Menu

Well-trained bodies - September

Laura Corin

7 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

@Laura CorinI'm right there with you! My stress and anger centers on technology and having to use it for my job and having it fail repeatedly. I can teach without it, but I'm not allowed to by the district (have to use certain systems like Canvas). But they can't seem to get a technology system working reliably for me. Small problems got fixed by the tech guy in the middle of my first period on the first day of instruction. Then at the end of yesterday (second day), my work computer stopped connecting to anything--Google drive (where all the shared materials are that I need to access), our instruction delivery program, etc. I got the tech guy in there before he went home and he could not figure it out in the 15-20 minutes that he had. He could not access any of these things logged in as himself on my device either, so he thinks there is something wrong with the device. And he's already booked first thing Monday morning. So my grand plans of getting my whole week planned and ready to go on the computer over the weekend THE ONLY TIME I HAVE EXTRA TIME are now up in smoke. I have a sub on Wed/Thurs while we take youngest to college. I'm just going to plan the whole week as if I have no computer. Because that seems to pretty much be the case everyday. And I'm tired of being told I have to do everything on the computer (I want to collect homework on paper, but they tell me kids in quarantine have to be able to submit on Canvas which would force me to make everyone submit on Canvas as that's how I would have to set up the assignments). AUGH!

Anyway. You see what my weekend plans will be. But first I started my day with the Lower Back Love Yoga again--hip still hurting--and my back exercises which I shortened to just the ones lying down.

I sympathise.  My issues are currently to do with teaching staff and their bosses continually making decisions that have administrative consequences, without any reference to the actual capacity to fulfil them of the support staff.

• Like 3

I did end up riding the stationary bike for a bit yesterday (about 12 miles/45 minutes) while talking to my daughter on the phone. Not ideal for breathing or talking, but she happened to call just about when I was getting started. I then finished up for the day with a second walk later in the evening. 

I felt like I was eating everything in the house yesterday, but when I logged everything, my intake wasn't too bad. I still came in a few hundred calories under what Fitbit estimated as my calories burned. When I got on the scale this morning, I was down the two pounds I had gained most recently, which I guess is a start.

I didn't really sleep when I should have last night and ended up oversleeping this morning, meaning I had time for only about 2.2K of walking before I had to be available to drive our bonus YA to work. Talked my husband into venturing out to the farmers' market, though, where we made up some of those steps I missed this morning and also loaded up on nice veggies (and yet another fancy flavored balsamic) I'm actually looking forward to eating. 

As usual, another walk and/or stationary biking later to finish off the daily steps.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 30.3 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 196 Days
West Orange Trail: 19.65 of 22 miles (Hoping to finish tomorrow -- weather permitting 🤞)

• Like 4

@Laura Corin I'm right there with you trying not to eat all the things. With my changing sleep schedule it has been hard. I'll be so glad to get adjusted to it.

Full body strength yesterday was a tough one but I got it done. 

I was in the car almost all day today and had a bunch of errands yesterday. Planning and hoping for a more active day tomorrow- starting with HIIT in the morning.

• Like 4

@Ali in OR That sounds really frustrating. I hope the school can figure out a solution really soon.

@Harriet Vane Hope you had a nice canoe paddle!

@Laura Corin I hope your hip is feeling better - or that you received some good advice from the dr about recovering.

@MissLemon That's wonderful news about your weight loss! Great job!

I went for a couple walks today and a kayak paddle. It was windy paddling, so it felt like a good work-out. I'm really tired today, though. Probably a combination between the tennis last night and my allergies. Hopefully I'll bounce back tomorrow. 

• Like 5

Finally got out to walk the last chunk of the West Orange Trail this morning. I've been looking around for my next walking project, and I discovered when I reached the end of this trail that it connects to another one. The South Lake Trail is shorter (13 miles) but is supposed to be quite pretty and a little more challenging to walk. Unless something else strikes my fancy before the next time I feel like heading out, I think that is next up.

I also walked the dog around the block a couple of times before my husband delivered me to the trail. All told, that puts me at just about 6.5K for the morning.

