Menu

September Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

We hit up Goodwill on Friday and my oldest put together his Halloween costume for $16.  He's being Prison Mike from The Office.  5 more kids to go.  It has turned into a contest of who can come up with the least expensive costume.

I'm constantly on the look out for christmas gifts on the cheap. 

• Like 4

September Goals:

-35% car fund

Really hoping our other sinking funds can just sit there and we can have a minute without unplanned house or vehicle expenses. 

Planning to install bathroom cabinets downstairs, will need to buy a few things but have some funds set aside. Need to be in the lookout to find a cheap vanity top. Need ac part $200ish, also budgeted for. 

Ds should hit his deductible this month, ya! Waiting on a med bill to come in just got EOB. Shouldn't have any more that big for a good while(barring medical crap coming up).

Need to powwow with dh to make sure I've not missed any upcoming expenses.

Kids have school pictures and DD has SC dues and homecoming clothes. Ds hasn't mentioned homecoming, need to ask him.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

I'm starting to think about the holidays - I have my brother's and a couple of stocking stuffers for one kid. I picked up an Uber gift card for oldest since that and the bus are her options for getting around Huntsville. I've got some ideas for others, just have to follow through. I should probably do some of it soon in case Covid gets bad.

September spending/goals:

Should hit about 10% toward our big ol' loan. We can't make early payments until we can pay it off, so we're setting aside $ in a savings account. 

It's a 5 paycheck month for DH - sweet.

DH's life insurance is due in Sept, and we have the amount set aside already! Go, us!

We should pay off Oldest's EKG from this summer this month.

Unfortunately, Youngest's MRI came in two bills - part was covered as a copay. We got socked with the deductible for it later. Ick. Now, we'll have to figure out how to pay that. The hospital will most likely lower the total cost though, so we'll start with that. 

We'll start focusing on a card we balance transferred a couple of months ago to get it paid off in the 0% interest timeframe. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I'm starting to think about the holidays - I have my brother's and a couple of stocking stuffers for one kid. I picked up an Uber gift card for oldest since that and the bus are her options for getting around Huntsville. I've got some ideas for others, just have to follow through. I should probably do some of it soon in case Covid gets bad.

September spending/goals:

Should hit about 10% toward our big ol' loan. We can't make early payments until we can pay it off, so we're setting aside $ in a savings account. 

It's a 5 paycheck month for DH - sweet.

DH's life insurance is due in Sept, and we have the amount set aside already! Go, us!

We should pay off Oldest's EKG from this summer this month.

Unfortunately, Youngest's MRI came in two bills - part was covered as a copay. We got socked with the deductible for it later. Ick. Now, we'll have to figure out how to pay that. The hospital will most likely lower the total cost though, so we'll start with that. 

We'll start focusing on a card we balance transferred a couple of months ago to get it paid off in the 0% interest timeframe. 

Ya for an extra check!! I'm sorry you got another bill boo.  10% towards the big loan is a nice chunk.

I'm thinking of Christmas too and am making a Crowdtap goal to cover part of the kids gifts. I have been setting aside money every month for Christmas but want to stretch it as far as I can.

• Like 3

Another edition of good news bad news.....

- Our retirement is at 49.8% of our goal (soooo close to 50%)

-latest rumors are that we will just have 1 more month teaching (that is what a competing company has said) and as it has went it will then come to us

I was hoping to get at 3 more months but if I just get 1 more month it is what it is. I opened my schedule 30 min earlier and am considering another 30 min earlier. I'm at a 4:30 am wake up now and that would be 4am. That would be rough, will think on it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Soror said:

Another edition of good news bad news.....

- Our retirement is at 49.8% of our goal (soooo close to 50%)

-latest rumors are that we will just have 1 more month teaching (that is what a competing company has said) and as it has went it will then come to us

I was hoping to get at 3 more months but if I just get 1 more month it is what it is. I opened my schedule 30 min earlier and am considering another 30 min earlier. I'm at a 4:30 am wake up now and that would be 4am. That would be rough, will think on it.

