Menu

Am I the only one who thinks Saxon Math is boring?...

MitchellMom

In the younger grades, I think it's just tooooo slow. We use Horizons thru 2nd grade. It's a bit advanced in it's pace(but I don't think it's as advanced as Singapore)- especially compared to Saxon:), but you can use it at a slower pace. In other words, by the time my son is in 2nd grade, we use the work book at a slower pace so that he is using it thru 3rd grade too. Then, I put them in Saxon 5/4. IT works great b/c by 5/4 Saxon is faster and more challenging to my boys. I've done this for two of my three sons and have been very happy with it. I've looked over a ton of math curriculum and I still haven't seen anything I like better for k-2 than Horizons.

HTH!

I'm new to Saxon this year (Saxon 2) after R&S and BJUP. Other than the morning meeting (which we don't do every day), I don't know how much different you could get everyday!!! I think I can count on one hand how many lessons have been the same two days in a row. I, myself, would hate this curriculum. My older dd couldn't have done it. But it works great for younger dd.

Yes, the meetings are rather monotonous, but the lessons change daily, so I actually find it interesting, and so does my dd. I never know if it'll be a lesson about measuring or geometry, or addition, etc from day-to-day (unless I've looked ahead, of course). My 1st dd used a mastery workbook course for the early years in it was boring. Just chapter after chapter of addition or subtraction. There were 2 or 3 chapters of geometry and measurement, but the rest was all the same.

Just my limited experience! :)

This is why we skip the meeting part! The lessons are good in that they vary from day-to-day and cover several topics in each one. I have never bothered with the meetings though.

Although I feel Saxon is very thorough and is a good math program, my dd and I were both bored and dreading math every day. Now I use Math on the Level. I do feel a need to supplement with it, but it allows us to do math OUR way. The focus of the program is individualizing math for the student, playing games, and doing whichever topic in whichever order you feel is best for your child.