Menu

Counting "mississipply" and kid culture

(reference to the cringey episode of Friends where Ross get the spray tan because he counts "mississipply") 

DD has never heard of counting Mississippi for seconds. I guess that's not a thing kids do anymore? 

I've noticed that kids don't sing things like, "and many more on channel 4" or "and Mr. Magoo on channel 2" (I'm really dating myself here, aren't I) at the end of the birthday song. Kids probably don't know about TV channels. Kids around here chant, "cha cha cha" in between stanzas in the birthday song and the end chant, "hi-ya, pizza, stick your head in hot lava...eat more chicken!" (i probably have the order of that wrong.) Except that's not allowed at school. Not sure what the problem with "cha cha cha" is. 

They do some of the things we did like "one potato, two potato" and Rock, Paper, Scissors. I've also heard "bubblegum bubblegum in a dish..." I taught DD, "my mother and your mother were out hanging up clothes. My mother punched your mother right in the nose. What color was the blood?" 

I've never seen any little girls doing handclap songs like we did as little girls. One was "see see see best friends come out and play with me..." We subbed this instead. "See see see enemies, come out and fight with me, and bring your pistols three..." 

They don't know "Mine eyes have seen the glory of the burning of the school." 

DD learned, "jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg..." at school. She also also learned the extra verses to Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer at school. Of course they get in trouble if they sing the extra verses just like we did in school back in the day. DD knows, "like George Washington!" at the end. I never taught her what we sang, "like Adolf Hitler!" and "like strip poker!" 

What "kid culture" things do you see your kids do that you remember from childhood? 

Do your kids chant the "hi-ya, pizza, stick your head in hot lava!" thing? 

Well I’ve only heard a couple of your examples, so it’s definitely not just “ kids these days”. Lol. Counting Mississippi, the Batman/Robin thing and playing Rock Paper Scissors are the only three I’m familiar with (born early 70’s).

DS never said or played *any* of those things, fwiw, but he does know what tv channels are. Lol

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

My mom sang that one! 

She also taught me:

"Glory, Glory hallelujah!

teacher hit me with a ruler

knocked her on her bean with a rotten tangerine,

and truth goes marching on!"

Lol

• Like 3

Lots of these examples are alive and well in different forms. My girls play handclap games a lot (“See see my playmate”; something about a button and an elephant). One daughter learned “M-I-crooked letter” and I had to tell her the “humpback” wasn’t a nice name.  

They play a category game called “no repeats or hesitations” They also play a finger game called “sticks”.  

My middle daughter knows all of the cats cradle string game. 

I’ve never heard your two channel references and I was born in the 80s. 

• Like 3

My kids thought I made up the eeny meeny miny mo rhyme ending; the one that goes “my mommy told me to pick the very best one, and you are not it, you dirty dirty dishrag you!”

Kids on the bus also no longer chant rude things out the windows to walkers like “….(God made rivers….) U. G. L. Y. You ain’t got no alibi…” 

So that’s not a bad thing to lose. 

• Like 1

Okay I sang the “my mother and your mother hanging up clothes…what color was the blood” a couple years ago to my kids and neighbor kids. My own teens thought I had lost my mind and the neighbor tweens were horrified I was suggesting punching their mom. 

I am relieved to hear someone else knows that one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For anyone interested in the really old school stuff, Iona and Peter Opie spent their careers documenting this sort of culture in England - especially for rhymes and jump rope songs and so forth. And there's a big overlap to American rhymes. You'll recognize some of the ones they collected. Also, The Lore and Language of Schoolchildren is an interesting read into the why of this stuff and how it's important culturally.

I was mildly obsessed with clapping rhymes as a tween and had a notebook where I wrote them down. I knew a lot of verses to the Miss Susie rhyme and a bunch of variations that I learned from cousins and kids at summer camps and so forth.

With my own kids, I see it mostly in games - sometimes ones I never played as a kid like Sticks and Concentration 64. The other day, I was at the National Gallery with one of my boys and there were a couple of bored kids on one of the sofas furiously playing sticks surrounded by a room of Monets that their parents and grandparents were enjoying and I was definitely taken back to my kids' youths.

