Menu

Just had a job interview...

ShepCarlin

Oy. So I've been thinking for a while it's time for me to jump back into the workforce. Oldest son is 17 and youngest is 14 so I'm not as hands on as I used to be. A part time position at our local library has opened up which I was hoping would be a good fit. I just got home from the interview and I'm just so overwhelmed. I gave them the hours I am available which apparently don't really work for them (some days I can only realistically commit to 2 hours, three days a week I can give them the whole day). Since it is a part time position, I'd made the assumption that it was more flexible that it appears. 

What has me reeling is they asked me the stereotypical interview questions that I haven't had to face. Ever. When I was working full time in the design industry (20 years ago!), those interviews were very much design centered. I've had two part time jobs since leaving the work force full time, but those were positions I found through friends so the interviewer already knew who they were talking to due to the personal connection. I just wasn't prepared for the questions..."give an example of how you have been part of a team and incorporated all the positive aspects of teamwork"...Uhhhhh. I gave examples of when the boys and I used to volunteer at a food pantry and our local zoo but I feel like I totally stumbled and stuttered my way through it.

I'm lucky...I don't "need" a job right now but I really wanted to get back out there even if it was just part time so that when our youngest flies the nest, I am already working on that next step. I just told my husband I'll have to go though at least 10 interviews like today's before I feel comfortable giving them what they want. I knew it would be hard re-entering the work force but I just didn't realize HOW hard. I talked quite a bit about being a homeschool mom since that is what I've been doing the last 8 years. I know that was probably unprofessional but that is who I am and I'm not ashamed of it nor regret the experiences it brought me. I just need to find a way to competently express that experience I guess. 

This is going to be more of a challenge than I anticipated. 

• Like 1

For what it's worth: I worked in our county library system for a little over three years. Because libraries (at least ours) are government agencies, they have to follow very stringent rules about employment practices. Hiring is a highly structured and choreographed process, involving asking the same pre-scripted questions of every applicant. And here, part-time just means that you work fewer than 30 hours per week. All positions have consistent schedules (no flexibility). 

Getting back into work after a time of homeschooling is a challenge, for sure. I wish you all the best in figuring out what works for you!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ShepCarlin said:

Oy. So I've been thinking for a while it's time for me to jump back into the workforce. Oldest son is 17 and youngest is 14 so I'm not as hands on as I used to be. A part time position at our local library has opened up which I was hoping would be a good fit. I just got home from the interview and I'm just so overwhelmed. I gave them the hours I am available which apparently don't really work for them (some days I can only realistically commit to 2 hours, three days a week I can give them the whole day). Since it is a part time position, I'd made the assumption that it was more flexible that it appears. 

What has me reeling is they asked me the stereotypical interview questions that I haven't had to face. Ever. When I was working full time in the design industry (20 years ago!), those interviews were very much design centered. I've had two part time jobs since leaving the work force full time, but those were positions I found through friends so the interviewer already knew who they were talking to due to the personal connection. I just wasn't prepared for the questions..."give an example of how you have been part of a team and incorporated all the positive aspects of teamwork"...Uhhhhh. I gave examples of when the boys and I used to volunteer at a food pantry and our local zoo but I feel like I totally stumbled and stuttered my way through it.

I'm lucky...I don't "need" a job right now but I really wanted to get back out there even if it was just part time so that when our youngest flies the nest, I am already working on that next step. I just told my husband I'll have to go though at least 10 interviews like today's before I feel comfortable giving them what they want. I knew it would be hard re-entering the work force but I just didn't realize HOW hard. I talked quite a bit about being a homeschool mom since that is what I've been doing the last 8 years. I know that was probably unprofessional but that is who I am and I'm not ashamed of it nor regret the experiences it brought me. I just need to find a way to competently express that experience I guess. 

This is going to be more of a challenge than I anticipated. 

As someone who serves on hiring panels, I look for past work in structured and team environments.  In your situation, I would suggest volunteering in positions where teamwork plus initiative are valued. Then you can talk about that in your next interview. 

• Like 3

If you just want to get out there but like the library you can probably volunteer at the library or places like that.  Museum docent, etc. Then the next time you apply you can sprinkle stories from that into it.  Most of the library workers I know either had masters degrees in library science or volunteered there first. 

• Like 1

I actually volunteered in the past at this library location. I was only there for about a year before I had to stop due to my son's schedule. There has been some staff turnover so the manager wasn't there when I was. I mentioned it in the interview and it is on my resume. I've had volunteer positions for the last decade or so. Experiences range from the library, zoo, Scouts and food pantry. Still currently volunteering with the Scouts. I mentioned all that but the actual questions just really threw me into a tizzy. I do think it is as Jenny in Florida says....since it is a government position, they do have stringent rules to follow. I guess I just thought the interview would be easier than it turned out to be.

• Like 1