shades and I feel more secure in my not-mess-it-up-immediately abilities with the faster dry time. 

But, the real purchase that has made this journey more fun is Maniology stamping kits (nail decorations). If I've got to do my nails weekly, gosh darn it I'll have fun with it! I have been doing mostly 1-2 nails a week, and one week did every nail. It's fun to add a bit of color to my routine, and it doesn't really add all that much time or effort to get a bit of decoration in. Pro tips: yes there's a difference to the "stamping polish", or maybe I just don't own a comparable type; they aren't kidding about 100% acetone to clean the plates; and the stamp thing cleans best with tape only. Depending on your perfectionistic streak, this can be really fun or really frustrating, lol.

I'm intrigued by what kind of job requires polished nails.

I like Color Street when I want to have my nails done.   It's the same as the Sally Hanson nail polish strips which I can never find anymore except in super weird colors.  I find it much easier to apply than polish and it lasts a really long time.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 9:52 AM, Kanin said:

Oh, and for school, some Born flats - I usually hate flats but these are great. No "toe cleavage," lol. 

I hate toe cleavage, lol! Thank you!

2 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I like Color Street when I want to have my nails done.

I need to try these sometime for fun. 

For those who don't already have a person they buy them from, you can support my favorite healthcare charity by buying them from this person: https://marfanmom.com/  

New things...we bought an Impala and are very happy. It's the newest new car we've ever owned.

We got a Ninja coffeemaker that we like so far (based on input from the hive): https://www.ninjakitchen.com/exclusive-offer/CP307WBKT/ninja-hot-and-cold-brewed-system/?utm_source=GOOGLE&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=Search_Ninja_BPE_Shopping_Coffee&utm_adgroup=CP307&utm_term=PRODUCT_GROUP&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg7KJBhDyARIsAHrAXaFo4sXMfbIVgzBU1GrvEKesDhd-hx6YIrysUS2HlCKKK1rhStyNjSIaAtuYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My son built and hung two wall shelves for my succulents. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I like Color Street when I want to have my nails done.   It's the same as the Sally Hanson nail polish strips which I can never find anymore except in super weird colors.  I find it much easier to apply than polish and it lasts a really long time.

I’ll bet bank tellers need polished nails. People are just standing there watching your hands all day. 

On 9/2/2021 at 2:42 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

Benefit Cosmetics Precisely, My Brow eyebrow pencil. I normally hate eyebrow pencils, but this has a great spoolie on one end, and a very precise pencil that matches my eyebrow color perfectly on the other. 

Yes! I just got my eyebrows waxed last week for the first time in two years and the tech used that pencil.  It is a perfect match.

On 9/2/2021 at 5:38 PM, FuzzyCatz said:

I just got a aeropex aftershokz headset to listen to podcasts and audio books when I go walking.  Oh my gosh, 100% better for me than wireless earbuds, which I went through multiple pairs.  They sit outside the ear and don't block hearing.  I tend to have itchy scaly ears anyway, so love not to be putting headphones in them all the time.  

https://www.rei.com/product/169639/aftershokz-aeropex-headphones?sku=1696390003&store=15&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_1696390003|92700057791438803|NB|71700000074091798&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7MGJBhD-ARIsAMZ0eesM4_EbzngkSkIcmS1IAG2H-cbuO5r_50jnMC0b5hKpVkVy3lnPjlIaAhN5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

DH has lived his for years, best kind of headset he’s used. He went to the audiologist recently, who explained that he can hear better with them than anything else because of the damage to his ears! Still loves them though!

On 9/4/2021 at 10:01 AM, SeaConquest said:

Oh dear, I was doing so well!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

-----

I’ve been doing the soak off gel (Gelish) and similar since Christmas, and am loving it. I type about 11 hours a day at work, so I usually redo them ever 8 days, but when we were on holidays, they lasted all 16 days, plus my first day or two back at work.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 3:24 PM, ktgrok said:

That's adorable, but I don't think I have that much faith in suction cups. Although a cat crashing down unexpectedly would have a certain amusement factor . . . 