• Like 3

I taught my dc a bunch of rhymes and songs from my childhood.  I remember using the "Great green gobs of greasy, grimy gopher guts" song to explain alliteration one day while a plumber was here.  He probably thought I was crazy.

3 hours ago, Kanin said:

When I was a kid instead of "knocked her on the bean..."  that ended with "met her at the door with a Colt .44 and there ain't no teacher no more."

Edited by klmama
  • Like 4

I've never heard of "like channel 4", or "Mr. Magoo . . "
Never head of the "my mother" . . .  (and believe me, my kids would have heard from me if they did.!)

Never did anything between stanza's of "Happy Birthday"   (I've heard a few older adults do "cha - cha - cha")

I might have heard the bubblegum one a few times, never did it.

My kids don't do any of the above, and they never did the ones I did:

- row row row your boat - ha ha fooled you, I'm a submarine"  (which I can't not stop myself defaulting too if I hear it.)

They do rock paper scissors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

Well I’ve only heard a couple of your examples, so it’s definitely not just “ kids these days”. Lol. Counting Mississippi, the Batman/Robin thing and playing Rock Paper Scissors are the only three I’m familiar with (born early 70’s).

DS never said or played *any* of those things, fwiw, but he does know what tv channels are. Lol

Me too.  At least half of the things you said, I have never heard of.  

My kids don't know a lot of those things.  Or they have forgotten them.  Before covid they did more of those type of things with friends at dance.  But they have kind of faded away.  Which I am fine with.  I was getting annoyed at the constant flossing.  🙂    I am sure those will pick back up as they are around kids and don't have to social distance from them too.  

• Like 2

I don't have kids at home but I haven't heard my grandchildren sing any of the old rhymes. I'll have to ask dss or ddil because now I'm curious. 

Besides counting Mississippi there's also counting one thousand. Also, sometimes we said the full Mississippi and sometimes we said Miss'ippi. When playing hide and seek it had to be specified you had to do the full count. No Miss'ippi lol. Kids who regularly couldn't be trusted were told to count one thousand instead. It's harder to cheat that one. 

I recognize some of the ones posted but not all. We didn't chant anything at the end of the birthday song other than sometimes "and many more". Never heard the mothers punching in the nose or bubble gum ones. It was common to add on to eeny meeny miney mo to get it to the person you want to choose. The clapping rhyme I did most with my friends was Miss Mary Mack. When I look up the lyrics they're often different from the ones we said.

At the end of the school year we sang:

No more pencils no more books
No more teacher's dirty looks

3 hours ago, Kanin said:

Glory, Glory hallelujah!

We used to sing that one too. I forgot about it until you posted.

1 hour ago, Paige said:

U. G. L. Y. You ain’t got no alibi…” 

Football fans in the stands at the high school where I taught used to chant that one to the other team. I graduated from that same high school but don't remember us chanting it at the time. It must have come along later.

• Like 2

Now I can't resist.

Miss Susie had a steamboat,
The steamboat had a bell,
Miss Susie went to heaven,
The steamboat went to…

Hello Operator,
Please dial Number 9,
And if you disconnect me,
I’ll chop off your…

Behind the ‘frigerator,
There was a piece of glass,
Miss Susie sat upon it,
And broke her little…

Ask me no more questions,
Tell me no more lies,
The boys are in the bathroom,
Pulling down their…

Flies are in the backyard,
The bees are in the park,
Miss Susie and her boyfriend are kissing
In the D-A-R-K, D-A-R-K, D-A-R-K, dark, dark dark

and...

