Menu

We did a practice ACT and SAT. Now what?

It was recommended here that we take both a practice ACT and SAT simulating test conditions and then use that information to figure out which is the "best fit" test. Then, we prep for that test. 

How do I compare the scores? Do I look at percentiles?

The only indicator I have either way so far is that he didn't do great on the science compared to the other sections which makes me think possibly we should drop the ACT. 

Thanks in advance!

Following bc I want to know, too.  I gave mine a practice SAT this morning.   She thought the math was harder on SAT, grammar about the same, reading easier on ACT- she thought the SAT questions were harder to understand.  She actually did okay on the science section of ACT, so who knows.  

I did decide to skip the PSAT.  Her score isn't near high enough (1200).  Sad, bc those scholarships are beyond awesome!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cintinative said:

It was recommended here that we take both a practice ACT and SAT simulating test conditions and then use that information to figure out which is the "best fit" test. Then, we prep for that test. 

How do I compare the scores? Do I look at percentiles?

The only indicator I have either way so far is that he didn't do great on the science compared to the other sections which makes me think possibly we should drop the ACT. 

Thanks in advance!

You can look at the concordance tables and determine which test your student performed best on. https://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/ACT-SAT-Concordance-Tables.pdf

I will say that the ACT science section is generally very teachable. My DD scored a 25, 30, and a 35 on it with a bit of practice between tests 1, 2, and 3. She used the book For the Love of ACT Science and several practice sections.

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, fourisenough said:

I will say that the ACT science section is generally very teachable. My DD scored a 25, 30, and a 35 on it with a bit of practice between tests 1, 2, and 3. She used the book For the Love of ACT Science and several practice sections.

Thank you! I went back and looked at his SAT and his ACT scores are overall better. He also told me after thinking about it, he felt like he preferred the ACT. So it sounds like we have a direction! YAY.  

• Like 6

There used to be a pdf that had a very easy table to look at that showed which one you should focus on if you had both scores. I couldn't find it.

Sounds like you are good though...

I loved the For Love of ACT Science book but it did not result in scores on that section being in the same range as the other 3 sections for either of my older kids. Some kids are just not coachable....

(I have 1 NMF & 1 slightly above average kid.)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2021 at 2:35 PM, cintinative said:

Thank you! I went back and looked at his SAT and his ACT scores are overall better. He also told me after thinking about it, he felt like he preferred the ACT. So it sounds like we have a direction! YAY.  

There are some videos on YouTube that help with preparing for the ACT science section. The man who does them goes by the name The Magnet man I think.

• Like 2