Menu

Help with Language Arts for 7.5 years old

My 2nd/3rd daughter has struggled with reading since kindergarten. She was always the youngest in her class (Dec 23rd when the cutoff is Dec 31st), which might be part of it. Covid erupted when she was in 1st grade and she finished that year not reading. Last year (2nd grade) we homeschooled and did AAR level 1. It went slowly, but we finished level 1 and she now can decode any words that correspond to what was taught in AAR level 1, though doesn't read fluently.

(We got her evaluated at the end of 1st grade. She doesn't have any learning disability they could detect at 6.5 years old, if anything, she is above average in most areas tested).

This year, we are continuing with AAR level 2, but I would like to accelerate the reading, because it is affecting her self esteem ("all my friends already know how to read"), as well as expand on LA in age-appropriate ways. Also, last year I found we didn't do AAR every day - it was hard so she tried to avoid it some days, and I didn't insist every time.  To add variety and support the learning, I was thinking of adding one or a couple of the following:

1. Explode the Code, starting in book 2 as a review and covering 2 more books

2. FLL level 1 - I looked through it and it seems to be too slow and basic for her, but I could use it, one week on one week off, in the off weeks continue with WWE1 which we started last year but only got half way thru.

3. Lightning Lit & Comp - grade 2 (she loves reading books with me)

4. Bookshark LA grade 1

5. WriteShop Junior B (she loves the idea of "publishing" a book)

My questions:

1. Which curricula can work well with AAR2, support the reading process and expand on it?

2. If she is still learning to read, should I even bother with grammar, spelling, writing etc?

3. How many minutes of LA in a day is enough? too much? her attention span is not great, and also we are doing math, science, history (listening to SOTW) and Hebrew.

Thank you.

Edited by Homeschooling2or3

Hello.

1. I think explode the code would be a good addition. Sorry, I’m not sure about other grammar programs would be a good fit for your child.

2. yes.  FFL 1 is an easy program. We did it orally. Skipped some lessons as it was too repetitive for my kids.  As for spelling, I think all about spelling would be a good fit.  From what I’ve used most program has a writing component. I feel writing is essential because it is like reading and math-it builds upon itself and can take years to develop. 

3.  Not much at this age. 5 mins handwriting, 15 mins phonics, 5 mins spelling, 5 mins writing, 5 mins grammar, and 5 mins copywork. And of course lots of reading which you already do.

For spelling and phonics, I usually taught them the rule and then they would go running around the couch or jump on a trampoline while practicing to read or spell. 

Hope this helps.  

So she's a rising 2nd grader (if you use a fall cutoff) and she's going into AAR? Ok. And you know she has fluency issues, so you know you need to work on that.

1 hour ago, Homeschooling2or3 said:

We got her evaluated at the end of 1st grade. She doesn't have any learning disability they could detect at 6.5 years old, if anything, she is above average in most areas tested).

What tests were done? Did you post about this on LC? And how old is she now? If you have the test results, we could talk you through them. My ds was diagnosed with his SLDs at 6 and it *can* be done but often isn't. Being super bright does not mean there's not an SLD. Given that it's affecting her view of herself and seems discrepant, it would be reasonable to assume something is going on. The reason it matters is because there can often be some more things that go with it, even if the reading comes in. And if there's not a phonological processing difficulty, you'd like to know *what else* is explaining it. For instance, my dd was kind of crunchy in the beginning and it turned out she had convergence issues (developmental vision) that we didn't realize. We later ended up doing vision therapy for it.

So what  you might want to do is review her evals, see if anything got missed, and then consider other *screenings* or evals to make sure there's not another explanation. My dd's convergence issues were affecting her visual memory, which was why we had to work SO HARD on fluency and spelling. We fixed that and boom. She also had some retained reflexes and a dab of auditory processing (dichotic listening) issues. Top ACT scores btw, quite smart, but she needed those helps.

FLL level 1 - I looked through it and it seems to be too slow and basic for her, but I could use it, one week on one week off, in the off weeks continue with WWE1 which we started last year but only got half way thru.

If she's beyond it, why bother? Memorizing the definitions is important but the rest is not. 

Why is WWE going slowly? It's hard or you're using the workbook that expects writing? 