6 hours ago, katilac said:

That's adorable, but I don't think I have that much faith in suction cups. Although a cat crashing down unexpectedly would have a certain amusement factor . . . 

I was nervous, but it is over my desk so not a far drop. And the way it is stet up the weight of the cat is pushing on the suction cups, pushing them tighter, rather than pulling on them. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazyforlatin said:

Barely there bras that really change my daily life as I never found anything this comfortable since my teen years.

https://neiwai.life/collections/barely-zero

ooh, those look similar to what I've been wearing. I bought them for yoga, but they are so much more comfortable than regular bras I now where them all the time. Can't stand regular bras anymore. https://amzn.to/2XaUW3i

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

ooh, those look similar to what I've been wearing. I bought them for yoga, but they are so much more comfortable than regular bras I now where them all the time. Can't stand regular bras anymore. https://amzn.to/2XaUW3i

How supportive are these?  

Regular bra supportive?  They don't give you a uniboob? 

Trader Joe's green apple flavored seltzer. It's literally like biting into a green apple - the pucker/astringency of the skin plus the sour-sweet of the flesh. I horde the stuff as it comes out only in the fall. Finally found it today. Been stalking the stores twice a week since the beginning of the month ...

• Like 5

On 9/6/2021 at 4:40 PM, Wheres Toto said:

Office admin job, in the executive department (so to speak). When I was interviewing I noticed *every* woman in the office complex had really nice nails. It's the culture here I guess. I could technically not do it and not get fired, but I'd stick out like a sore thumb (ha). 

You say these last a long time, do you do a lot of typing? Or handling files? It doesn't sound like it'd be hard on nails but man I've been surprised at what these easy tasks are doing to my paint jobs. But easier to apply sounds wonderful. I wonder if my stamping would stick on top, I don't see why it wouldn't. Think putting a top coat on top of the strips would damage them?

On 9/6/2021 at 9:28 PM, Arctic Bunny said:

I’ve been doing the soak off gel (Gelish) and similar since Christmas, and am loving it. I type about 11 hours a day at work, so I usually redo them ever 8 days, but when we were on holidays, they lasted all 16 days, plus my first day or two back at work.

Ah! Is it harder to do than regular polish? Harder to clean up? I'm still a bit sloppy and so like that I clean up in the shower, does this stuff allow for that?

I've found my old MK nail polishes are definitely worn out by Wednesday (painted on Sunday). And a couple colors of the Sally Hanson seem to chip more than others? I'm not sure if I'm doing something different when painting but 2 of the colors chipped multiple times even after touchups. So if this stuff is more durable I should really look at it. And just not tell my DH how much I'm spending on nails, lol. 

eta: I just realized I'm *excited* to talk about nails. Who have I become?! (Not that there's something wrong with it, it's just never been anything I was remotely interested in before)

Edited by Moonhawk

Re: bras, I've recently found Bravissimo and Negative Underwear and *love* what I've gotten. I've never had good bras before (and never more than 2 bras at the same time), so I can't compare to other "good bra brands", but I never knew that wearing bras could be pleasant. My collection grows with each marketing email, lol.

6 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

Office admin job, in the executive department (so to speak). When I was interviewing I noticed *every* woman in the office complex had really nice nails. It's the culture here I guess. I could technically not do it and not get fired, but I'd stick out like a sore thumb (ha). 

You say these last a long time, do you do a lot of typing? Or handling files? It doesn't sound like it'd be hard on nails but man I've been surprised at what these easy tasks are doing to my paint jobs. But easier to apply sounds wonderful. I wonder if my stamping would stick on top, I don't see why it wouldn't. Think putting a top coat on top of the strips would damage them?

Ah! Is it harder to do than regular polish? Harder to clean up? I'm still a bit sloppy and so like that I clean up in the shower, does this stuff allow for that?