I didn't know what kind of reaction to give.  Good job on the retirement.  Is that for the year or your total retirement number? 

One month?   That really stinks.  I am sorry.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I didn't know what kind of reaction to give.  Good job on the retirement.  Is that for the year or your total retirement number? 

One month?   That really stinks.  I am sorry.

Total retirement goal. Considering the rate things double we should be on track for early retirement, fingers crossed.

It does really stink. I was just talking to Mom she said usually places start hiring seasonally around Sep so I'll be keeping my eyes open, might need it sooner than I thought. Might do a seasonal job then cut back to very PT until summer and look to go FT. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Soror said:

Total retirement goal. Considering the rate things double we should be on track for early retirement, fingers crossed.

It does really stink. I was just talking to Mom she said usually places start hiring seasonally around Sep so I'll be keeping my eyes open, might need it sooner than I thought. Might do a seasonal job then cut back to very PT until summer and look to go FT. 

OH wow, that that is totally awesome.  I haven't checked ours in a long time.  I should do that.  We were ahead of where we needed to be and we have been maxing things out.  We don't have any plans of dh stopping work early, but options are nice to have.   I always thought he would want to work full time as he got older.  But with new hobbies and so many kids to spend time with or help, maybe he wouldn't be so bored.  Sounds like you are in a really great place.  Paid off house and early retirement.  Congrats.

Yeah that totally stinks.  I am sorry.  I have seen a lot of work from home things that moms have done be a good source of income and then dry up over the last 16 years.  For one reason or another.  Maybe working seasonal and then summer will be a great fit for you.  I hope you find something that is great.

People who are getting ready for the holidays , if you are getting toys the news said to buy toys now because there is going to be a supply issue on them for the holidays.  And they might go up in cost by 20%.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3

Goals for September:

1. Pay off new credit card (signed up for chase preferred to pay for the girls dance tuition in order to use the sign up rewards to pay for upcoming hotel stays.)

2. $1500 gross pet sitting and ebay ( already have $805 scheduled for the first week of Sept from pet sitting.  Now that my parents' house is off my hands entirely I can ramp up the ebay business!)

3. Finish 50% of our Christmas shopping and stay in budget

4. Get at least 3 kids Halloween costumes done this month with a $20 budget each  on average (1 costume is done, which came in at $16 like I mentioned earlier.  So, that $4 can go towards another costume if we need that.)

I think that is all the goals I'll start with and if I knock them out I'll reevaluate.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Soror said:

Early retirement is my goal for dh.  Haven't calculated where we are in terms of that goal but every additional penny I make goes into investments meant for an early retirement so lately it has been ramped up quite a bit

• Like 5

We got a check in the mail today from our health insurance. Don't know why, but I will take it. It's within $4 of paying Oldest's EKG, so that's checked off my list!

Middle got her permit today - took her driving around an empty parking lot. 

Oldest may get more Covid relief $ from UAH - some convoluted wording on their website, but it reads like they were going to start distributing it this week. Nothing so far though. If it does come through, we'll send it back to them next semester for tuition.

Sold some more books on ebay. When cleaning getting ready for the school year, I found 2 of the same math book. Oops! So, I guess I will be listing one of those soon. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

We got a check in the mail today from our health insurance. Don't know why, but I will take it. It's within $4 of paying Oldest's EKG, so that's checked off my list!

Oldest may get more Covid relief $ from UAH - some convoluted wording on their website, but it reads like they were going to start distributing it this week. Nothing so far though. If it does come through, we'll send it back to them next semester for tuition.

Sold some more books on ebay. When cleaning getting ready for the school year, I found 2 of the same math book. Oops! So, I guess I will be listing one of those soon. 

Great money day for you!

Wow that is so great that the EKG is off your list!!  YAY.

Yay for the driving practice.