The last few weeks, I haven't managed to do any strength/stretching stuff on weekend mornings. In the name of not driving myself crazy, I think I'm going to go ahead and back off from the six-days-a-week goal. 

I did well with food yesterday, following our farmers' market haul. Roasted baby potatoes and rainbow carrots with corn on the cob for dinner, then some strawberries drizzled with some yummy aged strawberry-infused balsamic vinegar and a handful of glazed pecans as a snack. 

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 39.2 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 197 Days
West Orange Trail: 22 of 22 miles

Untitled presentation (23).jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 4

Hello ladies. This week I did a different weight training work out back to beach body this week.  It's been a busy stressful month but this itty bittys arrival into the world made it so much better. My 3rd grandbaby Emma Novaliereceived_447108936516158.thumb.jpeg.e0a63763c408f02891ddd747123878d0.jpeg

Edited by lynn
  • Like 6

@Jenny in Florida Thanks for sharing the lovely photos of your walking scenery. Looks gorgeous! Hope you enjoy the newly discovered trail.

@lynn Congratulations on the new grandbaby! Just precious. 

I had a really rough sleep mostly because my body felt exhausted, like it was crying out for oxygen. I slept in late and now I feel ok. I'll take it easy today and just do some easy walking. 

• Like 4

Yesterday’s canoeing went great! It was such an encouragement for me. I have struggled through major joint dysfunction for years. My hands were really weak for years. Giving up gluten and dairy brought a dramatic improvement in joint pain, and I have done tons of hand therapy. I was able to really actually paddle for quite some time!!! Even when my hands ached from the gripping and my elbows started shifting more from fatigue, I was able to modify my grip, take more rest intervals, and keep going. All told it was 2 1/2 hours on the lake. I forgot my elbow braces so now I wonder if I could go longer with braces and perhaps a rubber loop on the paddle so I do not have to grip tightly.

• Like 5

@Harriet Vane - That's wonderful that you were able to enjoy the paddling! 

@lynn - Big congratulations on the new addition!

I got out last night for a quick second walk to top off my step count.

Kicked off this morning with 3.4K of walking and about 25 minutes of floor-based strength and stretching. 

Food-wise, yesterday was another day of eating fairly healthfully but feeling like I was just eating way too much. I woke up hungry this morning, too, so we'll just have to see how it goes. I'm starting with oatmeal topped with banana and some glazed pecans (and coffee, of course). There are bunches of salad greens left over from last night's dinner already rinsed and prepped sitting in the fridge, which I plan to dig into for lunch. Dinner is tricky, because I have class from 5:00 - 7:00, but I'll try to plan for decent-sized snacks before and after in order to prevent the "I'm starving and will eat the first thing I can find to scarf quickly in large quantities" pitfall that will otherwise set in after class.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 44.2 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 198 Days
South Lake Trail ?: 0 of 13 miles

• Like 5

I finally got to my workout yesterday evening. My morning went sideways, long story short and I was busy all morning. Today is lower body strength. Also, got in a little walk around the house.

My sleep is still messed up. I think it might actually be getting worse. I know have a hard time falling asleep and am waking up in the night for hours. Sigh. I need to be asleep by 9 to get up from 4-4:30 but I can't go to sleep until well after 10 then am up for hours in the night it is not enough sleep and not good sleep at that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

@Soror I'm sorry about the sideways morning and the sleep issues. I've been dealing with sleep stuff for months, now, and it makes everything more difficult. I hope you can find a way to resolve your issues soon.

@wintermom - Glad you're feeling better!

@Ali in OR - Hope the trip goes well and that the time in the car isn't more stressful than absolutely necessary.

I had to abbreviate the exercise routine this morning, because I had an early doctor's appointment. I managed only 2.75K walking and about 10 minutes of strength and stretching. I'm pretending to myself that I will make up the other 10-15 minutes of exercise later in the day, but . . .

