Menu

Vaccine reaction

LinRTX

My 21 year old is almost 48 hours out from her second shot. She is still running a fever of about 100.5 and has a bad headache. Is this within the normal range? And how much longer can we expect this to last?

I would say still within normal but not typical. I'd expect the fever to be gone in another 12-24 hours but the headache may linger or go on & off for awhile longer. (Mine came & went for weeks. It was a stabbing pain at the base of my skull. Very unique.) 

Acetaminophen for the headache if she has no problems taking it.

Hope she feels better soon!

• Like 1

It’s normal and is a good sign she’s having a strong immune response.  Tylenol or Advil, possibly alternating every 3 hours, lots of water or a sports drink.  Maybe a bit of caffeine.

• Like 1

Normal. For vaccines in general you call if it is over a certain level - I want to say 102? Or maybe 101.2? 

But less than 101 is normal, and just take some advil and feel better. And hydrate! Hydration really helps. 

I did not have a fever, but did have a considerable headache the morning after shot #2.

Rational--or not--I did not want to resort to acetaminophen, but did find considerable relief from massive hydration and copious amounts of coffee.

I hope your daughter feels better soon. The vaccine is clearly working. That's a wonderful thing.

Bill