Menu

PSA: Don't skip your colonoscopy

Farrar

9 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Did we discuss in this thread that the American Cancer Society changed their recommendations so that now colonoscopies are recommended for age 45 and up?  

Mine is going to be scheduled soon, thanks to this thread.  I knew I would need it because of family history but I didn't know if I could get it at age 48.

https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/american-cancer-society-updates-colorectal-cancer-screening-guideline.html

Incidentally, because there is a history of polyps (my dad) and colon cancer (great uncle), I am not eligible for the "poop in a box" test (can't remember the name).  

Thinking of all who have lost loved ones and grateful that you sought to raise awareness of this.

Glad you are getting yours done soon.  It's so important.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 3:25 PM, Ottakee said:

I agree.  Do NOT put it off.  One thing that makes it so much better (ok, it still isn't pleasant) is that they now have pills you can take instead of drinking the terrible liquid.  I just had mine 3 weeks ago.   I had to be on a low fiber diet for 5 days, a clear liquid diet the day before.  Then 5pm the night before I had to take 12 pills and drink water, then more more, and then more water.  From about 6-9pm I just stayed sitting.  It wasn't horrible as I had a book, y phone, etc.  Vaseline is your friend....use after each wipe 🙂

Then about 6am I had to take 12 more pills and water and water and water.  I was sitting from about 7-9am and that was it.

Test was super easy and quick.  I was in and out in under 2 hours.

Afterwards I wasn't very tired, but some people are.  My blood pressure was a bit low but I drank some electrolytes and ate pizza and  by the next day was 100%.

This is the most amazing news! Thank you for sharing.  My first colonoscopy was rough. The night before, as I was drinking that awful stuff, I started vomiting. The next day appoint. was set for noon, and I kept telling staff "Um, I'm still eliminating." Nobody listened. I was too out of it to be assertive. When I woke up the dr. said he only saw thirty percent.

But I remember telling the anesthesia nurse when I was on the table, "I'm still eliminating."

What are the pills called?

And thank you! And I'm so sorry @Farrar about your friend. I'm calling for an appoint. thanks to you and her on Monday morning. 

Edited by Alicia64
  • Like 3

On 8/30/2021 at 4:06 PM, mom31257 said:

We were told not to do these. If you get a false positive, which often happens, you can never get a regular diagnostic colon screening again. That is the kind most insurance companies cover, so you could be paying for colonoscopies from then on. 

Can you provide a link to this? I had read it was only that the follow-up colonoscopy would be considered diagnostic, not preventive. That would be the only one you'd pay for that way, until the interval had passed for preventive screening on your plan. 

Unfortunately, my stomach is so out of whack that I throw up the citrate stuff, like not a drop stays down and my body reacts very very badly. So, I do a cologuard thing every couple of years and pay out of pocket. 

The last time that they tried the prep for a colonoscopy, I ended up on iv's for dehydration. So I hope no one here has that going on, and you can do them relatively easily. Dh came through his just fine so did my brother.  But my mom, sister, and I all get so sick that they have given up on us. Sis is the worst, and I wonder if her celiac disease might be a factor. 

It would be nice if we could get our insurance to pay for cologuard as routine since I can't do the prep. Seems like they should have to, but this country, Oy. Meanwhile in France, my sister has no issues at all. Her doctor orders the stool test, and it is covered. No questions.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Alicia64 said:

This is the most amazing news! Thank you for sharing.  My first colonoscopy was rough. The night before, as I was drinking that awful stuff, I started vomiting. The next day appoint. was set for noon, and I kept telling staff "Um, I'm still eliminating." Nobody listened. I was too out of it to be assertive. When I woke up the dr. said he only saw thirty percent.

But I remember telling the anesthesia nurse when I was on the table, "I'm still eliminating."

What are the pills called?

And thank you! And I'm so sorry @Farrar about your friend. I'm calling for an appoint. thanks to you and her on Monday morning. 

