Menu

September Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

20 hours ago, Soror said:

When I get a goal I can become a bit um obsessed. It is good and bad. Throw into that the uncertainty with my job and then the unplanned car purchase it has had me more stressed out than I should be with where we are at financially. 

This is me too... Glad that your hubby has been able to help you balance.

------------------------

I've caught up with budget entries to today for this month. I am hoping DH and I can go through things together tomorrow night after supper. I've found a few things that we were subscribed to that I didn't realize, so I canceled those subscriptions as I went.

I have two pending job applications, but I'm not going to hold my breath about either. I am starting a volunteer position with a highly respected organization today. I hope that it'll give me a source of references in the future when I apply for a future job. Right now, my reference section is basically blank.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

------------------------

I've caught up with budget entries to today for this month. I am hoping DH and I can go through things together tomorrow night after supper. I've found a few things that we were subscribed to that I didn't realize, so I canceled those subscriptions as I went.

I have two pending job applications, but I'm not going to hold my breath about either. I am starting a volunteer position with a highly respected organization today. I hope that it'll give me a source of references in the future when I apply for a future job. Right now, my reference section is basically blank.

Thank you. Good luck on your applications. The volunteer job is a great idea.

Dh and I discussed goals etc. 

He wants to up dining out and entertainment. I want to up allowances, things for the home, and groceries. Any else excess will go to sinking funds until they are filled and then the car fund. Any extra funds- like selling something, bonuses, etc 10% will go to the entertainment category for family activities- then sinking funds and car fund.

The rumors are getting stronger and stronger that VIPKID will be done at the end of Sep. I have no faith we will get told ahead of time considering how this has all went down. I'm so conflicted. I'm exhausted with this schedule and cannot keep it up long term but the more money I make with them the less hours I have to work another job later making less money.

-Seen another job that I think I will apply for- not likely to get it but why not

-got info back on very good esl job need to send application this weekend- they are paying even more than VIPKID but they are new- so overwhelmed with applicants- official word is it will take a couple of months to hear back at this point- and of course will they make it? I have to finish my TESOL for the application so I plan to do that this weekend. Not sure if I need to do a video yet. 

-dh will be listing some more big ticket items this weekend - which would make a good dent in the sinking funds

-guy is coming to buy the car today- crossing the fingers!!!

• Like 4

I'm going to cancel my WW membership. I lost 30 lbs on it a few years back, when there was a location across the street from my house. Then I got changed to "lifetime," which meant I could go and not pay. Then the location closed, after which COVID hit and everyone got free fees for a while.

Well, WW hasn't reopened in my community. I've been having one-on-one coaching calls, which has been quite helpful, but I can't justify the $55/month fee indefinitely and there is no such thing as lifetime online.

What easy-to-use online food tracking have you used? I need something that doesn't treat everything as calories because calories make me think weirdly about food.

(I'll cross post this to Well-trained bodies.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

------------------------

Good luck on your job applications.  The volunteer job is a wonderful idea.  Not sure what you are looking for, but it is supposed to be a great time to get a job right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Thank you. Good luck on your applications. The volunteer job is a great idea.

Dh and I discussed goals etc. 

He wants to up dining out and entertainment. I want to up allowances, things for the home, and groceries. Any else excess will go to sinking funds until they are filled and then the car fund. Any extra funds- like selling something, bonuses, etc 10% will go to the entertainment category for family activities- then sinking funds and car fund.

The rumors are getting stronger and stronger that VIPKID will be done at the end of Sep. I have no faith we will get told ahead of time considering how this has all went down. I'm so conflicted. I'm exhausted with this schedule and cannot keep it up long term but the more money I make with them the less hours I have to work another job later making less money.

-Seen another job that I think I will apply for- not likely to get it but why not

-got info back on very good esl job need to send application this weekend- they are paying even more than VIPKID but they are new- so overwhelmed with applicants- official word is it will take a couple of months to hear back at this point- and of course will they make it? I have to finish my TESOL for the application so I plan to do that this weekend. Not sure if I need to do a video yet. 

-dh will be listing some more big ticket items this weekend - which would make a good dent in the sinking funds

-guy is coming to buy the car today- crossing the fingers!!!

UGh about Vipkid.  I wish they would let you know.  I am so glad you were so proactive in finding other things. Good luck on the the new job.  

