Menu

Shurley English questions

Ema

After years of ignoring Shurley English for various shallow reasons, I am being slowly drawn in by its tractor beam. DD11 (6th grade this year) and DD9 (4th grade) have both gone through FLL levels 1-4 (1-3 for 4th grader). Last year I had DD11 do IEW’s ‘The Nose Tree’ as a break from the heavy, long lessons of the FLL series. This year I am having a grammar identity crisis. Initially I thought I would put both girls in MP’s grammar series, but we are very MP heavy this year and is just too much of the same. I am trying out TGTB Language Arts program as a ‘heavy supplement,’ and while there is grammar in there, I wonder if it is going to be enough. Both girls did well in the FLL series in that they were able to figure out the parts of speech and do the diagramming, and they both know the definitions of the nouns, verbs, etc., but it hasn’t really transferred out from that series. Testing has not been okay but not strong in grammar. IF I decided to try out Shurley this year, what level would be best for them coming from the FLL series? From viewing the samples online, I think they could handle their grade levels, but there would probably be a benefit from putting DD11 in a lower level, right? So she can get used to the new series, teaching method, etc.? If I could put the girls together in level 4 it would sure make my life easier. Also, about how much time does a lesson take? How many days a week does it take? We moved a month and a half ago and are still adjusting, especially DS6, and DD2’s potty training was disrupted by the change. I can’t add in anything too heavy or long—this semester at least. Anything else I should know? Thanks!

20 hours ago, Ema said:

After years of ignoring Shurley English for various shallow reasons, I am being slowly drawn in by its tractor beam. DD11 (6th grade this year) and DD9 (4th grade) have both gone through FLL levels 1-4 (1-3 for 4th grader). Last year I had DD11 do IEW’s ‘The Nose Tree’ as a break from the heavy, long lessons of the FLL series. This year I am having a grammar identity crisis. Initially I thought I would put both girls in MP’s grammar series, but we are very MP heavy this year and is just too much of the same. I am trying out TGTB Language Arts program as a ‘heavy supplement,’ and while there is grammar in there, I wonder if it is going to be enough. Both girls did well in the FLL series in that they were able to figure out the parts of speech and do the diagramming, and they both know the definitions of the nouns, verbs, etc., but it hasn’t really transferred out from that series. Testing has not been okay but not strong in grammar. IF I decided to try out Shurley this year, what level would be best for them coming from the FLL series? From viewing the samples online, I think they could handle their grade levels, but there would probably be a benefit from putting DD11 in a lower level, right? So she can get used to the new series, teaching method, etc.? If I could put the girls together in level 4 it would sure make my life easier. Also, about how much time does a lesson take? How many days a week does it take? We moved a month and a half ago and are still adjusting, especially DS6, and DD2’s potty training was disrupted by the change. I can’t add in anything too heavy or long—this semester at least. Anything else I should know? Thanks!

The grammar in TGTB ended up being enough. My son did BJU English through level 5. Then he did TGTB and after 1 level, he finally seems to remember and get it. BJU was too rote. TGTB was interesting and varied in presentation.