Jump to content

Menu

September Frugalistas 2021


mommyoffive
 Share

Recommended Posts

For a limited time, you can get a free 8×10 Photo Print at CVS with free same day in-store pickup.

Just upload your pictures to create your collage on the CVS photo site, go to checkout, use coupon code SEPT21, and choose same day in-store pickup. Your total should be $0.00

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 12:04 PM, hjffkj said:

I spent some of my pet sitting money on taking dh out on a date.  We went to our favorite restaurant, which  we hadn't been to in well over a year.  Then we went to 2nd & Charles to browse used books, didn't get anything though.  We also had to go to Kohl's because dh broke is black dress shoes two week ago so needed to replace them.  I'm trying hard being ok spending money on date nights regularly.  With our 12 year old being able to watch the rest of the kids safely we're trying to be more intentional with our dates.  We don't always spend money, sometimes it is just a walk.  But I have realized we both get a lot more out of it if it is away from the house instead of waiting for the kids to go to sleep and then spending time together, which we do a lot of that too. So, I think it is time to put maybe biweekly dates into our budget instead of just using the money from our misc category

It is very sweet when the older ones get old enough for babysitting. It gives you a lot more opportunity.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

-Bought some toiletries (exciting things like soap and toothpaste)

-$3.78 on caulk for door

- working on grocery list and menu

New goal-$200 things sold for this month (will make $250 total including table already sold since mom didn't want the money). That should get me to 40% funded for the car- with the rate classes are currently booking. I have about $150 I think I can get fairly easily and a couple of ideas that should bring another $50 but need to price compare to determine the best price.

ETA: dd1and dd2 have their last black belt testing next month, last night she told me it was more than I expected. $20-$40 each more, annoying. Hopefully she gets back to me soon so I can plan correctly next month.

Ds now has a girl he is going out with- maybe going to HOCO. Who knows. I asked him he thought it was months away. I told him 1.5 weeks and he needs to figure it out. Poor girl is probably expecting him to ask her and he hasn't even considered it because he doesn't pay attention to dates. Sigh. Boys.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Soror said:

It is very sweet when the older ones get old enough for babysitting. It gives you a lot more opportunity.

Yes,  and we've been making sure he get compensated for it.  We don't give him money because his siblings who could also watch the youngest ones but we do buy the older 3 who help with the younger 3 video games randomly when usually those are things they have to spend their own money on or wait for christmas or birthday

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

-$20 on toner for printer- just printed like a 1000 pages for school stuff so no surprise, last bought in January I think

-sodas for dh for work on sale-$20 (I stock up when they have a sale)

-yearbooks $52 each

-DD1 has a field trip next week. I foresee so many school expenses this year.

There was a glitch where I could start the process of teaching adults in China (very limited now). I was so excited. Hopefully, that does well and gets opened more. I don't expect it to replace all I've been teaching (unless parents buy the classes and have the kids do it- could be). I'd enjoy teaching adults and would love if I could keep this up, even if not as much as before.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Yes,  and we've been making sure he get compensated for it.  We don't give him money because his siblings who could also watch the youngest ones but we do buy the older 3 who help with the younger 3 video games randomly when usually those are things they have to spend their own money on or wait for christmas or birthday

Jealous of that.  I have 2 teens, but leaving all my kids together at home wouldn't work well for us.  My oldest could watch the younger 3 mostly.  I would want her to take a babysitting and cpr class.  But one of my other kids is one that doesn't get along well with one the youngers.  I think it would end like it did when my brother and I were left alone everyday after school.  Fights and blood.  I can leave certain combinations of kids together , but not all based on their personalities. 

Sigh.  

I was talking to a grandma who was talking about one of her grandchildren going off to college this year and how it affected the whole household and even her not living in the house.  This child wasn't bad, but just one that takes a lot of energy and focus.   How the energy in the house just dipped so much just taking one person out of it.  It really hit home.  I have one of those kids, and a second one taking some traits of the older one.  It is so exhausting.  Things are so peaceful when the one or 2 kids are out of the house.  

 

Ok, back to spending.  Picked up the new mattresses, I hope we can get the new bedroom put together this weekend but I doubt it.  We are jammed this weekend.

