Menu

Coffee maker--need reviews

kbutton

I am looking for a coffee maker, probably one that has a full pot but can also brew a travel-sized mug. We don't use K-cups on the regular, so I would want the travel mug capability to not require disposable cups (but it's fine if it's compatible with them--someone might get a craving for Jr. Mint cups or something like that).

We already have an espresso pot and a french press.

We seem to find only reeeaaally slooooow brewing coffee makers, almost as if it's a hobby to collect them. 

We're looking at this Hamilton Beech one, but we'd like some feedback. https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-49976-Single-Serve-Programmable/dp/B06Y2WCHDV

https://www.samsclub.com/p/ninja-specialty-coffee-maker/prod23550437?pid=ps_acq_Google_PLA_11712770558&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=482460379624&wl4=pla-457355190663&wl5=9015622&wl6=&wl7=&wl9=pla&wl10=1247713&wl11=local&wl12={productid}&wl13=8132&wl15=119074120492&wl16=&wl17=&wl18=&wl19=&wl20=Cj0KCQjwvaeJBhCvARIsABgTDM4eTnts8Sjo_mWFYfZDVemqdN01vyt7Ic8t5YnMIs-BFCHiq0BC0dUaAhtXEALw_wcB&wl23=457355190663&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvaeJBhCvARIsABgTDM4eTnts8Sjo_mWFYfZDVemqdN01vyt7Ic8t5YnMIs-BFCHiq0BC0dUaAhtXEALw_wcB

Also looking at this one.

23 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I don't have that one, but I've had this Ninja coffee maker for almost three years and I puffy heart love it. It won't fit your needs since you want something that can brew a single cup, but just wanted to chime in and say that whenever this one dies I'll almost certainly get another Ninja. I've had Hamilton Beach drip coffee makers in the past, and none have been anywhere near the quality of the Ninja.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I don't have that one, but I've had this Ninja coffee maker for almost three years and I puffy heart love it. It won't fit your needs since you want something that can brew a single cup, but just wanted to chime in and say that whenever this one dies I'll almost certainly get another Ninja. I've had Hamilton Beach drip coffee makers in the past, and none have been anywhere near the quality of the Ninja.

It says it can brew a single cup on the description. 

We have this Ninja and it's the happiest purchase I've made. Brews hot and cold, tea and coffee, tea has green, herbal, and black options. There's a frother! You can make 1 small cup, 1 large cup, travel mug, xl travel mug, half carafe, or full carafe. It is amazing. So much love for the Ninja.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FX73Y7H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

We have this Ninja and it's the happiest purchase I've made. Brews hot and cold, tea and coffee, tea has green, herbal, and black options. There's a frother! You can make 1 small cup, 1 large cup, travel mug, xl travel mug, half carafe, or full carafe. It is amazing. So much love for the Ninja.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FX73Y7H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dang.  I want that!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Dang.  I want that!

You really do. We had a coffee maker that we loved, and named Awesom-o for years, and when it died, we went hunting for a replacement. I was going to get the updated version of Awesome-o, but my friend had a Ninja and started sending me videos of her making coffee and tea and lattes with it. Oh, it also has two different filter baskets - tea and coffee and it knows which one you are currently using and automatically gives you options for only tea or coffee, depending. 

I usually make a cup of iced tea mid afternoon, but it was a bit chilly today (finally) and I wanted coffee. Made 1 cup of decaf. No waste, didn't have to drink full caff at 5pm- it was perfect.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

You really do. We had a coffee maker that we loved, and named Awesom-o for years, and when it died, we went hunting for a replacement. I was going to get the updated version of Awesome-o, but my friend had a Ninja and started sending me videos of her making coffee and tea and lattes with it. Oh, it also has two different filter baskets - tea and coffee and it knows which one you are currently using and automatically gives you options for only tea or coffee, depending. 