I hope ODD gest some more $

Yay for selling more books.  Hurry and list the math books.  Time is right.  I laugh because I was going through school stuff this week and was ready to pull out the next grade stuff for one of my kiddos.  I thought I pre bought everything last year for a few years, but ended up not buying Kindergarten stuff.  Argh.  So ordered that stuff over the weekend and then some more for my youngers.   UGH I love curriculum.   I could have used the funds from school to do it but I usually spend all that on lessons. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, historically accurate said:

YA, that is awesome you can cover the EKG now!!! (Can you still work on getting the bill lower so you have extra to put towards something else?)

Congrats to middle dd.

Great job selling books.

16 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Goals for September:

1. Pay off new credit card (signed up for chase preferred to pay for the girls dance tuition in order to use the sign up rewards to pay for upcoming hotel stays.)

2. $1500 gross pet sitting and ebay ( already have $805 scheduled for the first week of Sept from pet sitting.  Now that my parents' house is off my hands entirely I can ramp up the ebay business!)

4. Get at least 3 kids Halloween costumes done this month with a $20 budget each  on average (1 costume is done, which came in at $16 like I mentioned earlier.  So, that $4 can go towards another costume if we need that.)

I think that is all the goals I'll start with and if I knock them out I'll reevaluate.

You are over half-way to your goal already,woot, woot!

We haven't even thought of costumes here. I think only my youngest two will probably trick or treat.

• Like 3

-Must make grocery list and menu- might go grocery shopping today

-keep job hunting

DD found a homecoming dress for $9 (tax and all)!!! Now just to find some shoes. She'll be going with nude heels then they'll be able to be reused too.

I have some things I need to sell too. Some shirts. My old table and chairs (mom said she didn't want the money) so I'll pocket that, hoping for maybe 40-50 for the car fund. Need to hunt around for anything else.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Goals for September:

Smart about the cc for tuition.  Dh and I just got our own so 200k points to add to all our points we have there.  Did you each get your own?  I do this all the time for dance.  Their school pays for a lot of it, but for what they don't pay and summer getting a 1k or more back on what I am spending is nice.  

Did your parents' house sell yet? 

Good job on your businesses.

I think I am going to get more into Christmas shopping.  There are still some toys on sale that my kids would like. 

Until I saw your post I forgot about Halloween.    We kind of got out of trick or treating since Covid.  The year before my older 2 didn't go TOT and instead wanted to go to dance class.  Last year we didn't go and had a much nicer time.  Doubt we will do it this year.  We don't buy costumes just use what we have.  

My kids are back to school today.  I am so sad summer is over. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Soror said:

YA, that is awesome you can cover the EKG now!!! (Can you still work on getting the bill lower so you have extra to put towards something else?)

Congrats to middle dd.

Great job selling books.

You are over half-way to your goal already,woot, woot!

We haven't even thought of costumes here. I think only my youngest two will probably trick or treat.

We're on our last payment for it, and it was discounted already (about a 50% reduction), so I'm happy with being able to get that last payment done. We'll probably put the money to Youngest's MRI that we know is going to hit the account soon (and I'll be asking for a reduction in that as well). They usually do about 50% off for our wage level. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Smart about the cc for tuition.  Dh and I just got our own so 200k points to add to all our points we have there.  Did you each get your own?  I do this all the time for dance.  Their school pays for a lot of it, but for what they don't pay and summer getting a 1k or more back on what I am spending is nice.  

Did your parents' house sell yet? 

Good job on your businesses.

I think I am going to get more into Christmas shopping.  There are still some toys on sale that my kids would like. 

Until I saw your post I forgot about Halloween.    We kind of got out of trick or treating since Covid.  The year before my older 2 didn't go TOT and instead wanted to go to dance class.  Last year we didn't go and had a much nicer time.  Doubt we will do it this year.  We don't buy costumes just use what we have.  

My kids are back to school today.  I am so sad summer is over. 

