Menu

high school health/sex ed

I am using glencoe health this block for my kids. I felts it covered basically everything hut you can always go deeper if needed. I got a dvd from the drugfreeworld.com that they also watched about different drugs and their effects on young minds. It does promote an abstinence view on sex which I do encourage for my kids. It also covers the different body systems and reviews reproductive system well in a way that was accessible and factual. 
Like some textbooks, it has little sections on teens and their stories etc that gives some perspective on different lifestyles. I’ve been pleased with it so far. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ethel Mertz said:

The book _Changing Bodies, Changing Lives_.  Worked well with our Questioning (the Q in LGBTQ) kid. He called it his “Teenager Book.” His copy is quite dog-eared and leaves no doubt that he read it cover-to-cover, probably more than once.

Thanks. Will check this out, along with the Glencoe book.

16 hours ago, Ethel Mertz said:

The book _Changing Bodies, Changing Lives_.  

I think that is what we used. My kids preferred to be handed the book to peruse on their own. 

For the health/ NON-sex ed part, I had them go through a Body systems book and get certified in CPR.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Don't forget a book on boundaries. Most problems stem from someone's boundary problems.

Any secular recommendations? I've been struggling to find something for this and I think my dc are probably weak in this area. I've heard the UU church might have something that would work for me, but I haven't had time to find it.

Just now, SusanC said:

Any secular recommendations? I've been struggling to find something for this and I think my dc are probably weak in this area. I've heard the UU church might have something that would work for me, but I haven't had time to find it.

I used the "UnF*** Your Boundaries workbook" with my dd. I could have done without the swearing, but it did us both good and I recommend it all the time. 

Given that the last edition of Changing Bodies, Changing Lives was apparently published in the 90's, is it actually still the best option in this area? Like, is a book published before the opioid crisis or before cishet became common parlance actually the right book for this topic or was it just that good?

37 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Given that the last edition of Changing Bodies, Changing Lives was apparently published in the 90's, is it actually still the best option in this area? Like, is a book published before the opioid crisis or before cishet became common parlance actually the right book for this topic or was it just that good?

It’s just that good. I’d look through the book again, but DS took it to college.