I usually make a cup of iced tea mid afternoon, but it was a bit chilly today (finally) and I wanted coffee. Made 1 cup of decaf. No waste, didn't have to drink full caff at 5pm- it was perfect.

cf1add68-c86a-4e8d-877b-75b352295a04.jpg

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

So...here is my question - how easy/fast is it to clean the filter? DH likes vanilla coffee, I prefer dark roast unflavored. Are we constantly going to be dealing with washing it out as we alternate cups during the day? Will a quick rinse work or am I going to get flavored coffee flavor in my dark roast? Or can we buy an extra coffee filter?

Does the carafe keep the coffee warm? DH drinks more than I do, so he could make a pot of his, and I could make a cup twice a day (all I drink) of mine. 

He got a bonus at work, and storing all these k-cups is getting a bit crazy, so I'm eyeing this....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

We are strongly considering this one, but the negative reviews (in the minority) pretty consistently mention leaking. Have you ever had a problem with leaking?

• Like 1

That Ninja looks pretty amazing. I would be seriously tempted.

In fact, I’m tempted now, for my mom’s room. Maybe she needs a decaf drink bar? 

Coffee and all things caffeinated are my favorite topics. Alas, we have reached Italian sports car level on our caffeine machine, so it’s not one most people want to hear recommended. That Ninja, though, looks like a winner!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Spryte said:

That Ninja looks pretty amazing. I would be seriously tempted.

In fact, I’m tempted now, for my mom’s room. Maybe she needs a decaf drink bar? 

Coffee and all things caffeinated are my favorite topics. Alas, we have reached Italian sports car level on our caffeine machine, so it’s not one most people want to hear recommended. That Ninja, though, looks like a winner!

My DH's boss managed to get one of those for his office with the caveat that they can all use it. I am not sure how he did it, but it's good for ER people to have good caffeine, lol! 

I am hoping that what we get could replace at least one other machine and send our french press back into storage. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kbutton said:

My DH's boss managed to get one of those for his office with the caveat that they can all use it. I am not sure how he did it, but it's good for ER people to have good caffeine, lol! 

I am hoping that what we get could replace at least one other machine and send our french press back into storage. 

I'm wondering how the coffee "concentrate" compares to a nespresso espresso machine for making lattes/amercanos. Getting the Nespresso off the counter and having just one coffee machine would be nice. Plus I always have a container of cold brew or iced coffee int eh fridge and fridge space is at a premium. Making some at will would be nice. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I'm wondering how the coffee "concentrate" compares to a nespresso espresso machine for making lattes/amercanos. Getting the Nespresso off the counter and having just one coffee machine would be nice. Plus I always have a container of cold brew or iced coffee int eh fridge and fridge space is at a premium. Making some at will would be nice. 

Oh, now I must know … what is coffee concentrate? I could totally go for having cold brew available easily.

We have a Nespresso which is a fun little machine, but I rarely use it. The Moroccan (I think?) pods are my favorite! But we really only have those once a year or so, and it’s not the every day drink of choice, more of a back up.

Our main machine, lovingly called our Italian sports car, is a super automatic espresso machine. It makes excellent espresso and americanos. It’s adjustable so you can fiddle with proportions and heat, but I just find a setting I like and stick with it. We keep a carafe in the fridge and it makes a delicious cappuccino, or you can froth your own milk if you don’t want to use the automatic feature. At one point I was obsessed with perfecting a flat white, so lots of practice making tiny microfoam ensued.  That was fun!  But I’m not fooling myself that anyone else wants to spend that much on a coffee machine. It’s just kind of our thing here, we are crazy coffee people.

20 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Oh, now I must know … what is coffee concentrate? I could totally go for having cold brew available easily.

We have a Nespresso which is a fun little machine, but I rarely use it. The Moroccan (I think?) pods are my favorite! But we really only have those once a year or so, and it’s not the every day drink of choice, more of a back up.

Our main machine, lovingly called our Italian sports car, is a super automatic espresso machine. It makes excellent espresso and americanos. It’s adjustable so you can fiddle with proportions and heat, but I just find a setting I like and stick with it. We keep a carafe in the fridge and it makes a delicious cappuccino, or you can froth your own milk if you don’t want to use the automatic feature. At one point I was obsessed with perfecting a flat white, so lots of practice making tiny microfoam ensued.  That was fun!  But I’m not fooling myself that anyone else wants to spend that much on a coffee machine. It’s just kind of our thing here, we are crazy coffee people.