Yay for listing some big ticket items.  I hope the car gets sold. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

I'm going to cancel my WW membership. I lost 30 lbs on it a few years back, when there was a location across the street from my house. Then I got changed to "lifetime," which meant I could go and not pay. Then the location closed, after which COVID hit and everyone got free fees for a while.

Well, WW hasn't reopened in my community. I've been having one-on-one coaching calls, which has been quite helpful, but I can't justify the $55/month fee indefinitely and there is no such thing as lifetime online.

What easy-to-use online food tracking have you used? I need something that doesn't treat everything as calories because calories make me think weirdly about food.

(I'll cross post this to Well-trained bodies.)

I'm not sure. The only ones I've used have either tracked calories, macros, or both. Are you just looking for something as a food diary?

The car did sell!!!

I finished my training. Now I just need to do another video. Of course this job wants a different type of video than the one I did the other day and the one from last week.... 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Soror said:

I'm not sure. The only ones I've used have either tracked calories, macros, or both. Are you just looking for something as a food diary?

The car did sell!!!

I finished my training. Now I just need to do another video. Of course this job wants a different type of video than the one I did the other day and the one from last week.... 

So glad the car sold!

I cancelled all my sales for a while - I'm burnt out with the constant trips to the post office, etc. I figure I'll pick it back up in a couple weeks for Christmas.

Nothing much happening here. Just chugging along. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

So glad the car sold!

I cancelled all my sales for a while - I'm burnt out with the constant trips to the post office, etc. I figure I'll pick it back up in a couple weeks for Christmas.

Keep on chugging.  

You were selling so much!  Congrats on that.  Enjoy taking a break from it and relax a little bit.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, historically accurate said:

So glad the car sold!

I hear you. I really don't enjoy selling either. I didn't get anything new listed but we relisted one item and I modified prices. 

• Like 2

Worked on some Christmas shopping this weekend. I saved points on my credit cards for my holiday shopping. I actually think I'm going to have extra this year. I'm going through their gift card options and ordered some for "free" to get the Christmas ball rolling. 

We are giving the grandmas gift cards in $10 increments to different restaurants, so they have multiple free or almost free meals on us. Yesterday, Groupon had a deal for a $10 Starbucks card for $5. I picked one up for my MIL who was just commenting how much she enjoyed stopping for Starbucks while driving to visit her sister. Just ordered Cracker Barrel for both grandmas, and Red Lobster for my mom as well. A couple more and they're done.

Need to prod DH on what he agrees to for the kids' presents. We discussed Christmas presents this weekend, but he will put it off until the last minute if I let him. I'd like to have them here by the end of October, so I don't worry about shipping delays.

In gift card shopping, I noticed that Discover gives bonuses (for example: redeem $10 in points, get a $15 card), and they have hotels.com. I'll have to look at that for going to and from Alabama - may be a better deal than we are getting with Swagbucks rebates on hotels.com currently.

I said that I was done selling, but the mattress has gone through like 6 flaky people and it's still in my bedroom. Today, one of those flaky people is supposed to come pick it up - she didn't show last week but sent me a message yesterday asking if I still had it. We'll see if she comes and gets it this afternoon. 

I found an inexpensive Trunk or Treat display that I can do for the library, so I'll start getting that ready. I'll get paid about $40 for doing it, so I wanted to do it as cheaply as possible in order to keep that $40. It should cost less than $5 since the library provides the candy, maybe even less if I dig around in the garage some.

• Like 5

Young dog went to the vet.

Met my spend on my CSP. Paid that bill.

Getting some free life insurance from my credit union.

Pest guy is coming to spray for wasps today. 

Did some returns.

Going to do some Chrismtas shopping today.  I have been the last month or 2 and have a stash started already.  I want to do a trip as we normally do (before Covid).  We always do international trips, and I don't know how open that is.   At least we will all be vaccinated. 

Have someone inspecting the roof to see if there is damage from all the hail storms we have had. 

The ballet wrapped last week.   The kids were sad and wished there were more shows.  Because of Covid it turned out a lot different than it was supposed to be.   We ate out 0 times during the shows even though every other family did the whole time.  It would have cost at least $60 each day as the closest things to eat were Culvers. 

Need to pay for tuition for all kids for ballet next month.  Then I will use the school funds for it.  

Looking at new cars.  Dh is going to have to go back into the office in Nov.  Sigh.  Not happy about that at all.   We will be spending a ton on gas again.  Sigh.  