If she is still learning to read, should I even bother with grammar, spelling, writing etc?

You want to create a language rich environment because she's missing the language input that she would get by reading. While she is not yet eye reading, you want to ramp up ear reading, read alouds, oral language instruction, etc. Ear reading is typically ⅓ the speed of eye reading, so she's going to need MORE HOURS to keep up with the language acquisition of her peers. Her vocabulary and syntax growth will slow if she does not get this input. 

She should only be expected to write or do as copywork things she understands how to spell. So for now, your copywork and spelling should connect directly to your AAR instruction.

her attention span is not great

Given what you're describing, I'd be asking about ADHD or APD or both. You would get audiology testing for the APD. Look for someone trained in Buffalo method who will take a language based approach. 

listening to SOTW

How is this going? Can she narrate what she hears or reads about? How are her narrations?

Hebrew

How is this going?

WriteShop Junior B (she loves the idea of "publishing" a book

Then you should definitely do this!!! 😄 

Edited by PeterPan

6 hours ago, PeterPan said:

What tests were done? Did you post about this on LC? And how old is she now? If you have the test results, we could talk you through them. My ds was diagnosed with his SLDs at 6 and it *can* be done but often isn't. Being super bright does not mean there's not an SLD. Given that it's affecting her view of herself and seems discrepant, it would be reasonable to assume something is going on. The reason it matters is because there can often be some more things that go with it, even if the reading comes in. And if there's not a phonological processing difficulty, you'd like to know *what else* is explaining it. For instance, my dd was kind of crunchy in the beginning and it turned out she had convergence issues (developmental vision) that we didn't realize. We later ended up doing vision therapy for it.

So what  you might want to do is review her evals, see if anything got missed, and then consider other *screenings* or evals to make sure there's not another explanation. My dd's convergence issues were affecting her visual memory, which was why we had to work SO HARD on fluency and spelling. We fixed that and boom. She also had some retained reflexes and a dab of auditory processing (dichotic listening) issues. Top ACT scores btw, quite smart, but she needed those helps.

Regarding the testing, I don't actually have written results, they were shared with us in a meeting (long story why we don't have it in writing, but I will ask for it - I feel not everything you mentioned was tested).

Why is WWE going slowly? It's hard or you're using the workbook that expects writing? 

WWE - we started on it late in the year, so didn't finish it. Towards the end of last year it also seemed she got bored with it. But she did it just fine, though the copy work included words beyond her reading level.

7 hours ago, Homeschooling2or3 said:

listening to SOTW

How is this going? Can she narrate what she hears or reads about? How are her narrations?

SOTW is going great, she can answer questions and narrate no problem.

8 hours ago, Homeschooling2or3 said:

Hebrew

How is this going?

Like English, she started on it in kindergarden and was never able to catch on to the reading. I dropped it last year when we first homeschooled to focus on English, but I want to introduce it again this year.

You want to create a language rich environment because she's missing the language input that she would get by reading. While she is not yet eye reading, you want to ramp up ear reading, read alouds, oral language instruction, etc. Ear reading is typically ⅓ the speed of eye reading, so she's going to need MORE HOURS to keep up with the language acquisition of her peers. Her vocabulary and syntax growth will slow if she does not get this input.

Thank you for your insights, appreciate it a lot.

If the AAR is working, then by all means, stick with what is working! 😄

Side note: if the dyslexia is making AAR not effective, and she needs a more dyslexia-specific program, you might research:
- Sound Foundation programs: Dancing Bears (early level), or Apples and Pears (next level)
- Barton -- reading & spelling; here is the "quick start" info

Agreeing/"liking" previous posters suggestions. For other things that coordinate with AAR:

SPELLING
- All About Spelling seems like it would be a natural fit to go with All About Reading
- If you go with AAS, then you would not also need additional phonics work
- If not going with AAS, then yes, Explode the Code could help by providing phonics support

PHONICS/READING Support
DS#2 here had stealth dyslexia and was delayed to read; he really felt encouraged to keep trying with a few computer games:
- Reader Rabbit series (learn to read; and personalized reading)
- Bailey's Book House
- Word Munchers
- and then when he was clearing the hurdle of decoding and was beginning to read: Cluefinders series

I know others on these boards have suggested the Starfall online games for decoding and pre-reading/early reading activities. 
Also many people swear by the Leapfrog DVDs of Letter Factory, Talking Word Factory, and Learn to Read at Storybook Factory
It looks like the Education.com website has phonics/reading and LA games.

