Jump to content

Menu

What have you bought lately that you are loving?


mommyoffive

Recommended Posts

@plansrme’s post made me remember my Fiestaware towels and how much I love them. They are only for decoration, and they give my kitchen a much needed bit of color. I have other towels for drying and cleaning things. Since my kitchen is otherwise pretty plain, I can use multi-colored Fiestaware mugs and towels without it looking like it’s “too much”. Anyway, Fiestaware towels are the prettiest I’ve seen, and I enjoy the colors so much.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also….I really like LUG handbags. They aren’t THE most attractive, but they have super organization built it. I really dislike digging and digging looking for something in my bag. I don’t have to do that with LUG, and the built-in wallet is RFID. Seems pretty similar to previous poster’s Bagallini bag, just a bit different material and style. Sigh. As I get older, I just value comfort and ease over the cuteness of the bag. I miss the days of super cute little bags but not the digging and digging looking for something.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nexcare acne dots for the teenagers.  These things are amazing.  You stick them on at bedtime and they act like little capillary sponges and pull all of the gross stuff out leaving nice flat skin behind.  They even work for zits that haven’t surfaced yet. 

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

Also….I really like LUG handbags. They aren’t THE most attractive, but they have super organization built it. I really dislike digging and digging looking for something in my bag. I don’t have to do that with LUG, and the built-in wallet is RFID. Seems pretty similar to previous poster’s Bagallini bag, just a bit different material and style. Sigh. As I get older, I just value comfort and ease over the cuteness of the bag. I miss the days of super cute little bags but not the digging and digging looking for something.

That was one of the main reasons I went looking for a new purse too!  My last one was cute, but it was a cross-body that was taller than it was wide, and I was forever trying to find stuff that had migrated to the bottom.  So I went looking for one that was wider and more shallow.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

 

Himalayan salt block for grilling

 

Can you explain the purpose of this?  is it only for a gas grill?

2 hours ago, plansrme said:

I threw away all of my kitchen towels and wash cloths and started fresh with a whole new batch that match and are not stained. You know how kitchen towels get so ugly from stains even though they are perfectly fine? Those have now been relegated to the garbage or my garage. Makes me ridiculously happy to open the drawer and see pretty towels.

they make fabulous rags for cleaning as well as the garage.  I cut up old towels.  1dd took at least half of them when she moved out.

1 hour ago, Danae said:

Nexcare acne dots for the teenagers.  These things are amazing.  You stick them on at bedtime and they act like little capillary sponges and pull all of the gross stuff out leaving nice flat skin behind.  They even work for zits that haven’t surfaced yet. 

these are great.  They come in two sizes, and they're clear so they really aren't noticeable.  Now, if I could just get dudeling to actually use them . . .  But I've used them on occasion too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, wathe said:

Covid vaccine advocacy t-shirts.  I bought some to wear when I work at the vax clinic.  Now I wear them everywhere.  DH and the kids each have a couple and also wear them all around town.  Chris Hadfield, Hayley Wickenheiser, Ryan Reynolds, Michael Buble (AKA some Famous Canadian People) wear them too.

I love how Canada sells them in so many languages. Speaks volumes. So Canadian.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TheReader said:

ooooh! I'd love a link &/or product number/model number/etc. if possible (or even aprpox. price to narrow my search) -- I'm on the hunt for an immersion blender, and getting a really good one with good reviews would certainly be better than randomly choosing one. 

Amazon.com: Vitamix Immersion Blender, Stainless Steel, 18 inches: Home & Kitchen

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Farrar said:

I bought these utterly nonsense shoes (are they bowling shoes? sandals? sneakers? who knows!) at the start of the summer and I've gotten a lot of wear out of them and I still really love them.

Well, dangit, now I want those. :sigh: So cute! 

5 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

@plansrme’s post made me remember my Fiestaware towels and how much I love them. They are only for decoration, and they give my kitchen a much needed bit of color. I have other towels for drying and cleaning things. Since my kitchen is otherwise pretty plain, I can use multi-colored Fiestaware mugs and towels without it looking like it’s “too much”. Anyway, Fiestaware towels are the prettiest I’ve seen, and I enjoy the colors so much.

Oh, yes, I love my Fiestaware towels!! ❤️ 

4 hours ago, SusanC said:

I just 

got a wrist ruler after admiring them longingly this summer while I was on a car trip with a knitting project and no measuring device. Units based on 8½ or 11 can't answer all my measurement questions.