I have an idea for a business that I want to start.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3

Well we were skating along nicely, putting a few hundred aside for a small upgrade in the home. The water softener went out and is not salvageable. My husband is a jack of all trades and has spent time trying, but no way to do it. So I'm considering biting the bullet and doing both new softener and the upgrade at once instead of cash flowing one and then the other. Meh.

Going back to check prior replies now.

• Like 3

On 8/30/2021 at 5:16 PM, historically accurate said:

I'm starting to think about the holidays - I have my brother's and a couple of stocking stuffers for one kid. I picked up an Uber gift card for oldest since that and the bus are her options for getting around Huntsville. I've got some ideas for others, just have to follow through. I should probably do some of it soon in case Covid gets bad.

September spending/goals:

Should hit about 10% toward our big ol' loan. We can't make early payments until we can pay it off, so we're setting aside $ in a savings account. 

It's a 5 paycheck month for DH - sweet.

DH's life insurance is due in Sept, and we have the amount set aside already! Go, us!

We should pay off Oldest's EKG from this summer this month.

Unfortunately, Youngest's MRI came in two bills - part was covered as a copay. We got socked with the deductible for it later. Ick. Now, we'll have to figure out how to pay that. The hospital will most likely lower the total cost though, so we'll start with that. 

We'll start focusing on a card we balance transferred a couple of months ago to get it paid off in the 0% interest timeframe. 

Man I forgot those existed for some people. LoL I dislike our twice monthly (not every other week) pay schedules.

On 8/31/2021 at 10:11 AM, Soror said:

Total retirement goal. Considering the rate things double we should be on track for early retirement, fingers crossed.

It does really stink. I was just talking to Mom she said usually places start hiring seasonally around Sep so I'll be keeping my eyes open, might need it sooner than I thought. Might do a seasonal job then cut back to very PT until summer and look to go FT. 

I have found this to be true. Especially this year, with everyone looking.

On 9/9/2021 at 10:41 PM, mommyoffive said:

Let's see 

Sold something

Signed up one kid for mountain bike team

Signed up another kid for ballet- need to make the call on the schedule for the other ones.

Went to walmart and got some things.  Clothes for ds who just is now growing nonstop.  He is now out of size 14 pants and onto 16 even though he is 13.  ARGH I thought they would last until his birthday at least.  He is about 50% for height and lower percentile for weight.  Got him 3 pairs of shorts for next year and some size 16 jeans. 

Went to the Dollar tree and got some odds and ends.  But a lot of crafts and decorations for Fall and Halloween. 

Kids growth rates at this age range shocks me. My older one is 10 and his cousin is 12. Mine is just getting into 12s and cousin is in 18s/mens small and they are comparable body types. Hormones, man. 

2 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Worked on some Christmas shopping this weekend. I saved points on my credit cards for my holiday shopping. I actually think I'm going to have extra this year. I'm going through their gift card options and ordered some for "free" to get the Christmas ball rolling. 

We are giving the grandmas gift cards in $10 increments to different restaurants, so they have multiple free or almost free meals on us. Yesterday, Groupon had a deal for a $10 Starbucks card for $5. I picked one up for my MIL who was just commenting how much she enjoyed stopping for Starbucks while driving to visit her sister. Just ordered Cracker Barrel for both grandmas, and Red Lobster for my mom as well. A couple more and they're done.

Need to prod DH on what he agrees to for the kids' presents. We discussed Christmas presents this weekend, but he will put it off until the last minute if I let him. I'd like to have them here by the end of October, so I don't worry about shipping delays.

In gift card shopping, I noticed that Discover gives bonuses (for example: redeem $10 in points, get a $15 card), and they have hotels.com. I'll have to look at that for going to and from Alabama - may be a better deal than we are getting with Swagbucks rebates on hotels.com currently.

I said that I was done selling, but the mattress has gone through like 6 flaky people and it's still in my bedroom. Today, one of those flaky people is supposed to come pick it up - she didn't show last week but sent me a message yesterday asking if I still had it. We'll see if she comes and gets it this afternoon. 

I found an inexpensive Trunk or Treat display that I can do for the library, so I'll start getting that ready. I'll get paid about $40 for doing it, so I wanted to do it as cheaply as possible in order to keep that $40. It should cost less than $5 since the library provides the candy, maybe even less if I dig around in the garage some.

The grandmother gift cards are genius. Mine has a toddler's appetite now, and only drinks water and coffee. $10-15 would feed her just about anywhere. I could get some for her 4 fave places.