We also used the Python Path game (a phonics/sounding-out board game), and I used other home-made sounding-out games. You might see if you can land a used copy of Sing-Spell-Read-Write (out-of-print), or Happy Phonics (NOT worth the cost of new). Or check out the printable games from Teach Your Monster To Read website (https://www.teachyourmonstertoread.com/teachers-area/classroom-toolkit/tabletop-phonics-board-games)

Any/all of those might be useful phonics/reading support, and she could do them as fun supplemental support.

GRAMMAR
Just me: esp. since she has some LA struggles, I wouldn't do anything formal until 3rd/4th grade (many people wait until 5th grade). However, if you use something, just do it orally. If you are really wanting to do the FLL series, then keep it as oral/together/curled up on the couch together. Maybe keep grammar just as fun supplements:
- Grammar Ad Libs, and, Mad Libs printables, app, or purchase booklets = parts of speech
- Grammar Gorillas = parts of speech; online games
- Schoolhouse Rock: Grammar Rock = parts of speech; short, catchy music videos

WRITING
Since she really wants to publish a book, sure, go with what she is excited about. The Writeshop Jr. B sounds like she would find it fun. You might adapt as needed, and do a lot of *transcribing* for her (she narrates/dictates to you, while you write it down), and then she can use your transcribed version as handwriting practice to publish a final version in her own hand. Use paper that is blank on the top half, with lines on the bottom half. Or, alternate a page of her writing with a blank page for her to illustrate her story.

Otherwise, I'm personally not a fan of a formal writing program before 3rd grade -- and certainly not for a child who is not fluent with reading. The child doesn't have the tools yet to be ABLE to write, if still struggling to figure out how to read. So doing something like WWE would  just be torture, IMO. (But then, neither of my DSs would have been a good fit with the WWE and WWS series -- and neither would have been a fit for my teaching style either... 😉 )

With DD#2 (stealth dyslexia, strongly visual-spatial learner, big struggles throughout the years with spelling, writing, and math), our LA looked similar to what @desertflower outlined. Writing was really copywork/penmanship -- no formal writing program.

Mostly, I just want to say I would be VERY careful about trying to "accelerate" reading. That can really backfire and end up causing both of you a lot of tears and frustration (not to mention kill a future love of reading) if her brain is just not yet matured the areas that are needed for reading. Whole-hearted agree with posters above about keeping up lots of out-loud reading, gentle/daily reading practice or program, and creating a language-rich environment for her.

BEST of luck. Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

I want to clarify that I'm not implying a language rich environment will improve her reading or that waiting is a good strategy. The IDA says dyslexia should be diagnosed going into 1st and it is not year clear what the cause is yet of the discrepancy and struggle. I'm in favor of early, intentional identification and intervention, no delays. Good instruction and good intervention is always good. Waiting and hoping bloom time will somehow accomplish it only means you find out LATER why the dc was actually struggling. 

It's clear op has tried to get some evals, which is really laudable. Since it didn't come together like the person evaling apparently implied it would, it's time to review and see what got missed.

5 hours ago, Homeschooling2or3 said:

Regarding the testing, I don't actually have written results, they were shared with us in a meeting (long story why we don't have it in writing, but I will ask for it - I feel not everything you mentioned was tested).

Sounds like a good plan. Was this a ps eval? 

5 hours ago, Homeschooling2or3 said:

SOTW is going great, she can answer questions and narrate no problem.

Fabulous! Narrative language is such an important piece of language development, so essential for reading comprehension and developing written language. Takes a whole area of concern off the table to know it's developing well and intact. Fits with what you were saying about her wanting to do that book writing program.

I will tell you, my dd had a funny point where she told me, in no uncertain terms, that she WAS NOT LIKE ME AND DID NOT LIKE TO WRITE. Well it was crunchy at first (spelling, typing, etc.) and then there were the ADHD and organization issues. But once all that came together around 7th/8th, she really blossomed. She started doing online writing contests, took dual enrollment writing classes, did the peer reviews for those, and even took classes in college requiring writing. 