Miss Susie had a baby
She named him Tiny Tim
She put him in the bathtub
To see if he could swim

He drank up all the water
He ate up all the soap
He would've ate the bathtub
But it wouldn't go down his throat

Miss Susie called the doctor
The doctor call the nurse
The nurse, she called the lady
with the alligator purse

Penicillin said the doctor
Tylenol said the nurse
Pizza said the lady
with the alligator purse

Miss Susie gave him peaches
Miss Susie gave him pears
Miss Susie gave him 50 cents
And sent him up the stairs

My father was born in England
My mother was born in France
I was born in diapers
Because I had no underpants 

It's so pointless what's stuck in one's head.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Kanin said:

My mom sang that one! 

She also taught me:

Lol

LOL. That's a different version than we sang. 

Glory, Glory hallelujah!

teacher hit me with the ruler

met her at the bank with a loaded army tank,

and she ain't my teacher no more!

59 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I don't have kids at home but I haven't heard my grandchildren sing any of the old rhymes. I'll have to ask dss or ddil because now I'm curious. 

Besides counting Mississippi there's also counting one thousand. Also, sometimes we said the full Mississippi and sometimes we said Miss'ippi. When playing hide and seek it had to be specified you had to do the full count. No Miss'ippi lol. Kids who regularly couldn't be trusted were told to count one thousand instead. It's harder to cheat that one. 

I recognize some of the ones posted but not all. We didn't chant anything at the end of the birthday song other than sometimes "and many more". Never heard the mothers punching in the nose or bubble gum ones. It was common to add on to eeny meeny miney mo to get it to the person you want to choose. The clapping rhyme I did most with my friends was Miss Mary Mack. When I look up the lyrics they're often different from the ones we said.

We used to sing that one too. I forgot about it until you posted.

Football fans in the stands at the high school where I taught used to chant that one to the other team. I graduated from that same high school but don't remember us chanting it at the time. It must have come along later.

I remember Miss Mary Mack. 

"Miss Mary Mack Mack Mack,

all dressed in black, black, black,

with buttons all down down down

all down her back back back..."

That's all I remember. 

We would count Mississippi by saying the word and then by spelling it too. That was how we all learned how to spell Mississippi. 

Alas, my daughter does not know how to spell Mississippi because they don't count with Mississippi. 

I googled but couldn't find an origin story. 

I also remembering counting with "one thousand." 

One one thousand,

two one thousand,

three one thousand...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paige said:

My kids thought I made up the eeny meeny miny mo rhyme ending; the one that goes “my mommy told me to pick the very best one, and you are not it, you dirty dirty dishrag you!”

Kids on the bus also no longer chant rude things out the windows to walkers like “….(God made rivers….) U. G. L. Y. You ain’t got no alibi…” 

So that’s not a bad thing to lose. 

One change in our family is that DD has never ridden the bus to and from school so she's missed out on "bus culture."

We used to do things like raise your feet when we drove over a bridge, or touch a screw when we drove over RR tracks. We had this thing where we would hold our breathe when we drove by the cemetery. "It's not polite to breathe when others can't." 

I need to ask DD if she's ever sang the bottles of beer song. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I remember Miss Mary Mack. 

"Miss Mary Mack Mack Mack,

all dressed in black, black, black,

with buttons all down down down

all down her back back back..."

Ours went like this -

Miss Mary Mack, Mack, Mack
All dressed in black, black, black
She asked her mother mother mother
For fifty cents, cents, cents.
To see the elephants, elephants, elephants
Jump over the fence, fence, fence
They jumped so high, high, high
They didn't come back, back, back
Till the fourth of July, lie, lie

Of course there were complicated clapping rhythms where you crossed yourself, slapped your thighs, then slapped each others palms crosswise. You tried to go faster and faster without messing up as you went through they rhyme. If either of you messed up even a little bit you had to start over. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Now I can't resist.

I'm in red. I don't remember your second one but this is ours, with some differences.

The steamboat went to…

Hello Operator,
Please dial Number 9, (Give me Number 9)
I’ll chop off your… (I'll kick you in your...)

Behind the ‘frigerator,
Miss Susie sat upon it,
And broke her little…

Tell me no more lies,
The boys are in the bathroom,
Pulling down their… there're

Flies in the buttermilk
Shoo, fly, shoo!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

LOL. That's a different version than we sang. 