Bought a new faucet for the bathroom, but it doesn't fit our old (16 years) hardware.  So now it will be back to the store to buy more things to totally replace everything in the sink.  Sigh.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Jealous of that.  I have 2 teens, but leaving all my kids together at home wouldn't work well for us.  My oldest could watch the younger 3 mostly.  I would want her to take a babysitting and cpr class.  But one of my other kids is one that doesn't get along well with one the youngers.  I think it would end like it did when my brother and I were left alone everyday after school.  Fights and blood.  I can leave certain combinations of kids together , but not all based on their personalities. 

Sigh.  

I was talking to a grandma who was talking about one of her grandchildren going off to college this year and how it affected the whole household and even her not living in the house.  This child wasn't bad, but just one that takes a lot of energy and focus.   How the energy in the house just dipped so much just taking one person out of it.  It really hit home.  I have one of those kids, and a second one taking some traits of the older one.  It is so exhausting.  Things are so peaceful when the one or 2 kids are out of the house.  

 

Ok, back to spending.  Picked up the new mattresses, I hope we can get the new bedroom put together this weekend but I doubt it.  We are jammed this weekend.

Bought a new faucet for the bathroom, but it doesn't fit our old (16 years) hardware.  So now it will be back to the store to buy more things to totally replace everything in the sink.  Sigh.

 

It really does change the dynamic. Often it is just the youngest 2 at home now as the older 2 are so busy. It feels so different. 

______________

Ds says he is not going to homecoming. His girl (not sure what we are calling her) doesn't want to go as she has to play in band beforehand. That works for me! Still have to get dd1 some new shoes- then I think she is good (she said that was it last night).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Jealous of that.  I have 2 teens, but leaving all my kids together at home wouldn't work well for us.  My oldest could watch the younger 3 mostly.  I would want her to take a babysitting and cpr class.  But one of my other kids is one that doesn't get along well with one the youngers.  I think it would end like it did when my brother and I were left alone everyday after school.  Fights and blood.  I can leave certain combinations of kids together , but not all based on their personalities. 

Sigh.  

I was talking to a grandma who was talking about one of her grandchildren going off to college this year and how it affected the whole household and even her not living in the house.  This child wasn't bad, but just one that takes a lot of energy and focus.   How the energy in the house just dipped so much just taking one person out of it.  It really hit home.  I have one of those kids, and a second one taking some traits of the older one.  It is so exhausting.  Things are so peaceful when the one or 2 kids are out of the house.  

 

Ok, back to spending.  Picked up the new mattresses, I hope we can get the new bedroom put together this weekend but I doubt it.  We are jammed this weekend.

Bought a new faucet for the bathroom, but it doesn't fit our old (16 years) hardware.  So now it will be back to the store to buy more things to totally replace everything in the sink.  Sigh.

 

Oh I know all too well how that can go from when I was growing up.  Two of my older siblings used to have literal fist fights.  When the older of the two went off to college the other decided I was going to be his new fighting sibling.  I was having none of that and immediately put him in his place.  So, no regular fighting for me.

My kids do have their moments but overall they're all at the same level of energy, which certainly isn't mellow.  Also, they know if any fighting happens when I'm not home they lose a lot of privileges,  which none of them want. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My best friend bought my the bonsai tree lego set as a thank you for watching her girls while she was giving birth to her youngest.  So,  I'm just going to us it as my entertainment for the rest of sept after I finish the roller coaster set I'm working on.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So...

dd found shoes- $44- 4x the cost of her dress- but will be able to wear with multiple outfits

And-- there are some issues with ds' car, it is running but dh say it needs some more things done. When we bought it I was really wondering if we should spend more for a nicer car but ended up going with a cheaper and older model as he really, really liked it (weird I know). I told dh I don't want to put any more into it. I'd rather get what we can out of it and buy something newer. Ds was considering buying something at the end of next summer and has some money saved now. I'd rather front him the rest of the money now and buy something nicer. So, I'm car shopping for ds. Found a maybe for a good price- waiting to hear back from the guy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's see 

Sold something

Signed up one kid for mountain bike team

Signed up another kid for ballet- need to make the call on the schedule for the other ones.

