Menu

Curious have you been home schooling all along or when did you start?

So I've home schooled my kids through out the years for various reasons.  The highest grade has been 7.  My oldest 3 all went to the same high school with over 500 in their graduating class.  My youngest is now in 10th grade and although is doing okay corona and being with 1500 students all day isn't going well with her.  We decided to bring her home and although she liked her classes the relief on her face said it all.   I have curriculum ordered, cover school set we just need to officially with draw her.   There's no going back.   Wish us luck.

Edited by lynn
  • Like 10

Good luck! And -- enjoy going the rest of the way in the homeschool journey!

We homeschooled both of our DSs starting with 1st & 2nd grades, and went all the way through 12th grade/graduation. It was great! We were blessed with being able to participate in the big local homeschool support group that had lots of activities. Plus DSs were able to play varsity tennis with the local public high school team, and do several other community-based activities/groups. And, we were able to have them try new things, have time for their interests, and even got to create some courses that supported their interests. Not to mention the great family trips and special times together that developed solid relationships, and made wonderful memories.

Have fun making the most of these next few years! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

My oldest was in a public school for K. Long story, but a really bad year, and so for his 1st grade and my youngest's K year we started homeschooling and remarkably, we are still at it (9th and 10th grade). Never in a million years would I have believed that I would be doing this, or could do this, but God equips the called, and I do feel called to it.  It's not for everyone, but I enjoy it a lot.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 5

My older two homeschooled all along from K on, for the most part, except for a year of full time public high school for one daughter. Both utilized the school for random classes too and did some dual enrollment at the college. Youngest homeschooled from K-4, then was a happy public school student starting in 5th grade. Surprisingly, she decided to return to homeschool last year for 11th. She has used the school for some classes (German and band)

• Like 4

• lynn changed the title to Curious have you been home schooling all along or when did you start?

I started homeschooling my twins in K and they have started 11th grade!  I didn't have any doubts until making a decision about 9th grade, but we went forward anyway.  Then Covid happened and I felt like God had put this plan in motion so many years ago to prepare me for this moment 😁!  Not a single doubt in my mind anymore! 

• Like 7

We started when ds "graduated" from Early Intervention when he was 4.  He's now 16 and a Junior, and dd is 14 and a Freshman.  We plan to go through the end.   

So far we haven't done many outside classes.  No DE or anything.  Ds did one Coursera course but didn't finish (it changed midstream and he would have to start over), and we live in a state that doesn't really offer using the public school resources.  We've done TKD, bowling, gymnastics, etc. and they do my science classes but that's about it.  

• Like 6

My Oldest went to a tiny private school for K-1 (we joking referred to it as a one-room schoolhouse - there were 2 kids in his grade). Then to Public school 2-12.

Middle went to K-8 Public school and we decided to homeschool a few weeks into 9th.

Youngest did public school K-5. Is currently in 11th and has homeschooled 6+.

• Like 5

My 11th grade Dd has been homeschooled since K. We have outsourced some, with classes at a local tutorial and online, since 7th and it has been a good thing. Homeschooling has been a great fit for her!   

My Ds was homeschooled til halfway through 6th, when he started at a tiny private school. School has been a true God-send. He should have gone  several years earlier.

Different kids; one size does not fit all. 

Best wishes for your homeschool adventures! 

• Like 4

This board is great for helping with high school stuff. Welcome back into the fold.

I've homeschooled since eldest was 4 & I started her with K materials just to see how it went. She's a junior in college on a full ride scholarship. We've always taken it one year & one kid at a time. Second kid is a college freshman. Third is a sophomore in high school & I have two more after that. All of them have always been educated at home (with the caveat that I did a lot of outsourcing with eldest due to her personality). So, I'm in my 16th year of homeschooling. I have maybe 6 years to go after this. Hopefully. [Sometimes I say I'm in a post- post-burnout laissez faire phase.]

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 7

@lynn--  so glad you are able to do this for your child, since it is clear she's so relieved.  At least she'll be motivated to make it work!  🙂 

We've homeschooled all along; to my mind, I started in preschool when my older child was 4.  That's when I made the choice to drop grad school and come home with him full time; he's starting 10th this year. 

It has been a sometimes-wild ride.  Totally worth it.  Still a ton of work.  Can't imagine doing it any other way. 

• Like 4

I have homeschooled all of them starting in K.  However, they all attended a private preschool.  Originally, I sent DD to preschool expecting to enroll her in public K.  I wasn't happy with the school, so we gave homeschooling a shot.  We went to a one day a week co-op for a couple years, but it wasn't a good fit.  We looked into DE but chose not too for numerous reason.  DD took one class at the local high school which didn't go well.  She also attended a one day a week art school for homeschoolers for her last two years of high school, but otherwise everything was at home.  Middle kid didn't do anything schoolwise outside homeschooling.  Youngest is going to be doing an online chemistry class for homeschoolers this year.

My older two have graduated, and just one more to go.  Youngest should graduate in three years.  DD is a junior in college and DS is working on military enlistment.

• Like 5

We started halfway through 2nd and 4th grade. My oldest is now a college junior, and my youngest just started his senior year. Both homeschooled (with the youngest about to finish up this year) all the way through high school. 

Our only regret was not starting homeschooling sooner.