I've been eyeing one of those for a while.....I may have to take the plunge soon. They are so lovey and versatile and useful. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

y'all. 

I went shopping/antiquing with my mom today, and while I'm a quilter, I'm not really a "buy every vintage quilt I find" quilter or anything like that. 

But. 

This one little shop had this absolutely gorgeous quilt (pattern is called double wedding ring), with the tiniest pieces, all hand done, feedsack materials, still in relatively good shape, really really lovely, hand quilted.......for only $98.  Which is believe me, an absolute steal. Holy heck. 

As I just got paid for my tutoring side gig, that paid for the quilt and the lunch and all, and....y'all. It's so freaking pretty. I don't think I've ever been this in love with a quilt before. Now to convince the husband that it can indeed go on the end of our bed.....

 

  • Like 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Kareni said:

The quilt sounds lovely, @TheReader. Are you able to share a picture?

Regards,

Kareni

Here it is, all spread out on my bed (queen sized bed). There are some spots that need repair, but overall in gorgeous shape. The pink squares are just bigger than a quarter (a quarter laid inside the square touches all 4 sides of the square)...the pieces that make the curves are just that much smaller. 

 

ETA: geez, pardon the mess! LOL! 

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

Edited by TheReader
  • Like 41
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheReader said:

y'all. 

I went shopping/antiquing with my mom today, and while I'm a quilter, I'm not really a "buy every vintage quilt I find" quilter or anything like that. 

But. 

This one little shop had this absolutely gorgeous quilt (pattern is called double wedding ring), with the tiniest pieces, all hand done, feedsack materials, still in relatively good shape, really really lovely, hand quilted.......for only $98.  Which is believe me, an absolute steal. Holy heck. 

As I just got paid for my tutoring side gig, that paid for the quilt and the lunch and all, and....y'all. It's so freaking pretty. I don't think I've ever been this in love with a quilt before. Now to convince the husband that it can indeed go on the end of our bed.....

 

I’d have bought it, too. What a deal! It’s beautiful!

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, wathe said:

I'm surprised that there isn't some sort of USA equivalent, but you're right - a google search came up empty.  The CDC has some pretty nice downloadable printable stickers though!

This includes some t-shirts (as well as pins, stickers and socks).  https://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-covid-vaccine-merchandise.html

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

This includes some t-shirts (as well as pins, stickers and socks).  https://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-covid-vaccine-merchandise.html

Nice!  The antibody socks are super-cute.

What I meant was no organized, national, grassroots, non-government covid vaccine advocacy campaign (with shirts!) like This Is Our Shot.  But it's equally possible that I just am bad at google 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, plansrme said:

I threw away all of my kitchen towels and wash cloths and started fresh with a whole new batch that match and are not stained. You know how kitchen towels get so ugly from stains even though they are perfectly fine? Those have now been relegated to the garbage or my garage. Makes me ridiculously happy to open the drawer and see pretty towels.

I have some ugly dishtowels that it's time to rotate out too I love these Williams Sonoma classic stripe towels--they really hold up. https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/williams-sonoma-striped-towels/?catalogId=79&sku=9909786&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Homekeeping > Kitchen Towels&region_id=666920&cm_ite=9909786&gclid=CjwKCAjwj8eJBhA5EiwAg3z0m8OaFzhXk3ZL06AXpIN_tZC23-eL7Hb6O4HJHHZBplI0RpBGnJ5oORoC01wQAvD_BwE

I bought one of these digital clocks. I think it's pretty funny that it's advertised for the elderly because I put it in my classroom below the analog clock. I was tired of my 12 year old students pulling out their cell phones to check time.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077TRCXSD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Pippen said:

 

I bought one of these digital clocks. I think it's pretty funny that it's advertised for the elderly because I put it in my classroom below the analog clock. I was tired of my 12 year old students pulling out their cell phones to check time.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077TRCXSD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well, I made it this far without buying anything, but that one got me. 

My 8 yr old will love it, he's always asking me "what's today?". 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2021 at 5:16 PM, popmom said:

I recently bought a 2012 Toyota Highlander with only 65k miles. Great deal. I took it to my mechanic for pre purchase inspection, and he told he not to expect the dealer to negotiate, but they did! I scored a deal! I really love it--more than I thought I would. I've never owned an SUV before. Best part is it's paid for! 