Went to walmart and got some things.  Clothes for ds who just is now growing nonstop.  He is now out of size 14 pants and onto 16 even though he is 13.  ARGH I thought they would last until his birthday at least.  He is about 50% for height and lower percentile for weight.  Got him 3 pairs of shorts for next year and some size 16 jeans. 

Went to the Dollar tree and got some odds and ends.  But a lot of crafts and decorations for Fall and Halloween. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So- guy might be selling to a dealership. We'll hear this morning. He thinks they won't offer him full price and we hope so as we are willing to pay that as it is still a good deal and it is a Civic which is one of our favorite cars. If we get it I will be changing up my plans and I'll be delaying when I buy a car for me. Fingers crossed, although I don't like the change of plans, this could end up working well in the long run. 

MUST get shopping list done. Finally finished menu.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a $50 Walmart card for having been vaccinated from work. Youngest needs a few clothing items, so we'll start at Walmart. 

I sat in on the Finance Committee meeting at work this week, so an extra 1 1/2 hours on my check. DH worked til 5 on Friday (everyone else went home at 3 for the long weekend), so they gave him time and a half for those last two hours. 

Medical bills are still dogging us, but we're staying above water this year so far. So I'm super excited about that.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DH and I agreed to meet weekly to go over our budget. I lost 30 lbs on Weight Watchers (now WW) three years back and I realized that the weekly meetings were key. We've always only gone over budgets monthly and never had much success. I am hopeful that more frequent meetings will help me become a better Dollar Watcher!

I am looking into a new cell phone carrier now that we got DD14 a phone and she is talking like a teenager. It makes me happy that she and her closest friend are talking a lot, but we currently pay per minute. That doesn't make sense anymore!

I've entered every transaction so far this month into our spreadsheet.

Emily

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ds had one of the professionals at ballet give him a bunch of brand new still the bag men's dance attire.  Yeah.

I need to buy a bunch of things for their show that is coming up.  Got the list, but I am sure we don't have everything they need.  Sigh.

 

 

Anyone into puzzles? 

Jigsaw Puzzles as low as $2.75 at Walmart! | Money Saving Mom®

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went to the dentist today because of an trouble tooth and what I figured would happen is exactly what happened.  After xrays the dentist spent a whopping ten seconds talking about my troubled tooth that is currently causing me pain and ten minutes talking about the 'big concerns' which is too baby teeth that need to get pulled and implants put in.  What a load of shit (sorry I'm just frustrated.)  Then they walked me over to the billing person to talk about the itemized estimate and schedule everything.  I just laughed and said I'll schedule the appointment to fix the issue with the painful tooth but will be getting a second opinion on the other stuff. 

The other stuff is $11,000 worth of work after insurance. What a bunch of bs and I knew they would push for it.  These baby teeth have never caused me an issue, are not currently loose, and have not effected my bite in the last 35 so why is that a top priority.  She showed me something on the xray on one of the baby teeth that she is concerned will spread to the tooth next to it. But that something wasn't a cavity, I know what those look like on an xray.  and i couldn't get a word in to ask to explain what it was. Dentistry sure can be a joke sometimes

  • Like 2
  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2021 at 6:51 AM, historically accurate said:

I got a $50 Walmart card for having been vaccinated from work. Youngest needs a few clothing items, so we'll start at Walmart. 

I sat in on the Finance Committee meeting at work this week, so an extra 1 1/2 hours on my check. DH worked til 5 on Friday (everyone else went home at 3 for the long weekend), so they gave him time and a half for those last two hours. 

Medical bills are still dogging us, but we're staying above water this year so far. So I'm super excited about that.

Ya for more money and staying ahead of medical bills. Woot.

13 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Went to the dentist today because of an trouble tooth and what I figured would happen is exactly what happened.  After xrays the dentist spent a whopping ten seconds talking about my troubled tooth that is currently causing me pain and ten minutes talking about the 'big concerns' which is too baby teeth that need to get pulled and implants put in.  What a load of shit (sorry I'm just frustrated.)  Then they walked me over to the billing person to talk about the itemized estimate and schedule everything.  I just laughed and said I'll schedule the appointment to fix the issue with the painful tooth but will be getting a second opinion on the other stuff. 

