Menu

laminating large item UPDATE in first post

gardenmom5

where would you go?

I have a 3x4 1/2 poster that I'm going to hang on a door.  (the door is 36" wide)   It needs to be laminated, or something.  I do NOT want to do contact paper . . .  If I don't have to . . . . . . 

any other suggestions on how to protect the thing?

It's this, and going on the door to the theater (which has two of these) the rest of the walls are a flat very dark navyish blue - yes, it doubles as a planetarium. (heeheeheeheehee).  i got one of those disc projectors.

so anyway - it has to be covered with something.

UPDATE:  FYI

These are chains.  I don't know how much it is particular to a store, or if it is chain wide.  I though other's might be interested: 

most were limited to 24" wide

mil - is the thickness of the material.  And, I should have asked about the finish of the laminate as well.

Staples:   

5mil, 7mil, 10mil  up to 24” wide

They can send it to an outside service 3mil   $28

FedEx/Kinkos

up to 42” wide

5mil - $52.68  Glossy or matte

the following three max at 24" wide

Lakeshore:

1.5mil –  up to 24” wide,              $0.59 per foot

Office Depot

Minuteman Press

Zebra printing - I don't know if it's a chain, but they wanted $6 a sq ft.  I've paid less for flooring.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

You could also just get a poster frame - I think you can get fairly cheap ones for that size. 

Update: nevermind...that's an odd size so nope. 

If you have an educational supply store that serves teachers they have wide laminators you can use for a decent price. 

Edited by ktgrok

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Staples.

22 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

I had a poster like that laminated at the FedEx store. I want to say it cost me less than $15 or so.

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

You could also just get a poster frame - I think you can get fairly cheap ones for that size. 

OK, those are all much better ideas than having a friend sneak into school with it and secretly laminate it. 😂 Ignore my plan! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Update: nevermind...that's an odd size so nope. 

If you have an educational supply store that serves teachers they have wide laminators you can use for a decent price. 

I had an exercise poster (showed all the different exercises with resistance bands) that size.  I had to cut it in two to be able to frame it.  Maybe I should have just taken it and had it laminated.  (I could still do that . . . . )

We do have a Lakeshore Learning store.  I didn't think they'd have one that wide.   I'll call around tomorrow for size and prices.

we have staples, and kinkos/fedex . . maybe some other office supply stores.

42 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I had an exercise poster (showed all the different exercises with resistance bands) that size.  I had to cut it in two to be able to frame it.  Maybe I should have just taken it and had it laminated.  (I could still do that . . . . )

We do have a Lakeshore Learning store.  I didn't think they'd have one that wide.   I'll call around tomorrow for size and prices.

we have staples, and kinkos/fedex . . maybe some other office supply stores.

I think they do - you need 3 feet wide and that seems common, it is just that most are 3x4, not 3x4.5. But length doesn't matter for laminating, just width. Lakeshore is where I laminated a bunch of stuff. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Lakeshore Learning in Factoria had a very wide one.  I don't know the exact measurements though. 

I hadn't even known they moved.  (Factoria is so much easier.)  Someone on nextdoor had mentioned it this morning. 

and .  . . I can go through the car wash while I'm there.

• Thanks 1

• gardenmom5 changed the title to laminating large item UPDATE in first post