Dh didn't sign up for the cc but probably will later this year when we have to pay property taxes because that will get us almost to the spend requirement.  Then we'll have enough points for our small trip and another trip with the kids.  

There house did not sell yet.  For a wide variety of reasons that are just too complicated to get into it didn't sell.  We were all just so busy with family things after it went on the market that none of us could give it the attention it needed at that time.  But now that family things are dealt with I have to start the school year so I can't give it anymore of my attention.  So, they are hiring their realtor friend and it'll sell quickly once she gets her hands on it. My mom and I could have sold it no problem had my dad not put a few limitations on us.  Now that he just wants to be done he took those limitations away but at a time I can't devote time to it anymore.

Thanks.  I really thrive on building my own businesses.

We did TOT last year in our neighborhood because everyone who participated took great precautions so we feel confident this year too.  We piece our costumes together with what we have and goodwill finds.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Dh didn't sign up for the cc but probably will later this year when we have to pay property taxes because that will get us almost to the spend requirement.  Then we'll have enough points for our small trip and another trip with the kids.  

There house did not sell yet.  For a wide variety of reasons that are just too complicated to get into it didn't sell.  We were all just so busy with family things after it went on the market that none of us could give it the attention it needed at that time.  But now that family things are dealt with I have to start the school year so I can't give it anymore of my attention.  So, they are hiring their realtor friend and it'll sell quickly once she gets her hands on it. My mom and I could have sold it no problem had my dad not put a few limitations on us.  Now that he just wants to be done he took those limitations away but at a time I can't devote time to it anymore.

Thanks.  I really thrive on building my own businesses.

We did TOT last year in our neighborhood because everyone who participated took great precautions so we feel confident this year too.  We piece our costumes together with what we have and goodwill finds.  

Good idea on the next round of travel hacking.  I had read about it for years and thought it was to good to be true and a scam.  I wish we would have gotten into it earlier.  Although if you are not responsible it isn't a thing to do.  

Where are you guys planning on going? 

Sending some good luck on selling the house.  I notice in my city things are cooling off.  Houses are sitting.  People are dropping prices on their houses. 

Yeah TOT is usually miserable weather.  I think there have been maybe 2 times in the last 16 years where it was good weather.  It was more fun to just do our own thing and not do TOT.  It also was not safely done in our neighborhood.  Tons of people, packed sidewalks, no social distancing, very very few masks.  I am glad we didn't even try it. 

You are doing great with your businesses.  I think you are going to be one of these huge sellers on Ebay in a year or two. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Where are you guys planning on going? 

You are doing great with your businesses.  I think you are going to be one of these huge sellers on Ebay in a year or two. 

Well  dh and I are gonna stay in Philly for 2 nights in Oct.  We're gonna do the haunted houses at Eastern State Penitentiary, an escape room, and go to dh's cousins bar we haven't been to yet.  We're pretty excited just for a short trip away.

As a family,  I don't know.  I'm not comfortable with travelling with all the kids yet so it will be a future trip.  Likely Universal Studios in Orlando because we told one of the kids we'd go again when she's 7.  She's 7 in feb so it will likely not be happening until she's almost 8 if not older.  who knows.

I don't actually think I want to be one of those huge sellers on ebay or not.  I may change my mind as I expand.  But I'm thinking I'm just going to keep it as no more than 15 hours a week and if I can become a huge seller at that then good.  If  not, no big deal

• Like 2

Oldest has Covid $ from her school coming her way. It's showing on her account as "Refund in progress". $1000 less cost for next semester - Awesome!

I was supposed to take my brother to a medical appointment this morning, but that was canceled, so I'm cleaning and listing some more books on ebay. I will work this afternoon.

I may have to up the gas budget since Middle is wanting to drive about 23 hours a day LOL. (She's done two sessions of 30 mins each going around an empty parking lot thus far). She really wanted to go yesterday afternoon, but there aren't any empty lots at that time - she was seriously bummed.