The other stuff is $11,000 worth of work after insurance. What a bunch of bs and I knew they would push for it.  These baby teeth have never caused me an issue, are not currently loose, and have not effected my bite in the last 35 so why is that a top priority.  She showed me something on the xray on one of the baby teeth that she is concerned will spread to the tooth next to it. But that something wasn't a cavity, I know what those look like on an xray.  and i couldn't get a word in to ask to explain what it was. Dentistry sure can be a joke sometimes

UGH. I agree. It is hard to trust them sometimes.

 

22 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

DH and I agreed to meet weekly to go over our budget. I lost 30 lbs on Weight Watchers (now WW) three years back and I realized that the weekly meetings were key. We've always only gone over budgets monthly and never had much success. I am hopeful that more frequent meetings will help me become a better Dollar Watcher!

I am looking into a new cell phone carrier now that we got DD14 a phone and she is talking like a teenager. It makes me happy that she and her closest friend are talking a lot, but we currently pay per minute. That doesn't make sense anymore!

I've entered every transaction so far this month into our spreadsheet.

Emily

Good for you, keeping track of things. Much easier to stay in budget when you know exactly how much you are spending on what.

16 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Ds had one of the professionals at ballet give him a bunch of brand new still the bag men's dance attire.  Yeah.

I need to buy a bunch of things for their show that is coming up.  Got the list, but I am sure we don't have everything they need.  Sigh.

 

 

Anyone into puzzles? 

Jigsaw Puzzles as low as $2.75 at Walmart! | Money Saving Mom®

Score on the brand new gear, that is a big help.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

- picked up scrip for me $8

-grocery shopping 100 ish and some cat food. in budget for the month.

-don't think I mentioned but my food processor stopped working (got last year at Christmas)- I called into Kitchenaid and they sent me a new one as it was in warranty. 

-direct deposit went through on one new account so bonus will be put in a few days. should meet the requirements for the 2nd bonus next week. Have to shuffle things around. 

-plan to get at least 1 thing up for sale this weekend

-ds has to get 1 tire for his car- it is the only thing we absolutely have to do right now- trying to find him a car before anything else becomes a have to do as we won't get the money back out of it

Had 3 cars sold before we could get to them yesterday. Went to look at another but it had some issues.

I've  got 3 leads this morning. Waiting until it is a decent time to call people. I got cash from the bank in case I find something. It is very tedious searching, there is not much in the local area as we are rural so I'm looking all over and have certain parameters plus aiming to get a good deal. It was a roller coaster of emotion yesterday finding something, waiting to hear back, and then find out we're too late. I've pretty much given up on loaning ds the money. His taste in cars is - um- not good. Too old or too hot rod. I know he is 17 year old boy but I'm not fronting money for something that he can't afford to maintain (and I'm done putting out a bunch in car repairs) and/or will hurt himself because he is driving too fast. Looking towards buying something that he can drive until dd1 is 16 and then she can take it over. He can save up until then, he'll be past 18 at that point and can get what he wants. I'm looking at cars that look nice but finding something he likes is not a big priority at this point! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Went to the dentist today because of an trouble tooth and what I figured would happen is exactly what happened.  After xrays the dentist spent a whopping ten seconds talking about my troubled tooth that is currently causing me pain and ten minutes talking about the 'big concerns' which is too baby teeth that need to get pulled and implants put in.  What a load of shit (sorry I'm just frustrated.)  Then they walked me over to the billing person to talk about the itemized estimate and schedule everything.  I just laughed and said I'll schedule the appointment to fix the issue with the painful tooth but will be getting a second opinion on the other stuff. 

The other stuff is $11,000 worth of work after insurance. What a bunch of bs and I knew they would push for it.  These baby teeth have never caused me an issue, are not currently loose, and have not effected my bite in the last 35 so why is that a top priority.  She showed me something on the xray on one of the baby teeth that she is concerned will spread to the tooth next to it. But that something wasn't a cavity, I know what those look like on an xray.  and i couldn't get a word in to ask to explain what it was. Dentistry sure can be a joke sometimes

Oh wow, that isn't a good experience.  I hate when some dentists and orthos take you for a ride in what they want to do.   Have you gone to this dentist before?  Can you find a new one you trust?

