Menu

Clover Valley Chemistry (self-graded) or Funda Funda Chemistry

DS took CV honors chem 2 years ago. Not self graded, but I assume the materials are the same. 100% (200% even) recommend it. Connie is a rock star at explanation and motivation. I will caution, at least the honors class is very legit. It is a material amount of work. It's not billed as an AP class and doesn't follow the AP plan exactly, but based on DS's experience it's about as in-depth.

Edited by AEC
typo
  • Like 1

I love Connie's class, but if those were my options, I'd do FundaFunda, just because I would not be able to effectively support and grade Connie's class, even with the notes. If you can, then that would be the better option overall. But as pointed out, it's a very in depth course.

My 10th grader is taking the regular honors course right now. Her older sister took what Connie is now calling advanced honors. There is no comparison between the courses. This course is way less work. It is well-done and my 10th grader really likes it (she would not be able to handle the advanced honors.) FWIW, the grading only takes a few mins per day. I'm used to teaching/grading, so for me it is no big deal.

I'm used to grading, but I don't understand chemistry well enough to answer my kids' in depth questions when they ran into problems. Or to know if something deserved partial credit or not because I could see where the calculations went wrong. To me, that's the measure. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I'm used to grading, but I don't understand chemistry well enough to answer my kids' in depth questions when they ran into problems. Or to know if something deserved partial credit or not because I could see where the calculations went wrong. To me, that's the measure. 

I won't address the "not know the answer" portion bc we all have our own level of searching for answers that we have to decide we are comfortable with (my level is extrememly high), but in terms of grading, I have zero qualms of making decisions based on my own objectives.  If I am teaching the course at home, my goal is mastery.  I don't approach grading like a regular classroom, don't pretend to, and don't give it 2 secs worth of thought if my grading methodology matches anyone else's.  It is my homeschool; I'm the teacher= my decision.

Edited by 8filltheheart