• Like 4

Started homeschooling after 1 week of public K, (he's a kindergarten drop out!).  He's now a 7th-ish grader. We've done outside classes for art, chess, and socializing. I don't expect this kid to be heavy into DE or AP classes, (not a good fit, personality-wise).

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Different kids; one size does not fit all. 

So true!  I've been homeschooling "all the way through" since oldest was about 2, so 30 years this year.  3 graduates, my youngest is in third year of high school.  I'm so struck by the above quote - each has had their own challenges and their own joys with homeschooling (though we all share the joys.)  

14 hours ago, lynn said:

There's no going back.   Wish us luck.

Brava to you for supporting your daughter's path back home!

Edited by Harpymom
  • Like 4

Good luck! 🙂

We have always homeschooled except for various online classes and some dual enrollment classes in high school. Mom has her limits. 😁 The oldest two are in college and the younger two are high school aged.  It feels so near the end after all this time. 

• Like 4

I started when my 1st grader was dealing with anxiety/depression due to a medically-complex, frequently-hospitalized sibling. He is now in 9th grade and was homeschooled until last week when he started his freshman year at a private high school.

His older brother asked to be homeschooled the following year, and he was homeschooled for grades 4-7. Public middle school for 8th grade and then private school for grades 9-11 so far.

Younger sister was homeschooled beginning in K, went part-time to a hybrid homeschool program for grades 3-4 and is now in 6th grade. I expect that she will go to a private K-8 school next year, since she is very social and wants to return to school.

Our youngest, the medically-complex child mentioned earlier, was in public early childhood special ed and elementary school from birth-the end of 1st grade. For 2nd grade, last year, he was homeschooled due to his immune deficiency. We have found a very small self-contained special ed classroom for him at an excellent public elementary school with very Covid-aware staff. He will mask and go to school starting next week but I'm honestly not sure it will go, healthwise. I'm doing everything I can to support his immune system but he is profoundly disabled and needs the structure of school and the expertise of the special ed team. 

Edited by Insertcreativenamehere
  • Like 3

My kids have always been homeschooled.

I knew that I wanted to homeschool before dh and I got married.

As a teacher, I knew that I didn't want my kids in any school -- that I could give them an adequate education at home and that it would be better for our family.   

• Like 2

My girls are in 8th and 10th, and we've always homeschooled. DH mentioned it before oldest was school-aged, and I was like NOT HAPPENING!  😂 But then when it was time to send her to kindergarten, I just couldn't do it. She was too little to be in school alllll day. (She did do a  2x/week preschool, which we loved.). 

We've been homeschooling ever since. 

• Like 3

Oldest: homeschooled preK-8th grade. Started with 1 class dual enrolled in 9th grade. Then, 5 classes dual enrolled (2 classes 1st semester, 3 classes 2nd semester) in 10th grade, so still some home based classes. Fully dual enrolled in 11th and 12th with no home based classes. She's a college junior now.

Middle: homeschooled preK-7th grade. Tried private school in 8th grade. Came home mid 8th grade and is now a homeschooled 10th grader. She has had one online class, but most are home-based classes.

Youngest: homeschooled preK-current 9th grader. She has never taken an outside class.

Reasons I fell into homeschooling: we didn't have the cash for preK, so I did that at home. Oldest was not one who would've enjoyed school at all, so I kept her home. Middle was not ready for Kindergarten when it was time to send her, so she stayed home as well. By the time we got to the youngest, it was just "what we did".

• Like 2

All along, from baby to now (6th & 9th grades).

I grew up a child of teachers, and also had many aunts and uncles who taught in public school, so I grew up hearing all the politics of the school system.

Luckily, when I was pregnant with my first, I received a piece of junk mail (I think it was Robinson Curriculum), but that made me do the research, and we made the decision that homeschooling was it for us. (Never used that curricullum, but did lots of curriculum research over the years.)

• Like 2

2 kids - Homeschooled dyslexic dd from 2nd though graduation. ADHD ds in third grade after his diagnosis, went back to public school for 4th grade and was bored senseless, then 5th through graduation. I always thought they would go back to public school. We toured schools and I always said they could go back anytime they wanted to go. Then they got involved with sports, jobs and volunteering, homeschool enrichment programs, musical theater, made good friends, enjoyed traveling when everyone else was in school, and never looked back.

DS has graduated college with an International Business degree after studying in France. DD is in her last year of double-majoring in Graphic Design and Digital Media Production. They have both said they have absolutely no regrets and loved that they "took the road less traveled".

• Like 3

We started when my kids were in 8th, 6th, 4th, K, and a toddler. We were not unhappy with the school system, really ... but every year older they got it seemed like the school took over more and more of our lives. I didn't like the lack of family time and the idea that the school was in charge of my kid instead of me, even during their time at home, became more and more grating. Up until I got pregnant with #5 I'd always been more than a little bit against hs'ing. My dad had been a ps teacher and a principal, and it was ingrained in me that education was best left to the professionals. But when I got pregnant with #5 it was a shock and were kind of thrown into this whole "we're no longer a typical American family" thing and it was like my brain was finally ready to say that the typical American family experience wasn't all it was cracked up to be and I was ready to look for something different.

From the very first day we started hs'ing I have wished we'd started from the very beginning, and I've never looked back.

• Like 4