Writing stayed *hard* for her but she *enjoyed* it, if that makes sense. 

So I think don't assume too much based on some things being hard. You want to find out *why* they're hard and whether there's anything to do about it, but people end up in surprising places with enough tech and intervention and support.

Edited by PeterPan

Discrepancy is no longer in the DSM as a way to diagnose, but common sense tells us kids need the language level to do what they're intellectually trying to do. We expect there to be some match up, even though technically they're not allowed to say that. 

2 hours ago, Lori D. said:

careful about trying to "accelerate" reading.

I think the grade adjustment would help immensely. That Dec cutoff is not doing this dc any favors. 

To me, the IQ pairs with your knowledge of yourself and gives you a sense of discrepancy. I agree you don't want to go quickly or rush. I do think it's ok to work *aggressively* to get a dc up to level. For instance, my ds was incredibly discrepant, with a gifted IQ and dyslexia. I had him reading at a 5th/6th gr level by the end of 1st because we worked on it 2-2 ½ hours a day using a solid intervention program (Barton). Zero regrets on that. He doesn't remember those hours and only knows reading works for him. 

I think it's ok to go with your gut on that and work to tolerance, work to pleasure, work to the amount that makes the dc feel like they're getting the level of stimulation they need. If they eat it up, do it. 

On 8/27/2021 at 9:37 PM, PeterPan said:

Discrepancy is no longer in the DSM as a way to diagnose, but common sense tells us kids need the language level to do what they're intellectually trying to do. We expect there to be some match up, even though technically they're not allowed to say that. 

I think the grade adjustment would help immensely. That Dec cutoff is not doing this dc any favors. 

To me, the IQ pairs with your knowledge of yourself and gives you a sense of discrepancy. I agree you don't want to go quickly or rush. I do think it's ok to work *aggressively* to get a dc up to level. For instance, my ds was incredibly discrepant, with a gifted IQ and dyslexia. I had him reading at a 5th/6th gr level by the end of 1st because we worked on it 2-2 ½ hours a day using a solid intervention program (Barton). Zero regrets on that. He doesn't remember those hours and only knows reading works for him...

Yes, it is so important to know your child to know how much/how hard you can safely accelerate. That is awesome you were able to spend SO much time every day getting him up to speed, and that he is succeeding in so many ways despite some big challenges. 😄 

Here, length of time as an aggressive means up getting DS#2 up to speed absolutely would not have worked.

DS#2 was very bright, tremendously intuitive, and had a verbal vocabulary off the charts for his age, but he was also a late bloomer in learning to read because of the stealth dyslexia. He was extremely strong-willed, hated anything that had even a whiff of "school" about it. He really wanted to learn to read because of the Calvin & Hobbes comic collections we had. Yet he also "knew" he was "behind" (self-imposed, as that NEVER came from DH or I) and that made him angry/frustrated, and when coupled with the strong-will, it was an incredibly delicate dance to gently keep going with a little bit of a reading program each day (about 15 min/day), and do any acceleration or "aggressive" extra work had to come in the (dis)guise of the fun reinforcement supplements (about 30 min/day).

Gentle perseverance paid off for him, and he finally turned the corner and started reading right after he turned 8yo, and was fluent by 9yo -- in fact, he was so stubborn, he decided he would "show reading who was boss" (lol -- seriously, I really think that was his attitude) and read The Hobbit on his own before he turned 10! He never was a huge pleasure reader, except when he would find a series he really liked. 😉

But that's okay. The point is, he made it -- just in his own time table. Homeschooling allowed our close understanding of his temperament + his level of brain development to help him move forward with enough push, but not so much that his strong willed-ness decided he just not learn to read (which was a real possibility with his particular brand of stubbornness).

...I think it's ok to go with your gut on that and work to tolerance, work to pleasure, work to the amount that makes the dc feel like they're getting the level of stimulation they need. If they eat it up, do it. 

Yes! 😄 

ETA -- P.S.:

...I think the grade adjustment would help immensely. That Dec cutoff is not doing this dc any favors...