I came up with some more Christmas gift ideas - just have to purchase them. I'm slowly working on getting the holidays organized.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Dd1 joined 3 more clubs - good and bad of course. $15 in dues to FFA added to school fees. Not sure about other 2 clubs. Already had $25 due for STUCO this month. I want her to be active, hopefully we don't go too broke paying for all the fees, trips, etc.

Ds joined 1 club.

I have someone coming this afternoon to buy the table.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay!  Let me know if you find anything good.  I started going through the list yesterday but I had an allergy attack that left me feeling awful.

hope allergies are better today.  So far, just the Elephant and Piggie Biggie Book 3 that ds4 has been asking for. I'll do some more searching later today.  Right now I'm so exhausted from watching 6 additional kids yesterday and today.

• Like 4

Amazon book deals 

Harry Potter Paperback Box Set (Books 1-7): J. K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré: 9780545162074: Amazon.com: Books

Percy Jackson and the Olympians 5 Book Paperback Boxed Set (new covers w/poster) (Percy Jackson & the Olympians): Riordan, Rick, Rocco, John: 8601419661084: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: Dog Man: The Supa Epic Collection: From the Creator of Captain Underpants (Dog Man #1-6 Boxed Set): 9781338603347: Pilkey, Dav, Pilkey, Dav: Books

Amazon.com: Dog Man: The Epic Collection: From the Creator of Captain Underpants (Dog Man #1-3 Boxed Set): 9781338230642: Pilkey, Dav, Pilkey, Dav: Books

Dog Man: The Cat Kid Collection: From the Creator of Captain Underpants (Dog Man #4-6 Boxed Set): Pilkey, Dav, Pilkey, Dav: 9781338602197: Amazon.com: Books

The Baby-Sitters Club Retro Set: Martin, Ann M.: 9781338311488: Amazon.com: Books

Hidden Hogwarts: Scratch Magic (Harry Potter): Scholastic, Warner Bros., Bull, Carolyn: 9781338246100: Amazon.com: Books

Marauder's Map Guide to Hogwarts (Harry Potter): Pascal, Erinn, Cann, Helen: 9781338252804: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: Klutz Circuit Clay Science/STEM Activity Kit : Editors of Klutz: Toys & Games

Hogwarts Library (Harry Potter): Rowling, J. K.: 9781338132328: Amazon.com: Books

Ok I looked through all of the pages and it is more for younger kids.  This was most of what was for older kids.  I mean there were some single books, but I prefer to buy sets. 

There were some workbooks if anyone uses those for kids.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 4

Sold some things this week.

Amazon credited something to us instead of having us return it.  Score.

Ordered new beds.  Need to get some new mattresses.  It will just help us live in the house better. 

Spent some $ on upgrading mountain bikes

Ordered new masks and nasal spray.  

School is sending out new computers and ipads.  

Getting the free sailing lessons this weekend.  

Need to buy some more school supplies.  

I want to start getting Christmas presents.  I have gotten lists from the kids.  They don't have many ideas.  But I will just add things that I think they will like or use.   I was sad there wasn't much on that 2 for 3 price sale on books.  

• Like 3

Joining this thread... DH worked only one month this summer instead of the 2.5 he does most years (he is a professor and can choose how much to work each summer), so we ended up with lower income than I had expected. He needed the lower stress, but now we need to watch the budget. We also had some shingles fall off the side of our house ($$$) and can't kick that can down the road too much. So, higher expenses, lower income. I need to be careful again. 😉

Emily

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

Joining this thread... DH worked only one month this summer instead of the 2.5 he does most years (he is a professor and can choose how much to work each summer), so we ended up with lower income than I had expected. He needed the lower stress, but now we need to watch the budget. We also had some shingles fall off the side of our house ($$$) and can't kick that can down the road too much. So, higher expenses, lower income. I need to be careful again. 😉