Last night was amusing. I had class and then a bunch of homework to do and so spent more time than usual sitting at my desk after work. I got out for a walk, but the dog and the weather (and my patience for attempting to get any momentum while the dog stopped at every possible opportunity to sniff the air and freak out about anything moving or making a sound) ran out before I reached my step goal. I told my husband to go ahead and put on an episode of Lost but that I was going to march in place until I logged the remainder of my steps. Turns out he finally read one of the articles I've been sending him about how even 7,000 steps per day makes a big difference in health and has decided that is an achievable goal. He, also, had not quite reached that number, however. So we spent the first 30 minutes or so of our TV time side-by-side behind the couch stomping in place and swinging our arms. 

I'm sure it would have been an amusing sight for anyone who happened to wander through the living room.

Continuing to do okay-ish with food. I'm consistently taking in a reasonable number of calories -- less than my Fitbit estimates I'm burning -- and eating a good number of fruits and veggies. So far, nothing is reflected on the scale, but I'm reminding myself it's early days yet.

Making my step goal will be challenging today, given that I cut my morning walk short, started work late and have to take time for a (virtual) doctor's appointment later. I had hoped to just work late this evening to make up the appointment times, but if I do that, I'll have no time for dinner or walking or anything before bed. We'll just have to see what I can squeeze in.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 50.7 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 199 Days

• Like 4

Weights and core this morning, cha-ching! I am heartened that my breathing is bouncing back decently well after having been so asthmatic for two weeks. That was another encouragement about our canoe trip on Saturday--allergies were fine and asthma was not an issue. I had been really scared I would be breathless until we get a hard frost in October sometime. Instead, my body seems to have uncharacteristically fought off whatever virus I had and so my allergies are settling down as well. So thankful!

• Like 4

@Jenny in Florida I love the visual of you and your dh marching in from of the TV! Well done! I should do more moving while watching TV. 

@Laura Corin Glad you could get a run in on the beach. Sounds lovely!

@Harriet Vane Great to hear your breathing and allergies are much improved! I'm in a similar boat - waiting until the first hard frost before my allergies improve. 

@Ali in OR Hope you have a safe drive! 

@Soror So sorry you're having trouble sleeping. Hope it improves really soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went for a short, intense bike ride to watch ds's outdoor basketball game. Also walked the dog once, and will give him one more walk today.

My weight if finally going down. I swapped in eggs instead of rolled oats for breakfast, and I don't feel the need to snack before lunch. If I eat enough protein at lunch, I can also last until supper. And if I have enough protein at dinner I can last until breakfast the next day. So basically, cut out snacking and increased animal protein. 😉

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, wintermom said:

I went for a short, intense bike ride to watch ds's outdoor basketball game. Also walked the dog once, and will give him one more walk today.

My weight if finally going down. I swapped in eggs instead of rolled oats for breakfast, and I don't feel the need to snack before lunch. If I eat enough protein at lunch, I can also last until supper. And if I have enough protein at dinner I can last until breakfast the next day. So basically, cut out snacking and increased animal protein. 😉

Thanks. LOL, less food and the weight is going down, hummm. I'm still eating too much, not enough sleep is driving my appetite up.

I took nyquill last night in desperation and was asleep before 7:30pm! Woke up at 11:30 and then was awake a few minutes but the next thing I knew it was 2:30, awake a bit and then my alarm was going off at 4:30. I'm groggy this am trying to wake up but here's hoping after a bit I'll be awake and feeling better with more sleep.

My workout yesterday was very hard. Not sure how much was lack of sleep or it was just hard.

Today is upper body.

Finally made myself some homemade bread- healthier than what I can get at the store (and cheaper to boot). I'll have that with eggs for breakfast.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

Started the day off right with a Zumba routine I found on YouTube. I've never done Zumba before. It feels like 80's-style aerobics with a bit of flair? 

I took a few Zumba classes several years ago and was really enjoying them . . . until I injured my knee. I've tried since then to do videos or classes and just be careful/adjust the movements, but I can't seem to participate without twisting my knees in potentially problematic or painful ways. It is definitely fun and, yes, reminiscent of good old-fashioned aerobics.

• Like 3

It took both an hour on the stationary bike and an evening walk with the dog, but I did make my step goal yesterday. 

