Menu

My nerves have never been this shot.

Carrie12345

I live on a mountain top. Not a very impressive one compared to other mountainous areas, but that’s still what it is. 
I’m kind of used to medical helicopters and recreational planes flying real close, and they do occasionally sound like they’re going to come right through the house, but it lasts all of 20 seconds.

There’s an air show down the road this weekend. Unlike last year, they’ve decided to have 2 days of practice this year. Jets have been randomly zooming around, sounding like... well, jets. Not a mere 20 seconds. Not a leisurely or sober pass-by. A dazzling display of death defying tricks that sound like they’re not going to defy death. Shaking my house.

I actually WENT to the show last year. It put some rumbles in my tummy, but not like this. I’m struggling to relax a single muscle and all I can eat is toast.

This is mostly a laugh at/with me post. Except I am genuinely trying to weigh the Covid risks of checking into a hotel for the weekend to escape this!

• Sad 11

We used to live in the path of a small local airport. Once a year, that small local airport put on a warbird air show that drew a crowd. Most of the planes were of the WWII variety but there was always something current and cool like the B2 or similar. We listened to practice runs with numerous planes for THREE DAYS before the actual show, then during the two and a half day show they used our neighborhood to fly over and turn back towards the show grounds. I feel your pain! 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

I can commiserate. We live not very far from a small airport, mostly corporate jets and small planes, so not usually noisy. Until air show time, the two air shows near us use that as the practice base. You just reminded me that any day now they will start practicing for the Labor Day show. Maybe a Xanax? 

• Like 2

Just now, MEmama said:

Ugh I hate air shows. I’m always afraid I’m accidentally going to be watching a plane just as something horrific happens. 

I loathe everything about them.

Last year, dh and kids took a helicopter ride in an old, refurbished helicopter. Later that month, a similar helicopter crashed at another event.   
It’s amazing to me that I am capable of flying at all. But strictly commercial. The air is no place for shenanigans!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I’m sorry.  We got a warning that might happen last month for an air show nearby and some sort of military training, but it stormed both weekends and both were canceled.  I think I’d probably go ahead & get a hotel if everyone in your house is vaccinated. 

• Like 1

I am really sorry it bugs you.  Anxiety s*cks.

We have people complaining about helicopters here which is totally dumb.  We live very close to an Army depot and we not only get helicopters but explosions as well.  Some explosion are disposing of old armaments snd some are exoetimentd the ATF are doing. Other loud noises come from rocket tests, blasting mountains, etc.

When it happens alm the time. Uiu frt used to it.  Msny medical helicopters fly over my house since I live 10 minutes  from 2 hospitals that take helicopters.

19 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Y’all.  Y’ALL!  One of the planes just crashed during a take off.

I sure hope everybody's all right! Or as all right as they can be, anyway.

I lived through 9/11 here in the city. Several years later some bright person had the idea to have the planes from a Memorial Day airshow go right over my house. Ended up in the basement for 20 minutes with the kids, who by the way thought I was crazy. If I had to listen to two days of practice, I'd be losing it.

When I was a kid, we lived right outside an AFB. Our windows rattled all the time.

We are a military family. On that base, back then, there were actually a couple of roads that crossed the runway. The stop signs were really short. So, one time my mom didn't notice it and started driving across the runway in a station wagon with me looking out the back window as a jet was screaming toward us. I can only imagine the pilots screaming lift up, lift up to avoid the station wagon mom. We definitely provided practice for early lift-off that day. I can remember seeing the jet's wheel very close to my window.

Hope the folks from today's crash are ok. Hugs, Carrie.

• Like 1