Menu

Which dictionary and thesaurus?

Servant4Christ

We use Webster's New World Dictionary And Thesaurus combined volume. It is sufficient and easy to use for everyday use.

However, I need to add the disclaimer that we're not above searching thesaurus.com when needed, and ds11 has a HUGE unabridged dictionary in his room that he loves to peruse because it also gives the etymology.  He found it free in the giveaway shelf at the library. Anytime he wants to know more, that's where he heads.

• Like 1

Roget's International Thesaurus.  This is a true thesaurus in the sense that it contains an index so that for every word, you can find any nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs related to that word.  It only takes a few minutes to understand how it works, and then you will be rewarded that a reference is truly a joy to use. 

I bought my 4th edition when I was in high school, and I stick with the 4th edition.  According to Amazon reviewers, the most recent eighth edition has a new inferior indexing system (and a different author).  I would stick to the older editions, especially the 5th edition or earlier with Robert Chapman as  the author.  

I recommend that you do not purchase a dictionary of synonyms and antonyms as it is a less powerful tool than a true thesaurus.  Plus, they are freely available online.  Likewise, I did invest in a paper dictionary as I find my phone apps and websites (as well as the online etymology dictionary to be sufficient.  

• Like 2

My DS is in 3rd & his “little kid” version - Usborne Illustrated Dictionary & Thesaurus - is starting to show signs of being outgrown.

It’s been joined on the shelf by Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, Roget’s Thesaurus, & the Scholastic Rhyming Dictionary (great for poetics!)

They’ll likely both remain on the shelf for a couple of years, as each have their own strengths, but I’d be surprised if by middle school we haven’t abandoned the Usborne. 

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 10:01 AM, Servant4Christ said:

I went ahead and bought the American Heritage Student Dictionary and matching Thesaurus. In theory, this will work for all three children until they are in high school.

These were a bust. Pretty or not, he just won't use them willingly and I know it. So I returned them both and ordered the combined American Heritage Dictionary & Thesaurus which I really think will be all we need from here on out. Right now, he's enjoying looking up every word he can on his new mp3 player. If it's not in there, this book will be the next step.

On 9/16/2021 at 3:22 PM, Servant4Christ said:

These were a bust. Pretty or not, he just won't use them willingly and I know it. So I returned them both and ordered the combined American Heritage Dictionary & Thesaurus which I really think will be all we need from here on out. Right now, he's enjoying looking up every word he can on his new mp3 player. If it's not in there, this book will be the next step.

Ugh. I've never seen a book with such tiny print! That won't work at all. Back it goes. I think we're just going to have to suck it up and make a trip to B&N to see some IRL before purchasing again. This should NOT be so difficult.

On 9/18/2021 at 11:15 AM, Gil said:

The physical size/tiny print is a negative, but each of The Boys have a MW Every Day Reference set. I love the Vocabulary Builder in that set. We used it extensively.

I'm pretty sure I had that exact set (previous edition) when I was in middle and high school back when dinosaurs roamed. Lol. They are why I quit using most references altogether. I have poor eye sight and cannot read tiny print even with my reading glasses pulled down my nose. Terrible headaches.