Glory, Glory hallelujah!

teacher hit me with the ruler

met her at the bank with a loaded army tank,

and she ain't my teacher no more!

Ha! So inappropriate, but I love the lyrics. 

• Like 1

My kids used to count to 100.. 1, 2, sikp a few, 99, 100. They also played Pterodactyl and spoons and My Cows. They have different games and sayings than we did. 

I can remember saying one saying that I won't repeat because I'm embarrassed I ever said it and it's very rude and might trigger people. Some of the things I said in the 70's and 80's wouldn't be acceptable today. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

I can remember saying one saying that I won't repeat because I'm embarrassed I ever said it and it's very rude and might trigger people. Some of the things I said in the 70's and 80's wouldn't be acceptable today. 

I wonder if this has a lot to do with it as well as the fact that singing something like, meeting the teacher at the door with a Colt '44 would be a big no-no at school. I know some kids couldn't keep from singing that at school if they knew it--they just don't have much of a filter, so maybe parents try to be sure they just don't learn it. 

I know my kids missed quite a few because they didn't do things that triggered those memories; for instance, the OT completely gave up on them learning to jump rope, so I didn't really think about a lot of the songs for that. 

I wonder if a lot of it is that instead of picking things up from the "big kids," which is often how I learned stuff. A lot of kids are with other kids the same age and/or more supervised with older kids, but when I was little, there was more of a mix in both neighborhoods and families (larger families). Also, some of the games are for boredom, like waiting somewhere, as another OP said. Now we have fidgets, busy bags, phones, etc. for being bored.

I know a lot of the stuff in this thread, but not much from the OP. There are so many corrupt Christmas carols, lol! 

• Like 3

Does anyone know P.I. Pickle-eye? I can't remember it very well at all. I think it was one that I heard other kids do, but I never caught all the words. 

Oh, google tells me a bit...this is consistent with how the one I heard started, but none of the endings are even close to what I've heard.

https://www.nurseryrhymes.org/i-went-to-a-chinese-restaurant.html

So, another one that is or could be racist. 

As pieces slowly come back, I think our version ended with some kind of pow (gun fingers) and ow (pinch someone). Nice stuff, lol!

Edited by kbutton
  • Like 1

http://www.inthe80s.com/rhymes.shtml

Another repository, some of which is familiar.

Did anyone else sing the writing from camp song that started, Hello Mudda, Hello, Fatha, I've been smokin' marijuana? I think my kids know that one. 

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

And the second verse,

No more Latin, no more French

No more sitting on a cold hard bench

(We did Latin and French, but we had chairs.)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Did anyone else sing the writing from camp song that started, Hello Mudda, Hello, Fatha, I've been smokin' marijuana? I think my kids know that one. 

I know the Hello Mudda song but didn't know the part about smoking marijuana. 

Speaking of inappropriate, we used to do the game where you would ring the doorbell and run away. We called it the n-word knocking. Then in college, we did to other girls on the floor and called it literally the "n-word knocking." DH grew up in the Chicago suburbs and they did not call it the n-word. 

53 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I know the Hello Mudda song but didn't know the part about smoking marijuana. 

Speaking of inappropriate, we used to do the game where you would ring the doorbell and run away. We called it the n-word knocking. Then in college, we did to other girls on the floor and called it literally the "n-word knocking." DH grew up in the Chicago suburbs and they did not call it the n-word. 

I don't think we had a name for this behavior, and I never heard it called that. 

• Like 2

Just now, kbutton said:

I don't think we had a name for this behavior, and I never heard it called that. 

I thought everyone called it ding-dong ditch. Nobody plays that anymore and it’s probably better that way. Nobody TPs houses anymore either. I actually saw a house with tp on it for the first time in years and years. It was a pathetic attempt. Lol!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Katy said:

I haven’t heard most of these.  

Yeah, musta missed me. I have never heard the term "counting Mississippi." We did add that word when counting to 10 for hide & seek but never called it anything that I know of.