We like our Highlander too!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bamboo cutting board
New KA french door refrigerator
Dish drying mat (the fabric kind)
Tower fan with remote control AND window A/C unit with remote control (yes, we do have HVAC) 🙂
Chico's girlfriend jeans LOL

These we've had for 2-3 years but the KA we just got last month!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, TheReader said:

y'all. 

I went shopping/antiquing with my mom today, and while I'm a quilter, I'm not really a "buy every vintage quilt I find" quilter or anything like that. 

But. 

This one little shop had this absolutely gorgeous quilt (pattern is called double wedding ring), with the tiniest pieces, all hand done, feedsack materials, still in relatively good shape, really really lovely, hand quilted.......for only $98.  Which is believe me, an absolute steal. Holy heck. 

As I just got paid for my tutoring side gig, that paid for the quilt and the lunch and all, and....y'all. It's so freaking pretty. I don't think I've ever been this in love with a quilt before. Now to convince the husband that it can indeed go on the end of our bed.....

 

Reader, Do you belong to a quilter's club?  How can one find someone to repair an antique quilt?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2021 at 5:16 PM, popmom said:

I recently bought a 2012 Toyota Highlander with only 65k miles. Great deal. I took it to my mechanic for pre purchase inspection, and he told he not to expect the dealer to negotiate, but they did! I scored a deal! I really love it--more than I thought I would. I've never owned an SUV before. Best part is it's paid for! 

I also have a Highlander, my third Toyota in a row over the last 17 years (Sienna, Venza, Highlander). I don't even look at other brands; I just determine what kind of car I need for this stage of life and buy the Toyota version of it. When my other family members' cars are having problems (last week, we basically paid our garage guy's mortgage), my Toyota is humming along, thriving on neglect. For inspiration on the longevity of your Highlander, my bought my grandmother's Camry when she died. The Camry was 13 yo with 35K miles. My daughter drove it for 4 years, until she moved to California. She is HARD on cars because she is not a great driver, but we never had any work done on it other than tires (when we got it, it had the ORIGINAL 13 yo tires on it) and the like. We gave it to my nephew, who is still driving it. It is 20 years old!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

Reader, Do you belong to a quilter's club?  How can one find someone to repair an antique quilt?

I quilt, so will probably repair it myself; there are different methods depending on if it's going to be a museum piece, or a cuddle on the couch piece. 

If you have one you are needing repaired, I would do a search in your area for a quilt/fabric shop, and start there. The owner &/or employees may be able to repair it, or know someone who can, or at least point you in the right direction. 

You could also search "quilt guild" in your area and find someone that way; most quilters could handle a repair as long as it's not a museum type piece. For this one, there are a few small holes, so I will get some fabric that semi-matches (I do have one authentic feed sack to use for parts of it) and just applique on little patches; if it were a museum piece or something, the repair would involve trying to match/replicate the pattern of the quilt so that the repair becomes almost invisible -- this is just going to stay in our home, and I'm happy with just basically patching it. 

I talked to DH and I think we're going to hang this one on the wall behind our bed, as a focal point. I'm working today on fixing it (probably all weekend), then will clean it, then we can hang it. ❤️ 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finally broke down and bought a custom planner from Agendio. I'm a planner snob and have never been able to find exactly what I need, so this was great. I bought the journal size, which is about an A5 - it's a bit larger than I really like but the customizations are working well. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, TheReader said:

Here it is, all spread out on my bed (queen sized bed). There are some spots that need repair, but overall in gorgeous shape. The pink squares are just bigger than a quarter (a quarter laid inside the square touches all 4 sides of the square)...the pieces that make the curves are just that much smaller. 

 

ETA: geez, pardon the mess! LOL! 

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

I am so impressed with all you folks who can make things. That is really truly just so impressive to me. Seriously gorgeous. I wish I had learned to do stuff like that when I was younger. I swear, I don't have a creative bone in my body; that side of the brain all went to my sister. #Goals

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2021 at 7:12 PM, athena1277 said:

Dh’s back was hurting while we were out of town a few weeks ago, so we bought a heating pad with a massage function.  I normally hate the way massagers feel.  However, I have COVID and right now it’s the best thing ever for the backaches I’ve been having.  I use it several times a day.

Ooh - we need one of those! Where did you get it, if you don't mind sharing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, wathe said:

Nice!  The antibody socks are super-cute.