What baby teeth do you still have?  Are they erupted or in your gums too?  Sorry for all the questions.  One of my kids is going to have that as their future too of having a baby tooth.  The adult tooth was coming in horizontally and had to be removed because it was growing in the gums of 3 other teeth so they couldn't bring the tooth up straight.  The plan is to keep the baby tooth as long as possible and then at some point when it is wearing down to put in an implant.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2021 at 9:30 AM, EmilyGF said:

DH and I agreed to meet weekly to go over our budget. I lost 30 lbs on Weight Watchers (now WW) three years back and I realized that the weekly meetings were key. We've always only gone over budgets monthly and never had much success. I am hopeful that more frequent meetings will help me become a better Dollar Watcher!

Nice job figuring out what is helpful and motivating for you! That is so insightful.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh wow, that isn't a good experience.  I hate when some dentists and orthos take you for a ride in what they want to do.   Have you gone to this dentist before?  Can you find a new one you trust?

What baby teeth do you still have?  Are they erupted or in your gums too?  Sorry for all the questions.  One of my kids is going to have that as their future too of having a baby tooth.  The adult tooth was coming in horizontally and had to be removed because it was growing in the gums of 3 other teeth so they couldn't bring the tooth up straight.  The plan is to keep the baby tooth as long as possible and then at some point when it is wearing down to put in an implant.  

This was a new dentist and I'll be going back one more time to get my painful tooth dealt with but after that I'm finding a new one.  We do have 2 good recs on other trusted dentists.

The baby teeth are my bottom first molars and are still there because I had no adult teeth under them to push them out.  So, ages ago (when I was 14) my dentist put something like bridges on them so they aligned with the rest of my bite and told me she'd redo that anytime those wore down and as long as the teeth were healthy there was no reason to do anything until they fell out naturally.  Well the bridge things have never worn down and the baby teeth are still healthy.  I do know from x-rays the roots are almost gone on one so it will likely fall out soon enough.  But why the heck would I have two perfectly healthy teeth that have never caused me an issue in order to put fake teeth in?  It is just stupid and really pisses me off that she spent 10X's as much time focusing on why they need to come out than addressing the tooth causing pain and why I was there.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Found a car, woot!!! I'm pleased as punch with what we got. 1 owner old man car(he just passed away) in excellent condition, immaculate. New tires, battery, and alternator on it. Below KBB value. It is an older model Honda Accord. I puffy heart love Hondas and Toyotas and feel much better having one for the kids. The cost was pretty close to what I'd planned on spending when dd turned 16, it just rearranges my schedule. I'm going to sit down tomorrow and do some strategizing on how best to tweak things to accommodate this change.

 Now, to get the other car sold. Dh said he's planning on putting it up tomorrow.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trying to add up school expenses as dh gets paid next week and I'll be funding the Oct budget.

-lunch money for both- everyone gets free lunches now but my teenaged boy often needs extra servings and dd sometimes does

- yearbooks $52 each x 2= 104

-school pictures- $15-20 each= $30-$40

dd has a field trip this coming Friday to the fair- she needs spending and lunch money- have to think on that and talk to dh

Not sure if there are any more dues for other clubs. I think ds' club doesn't have dues. Dd has 2 clubs that haven't met yet so I guess we find out then. 

Ds has met his medical deductible. I'm expecting multiple bills from him but this had already been funded (still waiting on bills for him and dd1 from eobs weeks ago- you would think people would want their money). I got his adhd med set to refill next week, I want to get it as early as possible so I can get as many refills as I can before the end of the year. 

Dh will be doing some maintenance on the 'new' car, this one don't need much but he wanted to change transmission fluid. He will also replace the headlights (older car so lights are a bit cloudy and we like them nice and bright for teen night driving) and rear view mirror(it has some sun damage around the edges- only thing on the car that doesn't look great). Dh could buff out the lights but it won't last as long and we plan to keep the car for years. They aren't all that much from Rock Auto and I do have some in vehicle repairs already.

