Menu

Cat care question . . . UPDATE first post with Photos

gardenmom5

He seems to have a thorn - or something, (it feels more than a scab as it protrudes) in his head, by his ear.  It's not bothering him, it doesn't seem swollen around it.  The only sign of anything I've seen is licking his right paw (it's been checked - before I discovered the "thorn" on his head).  I've tried to remove it, but seem to be getting mostly fur.  he's been remarkably patient, though will start to growl if it get's too annoying for him. he hasn't really tried to bite - which I consider progress.

I'm trying to get him into the vet - but it's at least next week.  

should I keep trying to get it out?  - I'm giving him treats when I'm done.

I could probably post a pix if I can get dudeling to help me hold him while I take one.

UPDATE:  Here are some photos.  The second one is with a magnification lens on my phone..

20210902_143817.jpg

2021-9-2 14-47-59.jpg

Edited by gardenmom5

• gardenmom5 changed the title to Cat care question . . . UPDATE first post with Photos
2 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Sure it isn't a tick?

Apparently we do have ticks here - but this would literally be the first time I've ever heard of one from anyone I know encountering one here.

16 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

could he have gotten something sticky stuck in his fur? And the thorn is just matted hair? If that may be it, you can try a cotton ball dipped in hot water, and soaking it a bit to see if it comes out. 

It's definitely not a weed seed as he's brushed against them.  (he's had a bunch, and they'll usually come right out.)

I can see what happens with a cotton ball.

3 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Does it look like a little horn? They can get growths called cutaneous horns, which are caused by excess keratin production. They usually occur on or around the paw pads, but can also show up on other parts of the body.

Interesting.  I've never heard of this before. might be a possibility.

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Does kitty go outside? Or have another cat in the house? I've had a cat end up with a toenail from another cat stuck in them before. 

He spends a lot of time outside - he is SOOOOO much happier.  It doesn't look - or feel like - a claw of any animal.  and too big to have come from something he killed.  He brings me presents, because we obviously don't know how to hunt.   I wish he'd at least kill them before dropping them off (rather than mortally injuring them.)  

mice and baby rabbits - dh is rooting for him to start going after the moles.

and the little stinker - I called him to come in, and he came to the door, then decided he really didn't want to come inside and just plopped down about five feet away.  It was a warm evening.  If it's cool out - he'll glare at me like it's my fault.  He's even worse if it's raining.

I added pictures in the first post.

33 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

maybe just a scab?

It's hard to get a good pix.  It is dimensional,  not flat.   It's been there for more than a week.  No change.   Unlike any scab I've seen.   From how it feels,  I could see it being a subcutaneous horn/growth.  He has an appointment on Tuesday,  but I may be leaving town with guests. So... thunk.

Totally, insanely gross, but -- They can get cuterebra (also called botflies or warbles). It's essentially a grub larvae under the skin. Here's a Wiki article with more info.

I know this because DH's watches way too many episodes of The Incredible Dr. Pol. 😉 And now every time I see or hear about a cat with a sore it's what I think of.

I hope that's not it, but if so . . despite the grossness apparently it's usually fairly harmless, and an easy fix.

• Like 1