The concentrate is what that Ninja uses instead of espresso for the recipes. It's super concentrated coffee, I guess, but not espresso. You can make lattes it says, but I'm wondering if it makes a decent americano style drink. Well, iced americano. DS22 uses the nespresso daily for iced lattes, and I use it a few times a week for an iced americano or a regular latte. Wondering if this thing can do similar, as well as the iced tea, hot tea, cold brew, iced coffee, etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, ktgrok said:

The concentrate is what that Ninja uses instead of espresso for the recipes. It's super concentrated coffee, I guess, but not espresso. You can make lattes it says, but I'm wondering if it makes a decent americano style drink. Well, iced americano. DS22 uses the nespresso daily for iced lattes, and I use it a few times a week for an iced americano or a regular latte. Wondering if this thing can do similar, as well as the iced tea, hot tea, cold brew, iced coffee, etc. 

Thanks! I didn’t catch that, but didn’t read closely. It really does look like a good machine. I would want to try the concentrate first. Also, part of the fun of coffee, for me, is tasting different roasts, like wine tasting. Like my favorite has chocolate notes. 🤣

6 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Thanks! I didn’t catch that, but didn’t read closely. It really does look like a good machine. I would want to try the concentrate first. Also, part of the fun of coffee, for me, is tasting different roasts, like wine tasting. Like my favorite has chocolate notes. 🤣

My favorite cold brew does too - Wandering Bear. 

• Like 1

We have the Cuisinart Duo and are happy with it. We needed to be able to brew a full pot because the three of us drink several cups each in the morning. However, sometimes one of us wants coffee later in the day so having the attached k-cup type to it was just what we needed. I don't like using k-cups because even though they're supposedly recyclable my county doesn't accept them. This one (and many k-cup brewers these days) comes with a basket so you can use your own coffee. Ds will sometimes make flavored k-cup coffee but for the most part we just use the basket with our usual coffee. 

I was a little worried because of some of the reviews but I've yet to be disappointed in a Cuisinart product so I took a chance. I've been happy with our choice and haven't had any of the issues named in some reviews.

https://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-SS-15-Coffee-Coffeemaker-Single-Serve/dp/B01KIG4YNO/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2P3KTQ8EF9GKB&dchild=1&keywords=cuisinart+duo+coffee+maker+and+k+cup&qid=1630269898&sprefix=cuisinart+duo%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

So...here is my question - how easy/fast is it to clean the filter? DH likes vanilla coffee, I prefer dark roast unflavored. Are we constantly going to be dealing with washing it out as we alternate cups during the day? Will a quick rinse work or am I going to get flavored coffee flavor in my dark roast? Or can we buy an extra coffee filter?

Does the carafe keep the coffee warm? DH drinks more than I do, so he could make a pot of his, and I could make a cup twice a day (all I drink) of mine. 

He got a bonus at work, and storing all these k-cups is getting a bit crazy, so I'm eyeing this....

It has one of the cone shaped gold mesh type filters. It rinses quickly, but you could wash it quick with a soapy sponge too. I'm pretty lazy and it takes less than 10 sec to clean it. 

And yes - the carafe works really well. Once (or a few times) after a power outage, we forgot to reset the time on the coffee maker, making the morning brew start at like 11pm instead of 530 am. It was still quite hot in the morning. I would say definitely a few hours of very hot, cooling off to warm over the course of the day.

5 hours ago, kbutton said:

We are strongly considering this one, but the negative reviews (in the minority) pretty consistently mention leaking. Have you ever had a problem with leaking?

No - thank goodness! We did with our old cuisinart on occasion. It was Awesome-o's only flaw. Every once in awhile, we'd come downstairs to find a coffee covered counter, which is the saddest thing to see first thing in the morning. Ninja has held strong though - more than a year and no issues. Only occasional user error - like if you think you set it to one cup and accidentally set it to a full carafe and then wonder why there is coffee on the counter. Not that I'd ever do that....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

It has one of the cone shaped gold mesh type filters. It rinses quickly, but you could wash it quick with a soapy sponge too. I'm pretty lazy and it takes less than 10 sec to clean it. 