Agree. DS#2 has an early Jan. birthday, so very close to that Dec. 31st cut-off--which, unlike OP's DD, worked in his favor. He was 7.5, turned 8 halfway through 2nd grade. If he had been born just a few days earlier and slipped in at the end of Dec. due to cut-off, he would have been in Oper's position of being an on-paper 3rd grader, whose LA levels were at a Kinder/1st level. Again, SOOO thankful for homeschooling, so that we could ignore grade designations and work where he was.

Edited by Lori D.

My DD was 6.5 when COVID struck, and had also just learned to read. I also did AAR level 1;  then I switched to LOE level A(she had to repeat a lot, and I wouldn’t necessarily recommend that, but *I* was dying of boredom with AAR and was switching for my son anyway, so switched DD also).  With LOE, they do spelling and I noticed her abilities really progressed once we started spelling, so I would suggest adding AAS level 1 for your DD when you start AAR 2.  Also, per SWB’s reading recommendations in TWTM, I made her read a SUPER easy book EVERY day, along with the scheduled AAR stories. We started with Level 1 BOB books, and that really increased her confidence and enjoyment in reading. I felt like the AAR books were really challenging and having to work so hard every time she read was discouraging to my DD, and she frankly disliked reading, which made me so sad. I continued making her read every day—easier than AAR, but progressing in difficulty.  Now she LOVES reading, particularly independently. 

On 8/27/2021 at 10:17 AM, Homeschooling2or3 said:

My questions:

1. Which curricula can work well with AAR2, support the reading process and expand on it?

2. If she is still learning to read, should I even bother with grammar, spelling, writing etc?

3. How many minutes of LA in a day is enough? too much? her attention span is not great, and also we are doing math, science, history (listening to SOTW) and Hebrew.

Thank you.

1. I think that doing 20-35 minute sessions 2x a day may help a lot more than adding more boxes and books to the learning to read process.

2. The only LA-skill that I work on with my early-readers is penmanship. We used the Kumon books for handwriting but any program that teachers letters based on their letter shapes/stroke order will work. We add in extra work, we have them write missing letters to complete words. We have them write words from dictation. We have them drill handwriting and work to get their handwriting fluent.

Once their handwriting is developing and coming along, we use Spelling by Sound and Structure. When she's fluent in handwriting and able to write letters neatly and fluently, then begin a spelling program with her. A well designed spelling program re-inforces phonics.

I used and highly recommend Spelling By Sound and Structure 2-6, in my opinion it's a wonderfully designed program. I start it with my kids who can read on a basic level and can physically write easily.

SbSS is gentle, thorough and very intelligently put together, we skip the student workbooks and teach only from the Teachers Guides. Our kids write on the papers, the board or note cards.

NOTE: The workbooks are Christian--there are references to God throughout, but I edited out all the religious references for my family because that faith doesn't align with our family values.

3. For a budding reader who can't write
I think that LA should be restricted to systematic phonics + reading practice + penmanship. I would do AM and PM sessions in all 3 to get a foundation established.

I would do 30 minutes of focused work in the AM:
  7 minutes of supervised and directed penmanship. (she should write the 1 or 2 letters 2 rows each working quickly and diligently)
  7 minutes of explicit phonics lessons. (teaching 1 or 2 sounds, IDing it in words, blending words with that sound, IDing the sound in print, orally blending words that have the sound, blending a few words that use that sound.
12 minutes of phonics based reading practice.
  4 minutes of dictation.

and 10-20 minutes of focused work in the PM.
   2 minutes of letter/digraph writing practice
   4 minutes of phonics-based dictation (review of what she learned in the AM or has been working on for a while)
   5 minutes of phonics-based reading practice.
   3 minutes of Rapid Reading Review (reading words and phrases from a card or sheet of paper)

Edited by mathmarm

I would do phonics in short sessions at least 3 or 4 times a day until she is reading well. I would lesson your other workload except math and streamline what you can, shorten all other subjects except math.

