Menu

Well-trained bodies - September

Laura Corin

6 minutes ago, Soror said:

Yes, new things are hard. When is it you are hoping to move PT? I just work PT and think I'd like to keep it that way but who knows what the future holds.

Age 61 I hope. That's when Husband went PT. We'll have to see where the finances are by then. That's 2 1/2 years.

• Like 2

Oooh boy, this work/two classes/still dealing with physical and mental health stuff/trying to stay active and eat well thing is kicking my butt.

Yesterday, I once again fell short of my step goal, despite going out for a decent walk in the evening. And today I have work + an online meeting with the team for a class project + a ton of homework to finish before tomorrow night's class. Honestly, I think I have overdone it this semester.

That said, I did take a decent walk this morning, 3.4K, and then did 25 minutes of strength and stretching and a few minutes of jogging on the mini-trampoline. 

I scarfed a breakfast protein bar along with fruit and coffee for breakfast, and managed a small salad and some hummus and chips for lunch (in two shifts with a meeting in between). No clue yet what dinner will look like.

My husband has volunteered to drive our bonus YA to work this afternoon so that I can wrap up work on time and be ready for my school meeting. After that, my plan is to take another walk and then use whatever time I have before my brain melts down to do homework.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 88.3 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 206 Days
South Lake Trail ?: 0 of 13 miles

• Like 5

It was rainy in the morning, and I didn't get out for a walk until it was dark. But it was a really nice evening for walking - passed many people and fellow dog-walkers. I ended up walking a solid hour with the dog. 

@Laura Corin Hope your sleep improves tonight. Part-time work would be lovely! 

@Soror All the best with your new job and the application process! 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Age 61 I hope. That's when Husband went PT. We'll have to see where the finances are by then. That's 2 1/2 years.

That will be here rather soon.

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

It was rainy in the morning, and I didn't get out for a walk until it was dark. But it was a really nice evening for walking - passed many people and fellow dog-walkers. I ended up walking a solid hour with the dog. 

@Laura Corin Hope your sleep improves tonight. Part-time work would be lovely! 

@Soror All the best with your new job and the application process! 

Thank you! Orientation went well. I start Monday. I think it doesn't seem too bad but it is still different.

I did get in some walking although not as much as I wanted. Dd1's friend had a wreck in a side by side and was in the hospital so I took her to the hospital to visit before they sent her off to the bigger hospital. (just broken bones)

Today is pushup workout day, woot, woot! I'll will be pacing myself and modifying as necessary but I'm excited to see my progress. And again hope for a walk.

• Like 5

I had one of those days yesterday when I just felt like I couldn't catch up to myself. I forced myself to turn away from the computer after my class project group meeting and go for a walk long enough to meet my step goal, then sat back down and did homework until a little after 1:00 AM. It's unclear whether I slept through my alarm or it just didn't go off (although it was set properly), but I managed to "oversleep" despite getting only a little over four hours of actual rest. 

Great start to the day.

Nonetheless, I did log about 3.3K of walking and did a somewhat rushed 20 minutes of strength and stretching before settling in to work (late) for the day. 

Class again tonight, but I hope to squeeze in the remainder of my homework at lunch and grab a walk between logging off work and logging into school.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 96.3 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 207 Days

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

At some point this afternoon, I just couldn't keep my eyes open and stay upright in my chair, so I conked out for about an hour. I squeezed in a walk before logging into class, which was nice because I don't often get outside at that time of day. 

I caught a couple of nice photos and thought I'd share my favorite.

IMG_20210922_180143373_HDR.jpg

I love all the green, gorgeous.

• Like 2

I did my pushup workout! 48 sets of pushup variations. I could do all but 1 of them. Now, I had to modify to easier versions sometimes (like a couple on my knees and some not as much range of motion) but I did it. We had 8 sets of standard pushups and I did them all from my toes- just 5 at a time as I knew that would be stretching it with so many sets. I felt strong. I can't wait to try in another couple of months to see my progress. I didn't do pushups except from my knees for 9 months after I aggravated my shoulder so it is nice to finally see progress again. I am however sore today- not too bad yet. 

Today is a rest day so I'll do some yoga and walking. My hip is feeling tight so I need to really stretch it and do some foam rolling. 

• Like 5

It rained hard all day long yesterday. I ended up doing some walking inside at big box stores while my ds was in his guitar lesson. Not ideal, but at least there was some movement for me. 😉

I'm hoping to go paddling this evening with friends as long as the rain holds off. 