Edited by Brittany1116
  • Like 4

September is almost over!  It didn't go quite as I was expecting but well enough.  I am really struggling to get back to my super frugal ways.  I actually really like being frugal and never felt restricted but for whatever reason this year has not been very frugal.  We have certainly saved and invested a ton of money.  But when looking at our purchases they just aren't the way I want to spend.  I've leaned too heavily on spending for convenience instead of focusing on getting the most value for our money.  

October is going to be a focus back to frugal tendencies.  To start that off I'm going back to the budget spreadsheet.  I'll devote the last 3 months of the year to following a strict budget while also evaluating how I really want our money to be spent. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

I have a few small things, snacks and freebies put away for my household for holiday gifts but am otherwise behind in every way for planning for gifts. 😣

It is still really early.   Would doing some extra things to add to the gift budget help?  

Some people on here have used

Crowdtap

20/20

Credit card bonuses

There are a lot of survey companies out there to use and get some extra $ or giftcards.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

It is still really early.   Would doing some extra things to add to the gift budget help?  

Some people on here have used

Crowdtap

20/20

Credit card bonuses

There are a lot of survey companies out there to use and get some extra $ or giftcards.

Well that would help but I think my biggest thing is just time getting away from me. I blinked and it's basically October. I usually atleast have a few ideas and a little money put aside by now. What is crowdtap? I need to Google that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brittany1116 said:

Well that would help but I think my biggest thing is just time getting away from me. I blinked and it's basically October. I usually atleast have a few ideas and a little money put aside by now. What is crowdtap? I need to Google that.

I'm right there with you. Usually by now I know everyone's bigs gifts and their wishlists to hand off to in laws. But I'm struggling this year. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

The mattress is gone! It was somebody completely new. The lady from last week didn't show, and I got a message and it was picked up within 30 minutes with cash in hand from a young couple whose brother is moving in with them. 

Yay.  Making money off stuff taking up room in your house is awesome.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I'll have to tell dd. If I am in town I'll have to take the girls by.

8 hours ago, historically accurate said:

The mattress is gone! It was somebody completely new. The lady from last week didn't show, and I got a message and it was picked up within 30 minutes with cash in hand from a young couple whose brother is moving in with them. 

Ya, finally!

I've not done any Christmas shopping. But I have been saving every month. I'll start around Black Friday when the sales start.

The girls and I took dh to college and had a big day. We shared ice cream went through Chick Fil A drive through. Went to Goodwill, the park, and bowling (in the middle of the day places were pretty dead and we were masked up). They had a blast and dh was pleased. He said that is exactly the kinds of things he means when he says he wants to loosen the budget up. We'll have to do it again on a Wednesday so we can catch the Nature Center open (they have axolotls).

Today is shopping day so I need to make my menu and list.

And I start my new Korean job today. I have about an hour a day of classes with them. I'm open 2 hours but it is 10p-12am their time- so not as likely to book. That is fine with me as i'm teaching with VIPKID before and the day will be long enough. When VIPKID goes kaput I'll move up my teaching time to get more classes.

• Like 4

This morning I have surprise $. I don't know what it is. It says it is a transfer from my paypal account, but it's not showing in my paypal transactions, and it's a weird amount. I didn't authorize a transfer and I haven't sold anything other than one set of books through paypal recently (and it's a totally different amount - 30 some odd dollars more). I guess I'm going to leave it in the bank account for a while to see if they suck it back in. I'm clueless. 

How'd I get a quote box?? No idea. 

• Like 3

We went over our September spending last night. We tracked everything! I was able to find a few expenses to cut and a few subscriptions that I wasn't aware of to nix.

I also got an interview for one of the jobs I applied for last week. There are so many things that might not work out that I won't hold my breath, though. I am looking at other part time, flexible jobs, too. I have been trying to figure out what I exactly want to earn money for, expense-wise. We had to go into debt to replace our AC last summer (it died after we had emptied our savings redoing our first floor after a flood). I'd like to pay off the AC loan and DS9's braces, and then save enough that another AC/car breakdown wouldn't require debt.

Emily

• Like 5

1 minute ago, EmilyGF said:

We went over our September spending last night. We tracked everything! I was able to find a few expenses to cut and a few subscriptions that I wasn't aware of to nix.