I'll have to call the insurance company Monday for the new car. It will be going up in cost for sure as we are going from liability to full coverage. I got some quotes on Friday so have a rough idea.Will also need to do license and registration and pay taxes.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to apply for the financial relief on Monday for DD's MRI. I also found that the cardiologist got paid, but it's showing as owing in Middle's my chart, so I have to get on that.

Sold 2 sets of books and the duplicate math book this week on ebay. Yay!

Stayed within my grocery budget for the first time in about a month. 

Made a plan for the coming week - getting Child Tax and we both have paydays. 

Dentist gave Middle a free box of whitening strips as she just got her braces off.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Soror said:

Found a car, woot!!! I'm pleased as punch with what we got. 1 owner old man car(he just passed away) in excellent condition, immaculate. New tires, battery, and alternator on it. Below KBB value. It is an older model Honda Accord. I puffy heart love Hondas and Toyotas and feel much better having one for the kids. The cost was pretty close to what I'd planned on spending when dd turned 16, it just rearranges my schedule. I'm going to sit down tomorrow and do some strategizing on how best to tweak things to accommodate this change.

 Now, to get the other car sold. Dh said he's planning on putting it up tomorrow.

Yay, I am glad you found a car.   Sounds like a good one.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After looking at the budget and accounts we decided to- cover the car purchase with sinking funds money and a bit from the shop fund (poor shop fund). We will repay the shop fund once the other car sales and if we are lucky have some to put back into the sinking funds. I will be able to replenish those more in Dec/Jan when dh is off college and works more. Of course, if something big comes up and we don't have enough then I'll have to hit my car fund but we are going to try and leave it as is. I will be lowering my car fund goal by 10%(so my percentages will have a bit of a jump). We had planned on using the funds from my van to help fund the car for dd but will now use that for my car leaving less I need to come up with. I'm squeezing all I can out of the budget this month to cash flow the taxes and registration- so will be looking for more things to sell so the money I was going to put towards car fund from dh's check(from his small raise) will go that instead.

I listed 3 things yesterday and we also posted the car. I think dh is asking more for the car than we will get but we can always lower the price if/when it doesn't sell.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

-Need to list more things to sell- don't want to. Supposed to meet a lady for one item I have listed-unfortunately the smallest item and only $10 but it is something

-60% of goal on Crowdtap

-got the "new" car registered, taxes paid, etc

Seems there is something else I'm forgetting...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still keeping up with tracking every cent spent. It ain't pretty, but I think it'll pay off. We are all being a bit more careful.

DS16 managed to injure himself while running, so we're adding on a number of doctor visits, which of course add up. Sigh.

On a positive note, though, the three oldest kids (DS16, DD14, and DD13) all have jobs of some sort so they are starting to think about their wants in terms of hours worked. They were invited to a ropes course in August which I totally didn't think was worth it; it was $$$/kid for two hours and a 1.5 hour drive each way. I didn't want to be the bad guy, though, so I was pretty relieved when they said, "Why is someone planning a trip like that? It sounds like a waste of time and money."

Emily

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

Still keeping up with tracking every cent spent. It ain't pretty, but I think it'll pay off. We are all being a bit more careful.

DS16 managed to injure himself while running, so we're adding on a number of doctor visits, which of course add up. Sigh.

On a positive note, though, the three oldest kids (DS16, DD14, and DD13) all have jobs of some sort so they are starting to think about their wants in terms of hours worked. They were invited to a ropes course in August which I totally didn't think was worth it; it was $$$/kid for two hours and a 1.5 hour drive each way. I didn't want to be the bad guy, though, so I was pretty relieved when they said, "Why is someone planning a trip like that? It sounds like a waste of time and money."

Emily

 

Hoping your DS is ok. 