@Jenny in Florida Gorgeous photo! That is a heavy schedule with work and 2 courses. All the best! 

• Like 5

Well, I overslept again this morning, but at least I managed a little over six hours of sleep in the process. I had to be at my desk for a (brief) 8:45 meeting, though, so I had to cut the usual morning routine short. I managed juuuuuusssst barely 3.0K of walking and skipped the usual exercise. Fortunately, one of my meetings for the day just got cancelled, meaning I might be able to steal 20 minutes or so of break time to do at least a little bit.

I met my step goal for yesterday with more living room pacing. I hope to avoid that today by spreading out the steps more evenly throughout the day.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 102.5 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 208 Days

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

@Soror - That sounds like an insanely difficult workout! I consider it a good day if I manage 30 wall push-ups. Good for you!

3 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Very much in the knee push-up camp here. 

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

Wall pushups for me because my shifty elbows cannot take it when I try from the floor.

Push-ups are hard. I've been working on it for literally years. I'd make progress then aggravate my old shoulder injury= have to take a break, rinse and repeat (injuries are no fun and it is much better to go slow and easy then aggravate an injury or create a new one- I've been a slow learner on this). For anyone working on them if you aren't already more focused core work this year has really helped my progress. They feel so much better now. I had strengthened my core so much already I didn't see that as a weak area but I upped the challenge level and have seen I have plenty of room to progress. And I tell you despite no 'ab' work yesterday- the whole workout was pushups- my entire core is sore. My core is actually more sore than my upper body at the moment!

• Like 4

I broke the balance of yesterday's steps into two shorter walks, which worked well and meant I didn't end up pacing the living room later in the evening.

Last night was another not-quite-four-hours-of-sleep experience, but I got out of bed at a reasonable time and walked (3.5K) and exercised (30 minutes) before work. I also opted to walk the dog to and from her flu shot appointment at the vet (another 2.9K), which puts me a little over 10,000 steps for the day so far. 

I've definitely not been eating well the last few days, and I didn't even log yesterday (or today, so far). It's been a crummy week, emotionally, and I'm busy and tired. If food isn't easy and quick, it's just not happening at all, so I have fallen back into opening packages, cans and bags and calling it a meal. Planning to force myself to get on the scale tomorrow morning, though, to see just how bad the situation is.

Meantime, I'll take another walk and/or ride the stationary bike later, depending on weather and who needs me to do what this evening.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 112.3 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 209 Days

• Like 5

17 hours ago, wintermom said:

It rained again today, so paddling was cancelled. I did get an hour of walking the dog in the evening, which was really nice. 

@Soror Great job with all the push-ups!! Wonderful your shoulders can handle them all!

Sorry about the rain 😞

Yes, I'm very stoked that my shoulder is not hurting after all those pushups!!! That is HUGE progress. 

@Jenny in Florida sorry about the sleep. My night was the same. Asleep after 12 and up at 4. I laid back down for a 20-30 min nap this morning and have been moving rather slowly. Hopefully you adjust to your schedule and/or it eases up. When things change it is hard to stay on track with all your other goals (at least it is for me). I can only intensely focus on so many things at a time. 

Today was scheduled to be full body but I opted out- because of the lack of sleep and to protect my shoulder. It is not bothering me but I'd rather not push it. I am getting ready to go out for a walk. Eating was blech yesterday but I hit the so tired I felt ill stage today and haven't ate all that much. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Soror said:

Sorry about the rain 😞

Yes, I'm very stoked that my shoulder is not hurting after all those pushups!!! That is HUGE progress. 

@Jenny in Florida sorry about the sleep. My night was the same. Asleep after 12 and up at 4. I laid back down for a 20-30 min nap this morning and have been moving rather slowly. Hopefully you adjust to your schedule and/or it eases up. When things change it is hard to stay on track with all your other goals (at least it is for me). I can only intensely focus on so many things at a time. 

Today was scheduled to be full body but I opted out- because of the lack of sleep and to protect my shoulder. It is not bothering me but I'd rather not push it. I am getting ready to go out for a walk. Eating was blech yesterday but I hit the so tired I felt ill stage today and haven't ate all that much. 

Yes, the rain was a disappointment, but I was able to get in a really nice walk later on.

So sorry your sleep troubles are continuing. This time last year I was having huge sleep issues. I've been doing really well this year, and I think the success has been taking daily cetirizine for my allergies. 