And yes - the carafe works really well. Once (or a few times) after a power outage, we forgot to reset the time on the coffee maker, making the morning brew start at like 11pm instead of 530 am. It was still quite hot in the morning. I would say definitely a few hours of very hot, cooling off to warm over the course of the day.

No - thank goodness! We did with our old cuisinart on occasion. It was Awesome-o's only flaw. Every once in awhile, we'd come downstairs to find a coffee covered counter, which is the saddest thing to see first thing in the morning. Ninja has held strong though - more than a year and no issues. Only occasional user error - like if you think you set it to one cup and accidentally set it to a full carafe and then wonder why there is coffee on the counter. Not that I'd ever do that....

If it helps, I've managed to twice turn the keurig on only to realize I never put my mug under it. Thankfully it has a "catcher" there that holds a full cup pretty much. So no big mess!

On 8/28/2021 at 8:16 PM, AmandaVT said:

We went with this one, but the Ninja site had a better deal.

It's been a little more than 24 hours, but we are very happy so far. :-) 

• Like 3

On 8/29/2021 at 9:57 PM, ktgrok said:

Ok, the Keurig doesn't make my coffee on a timer...that's an intriguing idea. Except I don't always get up at the same time..hmm..

I keep getting e-mails about the new Smart Keurig.  I'm envisioning a world where I'm lying in bed feeling like I just want to lay there for one minute more, and opening up an app to tell the Keurig to brew me a cup.  I'm trying to figure out how to justify it to DH. We definitely don't need to replace out Keurig.

I see the $200+ coffee maker and raise you... this: https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Coffee-Single-Pour-Over-Brewer/dp/B0014CVEH6/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=14MVO54TN9OKH&dchild=1&keywords=pour+over+melitta&qid=1631015668&sprefix=pourover+mel&sr=8-3

used multiple times a day by different people (we could use the bigger funnel to make a pot but we all use different sorts of beans.) 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I see the $200+ coffee maker and raise you... this: https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Coffee-Single-Pour-Over-Brewer/dp/B0014CVEH6/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=14MVO54TN9OKH&dchild=1&keywords=pour+over+melitta&qid=1631015668&sprefix=pourover+mel&sr=8-3

used multiple times a day by different people (we could use the bigger funnel to make a pot but we all use different sorts of beans.) 

This is what we mostly use.  We have Nespressos at work, because it’s really hard to deal with the mess there with no kitchen type sink, but Melitta cones are our home brew, our camping brew, and our ‘the electricity is out but we still can make coffee’ brew.  It. Just. Never. Fails.  Which is worth a lot when you are addicted, LOL.

Also, although I don’t like coffee that has sat on a burner, coffee that has been reheated to hot but not boiling in a microwave tastes like fresh to me.  So we generally make coffee the night before and that way it’s all ready to zap in the morning.  We call it vintage coffee.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I have the Hario Japanese pour over coffee dripper and have used it for several years and it still makes the best tasting coffee for me (I have a Keurig, a drip coffee machine and also make my own cold brew):

https://www.amazon.com/Hario-Ceramic-Coffee-Dripper-White/dp/B000P4D5HG

Edited by mathnerd

I have various pour over devices--I think four, but I've lost count--a French press, a percolator, and two drip machines. I'm a minimalist, but I make an exception for coffee. 😉 The pour over is probably my favorite in terms of taste, but I have to use about twice as much coffee in it as I do in the Ninja drip machine. Given the amount of coffee I consume I tend to think it doesn't take too long for the cost difference in devices to become a wash. Plus I'm a klutz and none of the pour over devices I have fit really well on my travel mug, so spillage involving very hot water happens too often. And there's the convenience factor. I really like being able to push a couple of buttons, go do something else and come back in a few minutes to fresh, hot coffee. But overall I'm of the opinion that there's no bad way to make coffee. Except instant, which really should be outlawed. 😉 

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 5:03 PM, kbutton said:

I have this one.  It was a gift.  Does anyone know the price off hand?  I didn’t feel like logging in to see the price.  My recommendation would be based on how expensive it is.  It has a frother which is pretty cool.  And single serve including travel mug option.  It doesn’t use pods though.  