Emily

Welcome.  Shingles or siding?  If you want to save money and are handy both are easy to learn to fix. I suggest a few youtube videos.  And if you have a Restore near by they usually have both materials for cheap.  Just finding it to match can be difficult

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Welcome.  Shingles or siding?  If you want to save money and are handy both are easy to learn to fix. I suggest a few youtube videos.  And if you have a Restore near by they usually have both materials for cheap.  Just finding it to match can be difficult

Painted cedar shingles of a style not made frequently anymore. They fell off because the roof repair person four years ago flashed the roof incorrectly, so replacing the shingles involves removing more, reflashing the roof, and then shingling the side of the house and painting. They are quite high up (we have a three story house). I asked my dad to assess whether he could help us do it and he said it was too high. Otherwise, I would. We've done a lot of our own repairs recently, though.

Emily

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

Painted cedar shingles of a style not made frequently anymore. They fell off because the roof repair person four years ago flashed the roof incorrectly, so replacing the shingles involves removing more, reflashing the roof, and then shingling the side of the house and painting. They are quite high up (we have a three story house). I asked my dad to assess whether he could help us do it and he said it was too high. Otherwise, I would. We've done a lot of our own repairs recently, though.

Emily

that is a shame. hopefully it isn't too expensive. We actually have a roof issue we have to get taken care of.  When dh and I sit down together this weekend to discuss all the house projects we'll be figuring out if we are doing it ourselves or not.  We also have to rent a dumpster and tear down the shed a tree fell on, and power wash and pain the deck, which is HUGE!  All things we can do but it is so many hours we may have to suck it up and pay someone to do at least on of those things. we'll see

• Like 3

I finally got a dental appointment scheduled for myself!  It has been a long time since I've had a cleaning.  Still have to set up appointments for the kids. Thankfully, with our insurance the appointment will cost nothing but since I'm pretty sure I have a cavity that next appointment will cost something.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I finally got a dental appointment scheduled for myself!  It has been a long time since I've had a cleaning.  Still have to set up appointments for the kids. Thankfully, with our insurance the appointment will cost nothing but since I'm pretty sure I have a cavity that next appointment will cost something.

I went in March and hadn't been since Covid started.  But there was 2 times since having kids I hadn't been in a long time before that.  One time I just felt like I had been because I was there so much with the kids.  Like are you kidding me I haven't been for 3 years?   Hopefully you just have the one cavity.  When I went in March I thought I had a cavity or worse and it was nothing except grinding my teeth. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I went in March and hadn't been since Covid started.  But there was 2 times since having kids I hadn't been in a long time before that.  One time I just felt like I had been because I was there so much with the kids.  Like are you kidding me I haven't been for 3 years?   Hopefully you just have the one cavity.  When I went in March I thought I had a cavity or worse and it was nothing except grinding my teeth. 

well really I think I have a filling that fell out.  I'm hoping that is all it is.  dh has an appointment too and I'm trying to encourage him to talk about getting an implant for a tooth he had to have pulled a few years ago.  I don't care either way if he does it but the driving factor in why he didn't get it done right away was money.  Since that isn't as much of an issue I'd love him to get it done if he wants to

• Like 4

18 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I hope it goes smoothly and easily for you.

18 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Emily

UGH. Fingers crossed you can find someone to do the job for a reasonable price (and do it right!). We do a lot ourselves too but somethings you need special equipment and/or expertise. I grew up and my parents didn't hire out anything at all. Dh's parents did a lot themselves but did hire out some jobs. We are in the middle. Some things we can do just fine and sometimes it saves us money and time in the long run to have a pro do it. We are headed into a tighter time as well. I don't know how much more I'm going to be able to work plus we have increased expenses for dc's school and dh's college things, it all adds up.

• Like 3

Dh wanted to go out to eat last night to celebrate our retirement milestone BUT he got stuck at work late and by the time he mentioned it I already had supper cooking. We did take the younger 2 girls to get some ice cream after dinner (older 2 were busy). We might go out to dinner this weekend. Or I might just cook us some steaks (still have some in the freezer). We'll see. I want to celebrate but it is odd to me to use current money to celebrate future money. I can't wrap my brain around it. 