This morning, I actually managed to wake up early and get out of bed in a reasonable amount of time. Took a good walk with the dog, 3.8K, and spent 25-ish minutes on floor-bases strength and stretching. 

My husband had passes for an event at WDW today, so we walked a couple of circuits in the World Showcase at Epcot, which was enough to finish off my steps for today. I have class this evening from 7:20 - 9:20, but I will likely--weather permitting--take the dog out for at least a short ramble at some point before bed.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 57.2 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 200 Days

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I took a few Zumba classes several years ago and was really enjoying them . . . until I injured my knee. I've tried since then to do videos or classes and just be careful/adjust the movements, but I can't seem to participate without twisting my knees in potentially problematic or painful ways. It is definitely fun and, yes, reminiscent of good old-fashioned aerobics.

Hmm, the knee twisting may be a concern. I have shifty joints and knee issues. I will keep trying and see how it goes. I used to love dancing and was kinda hoping to recapture that spirit, kwim? 

• Like 4

Woke up this morning feeling sore and tired and really down, but I did get out the door for a walk, 3.75K. I did about 20 minutes of standing strength and stretching and then a few minutes of jogging on the mini-trampoline. 

It's a busy day of meetings at work, out of which I need to carve time to take my dog to the vet. (She has developed a kind of scary cough.) I have a hair appointment this evening, though. So, weather permitting, I'll park at the other end of the street and get in some steps that way. 

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 61.8 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 201 Days

• Like 4

Weights and core this morning. I worked hard and am pleased to say I am officially back to normal. Sort of--I have some muscle soreness from being low-intensity while I was sick. I had a good, solid workout on Tuesday and an even better one today. Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be gorgeous so I will aim for a long walk.

• Like 4

I tried Zumba but couldn't get into it. I have a friend that loved it. I have done some dance workout classes I enjoyed but not enough to do regularly.

Yesterday was a rest day and all I did was a short walk outside.

Sleep continues to suck and I'm just not feeling very well. I'm starting to think my thyroid med change might be at the root of it. I was really hoping it would be a simple change and then I'd have improvement. I did feel better at first but have went slowly down hill and have less energy than before. I know partly it is due to sleep  but I think the sleep is more than changing my schedule at this point 3 weeks in. 

Today is full body strength

My workouts this week have not been great at all- I'm afraid I'm going to have to switch programs if my energy doesn't improve.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

@Soror - I'm sorry things are tough right now. I've been struggling to keep up this week, too. I had to back off on weights a couple of days, and I still managed to leave my left chest/shoulder/arm sore. It's hard to stay motivated when you just feel exhausted and lousy. Good for you for taking care of yourself and resting.

• Like 3

@Soror and @Jenny in Florida I'm sorry things are tough right now.

------------------

I managed a proper night's sleep last night.  At lunchtime I did a walk-run which felt great.  It was more of a HIIT workout than I've done before - sprints then walks up hills between, keeping my heart rate high.  It felt good.

• Like 3

Remember how I said that I planned to add some walking before and after my hair appointment, "weather permitting?" Well, weather did not permit. The rain did clear up after I got home and ate dinner, but it meant I did my walking in the neighborhood as usual, instead of getting the change of scene. 

I just could not force myself out of bed on time this morning and had to cut the walking/exercise routine a little short in order to be at my desk in time for a meeting. I managed just shy of 3.2K walking and just a bit over 20 minutes of lower-than-usual-weight exercise. 

Not sure what the remainder of the day holds, but I will at least fill out my step count in some way.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 68.2 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 202 Days

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

As I haven't provided walk photos for a bit, here are two bunches of flowers I cut from the garden.

20210912_064737.jpg

20210830_094000.jpg

Lovely flowers. the bottom picture looks like goldenrod and (the name escapes me) another wildflower we have here. Goldenrod isn't quite blooming yet here. 

I did my am workout yesterday. It was a bit better than the day before. And last night I slept over 7 hrs straight for the first time in ages. I woke up at 3:45 but went to bed right at 8 and didn't take too long to get to sleep. Hopefully, appetite is better today. I've been eating horribly this week with the low energy.

