Menu

Reviews of VHS Learning online AP Classes?

I'm struggling to find feedback about VHS learning, especially since they've been in business a long, long time and the little I see in reviews of online AP classes is so different and mostly old.

Looking to sign up for AP Bio for one of my '22 children, after deciding not to take a chance on an unknown PA Homeschooler teacher (and with the other section with an infamous teacher)

I didn't hesitate to sign up for PA Homeschoolers physics and chemistry with the Kernion brothers, who are great.

Anyone know anything about VHS learning's APs or AP Bio?

They haven't answered my inquiries about the syllabus and in particular I want to know how their tests are administered.

Any experiences or second-hand knowledge?

Thanks!

IMPORTANT EDIT: MY BAD

Have been in communication with the VHS Dean and these reviews are actually of another outfit called Virtual High School  in Ohio and are not in fact VHS learning:

I found these recent reviews. Quite alarming since the same theme is repeated.

https://www.niche.com/k12/virtual-high-school-cincinnati-oh/reviews/

Edited by Writerdaddy

Last year my son took a course through the Online Jewish High School program that is part of VHS.  It was fine.  The course was fully asynchronous -- the instructor just gave feedback on written assignments -- so it was essentially self-study.   (I also did some of the readings so I could discuss them with my son.)  The course was very thoughtfully designed and the person in charge of the OJHS program is extremely on-the-ball and helpful, so everything ran smoothly.  

No idea if any of this applies to the VHS as a whole, though.

• Like 1

Thanks!

oh and hi @Farrar , I remember you from oh so many years ago.

I believe I passed on Blue Tent this time due to the required live class time and its importance (you can't just watch the recording, I believe. And that's probably a good thing overall). For some reason, as a West Coaster, class times has always been a problem. Why are all the enterprising teacher outfits on the east coast?

Thanks @JennyD that is reassuring, that it was basically well designed and smooth going. I think I'm going to follow your lead and do the reading too. 

I've already signed up. I think VHS is set up for integration with schools and other outfits. The consumer price is way above competitors and as I said they provide very little information about how the course runs. Almost like they thought, what the heck let's offer it up and see if anyone bites.

Now I'm wondering why I don't just do FLVS instead. Sounds like it's the same thing.

Edited by Writerdaddy

Blue Tent's AP Bio is in the evenings Eastern time, which I'm pretty sure is meant to accommodate the west coast. Some of their teachers are west coast based. Of course, no time works for everyone.

I definitely would have done FLVS before this poorly reviewed place. But... different goals and needs for different folks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

Blue Tent's AP Bio is in the evenings Eastern time, which I'm pretty sure is meant to accommodate the west coast. Some of their teachers are west coast based. Of course, no time works for everyone.

I definitely would have done FLVS before this poorly reviewed place. But... different goals and needs for different folks.

Just FYI for anyone else who might be considering Blue Tent’s AP Bio: the teacher does not require live attendance/participation in the Thursday evening class. My DD is two weeks into the course and has found the teacher to be well-organized, flexible, and kind so far. Obviously, it’s too early for a full review. My DD asked if rather than doing physical dissection she could instead conduct her labs virtually as she is a vegan. Teacher had no problem. DD watches the recording of the class at 2x speed just for efficiency and teacher is fine with it. I’m cautiously optimistic at this point!

• Like 3

oh that's great to hear. The optional class attendance wasn't available when I wanted to sign up, back when there were still spots open.

i hope people will also post back about the new PAH bio teacher too.

BTW PAH did hire a questionable bio teacher last year, based on the reviews which PAH very honestly displays on it's website. The reviews are fairly convincing and consistent. However, both sections of the old teacher had waitlists while the new teacher's class was open.

There is one wtmf person whose DD is in the new teacher's AP Bio right now.

Edited by Writerdaddy
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

I know this is a really old thread but since I had the same question, I thought I'd share this article I found:

https://www.eschoolnews.com/2021/11/19/vhs-learning-students-again-outperform-national-average-pass-rates-for-advanced-placement-exams/?fbclid=IwAR1D6qPVyUdImubNnJAqQXE9ahTALzz7_WWDxbzraJIqgOKlsi_CVc5st3w

I know our public school "gives" a teacher in exchange for a certain number of VHS seats.  They are not paying the published tuition.  It's more of a barter.