-Still searching jobs in case anything great comes up but will continue on with VIPKID as long as I can. My schedule next week is good and I had all but 1 class booked the past 3 days. I opened up another 30 min early for next week. I get paid next week for August and am now on weekly payments, just in case things go south quickly I don't want to get stuck not getting paid. 

-want to look more into bank bonuses this weekend. We have money in our account not getting full interest because we are over the limit. Some is for the vaca next spring and some for the shop that we plan to build in the summer so I've got several months to try and earn more money off of it. I want to get all the "easy" money I can, that is less I have to work to fill the car fund.

-hope to get something else listed for sale this weekend- want to look and see what else I can find

-40% to my Christmas goal on Crowdtap - I hadn't kept up with it in awhile and had a backlog which got me a chunk more quickly

I am still hopeful I can hit 50% of my car fund by the end of December. 

-

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Soror said:

Dh wanted to go out to eat last night to celebrate our retirement milestone BUT he got stuck at work late and by the time he mentioned it I already had supper cooking. We did take the younger 2 girls to get some ice cream after dinner (older 2 were busy). We might go out to dinner this weekend. Or I might just cook us some steaks (still have some in the freezer). We'll see. I want to celebrate but it is odd to me to use current money to celebrate future money. I can't wrap my brain around it. 

-Still searching jobs in case anything great comes up but will continue on with VIPKID as long as I can. My schedule next week is good and I had all but 1 class booked the past 3 days. I opened up another 30 min early for next week. I get paid next week for August and am now on weekly payments, just in case things go south quickly I don't want to get stuck not getting paid. 

-want to look more into bank bonuses this weekend. We have money in our account not getting full interest because we are over the limit. Some is for the vaca next spring and some for the shop that we plan to build in the summer so I've got several months to try and earn more money off of it. I want to get all the "easy" money I can, that is less I have to work to fill the car fund.

-hope to get something else listed for sale this weekend- want to look and see what else I can find

-40% to my Christmas goal on Crowdtap - I hadn't kept up with it in awhile and had a backlog which got me a chunk more quickly

I am still hopeful I can hit 50% of my car fund by the end of December. 

-

I hope you guys do something to celebrate that is such a great goal to have accomplished!

I am glad you are working a lot right now.  Hoping something great turns up.

Bank bonus

Earn up to $1,500 | Citi.com

I Just saw this.  Otherwise Doctorofcredit is a great one to search for ones that are going on.

That is really awesome that you have almost half your Christmas goal on Crowdtap. Yay.  How is 20/20 research going for you?  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I hope you guys do something to celebrate that is such a great goal to have accomplished!

I am glad you are working a lot right now.  Hoping something great turns up.

Bank bonus

Earn up to $1,500 | Citi.com

I Just saw this.  Otherwise Doctorofcredit is a great one to search for ones that are going on.

That is really awesome that you have almost half your Christmas goal on Crowdtap. Yay.  How is 20/20 research going for you?  

I qualified for a survey last week but it was full. I did it right after I got the email. I guess there weren't many spots. I've not received any emails since then.

I have been looking at Doctor of Credit and Nerd wallets. Narrowing it down to the best fit based on requirements. I'll check that one out.

• Like 2

- Opened bank acounts for dh and I for bonuses- have a little leg work to do this week on this (transferring money)

-Spent $15 on caulk, etc for installing the door. Need more caulk 5-$10 I think

-Think I have something else to sell. MIL wants to trade some shelves I have for a bed- which then leaves me a bed to sell. Will try to move shelves and bed today--maybe

-Dd1 bought some jewelry to go with hoco dress-$16

-MIL bought girls halloween costumes ($10 total)- I planned to do this but she took them to Goodwill 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Soror said:

- Opened bank acounts for dh and I for bonuses- have a little leg work to do this week on this (transferring money)

-Spent $15 on caulk, etc for installing the door. Need more caulk 5-$10 I think

-Think I have something else to sell. MIL wants to trade some shelves I have for a bed- which then leaves me a bed to sell. Will try to move shelves and bed today--maybe

-Dd1 bought some jewelry to go with hoco dress-$16

-MIL bought girls halloween costumes ($10 total)- I planned to do this but she took them to Goodwill 

what bank accounts did you do? 