I have free phonics lessons that teach to the 12th grade level, I would work through them in addition to what you are doing.

http://thephonicspage.org/On Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

I would add in a bit of spelling with AAS or Spelling Plus. Spelling Plus is K - 6 spelling organized by rule and pattern, cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Spelling-Plus-Words-toward-Success/dp/187947820X/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=spelling+plus&qid=1630263514&sr=8-1

I would drill my chart at least 2 times a day, here is a video about how, the chart is linked on my syllables page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5tU0HviZAE&t=100s

Then, use it when she is reading other things, looking up the sounds on the chart on their own (after guided help at first) shortens the time to learn the sounds.

After you complete my syllables program, should take 2 to 3 weeks if you do a lesson daily, I would make one of the things you do the Old Open Court, it is long vowel first. You start with the Blue workbook then the Gold workbook. If the Webster's Speller lessons in my syllables program worked well, I would also do a bit of the 2+ syllable words in the full Webster's Speller daily. Both Webster's Speller and open vowels will help accelerate reading grade level progress. (My lessons do as well but aren't a full program.) You could also work through the full Blend Phonics if that went well.

http://wigowsky.com/school/opencourt/opencourt.htm

The Logic of English game books has a bunch of ideas about how to make phonics more fun:

https://store.logicofenglish.com/collections/product-type-supplements/products/game-book

I have a free game that is fun and helps to get in a few more minutes of phonics practice after being tired of regular work:

http://thephonicspage.org/On Phonics/concentrationgam.html

I also have a video about how to make phonics practice more fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b2HyvcWaZA&t=15s

I have been a volunteer literacy tutor for 27 years and have worked with hundreds of students and have tested and advised thousands. I started homeschooling because of my tutoring!!

The syllables program is the end result of my work with these students over the years, especially designed to quickly teach an older student. They get really excited in the last 4 lessons when they are able to read above grade level multi-syllable words, it is very confidence boosting. Give ample help and make sure she succeeds with the 8th to 12th grade level words, I've had K and 1st grade students successfully tackle them after learning the basic syllables.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 2

If she is going into 2nd grade and starting AAR 2  then she is right where she should be! I wouldn't stress. AAR level 1 at the end is a good place to be for her age, and when she is ready things will click no matter what else you try.

For a bit of practice I have added the Hooked on Phonics app for my 7 year-old and it has really been helping my son! Enough so I am shocked. I would try something like that so its easy but fun and adds reinforcement to her lessons.

Edited by seemesew
  • Like 1

I use TGTB along with OPGTR. OPGTR was written by the sponsor of this site and is an amazing book! It is a guide book. It takes you through each step. I just have a sticky tab note in there and we do a lesson from it many days a week. We do reading together at night. We have also watched all the Leapfrog videos. 

• Like 2

Rooted in Language has a multi-sensory approach to grammar that should be dyslexia-friendly. They are an SLP practice that specializes in dyslexia and literacy. My kids were beyond some of their stuff when I found them, but I know people who rave about them, and they have good online support groups on Facebook. 

They have recently started publishing their own reading curriculum, but many people use parts and pieces of their other products. They also offer online education sessions to help parents learn to support and troubleshoot issues with their dyslexic kiddos, including how to set up a language arts binder to get the student on board with their learning.

Anyway, you might find that they could help fill in some of what you need.  https://www.rootedinlanguage.com/

• 4 weeks later...

The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading is what I highly recommend you get and start now.  It will fill any gaps she has and you will get to the place where she's at and continue on from there.  I'm using the book to tutor a 5th grader right now that didn't get proper phonics and reading instruction in public school and she's not the only one I've helped and recommended OPGTR.  It worked for others and worked for both my kids.  She will be reading on a 4th grade level by the end of the book.

Here are the approximate grade levels through the book:

• Around Lesson 60, you have taught all of the requirements of Kindergarten
  • Start 1st grade lesson material around Lesson 61
  • Start 2nd grade lesson material around Lesson 120
  • End of the book ends with 4th grade level words

There was a FAQ years ago that I have and here are the recommendations when to begin what:

• By Lesson 115 of the OPGTR, you can start penmanship and spelling
  • After Lesson 181, the child is ready for copywork (and lesson 42 in FLL1)
  • You can start First Language Lessons 1 after Lesson 140 of the OPGTR, but make sure you don't start lesson 42 in FLL1 until you've reached Lesson 181 in OPGTR.

If you do decide to use it, I can give you a readers list that tells you when the child will be able to read what readers after lessons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1