I plan/hope to get some things done in the yard/house today. No workout scheduled, planning for an active rest day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Soror said:

Lovely flowers. the bottom picture looks like goldenrod and (the name escapes me) another wildflower we have here. Goldenrod isn't quite blooming yet here. 

I did my am workout yesterday. It was a bit better than the day before. And last night I slept over 7 hrs straight for the first time in ages. I woke up at 3:45 but went to bed right at 8 and didn't take too long to get to sleep. Hopefully, appetite is better today. I've been eating horribly this week with the low energy.

I plan/hope to get some things done in the yard/house today. No workout scheduled, planning for an active rest day.

I think it is goldenrod.  It's a garden flower here.  It's been an amazingly warm and dry summer. My boss said that we had had 1/6th of our normal rainfall.  The burn is running almost dry. Meanwhile I have a tan.

Walk on the big beach today with the dog. I hope to do some weeding later.

• Like 4

We had a great Wednesday getting dd moved into her dorm in CA. I had never been to UC Davis. I loved it and it feels like a good, healthy place for dd. Hope she ends up loving it too. Got back Thursday around dinner time, got the groceries, prepped for school the next day. It's so hard to be gone--so much work on both sides. Hoping to get caught up a bit this weekend.

And now we're down to a household of 3--that will take some getting used to. We are trying to get back to some healthy eating habits. Youngest dd is an extremely picky eater, and while we don't completely cater to her limited food list, it does affect what I make for dinner. Looking forward to more soups, salads, and stir-fries. I'm also trying to limit the snack foods we have around now that she's gone. Need to clean out the fridge and pantry. I think I can more seriously try to tackle my weight now, and I can keep working toward my main September goal of just trying to find a good healthy rhythm to my days. Not there yet.

Oh, and I did my longest yoga in a long time this morning, Adriene's latest Detox and Reset, about 40 min (yes, that's long for me. I've been doing 20-30 minutes). Back is feeling better--trying to be careful with it still.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 4

Despite yet another bout of pacing back and forth behind the couch last night, I missed my step goal for yesterday by almost 2000 steps. I also ate a bunch of junk food while hanging around waiting for our bonus YA to be ready to be picked up from work. So, yesterday was definitely not a banner day for health. 

I got in a normal 3.2K-ish walk this morning and did about 10 minutes of strength and stretching to make up for the day I cut it short during the week.

Then I dragged my husband out to the farmers' market and some additional wandering in the downtown/shopping area, mostly because I decided to break down and go to the running shoe store. I have been buying pair after pair of Sketchers athletic shoes for walking, but I've been having a lot more pain in my feet and weakness/pain in my ankles lately, so I figured it might be time to see if better shoes help. I ended up with a pair of Brooks, which feel very comfy and theoretically offer more stability. We'll see how it goes.

Morning walk + shopping has me well over the half-way mark for steps for the day. I'm thinking that normal weekend house chores and a solid evening walk should get me in range.

If I can get the homework for both of my classes mostly done this afternoon/evening and the weather looks promising, I may try to do the first chunk of my next walking trail project tomorrow morning. It's a lot of ifs, though.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 71.4 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 203 Days

• Like 4

@Jenny in Florida I adore my Brooks shoes. My podiatrist recommended them, and they made a huuuuuge difference for me. 

@Laura Corin Thanks for the lovely pictures! 

@Soror I'm sorry it's so rough. I hope you find answers and regain energy soon.

I have a whole list of stuff I am supposed to be doing for PT. My goal today is to do the list. If I am amazing I may try another short Zumba video or I may take a walk.

Tomorrow I will likely do the PT list again. It's hot today and tomorrow, so I am not feeling as enthused for long walks just now.