My eldest learned the card game ERS when she went to math camp. 'Cept they had an extra handslap rule I didn't learn. She beats me when we play her rule & I win handily when we play without that rule. I learned the game st camp as Egyptian Rat Screw (and we had another name but it is escaping ne now), so getting it down to just initials amused me. 

Most of my kids can't sing the actual ending of the alphabet song (now I know my ABCs...) so I'm probably a horrible mother...

Ours went like this -

They reached the sky, sky, sky

Of course there were complicated clapping rhythms where you crossed yourself, slapped your thighs, then slapped each others palms crosswise. You tried to go faster and faster without messing up as you went through they rhyme. If either of you messed up even a little bit you had to start over. 

Quoting myself because I left a line out. I knew it didn't sound right and then it hit me. I added it in red.

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

I wonder if this has a lot to do with it as well as the fact that singing something like, meeting the teacher at the door with a Colt '44 would be a big no-no at school. I know some kids couldn't keep from singing that at school if they knew it--they just don't have much of a filter, so maybe parents try to be sure they just don't learn it. 

I was trying to remember and still can't, but in the No more teacher song I'm pretty sure we had something about guns. It's not what anyone else posted but we did have some version of it. It would be completely inappropriate and not funny today though. It was only funny when the idea of bringing a gun to school and shooting someone was ludicrous. 😢

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

It was actually a novelty song from, I think the 1960s. It went Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda, Here I am at Camp Granada. I don't know the rest but I remember my parents hearing it on the radio and laughing about it. 

Found it. This from Wikipedia is interesting. It's apparently culturally significant. 😂 That article is the first I've heard about Leonard Skinner/Leonard Skinner. I was a fan back in the day (yeah, I'm that old) and always heard the story about how the name was a slightly changed version of their PE teacher's name.

"Allan based the lyrics on letters of complaint which he received from his son Robert who was attending Camp Champlain, a summer camp in WestportNew York."

In 2020, the song was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the National Recording Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". The song's mention of "Leonard Skinner," a boy at the camp who "got ptomaine poisoning last night after dinner," was an inspiration for the name of the band Lynyrd Skynyrd, although the band's name was also inspired by a physical education instructor of the same name.

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Speaking of inappropriate, we used to do the game where you would ring the doorbell and run away. 

Ding Dong Ditch

49 minutes ago, Paige said:

I thought everyone called it ding-dong ditch. Nobody plays that anymore and it’s probably better that way. Nobody TPs houses anymore either. I actually saw a house with tp on it for the first time in years and years. It was a pathetic attempt. Lol!

Yeah, with front door cameras it's almost impossible to play it anymore anyway. 🙂 Ds never heard of TP'ing houses and thought it was stupid when dh and I told him about it. He's not wrong. Last year there were memes about it during the world wide tp shortage.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

(reference to the cringey episode of Friends where Ross get the spray tan because he counts "mississipply") 

DD has never heard of counting Mississippi for seconds. I guess that's not a thing kids do anymore? 

I've noticed that kids don't sing things like, "and many more on channel 4" or "and Mr. Magoo on channel 2" (I'm really dating myself here, aren't I) at the end of the birthday song. Kids probably don't know about TV channels. Kids around here chant, "cha cha cha" in between stanzas in the birthday song and the end chant, "hi-ya, pizza, stick your head in hot lava...eat more chicken!" (i probably have the order of that wrong.) Except that's not allowed at school. Not sure what the problem with "cha cha cha" is. 

They do some of the things we did like "one potato, two potato" and Rock, Paper, Scissors. I've also heard "bubblegum bubblegum in a dish..." I taught DD, "my mother and your mother were out hanging up clothes. My mother punched your mother right in the nose. What color was the blood?" 

I've never seen any little girls doing handclap songs like we did as little girls. One was "see see see best friends come out and play with me..." We subbed this instead. "See see see enemies, come out and fight with me, and bring your pistols three..." 

