Menu

Can you recommend a visually appealing science text for a non-mathy 8th-9th grader?

6packofun

The Conceptual _____ series by Hewitt (and Suchocki and Lyons) has been good for my students who like science, but lack the math prowess. 

I went old school and taught it myself (and I am NOT science minded, but we learned together), but there are online classes for the books that look nicely done.

https://learnscience.academy/

Conceptual Physical Science Explorations or Conceptual Integrated Science Explorations might be good for the age/grade/ability you mentioned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zoo Keeper said:

there are online classes for the books that look nicely done.

My older two did the integrated high school class together but without much input from me in 7th grade. They really liked the Hewitt physics videos, but interest dropped some when they moved to the other topics and the videos were out together by the other teachers. I don't remember which integrated class they did. They didn't finish the class, but that hadn't been a priority.

• Like 1

The Power Practice series from Creative Teaching Press using brief text and activities. https://www.creativeteaching.com/products/power-practice-physical-science-ebook  This is their gr5-8 physical science but they have many other books in the series. 

For high school level material with reduced reading level but engaging activities, consider the Walch Power Basics series. This vendor carries now only the Power Basics but also other publishers/brands that might suit her. https://www.wiesereducational.com/products/power-basics-biology-wl3171.htm  

• Like 2

Are you looking super specifically at a text book format, because for a student who's just starting in science I may go to more of a video based program. (Save me some hassle of doing some of the cooler experiments or field trips.)

Generation Genius goes to 8th grade. The videos are full production and they have experiments and worksheets tied in. They do not sell themselves as a full science curriculum; I'm not sure if that's because they don't meet standards and/or they just don't have a full scope and sequence (it's just individual topics so it's pretty easy to connect to another less visually appealing curriculum.)

Discovery Education essentially gives you access to a bunch of the educational Discovery channel shows/snippets of shows. There isn't anything extra in terms of school work. I think it could be a more appealing hard science exploration. If you have some topics in mind you could add some videos from it.