Yes, they stay on great with typing or filing.   I lost one doing a ton of dishes (science classes so really really bad grimy dishes) but had extras so could do a quick repair.    I tested them out a week I had a science camp running 8 hours a day, hands in experiments, dishes, etc and working in Powerpoint every night. (I used to be an executive assistant).  

I find them easy to use and not messy at all.  They are like stickers but are made of actual nail polish so stay on like nail polish once they are on.  I cut the strips in half so each strip does two fingers, and I can do my toes with only a couple strips since one strip will do all four little toes.  

You find the right size strip, remove the backing, stick on your nail, press down and trim (they trim easily with a fingernail or file edge run around the edges).  

I have a friend who sells and sent me samples to try.  I ended up buying like five sets because they had a sale, and now I want to buy Halloween ones.  

• Like 1

I was reminded of something else yesterday. We have had an upright freezer in our basement for probably had it for 20 years, and it has always been in this same dark corner, under the stairs, down a short hall. And it's dark. We were trying to have some more work done on our basement (new floors, repairing an HVAC leak) and asked the guy to put in a hard-wired overhead light in that little hall. Our guy never responded with a price, so we got the new floor and had the HVAC leak fixed, and I installed a small, not ugly $20 motion-activated LED light on the ceiling in front of the freezer. Every stinkin' time I go to the freezer and that light pops on, I love my light again. My husband does, too, and remarks upon it regularly. I explained to him, "Take the joy you feel about the light, and multiply it by the amount of smugness I have about thinking of and installing the light, and that's how much joy **I** have about the light."

• Like 13

10 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

How supportive are these?  

Regular bra supportive?  They don't give you a uniboob? 

Not as uplifting as a regular bra, but I find I don't care anymore, lol. I will put on a regular bra to wear a dress to church, maybe, but not to go to the grocery store or whatever. 

9 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Trader Joe's green apple flavored seltzer. It's literally like biting into a green apple - the pucker/astringency of the skin plus the sour-sweet of the flesh. I horde the stuff as it comes out only in the fall. Finally found it today. Been stalking the stores twice a week since the beginning of the month ...

I will also suggest their seasonal gingerbread bars. In the granola bar aisle. SO amazing. I miss them so much now that we are a gluten free household. I would stock up on boxes and boxes - they go fast once they come in. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Barely there bras that really change my daily life as I never found anything this comfortable since my teen years.

https://neiwai.life/collections/barely-zero

I've been wearing bralettes for the past year+ and found an enhancement that I LOVE: bra inserts. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071CKS1HY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I felt the bralettes, while comfortable, still allowed some things to show through when I didn't want them to, and these cover that issue. And it takes care of the squashy feel the bralette gave me. I feel perkier when I use these. And no uni-boob. OK, I am more embarrassed than I thought I'd be talking about this but I still had to share.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I don't have these, but it sounds like they could be my favorite thing.  Anyone have a pair?

MUK LUKS® Women's Fleece-Lined Faux Denim Leggings | Jane

Just as an FYI, once I clicked & looked at these, w/o entering anything into the site, I had an email show up in my inbox (and *not* the email with which I'm registered here) asking if I was still looking. 

Not entirely sure how that happened (I'm sure it's to do w/whatever cookies, etc., I have set), but just to let folks know. 

On 9/9/2021 at 10:22 PM, Moonhawk said:

I've found my old MK nail polishes are definitely worn out by Wednesday (painted on Sunday). And a couple colors of the Sally Hanson seem to chip more than others? I'm not sure if I'm doing something different when painting but 2 of the colors chipped multiple times even after touchups. So if this stuff is more durable I should really look at it. And just not tell my DH how much I'm spending on nails, lol. 

eta: I just realized I'm *excited* to talk about nails. Who have I become?! (Not that there's something wrong with it, it's just never been anything I was remotely interested in before)

I literally type my entire twelve hour shift - keyboard, phone…. 