I also got an interview for one of the jobs I applied for last week. There are so many things that might not work out that I won't hold my breath, though. I am looking at other part time, flexible jobs, too. I have been trying to figure out what I exactly want to earn money for, expense-wise. We had to go into debt to replace our AC last summer (it died after we had emptied our savings redoing our first floor after a flood). I'd like to pay off the AC loan and DS9's braces, and then save enough that another AC/car breakdown wouldn't require debt.

Emily

Sending some good luck for the interview.  Awesome job cutting some expenses and coming up with a goal.

• Like 2

My parents' accepted an offer on their house!! Hoping for smooth sailing throughout the rest of the process because once that transaction is done we'll be collecting $600/month in rent from them. That money will go straight into investments or savings depending on the needs for that month.   

• Like 6

On 8/30/2021 at 4:01 PM, Soror said:

September Goals:

-35% car fund

Really hoping our other sinking funds can just sit there and we can have a minute without unplanned house or vehicle expenses. 

Planning to install bathroom cabinets downstairs, will need to buy a few things but have some funds set aside. Need to be in the lookout to find a cheap vanity top. Need ac part $200ish, also budgeted for. 

Ds should hit his deductible this month, ya! Waiting on a med bill to come in just got EOB. Shouldn't have any more that big for a good while(barring medical crap coming up).

Need to powwow with dh to make sure I've not missed any upcoming expenses.

Kids have school pictures and DD has SC dues and homecoming clothes. Ds hasn't mentioned homecoming, need to ask him.

45% on car fund (41% of previous goal-changed after buying other car)

Ds did hit his deductible.

Sinking funds did not just sit there since we ended up buying a car (as not to sink anything more into repair expenses that we wouldn't get back).

But we sold somethings, got Covid money, sold the other car, and had some extra money from dh's paychecks- we've replaced about 50% of what we spent on the car- car repair fund is back to -100%; home fund- 75% and health fund- 0%

( I know would be logical to have that evenly distributed but I like to fill 1 at a time)

Will be ordering the AC part next week.

• Like 4

Got groceries-- 3c under goal- woot!

11 hours ago, hjffkj said:

our dryer isn't heating up 😓

13 hours ago, hjffkj said:

My parents' accepted an offer on their house!! Hoping for smooth sailing throughout the rest of the process because once that transaction is done we'll be collecting $600/month in rent from them. That money will go straight into investments or savings depending on the needs for that month.   

Good news and bad news for you, hopefully the dryer is an easy fix.

23 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Emily

Good luck on the interview. Tracking things really does help open your eyes (just like with tracking food). Great plan for the extra money.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 4:16 PM, historically accurate said:

I'm starting to think about the holidays - I have my brother's and a couple of stocking stuffers for one kid. I picked up an Uber gift card for oldest since that and the bus are her options for getting around Huntsville. I've got some ideas for others, just have to follow through. I should probably do some of it soon in case Covid gets bad.

September spending/goals:

Should hit about 10% toward our big ol' loan. We can't make early payments until we can pay it off, so we're setting aside $ in a savings account. 

It's a 5 paycheck month for DH - sweet.

DH's life insurance is due in Sept, and we have the amount set aside already! Go, us!

We should pay off Oldest's EKG from this summer this month.

Unfortunately, Youngest's MRI came in two bills - part was covered as a copay. We got socked with the deductible for it later. Ick. Now, we'll have to figure out how to pay that. The hospital will most likely lower the total cost though, so we'll start with that. 

We'll start focusing on a card we balance transferred a couple of months ago to get it paid off in the 0% interest timeframe. 

Hit 8.2% on big loan fund. Close to original goal.

Life insurance paid on time, although they didn't apply it on time, so they called because it was "late". Grrr.

EKG paid as of this week. Waiting on calculation of MRI cost from the hospital still - have what I'm assuming is about 1/4-1/3 of the cost. 

Paid over $400 on 0% card due to child tax credit and debt snowball (and 5 paycheck month). 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Ok so reading this, I just realized we have had a test store somewhat nearby. I went in last fall or winter when I couldn't find cat food anywhere. They had a mix of signs everywhere and the store was trash. Every FD I have been to has been trash, actually. So this does not give me hopeful feelings. 🤷‍♀️

40 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

Ok so reading this, I just realized we have had a test store somewhat nearby. I went in last fall or winter when I couldn't find cat food anywhere. They had a mix of signs everywhere and the store was trash. Every FD I have been to has been trash, actually. So this does not give me hopeful feelings. 🤷‍♀️

yeah, i have no interest in a dollar tree that isn't everything is a dollar.

• Like 2