What I meant was no organized, national, grassroots, non-government covid vaccine advocacy campaign (with shirts!) like This Is Our Shot.  But it's equally possible that I just am bad at google 🙂

I think I might buy those. Damn these threads!!!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2021 at 6:40 AM, Farrar said:

I bought these utterly nonsense shoes (are they bowling shoes? sandals? sneakers? who knows!) at the start of the summer and I've gotten a lot of wear out of them and I still really love them.

I adore Spring Step Shoes. I have a bunch of their sandals. They are having a good end of summer sale right now. I have these:

https://www.springstepshoes.com/products/jivvi-shoe?variant=31662837923900

https://www.springstepshoes.com/collections/sandals/products/floradacious-shoe?variant=32718232289340

https://www.springstepshoes.com/products/lawita-sandals?variant=32749183500348

And these boots:

https://www.springstepshoes.com/collections/boots-1/products/exguisitie-boot?variant=32461089964092

Yes, I have a bit of a shoe problem. I am aware. 😉 
 

 

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

Ooh - we need one of those! Where did you get it, if you don't mind sharing?

It’s a Walgreens brand we bought at their store.  There may be better ones out there.  We were on vacation and needed something quickly.

Edited by athena1277
Fix typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2021 at 12:13 AM, Amira said:

A baking steel.  It makes the best flatbreads and pizza I’ve ever made at home.

Do you have a link for this?    I looked a little for for one but the ones I found were very expensive (about 100).    We make pizza lot, how does baking it on a steel make it better?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, TheReader said:

Here it is, all spread out on my bed (queen sized bed). There are some spots that need repair, but overall in gorgeous shape. The pink squares are just bigger than a quarter (a quarter laid inside the square touches all 4 sides of the square)...the pieces that make the curves are just that much smaller. 

 

ETA: geez, pardon the mess! LOL! 

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

This quilt is gorgeous!  I would have gotten it too!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2021 at 11:31 AM, Clarita said:

I don’t know whether to thank you for this, or not. The immersion blender I bought on a lightning deal a couple years back for under 20 bucks just broke. I expected the vita mix version would be more expensive, but darn.  Maybe if I buy it as a  Christmas gift for my DH.

3 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I like the sticker that says "Fully Vaxxed, Still Antisocial".

that was my favorite, too! One of my kids would really appreciate that. I also liked the very subtle T-shirt with a Band-Aid on the sleeve.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, KSera said:

I don’t know whether to thank you for this, or not. The immersion blender I bought on a lightning deal a couple years back for under 20 bucks just broke. I expected the vita mix version would be more expensive, but darn.  Maybe if I buy it as a  Christmas gift for my DH.

Just an FYI my first reaction to this was "We already have an immersion blender..." You can most definitely do the same things with a much cheaper immersion blender or a blender. If you need to hear like sometimes I have to it is not a necessary appliance.   

Vitamix has been on lightening deals before so maybe it could happen again. (Last month my husband went on a Vitamix buying spree because a bunch of their stuff was half off.) 

Edited by Clarita
typo
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

I am so impressed with all you folks who can make things. That is really truly just so impressive to me. Seriously gorgeous. I wish I had learned to do stuff like that when I was younger. I swear, I don't have a creative bone in my body; that side of the brain all went to my sister. #Goals

well, to be fair, this quilt is not one I made, and I specifically bought it because, while I do quilt/make quilts, this particular pattern intimidates the heck out of me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I LOVE these canisters. They are super easy to open - even for the 4 year old. They are super easy to see into, and this particular shape/size fits really well on my shelves.  I have the square style as well, but they waste space so am switching to mostly these. I put crackers, pretzels, oats, cookies, etc etc in them - anything that might get stale or spilled out of the bag. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-Gardens-Flip-Tite-Rectangular-Container-11-5-Cups-Set-of-4/720868003

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

Well, dammit, between the two of you, now I have a new favorite shoe website. :sigh: 

Have bookmarked the site so I can peruse at my leisure this evening. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My cat loves this cat shelf - we had tried a different style, that "hung" but the cats hated it. This one the supports are below the shelf, and he LOVES it. And he's a FAT cat, and it supports him well. I got it because both cats want to lounge on my desk all day because it is by the window, and I didn't have room for my laptop, extra monitor, etc. Now I'm down to one cat on the desk, and one cat on the shelf. They are double decker cats, lol. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...