I find it’s way easier to clean up. 4 steps: First dries out the nail so it bonds; second is the base (set under UVlamp); third is thin coats of polish with UV lamp in between; fourth is the top coat to seal it all in. Acetone to remove when set. The polish wipes off with alcohol until it’s put under the UV lamp. So you can put on a thin coat of one colour, set it, add another- oops made a mistake! Wipe it off with alcohol and everything underneath is unaffected. So, for example, French manicure. Mess up a smile line? Wipe it off. Or at the beginning, do one, get it right, set it, do the next. Overall, it takes me more minutes because of the time under the uv light. But to not have a smooshed nail, or mess up one and have to start over? So worth it to me. Also, my nails aren’t constantly chipping, so I get more than a week of continuous growth.

I can point you toward some amazon links if you’re interested. My DH got it as a Christmas gift for me after we went for a manicure and spoke to all the women he works with (love them!)

On 9/2/2021 at 7:12 PM, athena1277 said:

Dh’s back was hurting while we were out of town a few weeks ago, so we bought a heating pad with a massage function.  I normally hate the way massagers feel.  However, I have COVID and right now it’s the best thing ever for the backaches I’ve been having.  I use it several times a day.

Which massager did you buy? I sure need it!

12 minutes ago, regentrude said:

at a local kayak store, an hour away.
No, we had just done a few floats with borrowed/rented boats. I did kayak racing as a kid, over 30 years ago, so no skill left from that.

Thank you!! I bet some muscle memory is left. I can still throw because of softball from a gazillion years ago.

Wow, what a fun hobby. We're eight minutes from a river. I got to get-on-it for next spring.

Thank you again!

22 hours ago, regentrude said:

at a local kayak store, an hour away.
No, we had just done a few floats with borrowed/rented boats. I did kayak racing as a kid, over 30 years ago, so no skill left from that.

I love kayaking, but it makes my back hurt. If I buy one, it has to have some good back support. Do you have this problem?

42 minutes ago, popmom said:

I love kayaking, but it makes my back hurt. If I buy one, it has to have some good back support. Do you have this problem?

No, but we splurged on really good seats. Definitely worth it for long trips.

You want to sit upright and not lean back so that the core muscles can do their work

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, regentrude said:

No, but we splurged on really good seats. Definitely worth it for long trips.

You want to sit upright and not lean back so that the core muscles can do their work

Form is very important. Also, paddle length in relation to height is another consideration because you work harder when you use one that is too short or too long. This past summer we went kayaking in West Virginia. It was too far for us to practically tow our trailer and kayaks so we rented. We had fun! But we were both sore. Our paddles were just a generic, and fused so we couldn't adjust the length. The seats were crap, and leaned way back, and the life vests were the cheap, up around your neck kind that inhibited efficient paddling. So we really felt it since we are used to paddles customized to our bodies, high end quality life vests that fit well and allow for easy movement, and quality seats adjusted to us so that we sit up properly. The right equipment fitted to you specifically makes a huge difference!

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 2

On 9/10/2021 at 5:57 AM, plansrme said:

I was reminded of something else yesterday. We have had an upright freezer in our basement for probably had it for 20 years, and it has always been in this same dark corner, under the stairs, down a short hall. And it's dark. We were trying to have some more work done on our basement (new floors, repairing an HVAC leak) and asked the guy to put in a hard-wired overhead light in that little hall. Our guy never responded with a price, so we got the new floor and had the HVAC leak fixed, and I installed a small, not ugly $20 motion-activated LED light on the ceiling in front of the freezer. Every stinkin' time I go to the freezer and that light pops on, I love my light again. My husband does, too, and remarks upon it regularly. I explained to him, "Take the joy you feel about the light, and multiply it by the amount of smugness I have about thinking of and installing the light, and that's how much joy **I** have about the light."

ooh, can you share a link to the light? We have somewhere we really need one of those, and I get analysis paralysis everytime I start reading reviews for them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KSera said:

ooh, can you share a link to the light? We have somewhere we really need one of those, and I get analysis paralysis everytime I start reading reviews for them.

I am pretty sure it was this one and that I got it at Home Depot. I just screwed it into the drywall ceiling, and it's hanging on just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1