Menu

Tell me the truth: do Billy bookcases sag?

Spryte

Some of my individual shelves started sagging after 8ish years, but I wish you could see the amount of books I have on them.  They’re not dangerously sagging, just... a touch soft. The rest of the bookcase still seems very sturdy and I have moved 3 times with them.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

If you have them, and lots of books … did the shelves sag? If so, any solutions?

We’re pretty hard on ours. I think we have six? No issues with the tall ones. The shorter ones had issues due to DS7 climbing when he was little, but they held up pretty good. I will say my oversized and very heavy books are in my solid book cases. 

• Thanks 1

Well I must be doing something wrong. Almost single shelf in mine came off under the weight of books. I’ll send a picture for proof once I’m back in the states (because I’m just now battling time zone insomnia with searching for real bookcases and mine still look like that).

many recs for pretty, hardwood bookcases, anyone? 
eTA maybe it’s not Billy I have? I’m pretty sure it is though. Black ikea bookcase. Feeling weird after reading all this posts...clearly it’s me. No it’s not heavy books. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Thanks 1

We had them as open shelving in a kitchen.  When we moved after 9 years, we opted not to bring them with us because some of the shelves were saggy.  I had definitely overloaded them, though.  

I have new ones that are 2 years old.  They are again overloaded in some spots (old habits and all).  Only one shelf has started to sag.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Condessa said:

If you don't want to have problems with the backs, bolt the shelves to the wall when installing them.  No issues then.  The backs are too flimsy to hold up over time, otherwise.

This low key assumes that my floors and walls meet at a right angle. Alas. They do not.

• Like 3

This is helpful, thanks!  

We are pondering installing them as faux built ins (lots of diy hacks out there) instead of waiting on lumber prices to come down.  So we may or may not use the backs, and they will definitely be bolted in.  I tend to be pretty rough on shelves, and overload them, though.

Is it possible to buy replacement shelves?  I have not checked that yet.  

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

This is helpful, thanks!  

We are pondering installing them as faux built ins (lots of diy hacks out there) instead of waiting on lumber prices to come down.  So we may or may not use the backs, and they will definitely be bolted in.  I tend to be pretty rough on shelves, and overload them, though.

Is it possible to buy replacement shelves?  I have not checked that yet.  

Yes it is.  I bought extras for my kids shelves because their books were small and hated all the wasted space when only using the included number of shelves.  The only thing you'd have to be concerned about it colors change over time and down the road you might not be able to get matching shelves.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Well I must be doing something wrong. Almost single shelf in mine came off under the weight of books. I’ll send a picture for proof once I’m back in the states (because I’m just now battling time zone insomnia with searching for real bookcases and mine still look like that).

many recs for pretty, hardwood bookcases, anyone? 
eTA maybe it’s not Billy I have? I’m pretty sure it is though. Black ikea bookcase. Feeling weird after reading all this posts...clearly it’s me. No it’s not heavy books. 

You are not alone.

The cases with 40cm and 60cm width are fine, but my 80cm width cases struggled. I had to buy L-hooks to support the shelves.

For really heavy stuff I would advice smaller cases..

• Thanks 1