What jobs are your 3 kids working?   Good for them for making wise money decisions. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

-sold $10item; still haven't listed other items or gotten any nibbles on 2 other items posted

-called insurance and price was a little less then they had told me monday but they still can't give me the exact price I owe b/c the ins. company has to prorate it. I paid in July for 6 months but since the vehicle is full coverage it costs more so I'll have to make up the difference and the difference in the last 2 months of not saving enough to cover it for Jan ($60 more a month). Ds has been covering it but I'm not going to make him cover those things, from this month on he'll get it though. 

-paid a couple of medical bills, still have many more coming. Looked through eobs and think I managed to put extra in the med fund. I checked and rechecked so that went back to the sinking fund that just got a beating and will be there if I forgot something

-ETC credit + bank bonus+ $10 = 41.6% (37.4% old goal) of "new" car fund; I will get paid this Friday and next. I am getting more classes than I thought this week but still need to sell around $200 to meet my goal. Have got to get other things listed and look for more things

-need to start grocery list and menu for shopping tomorrow

-the account I opened closed my account (and that is the first account I even opened in years)- I hadn't even added any money was just trying to link 1 account with it- and they won't tell me why. I haven't even done anything with it. 

-got cash out for kids- ds lunch money and dd other school and hoco stuff

-after a rough first week dh has done well not spending while at college. I bought him extra snacks and make sure dinner is ready when he gets home (he gets home after dinner but they can hold him over)

-dh's check this week is a bit better than expected so it looks like we can start to recover from the car purchase (at least a little)

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Hoping your DS is ok. 

What jobs are your 3 kids working?   Good for them for making wise money decisions. 

Dd13 is saving money to visit her best friend in Europe. She has been a mother's helper and now helps an older woman cut veggies and prep her week's food! Dd14 babysits and writes (!), but prefers babysitting currently. Ds16 teaches piano. There is a huge over-supply of unemployed adults where we live, as well as a very high minimum wage, so it is very difficult for under-18s to get legit jobs.

Emily

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

Dd13 is saving money to visit her best friend in Europe. She has been a mother's helper and now helps an older woman cut veggies and prep her week's food! Dd14 babysits and writes (!), but prefers babysitting currently. Ds16 teaches piano. There is a huge over-supply of unemployed adults where we live, as well as a very high minimum wage, so it is very difficult for under-18s to get legit jobs.

Emily

Wow, good for them for starting their own things and getting some work experience. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got the Child Tax Credit this morning. Already parceled out to a couple of funds & paid on a  credit card. 

Working 3 extra hours this week - Saturday is National Clean Up Day, so I'll get paid for some light gardening at work. It's going to be beastly hot though. Bleah - I signed up before the forecast was out.

Ebay dropped some money in my account today - I need to figure out what I'm applying it to (I think curriculum). I have got to finish listing the rest of the stuff I have in the pile as I think I am down to only about 4 things listed. Youngest tried on a slew of dresses she had in her closet. I have 7 dresses to sell, sizes girls 10 - junior 3, and I'll need to figure out how best to sell them. Some still have the tags (my mom always felt she needed new as well as hand me downs, so she had a lot of clothes).

I need to get a menu plan and grocery list going for an order on Friday. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

Got the Child Tax Credit this morning. Already parceled out to a couple of funds & paid on a  credit card. 

Working 3 extra hours this week - Saturday is National Clean Up Day, so I'll get paid for some light gardening at work. It's going to be beastly hot though. Bleah - I signed up before the forecast was out.

Ebay dropped some money in my account today - I need to figure out what I'm applying it to (I think curriculum). I have got to finish listing the rest of the stuff I have in the pile as I think I am down to only about 4 things listed. Youngest tried on a slew of dresses she had in her closet. I have 7 dresses to sell, sizes girls 10 - junior 3, and I'll need to figure out how best to sell them. Some still have the tags (my mom always felt she needed new as well as hand me downs, so she had a lot of clothes).

I need to get a menu plan and grocery list going for an order on Friday. 

 

Hopefully, it isn't too bad on Saturday. You have been all the ball listing things. I need to comb through things and find more to list. I really don't enjoy selling things at all but want the money.

I just listed 3 clothing items- 2 name brand items that dh was given and never wore (1 with tags) and a very nice Columbia lined jacket I got for ds at Goodwill but he outgrew. Priced at $60 all together but I expect I'll end up lowering the prices at least on some of it. I can always lower but can't ask for more.

