Menu

IDA

TravelingChris

I'll start this thread.  We personally aren't  in danger and latest from NWA says that as of  early this morning, storm spotting not expected to be needed. But as a trained volunteer, I know to keep up w changes.

My dd1's in- laws are super unlucky though. They bought a condo a months ago in Pass Christian, MS and have been completely unable to secure storm shutters- back ordered the entire time and no others available.  They also paid for siding repair which was never done.  This is their future retirement home/ current vacation home.

They and so many other relatives and friends of dsil and even dd1 live in Jackson, MS area which ix expected yo have a tropical storm.

Also concerned for my Betterhelp therapist in Mobie Bay area.

• Sad 10

11 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

Praying for everyone in this storm’s path. 

Me too.  I'm terrified for those people and what is going to happen.  I have friends in the area and all who wanted to get out did, but one couple chose to stay.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 2

I have lots of relatives, including my mom, that live between Slidell and Baton Rouge.  My mom still has power and is doing ok, although a lot of people in her town have been without power for hours.  Since Ida is moving fairly quickly, the hope is that there’s not too much trouble with flooding around there.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, athena1277 said:

I have lots of relatives, including my mom, that live between Slidell and Baton Rouge.  

I know a lifelong Californian who just moved to Slidell. A hurricane would be an awful welcome to Louisiana.

Actually, Im hopeful they haven’t moved in yet as my family member, who told me this a few weeks ago, sometimes gets the details/ times wrong. 

Edited by NewnameC
  • Like 1

My family has just moved to NOLA six weeks before Katrina; moving in during a mild Cat2 hurricane. So we got counsel to evacuate, thank G-d. We lost everything except the meager belongings we took with us thinking we'd only be gone three days.

Looking at it from the rearward perspective, it changed our lives for the good. But I know how horrible it was for most people.

I have a nasty case of deva vu and I pray it won't be as bad as it's predicted to be.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

My dad lives on the MS gulf coast and just tested positive for Covid the other day. I’m a little worried. He seems to have a mostly mild case. I don’t think he’s as prepared as I’d like for the storm. I emailed my aunt (who lives with him but isn’t used to hurricanes) urging her to set aside more drinking water and fill the freezer with gallon bags of tap water to help cool the freezer if there’s a power outage (which is pretty likely). I lived with my parents on the gulf coast during Katrina and we lost cars, the house, and as a result I lost my job. We had evacuated but returned to a disaster and had to stay with a stranger and bounce around til we got new homes. 

I live north of Jackson and have the kids this weekend. I have a gas stove which is good. DD’s spare car seat is in a closet and I may strap her in if there’s a tornado. 

Trying to get some sleep soon before the storm hits this area. 

Someone stole my debit info (maybe a gas station skimmer) and I don’t know when my credit union will reopen so they can mail a new one. I used cash today to get a few last min things like a mini usb cable to charge my potable phone charger thingy. 

Thinking of everyone affected by the storm. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

2 hours ago, MissLemon said:

People can thank them by getting vaccinated against Covid. 

My second vaccine was supposed to be Monday lol 

Agree with the sentiment. 

3 hours ago, Starr said:

I hope you can sleep some. Stay safe!

Thanks. I slept some and will try again. Storm prediction I’m going by is this chart. 

4452A440-CEA9-4A04-ACE3-7EAB527E7C26.jpeg

6 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I’m not sure I follow. I’ve lost power before and still had water. 

Water treatment facilities need electric to pump and treat the water to households. 

ETA: When we lost power in February during Snow-vid, we lost water, too. The water company had no power to treat or pump the water to keep pressure up. We were under a boil-order for days because of low pressure. 

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Water treatment facilities need electric to pump and treat the water to households. 

ETA: When we lost power in February during Snow-vid, we lost water, too. The water company had no power to treat or pump the water to keep pressure up. We were under a boil-order for days because of low pressure. 

After Katrina there was no power for a while and I showered in a stranger’s home. It just wasn’t able to get the water hot. But it may be a different story because of the transmission tower. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

After Katrina there was no power for a while and I showered in a stranger’s home. It just wasn’t able to get the water hot. But it may be a different story because of the transmission tower. 

When we had a hurricane hit Long Island, NY, we were without power for 10 days, but still had water, thankfully. It was ice-cold, though! Not great for showers. 😕 

I hope they are able to re-route power so everyone still has water.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissLemon said:

When we had a hurricane hit Long Island, NY, we were without power for 10 days, but still had water, thankfully. It was ice-cold, though! Not great for showers. 😕 

I hope they are able to re-route power so everyone still has water.  

There was a little bit of residual heat but I just got lucky. I made the kids bathe yesterday and now the tub is full of water just in case we need it for flushing or boiling later. I know some people hide in bathtubs for tornados, but there's a small window above our tub and we have better places in the home to go so we won't be using it likely. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I’m not sure I follow. I’ve lost power before and still had water. 

During the snowpocalypse last February, we lost water because of power being out. Round Rock managed to get enough fuel for their generators to keep their water plants going but ours did not.

• Sad 2

I was pretty worried because my husband is at National Guard training in LA, and they are mostly outdoors in tents and things. Thankfully, he's to the west of the storm and don't even seem to be getting rain. They are all crammed into a shack for 24 hours as a precaution. Many, perhaps most, are vaccinated, but hopefully they don't spread Covid. I'm not sure how many will keep a mask on for 24 hours straight.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

@TravelingChris did you speak with anyone? My best friend’s family is in Pass Christian and it wasn’t bad there. I used to live in Long Beach, MS right by the Pass Christian Walmart (which was pretty new and really nice). 

Last  I heard, they didn't know anything last evening.  And my dd who is married to their son, was basically unable to stop crying because of her work- she knows the horror if what started happening 8n Afghanistan right after we left- using our Blackhawks to hang and throw out the people who helped us and others like folk singers, comedians, gays, Christians, etc, etc

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I really hope they are all fine.  Have you sn update?

They stayed dry and got let out of the building the next morning. They should be packing up and heading towards home. Thanks for checking in.

• Like 4