Not sure as I can't remember...but ask.  The doc said they just came out this spring.  I did have a $35 copay but that was ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Unfortunately, my stomach is so out of whack that I throw up the citrate stuff, like not a drop stays down and my body reacts very very badly.

I've had a lot of preps (unfortunately) and the mag citrate was the only stuff I couldn't drink or keep down.  

47 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I've had a lot of preps (unfortunately) and the mag citrate was the only stuff I couldn't drink or keep down.  

Ya, that stuff is rough! I wonder if I would be able to keep the pills down. But then again IV starts are VERY hard on me. I end up being a pin cushion and that makes me uptight which does not help the stomach stuff. I have a panic attack now so probably I just need to stick to cologuard and hope I never need a colonoscopy follow up. Crossing fingers because no one on either side of my genetic history has had colon cancer. Heart disease galore in the males, women seem to get type 2. I always have beautiful AIC (when they can get them because again, pin cushion and sometimes 8 or 9 sticks later I just leave because my anxiety begins ramping up) beautiful because I and so careful with diet and am trying to be a more active, outdoorsy person and the walking, hiking, swimming, etc. appears to be working.

What size are the pills? I have a little scarring in my esophagus so big tablets don't go down, but small pills and some gel caps are just fine.

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

But then again IV starts are VERY hard on me.

Same.  I have tiny veins that collapse.  Sometimes they use baby needles on me and they still don't work.  I've had anesthesiology called to try to start an IV in my ankle before.  With one of my surgeries, the whole team was ready and waiting while the poor nurse was still trying to get a vein.  She was so sweet and didn't want to hurt me but I could tell she was so stressed as everyone was getting impatient waiting on her.  She had all kinds of heated washcloths on my wrists trying to get the veins pop.  I always cringe when I know an IV has to get started because I know it's not going to be fun for anyone.  

And IVs are even tough with colonoscopies (and surgeries) because you're already dehydrated to start.  

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Kassia said:

And IVs are even tough with colonoscopies (and surgeries) because you're already dehydrated to start.  

This makes me nervous. Is there any way to avoid dehydration? I know that you have to clear out your bowel but that doesn't necessarily have to mean dehydration, does it?  My blood pressure tanks when I get dehydrated and I pass out.  

On 8/29/2021 at 7:09 PM, City Mouse said:

For those who might be squeamish about a colonoscopy, the at home tests for colon cancer screening are considered good for people who are in “low risk” category. My medical provider is encouraging the at home tests because she says that even though the accuracy is lower than a colonoscopy, the compliance, or participation, rate is so much better.

Husband and I receive test kits in the post every two years to complete at home and mail back for analysis. 

13 hours ago, scholastica said:

Can you provide a link to this? I had read it was only that the follow-up colonoscopy would be considered diagnostic, not preventive. That would be the only one you'd pay for that way, until the interval had passed for preventive screening on your plan. 

You should check with your insurance company. I'm sure it varies.  

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2019/12/14/cologuard-cancer-screening-can-impact-insurance-coverage-colonoscopy/4356936002/

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, cintinative said:

This makes me nervous. Is there any way to avoid dehydration? I know that you have to clear out your bowel but that doesn't necessarily have to mean dehydration, does it?  My blood pressure tanks when I get dehydrated and I pass out.  

I think drinking sports drinks (or anything with electrolytes) while on the clear liquid diet for prep should help.  But the prep itself causes fluid loss I think plus not being able to drink anything for hours before the procedure because of the anesthesia/sedation involved.  Definitely check with your doctor.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kassia said:

I think drinking sports drinks (or anything with electrolytes) while on the clear liquid diet for prep should help.  But the prep itself causes fluid loss I think plus not being able to drink anything for hours before the procedure because of the anesthesia/sedation involved.  Definitely check with your doctor.  

Dh's prep kit included packets of gatorade to mix with the miralax. 

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 2