DD learned, "jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg..." at school. She also also learned the extra verses to Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer at school. Of course they get in trouble if they sing the extra verses just like we did in school back in the day. DD knows, "like George Washington!" at the end. I never taught her what we sang, "like Adolf Hitler!" and "like strip poker!" 

What "kid culture" things do you see your kids do that you remember from childhood? 

Do your kids chant the "hi-ya, pizza, stick your head in hot lava!" thing? 

I'm familiar with counting 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi.  Kids I know seem to county 1 thousand and 1, 1 thousand and 2, etc.

Other than that, I'm familiar with One potato, two potato and Rock Paper Scissors (lizard spock) and bubble gum, bubble gum but none of your other examples except the Mine eyes....burning school.

12 hours ago, Kanin said:

My mom sang that one! 

She also taught me:

Lol

I remember that one!

9 hours ago, klmama said:

I taught my dc a bunch of rhymes and songs from my childhood.  I remember using the "Great green gobs of greasy, grimy gopher guts" song to explain alliteration one day while a plumber was here.  He probably thought I was crazy.

When I was a kid instead of "knocked her on the bean..."  that ended with "met her at the door with a Colt .44 and there ain't no teacher no more."

We did "great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts, concentrated monkey meat, mutilated birdie feet,  great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts and I forgot my spoon, so we had piss, pot, puss on top, eyeball swimming in a pool of blood, something/something/something, and I forgot my spoon" 

7 hours ago, Farrar said:

Now I can't resist.

The steamboat went to…

Hello Operator,
Please dial Number 9,     "Please give me Number 9"
I’ll chop off your…

Behind the ‘frigerator,
Miss Susie sat upon it,
And broke her little…

Tell me no more lies,
The boys are in the bathroom,  The boys are in the girls room
Pulling down their…

Flies are in the backyard,  Flies are in the city
The bees are in the park,
Miss Susie and her boyfriend are kissing    They boys and girls are kissing
In the D-A-R-K, D-A-R-K, D-A-R-K, dark, dark dark

Mine is almost the same, with a few minor variations.

6 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Ours went like this -

We did that one exactly the same. 

4 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Also, we all loved the "We don't need no education" song. It was always requested at the skating rink. It was forbidden at school. 

Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2.

Ding Dong Ditch

Yeah, with front door cameras it's almost impossible to play it anymore anyway. 🙂 Ds never heard of TP'ing houses and thought it was stupid when dh and I told him about it. He's not wrong. Last year there were memes about it during the world wide tp shortage.

We had some kids doing it recently that got caught because of a front door camera.  You can hear them saying "oh no, they have a camera, well it's too late now".  Clearly not the sharpest tools. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kanin said:

The version we sang went, “met her at the door with a loaded 44 and she ain’t my teacher no more.”

We also sang, “Oh, I wish I was a little piece of glass, Oh I wish I was a little piece of glass. I’d cutty and I’d cutty and make everybody bloody. Oh I wish I was a little piece of glass. Oh I wish I was a little bar of soap. Oh, I wish I was a little bar of soap. I’d slidy and I’d slidy over everybody’s heinie. Oh I wish I was a little bar of soap.” 

and

”Oh, I had a little chicken and she wouldn’t lay an egg, so I poured hot water up and down her leg, oh the chicken she cried and the chicken she begged and the chicken she laid a hard boiled egg.”

Sometimes to choose who was out, we’d sing, “Wire, briar, limber, lock, three geese in a flock. One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest. O U T spells out goes he, you old dirty dishrag you.”

Also hand clapping song,

”Say say old playmate, come out and play with my. Climb up my apple tree. And bring your dollies three. Shout down my rain barrel, swing on my cellar door, and we’ll be jolly friends forever more.”

Edited by Amy Gen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Also, we all loved the "We don't need no education" song. It was always requested at the skating rink. It was forbidden at school. 

My senior year English teacher played this for the first day of class every year and we had to discuss whether education was all that important or not. 