• Like 1

-Today is pay day (of course doesn't clear until tomorrow with the holiday)- car fund is- 29.88%

Original goal for this month was 35% but since I changed to weekly pay checks (instead of monthly) I'll get some of Sep pay this month. With those checks and selling some things I think I'll end up at 40%. Lots of hustling, scheming, and planning and am tentatively hoping to push up to 60% car fund done by the end of the year and finish it by the end of next summer. We'll see if I can make that happen. Lots of balls in the air and unknowns but I thrive with making goals. Aiming high.

Still need to finish setting up for little side gig I started last week (have to do a video). 

Did more car shopping and have near entirely decided that I will be getting a smaller car than originally planned. 

-I prefer smaller vehicles- easier to drive and better gas mileage

-it costs less which means I can get a newer vehicle for less money- possibly/hopefully even a hybrid to get even better gas mileage

-I'd rather have newer with less miles than more bells and whistles- anything I get will have vastly more than what I have now and be a tremendous upgrade

-I'm going to be hustling hard as it is to get it and don't want to spend any more money than I already have planned- too many other things to spend money on

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Soror said:

-Today is pay day (of course doesn't clear until tomorrow with the holiday)- car fund is- 29.88%

Original goal for this month was 35% but since I changed to weekly pay checks (instead of monthly) I'll get some of Sep pay this month. With those checks and selling some things I think I'll end up at 40%. Lots of hustling, scheming, and planning and am tentatively hoping to push up to 60% car fund done by the end of the year and finish it by the end of next summer. We'll see if I can make that happen. Lots of balls in the air and unknowns but I thrive with making goals. Aiming high.

Still need to finish setting up for little side gig I started last week (have to do a video). 

Did more car shopping and have near entirely decided that I will be getting a smaller car than originally planned. 

-I prefer smaller vehicles- easier to drive and better gas mileage

-it costs less which means I can get a newer vehicle for less money- possibly/hopefully even a hybrid to get even better gas mileage

-I'd rather have newer with less miles than more bells and whistles- anything I get will have vastly more than what I have now and be a tremendous upgrade

-I'm going to be hustling hard as it is to get it and don't want to spend any more money than I already have planned- too many other things to spend money on

Good luck!  You sound very motivated and off to a great start with work, side hustle, and bank accounts!

• Like 3

Another staycation weekend.  Dh and the kids are sailing all yesterday and today.  One day was a free make up sailing lesson and the other not. 

Not much else going on.  I think I will do some spending tonight.  School stuff and maybe a few Christmas presents.  Did a grocery order yesterday and we got a few freebies.  Bottle of wine, some of our favorite dips, and some meat.  Score. 

• Like 3

I spent some of my pet sitting money on taking dh out on a date.  We went to our favorite restaurant, which  we hadn't been to in well over a year.  Then we went to 2nd & Charles to browse used books, didn't get anything though.  We also had to go to Kohl's because dh broke is black dress shoes two week ago so needed to replace them.  I'm trying hard being ok spending money on date nights regularly.  With our 12 year old being able to watch the rest of the kids safely we're trying to be more intentional with our dates.  We don't always spend money, sometimes it is just a walk.  But I have realized we both get a lot more out of it if it is away from the house instead of waiting for the kids to go to sleep and then spending time together, which we do a lot of that too. So, I think it is time to put maybe biweekly dates into our budget instead of just using the money from our misc category

• Like 5