• Like 3

Hi all,

I'm going to cancel my WW membership. I lost 30 lbs on it a few years back, when there was a location across the street from my house. Then I got changed to "lifetime," which meant I could go and not pay. Then the location closed, after which COVID hit and everyone got free fees for a while.

Well, WW hasn't reopened in my community. I've been having one-on-one coaching calls, which has been quite helpful, but I can't justify the $55/month fee indefinitely and there is no such thing as lifetime online.

What easy-to-use online food tracking have you used? I need something that doesn't treat everything as calories because calories make me think weirdly about food.

(I'll cross post this to Frugalistas.)

• Like 4

Dh and I played doubles tennis last night for 2 hours. It was so good to get out and hits some tennis balls again! The only problem was that I hurt my shoulder somehow. I'm going to hike today instead of paddle to let it rest.

Happily, my weight is still on a downward trend (rather than upward). My method of avoiding foods that trigger my allergies (and added fluid retention), avoiding snacking, and making sure I eat animal protein (chicken/eggs/fish mainly) at each meal is working well. I've tried introducing beans and lentils, but the bloating and gas is very uncomfortable.

@EmilyGF Welcome! You can always post here and use the wonderful ladies here for support along your journey. 😃 I'm very much with you on not all calories are equal. It's a nice easy way for a large company dealing with millions of people to start people off, though. You have that experience and now can plan your own individual food program.

@Ali in OR How is work going? I hope you have a nice bunch of students.

• Like 4

Hello All,  pushed weights this past week.  I decided to go as heavier wen possible.  Watched my sugar intake and found I sleep and feel so much better.   Its so hard to cut out refined sugar.   Got a 45 min run in this beautiful fall morning and looking forward to running more and enjoying these cooler mornings.

Hope everyone is doing well.

• Like 4

Dh and I went for a really nice 2 hr hike in the forested and rocky area with the beavers. I didn't see any beavers, but it was very nice to hike in the park again. Good work-out with all the climbs and decends. 

This evening we'll be playing doubles tennis. Happily my shoulder is feeling much better! 😃

We did a fun family activity of going to an escape room yesterday. It's the 5th we've been to, and the dc are getting to be experts. They are so fast at figuring out clues now. We escaped with 20 minutes to spare. 

• Like 5

I think I missed posting yesterday, but it was nothing exceptional. 

Walked just about 4K this morning. No other exercises, because I've decided not to worry about that on weekends. I am getting a late start and have a full day of schoolwork ahead. So, not sure how or when I'll log the balance of my steps. 

I do have photos to share, though, of a couple of birds the dog and I encountered on our walk this morning.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 125.0 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 211 Days

Birds 20210926.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Walk and some yoga yesterday after my morning HIIT session.

Today I am aiming for some yoga, maybe short core session, some walking.

My sleep is improved over where it was. I do not usually have difficulty falling asleep now. But I'm still waking in the night. In the last 2 weeks I've had 2 nights I slept through. One was Saturday night. I was hoping maybe this was hormonal (as it has been an issue in the past the last half of my cycle) but then I awoke at 2 last night. This points to more of an issue of my thyroid med, as I had suspected. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I'm going away on Wednesday night to The Highlands.  We'll be doing some walking, and some curling up with books.  I think I'll work on harder yoga today and tomorrow, as I'll get all the walking I need later in the week.

We are in the midst of celebrating Husband's birthday - big meals on Friday and Saturday; cake on the coming Wednesday - but I seem to be keeping my weight within zone.  I'm about 3/4 of a kilo below my limit, so not a lot of leeway, but there is very slight downwards movement overall.

• Like 5

Stayed up far too late last night watching the long-delayed Tony Awards, during which I did some living room pacing to log the last of my steps.

Consequently, I had trouble getting out of bed on time and wound up walking just barely 3K and running out of time to do any additional exercise before work. I hope to take a break this morning and do something.

It's going to be a challenging week. Work is extremely busy, and I'm struggling with keeping up with school (or possibly making the difficult decision to withdraw from one of the two classes, despite the fact that I am past the refund date). Food logging has fallen by the wayside again, and I'm afraid to get on the scale. 

I'm planning to focus on just keeping my head above water and meeting my minimum daily goals for steps and exercise until I get this project out the door and figure out what to do about school.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 129.4 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 212 Days

• Like 5

I was out all weekend, road tripping to spend time with fil who has advanced dementia. Also got to see various assorted beloved others along the way.

Mostly we were in the car or sitting visiting people, but we did fit in a good hour-long walk yesterday with ds and nephew. 