7 hours ago, mathnerd said:

I have the Hario Japanese pour over coffee dripper and have used it for several years and it still makes the best tasting coffee for me (I have a Keurig, a drip coffee machine and also make my own cold brew):

https://www.amazon.com/Hario-Ceramic-Coffee-Dripper-White/dp/B000P4D5HG

I have multiple pour over, including one I take traveling (along with a hand mill, obviously). The best coffee. 

• Like 1

Chemex (pour over) is my favorite method.  However, my everyday cup is instant...I'm actually a fan!  We keep a thermos of hot water full all day for tea and instant coffee.  I figure out the exact amount of water to granules and then I can make a perfect cup every time.  (I think the perfect amount is key.  Often people use a "spoonful" in any old mug and it will be too strong or weak.). I think the brand I use is Mount Hagen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, happi duck said:

Chemex (pour over) is my favorite method.  However, my everyday cup is instant...I'm actually a fan!  We keep a thermos of hot water full all day for tea and instant coffee.  I figure out the exact amount of water to granules and then I can make a perfect cup every time.  (I think the perfect amount is key.  Often people use a "spoonful" in any old mug and it will be too strong or weak.). I think the brand I use is Mount Hagen.

Do you use the Chemex filters?  My husband thinks that they take out too much of the flavor.  Others think they make the flavor nicely mellowed compared with Melitta filters.  

Dang you all! I mentioned this thread to DH, and how we don't need a Ninja coffee maker, but he rolled his eyes and said, "get it". I said I might not even like it. HE said, "then we'll return it." I said it was over $200 and he paused, swallowed, and then said, "get it." I then smiled and told him I had enough "points" saved up on my Amazon credit card to buy it without any actual cash and he looked happier, lol. (I did end up spending some, as I bought some filters in case we like it better that way - I like french press for example but he doesn't,and filters may make it faster/easier to switch from his flavored to my dark roast quickly. Plus bought some pumpkin spice coffee and some dark roast. I think I have tea in the house already, need to check. 

Should be here between 5pm and 10pm tonight!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Dang you all! I mentioned this thread to DH, and how we don't need a Ninja coffee maker, but he rolled his eyes and said, "get it". I said I might not even like it. HE said, "then we'll return it." I said it was over $200 and he paused, swallowed, and then said, "get it." I then smiled and told him I had enough "points" saved up on my Amazon credit card to buy it without any actual cash and he looked happier, lol. (I did end up spending some, as I bought some filters in case we like it better that way - I like french press for example but he doesn't,and filters may make it faster/easier to switch from his flavored to my dark roast quickly. Plus bought some pumpkin spice coffee and some dark roast. I think I have tea in the house already, need to check. 

Should be here between 5pm and 10pm tonight!

If cholesterol is a concern, I think I've read that filtered is better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

If cholesterol is a concern, I think I've read that filtered is better.

My brother, who only started drinking coffee very recently--and actually suggested to me as something that gives one a little mental life and sense of energy, which elicited a droll really!? (who are you talking to, pal?) as a response has some concerns about heart health, so I directed him to Chemex.

As someone who loves oily French Press coffee, the taste of Chemex--while we have several Chemex models and filters that we use on occasion--isn't my ultimate style of coffee. Those filter pull out a significant amount of flavors that I deem pleasurable.

My brother is good with the trade off.

Bill

• Like 1

Ok, so the reason I thought the coffee was weak was that the Ninja recommendations use less coffee than standard recommendations! I found this review, and printed up a cheat sheet to put on the refrigerator with the right amounts. The image below will print out as a 4x6 image, I printed it on 4x6 photo paper and stuck some peel and stick magnets on the back. 

https://beanhoppers.com/blogs/equipment-reviews/a-great-single-cup-brewing-option-ninja-coffeemaker-review

Coffee Ratio.jpeg

Edited by ktgrok