Checked insurance website and they had the bill ready- $269. Paid that and readjusted my car insurance goal to reflect the new numbers. 

Currently have a nibble for the biggest item I have for sale...fingers crossed

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Soror said:

 

Hopefully, it isn't too bad on Saturday. You have been all the ball listing things. I need to comb through things and find more to list. I really don't enjoy selling things at all but want the money.

I just listed 3 clothing items- 2 name brand items that dh was given and never wore (1 with tags) and a very nice Columbia lined jacket I got for ds at Goodwill but he outgrew. Priced at $60 all together but I expect I'll end up lowering the prices at least on some of it. I can always lower but can't ask for more.

Checked insurance website and they had the bill ready- $269. Paid that and readjusted my car insurance goal to reflect the new numbers. 

Currently have a nibble for the biggest item I have for sale...fingers crossed

Yay for all the selling of stuff.  Do you use Ebay?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay for all the selling of stuff.  Do you use Ebay?

Nah, just Marketplace. I have sold on eBay but prefer not to mess with it if I can (ebay fees and shipping hassle).

The lady is talking pick up now so it is looking good- hopefully another $100 in my fund...

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Soror said:

 

Nah, just Marketplace. I have sold on eBay but prefer not to mess with it if I can (ebay fees and shipping hassle).

The lady is talking pick up now so it is looking good- hopefully another $100 in my fund...

Oh that is great sale.  Was it furniture?  I hope it goes through.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh that is great sale.  Was it furniture?  I hope it goes through.   

Ya, a bed.

She is meeting dh tomorrow and offered full price- $120 for dh to meet closer to her (less than $10 in gas for him). Woot. Woot. That is a big chunk towards my $200 goal. I figured it would sell quickly as I've sold several beds over the years and they usually go fast. She's the only one that messaged me but it only takes one.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Soror said:

Ya, a bed.

She is meeting dh tomorrow and offered full price- $120 for dh to meet closer to her (less than $10 in gas for him). Woot. Woot. That is a big chunk towards my $200 goal. I figured it would sell quickly as I've sold several beds over the years and they usually go fast. She's the only one that messaged me but it only takes one.

Score!!  Nice job.  I love getting money for stuff just sitting around at my house.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dh is taking the bed today ($120) and I'm meeting a lady about a jacket ($15)- not certain she is buying or just looking but I had to go to town anyway. 

Hoping to find other things to sell today to meet my goal. Still about $75-$80 short even after the bed and jacket(assuming it sells). I am going to be keeping the grocery budget as low as I can so I can maybe squeeze some out of it at the end of the month if I don't hit it. 

There are more rumors VIPKID ends this month but no official word. Who knows. It is like end time projections when one date passes there is another date. I've had more classes this month then I have since last fall/winter when I was working 7 days a week but the hours are rough. If I make it at least another few weeks into October that would be really good but I will take what I can get.

Menu done- still working on grocery list- shopping today

Wednesday: Chicken Pho

Thursday: Chicken Chili (w/ dried beans and using leftover chicken from pho)

Friday: Chicken Shwarma, roasted cauliflower, spiced sweet potatoes, and rice

Saturday: Steak and burgers+ salad

Sunday: Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, roasted garlic green beans

Monday: Salsa chicken w/ rice, asparagus/brussel sprouts

Tuesday: Green Chile Enchildas w/ Chipolte black beans, fresh corn salsa (from leftover corn on Sunday)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ugh! dh has been back in the office for about a month.  Finally got around to looking at the cc he uses and the amount of money he spends on food there is ridiculous!  This has always been an issue but I was really enjoying not having to deal with it when he was working from home.  Time to sit down with him yet again and try to point out just how much money he wastes on getting food from a vending machine instead of simply telling me what he wants when I go grocery shopping.  He literally went grocery shopping with me this week and I even reminded him to grab things for work and he didn't.  Why are some people like this? ha. 

It isn't a real problem because we'll just agree on a certain weekly amount and then he'll carry that much cash but you'd think after 14 years together it wouldn't need to be discussed still.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...