Today I will do my PT regimen and something aerobic (Zumba or something like that). I ate either super-healthy or terrible all weekend. Salads or veg stirfry a couple times, but then there was also junk in the car and fast food. So this week the goal is totally clean eating—I was astounded at how icky the junk food feels. I am actually craving plain food now. Looking forward to soup and salad for dinner tonight.

• Like 5

I played doubles tennis for 2.5 hrs last night. It was really fun, a good work-out, and my shoulder didn't hurt at all. 

Here's a photo from my Saturday hike. Notice the purple colour of the maple trees in the distance. It's kind of nice, but also weird. They are normally bright red. Perhaps the lack of water played a role, as this lake is normally full of water.

IMG_20210925_132859049.jpg

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

@Laura Corin enjoy your time away.

@Ali in OR Ya for the scale moving down.

@Harriet VaneIt is hard to eat well when travelling. I totally understand the craving for good food. I know if I have too much junk I'm totally craving fresh food. 

@wintermom gorgeous trees!

@Jenny in Floridagood luck deciding what to do about your classes. That is a rough schedule. 

• Like 4

I ran out of time for a walk yesterday. I did get another application in and that took longer than I thought it would. I took the girls and we went with dh on his trip to college. I didn't get home until nearly bed time. I did get in yoga and a short core workout.

Today I will get in a walk! Probably some yoga too.

I'm doing smoothie bowls for breakfast (fruit, greek yogurt- nuts and oats sprinkled on top). Still working on upping fruits and vegs. Seems I'm having a hard time getting where i want to be. Thinking about too many other things I think. I'll keep trying and will try to be focused when I make my menu today. I'm thinking I'll make a batch of the yummy lentil soap to have for lunches this week.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Soror said:

I ran out of time for a walk yesterday. I did get another application in and that took longer than I thought it would. I took the girls and we went with dh on his trip to college. I didn't get home until nearly bed time. I did get in yoga and a short core workout.

Today I will get in a walk! Probably some yoga too.

I'm doing smoothie bowls for breakfast (fruit, greek yogurt- nuts and oats sprinkled on top). Still working on upping fruits and vegs. Seems I'm having a hard time getting where i want to be. Thinking about too many other things I think. I'll keep trying and will try to be focused when I make my menu today. I'm thinking I'll make a batch of the yummy lentil soap to have for lunches this week.

All the best with the job hunt! Sometimes the application process is so long and tedious. Hang in there!

Your family road trip to dh's college sounds like fun! Upping veggie intake is a goal of mine as well.

• Like 4

The sun is finally back! I'm going to get in a couple of longer walks today, as yesterday was rainy and I only squeezed in 2 short dog walks.

Other news: We are no longer moving to CO. With the 2 year delay due to Covid, and the changes in family and my job circumstances because of this, dh and I decided to stay put for the next few years. We may do a move when the youngest ds has graduated. It's both a relief and a slight disappointment. It would have been a nice adventure, but there will be more opportunities for adventures in the future. 😉

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, wintermom said:

The sun is finally back! I'm going to get in a couple of longer walks today, as yesterday was rainy and I only squeezed in 2 short dog walks.

Other news: We are no longer moving to CO. With the 2 year delay due to Covid, and the changes in family and my job circumstances because of this, dh and I decided to stay put for the next few years. We may do a move when the youngest ds has graduated. It's both a relief and a slight disappointment. It would have been a nice adventure, but there will be more opportunities for adventures in the future. 😉

I'm sorry that your plans were knocked sideways, but I'm glad you seem positive about the outcome.

Running around today getting ready to go away/celebrate Husband's birthday.  I'm going to try very hard for some yoga.  I enjoyed this one yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-e55pc4ZSk&list=PLW0v0k7UCVrkDfBQDH7vqSClU4Ee07JUB&index=9

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm sorry that your plans were knocked sideways, but I'm glad you seem positive about the outcome.

Running around today getting ready to go away/celebrate Husband's birthday.  I'm going to try very hard for some yoga.  I enjoyed this one yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-e55pc4ZSk&list=PLW0v0k7UCVrkDfBQDH7vqSClU4Ee07JUB&index=9

It's amazing how much can change in 2 years, both in our family and in the world. We're pretty content with how things are rolling along right now, so it just makes sense to keep to the status quo and count our blessings. 🙂

Thanks for the link to the yoga. I've been wanting to get back to do more stretching, so I will definitely try it out!

• Like 4