• Like 1

Who remembers:

The littlest worm, the littlest worm
I ever saw, I ever saw
Was stuck inside, was stuck inside
My soda straw, my soda straw
The littlest worm I ever saw, was stuck inside my soda straw

He said to me, he said to me
Don't take a sip, don't take a sip
For if you do, for if you do
I'll surely flip, I'll surely flip
He said to me, don't take a sip, for if you do I'll surely flip

I took a sip, I took a sip
And he went down, and he went down
Down through my pipes, down through my pipes
He must of drowned, He must of drowned
I took a sip and he went down, down through my pipes he must have drowned

Or

I caught myself a baby bumblebee, won't my mommy be so proud of me, I caught myself a baby bumblebee (singing while holding hands together)

Ow, he stung me!

I'm mushing up my baby bumblebee, won't my mommy be so proud of me, I'm mushing up my baby bumblebee (while pushing hands together)

Oh, what a mess!

I'm licking up my baby bumblebee, won't my mommy be so proud of me, I'm licking up my baby bumblebee (while pretending to lick hands)

I feel sick!

I'm puking up my baby bumblebee, won't my mommy be so proud of me, I'm puking up my baby bumblebee (while bending over pretending to be sick)

Bye bye baby bumblebee

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

We did "great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts, concentrated monkey meat, mutilated birdie feet,  great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts and I forgot my spoon, so we had piss, pot, puss on top, eyeball swimming in a pool of blood, something/something/something, and I forgot my spoon" 

That paints quite the picture! 😂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Paige said:

My house has been TP'ed more than once. There's also a local high school that TP's the houses of all the girls who make the volleyball team. I'm sure doorbell cameras make less of a surprise, but the parents still seem to think it's a big deal to get the team TP since they all post it on social media.

• Like 2

I assume this is from WWII but it was still being sung when I was a kid in the Sixties. Macabre humour alert:

He jumped from 40 thousand and forgot to pull the cord

And he ain't gonna jump no more

Glory, glory what a hell of a way to die, etc.

They scraped him off the runway like a pot of strawberry jam, etc

• Like 1

My kids don't really play games where they choose teams. That's where we (in my childhood) always used "one potato, two potato" or "bubble gum, bubble gum in a dish" or "engine engine number nine."

I remember Miss Mary Mack. And "The Lady with the Alligator Purse." https://nancymusic.com/SOM/2017/lady-with-the-alligator-purse.pdf

I tried to teach a few of these to my kids when they were little...but so many of the rhymes are so violent, lol, and I had sensitive kids. 😄

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 8:45 PM, Wheres Toto said:

Who remembers:

The littlest worm, the littlest worm
I ever saw, I ever saw
Was stuck inside, was stuck inside
My soda straw, my soda straw
The littlest worm I ever saw, was stuck inside my soda straw

He said to me, he said to me
Don't take a sip, don't take a sip
For if you do, for if you do
I'll surely flip, I'll surely flip
He said to me, don't take a sip, for if you do I'll surely flip

I took a sip, I took a sip
And he went down, and he went down
Down through my pipes, down through my pipes
He must of drowned, He must of drowned
I took a sip and he went down, down through my pipes he must have drowned

Or

I caught myself a baby bumblebee, won't my mommy be so proud of me, I caught myself a baby bumblebee (singing while holding hands together)

Ow, he stung me!

I'm mushing up my baby bumblebee, won't my mommy be so proud of me, I'm mushing up my baby bumblebee (while pushing hands together)

Oh, what a mess!

I'm licking up my baby bumblebee, won't my mommy be so proud of me, I'm licking up my baby bumblebee (while pretending to lick hands)

I feel sick!

I'm puking up my baby bumblebee, won't my mommy be so proud of me, I'm puking up my baby bumblebee (while bending over pretending to be sick)

Bye bye baby bumblebee

I know both of those!! My dad taught me the littlest worm but I never heard anyone else sing it.  I’m going to have to remember to ask him about it…I always loved it (and I completely forgot about it). 

I don’t remember where I learned the baby bumblebee song, but I think I thought that one to my kids. I’ll have to ask them. 

• Like 1