• Like 5

I got in a long dog walk this morning and ds 15 came along, which was really nice. Then I went for a solo kayak paddle in the afternoon. It was sunny and beautiful, with lots of turtles sunning themselves on logs.  Lifting and carrying the kayak around is feeling easier, so my muscles must be getting stronger.  I'm not a fan of weight-lifting in a gym or home gym. I'd much rather do it naturally with practical activities. I like to carry the groceries by hand, laundry, etc. around the house. In the winter, wearing heavy boots while walking certainly helps build leg muscles. 😉 

Finished off the physical activity part of the day with a short dog walk. 

• Like 5

My sleep is still not great but better. I haven't had a night without waking since Friday but I am falling asleep easier at least. I am feeling much better energy wise even though sleep is still not optimal. I even exceeded my modest step goal for the first time in maybe 2 weeks. I didn't do any exercise but did lots around the house.

I decided to switch exercise programs. I will be going back to finish the one I had been doing (only 1 week to go). The new one I started was a little longer and a little harder and with my sleep being not so great it is not a good fit for now.

I will do the last week of this program and take a 1 week deload week and decide what to do from there.

I have the Spartan Race in 2 weeks. I am torn on whether I want to do it. It will be outside which doesn't concern me too much with COVID but is of some concern of course. Then there are travel expenses which stink. I wonder if I will be up to it, mostly in my grip strength, since aggravating my shoulder injury last fall I've done very little work on pull-ups or hanging. That was a strong point but I'm afraid now I will bomb those parts. I have been working cardio and endurance so that is a positive. I just don't know. Part of me thinks it would be good to push out of my comfort zone as I've withdrawn a bit much and part of me would rather just stay home.

today: upper body strength and a walk

• Like 4

30 min on the treadmill this morning. Day 1 of tracking weight and a more motivated attempt to lose a couple of pounds. Get back to "normal" BMI instead of overweight. Yes, just 2 pounds would do it, but it seems like 1 pound over is a very well-established set point for my weight.

• Like 5

Well, I did not get out to start the new trail project over the weekend. By Saturday night, it was clear I needed to use whatever energy I could scrape together to catch up on homework for my classes. So, I just took at longer-than-average walk around the neighborhood on Sunday morning. Maybe next weekend.

I rode the stationary bike both Saturday and Sunday and exceeded my step goal for both days. I also did about 10 minutes of strength and stretching on Sunday morning to make up for the day I had cut that short during the week. 

Started this morning walking a little over 3.3K followed by about 20 minutes of strength and stretching. 

Food has been . . . not great for the last couple of days. We discovered an Indian grocery nearby and went a little wild buying assorted convenience foods there on Saturday. And that was after we had gone to the farmers' market and visited my favorite gluten-free, vegan baker's booth. I'm still doing well eating a decent amount of fruits and veggies (and have discovered that the fancy flavored balsamic vinegar makes it pleasant to eat salads without adding oil) and expanding my food repertoire a bit, but I'm just eating too much. The last time I got on my scale (which I have avoided for the last few days), it told me I was down about 1.5 pounds, but I suspect the number would be higher again if I had checked this morning.

I'm trying to remind myself it's a work in progress. I just wish there was more observable progress. 

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 81.6 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 205 Days

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Just a lunchtime walk yesterday - I was at the office - then a half-hour intermediate yin yoga before bed.

I've been sleeping well the past few days, but last night was less good.  However, the weather is gorgeous and I'm going to try to run at lunchtime.

13 hours ago, wintermom said:

It was a lovely sunny and warm day. I took the dog for a short and a long walk. Otherwise just work and some driving around running errands.

The weather is lovely here too. Sorry to here about the rough night of sleep Laura, I hope tonight is better.

I took the girls to the park yesterday for an outdoors bday party and got some walking in there.

Today I did my lower body strength work.

Sleep is still meh and I'm currently a bundle of nerves as I'm applying for new jobs and am getting ready to start a new one (still doing old job but no telling when it will end). I hate new things. It is so nervewracking and terrifying.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

@Soror I sympathise.  I hate new things too, particularly new jobs.  I'm trying to work out how I can go part time at some point by just losing some of my duties but without moving to another department.  I'm not sure it's possible.

Yes, new things are hard. When is it you are hoping to move PT? I just work PT and think I'd like to keep it that way but who knows what the future holds.

• Like 1