Menu

Aggrevated by stores (masks)

happi duck

In my area, prior to the "no masks for the vaccinated" mess, mask compliance was nearly 100%, no protesting etc.  Very easy.

In May stores were so quick to "follow the CDC" and basically drop requiring masks. ("Encouraged for the unvaccinated")

Now that the CDC changed to masks for all indoors suddenly stores are not "following the CDC".  Mask usage has creeped up to maybe 50%.  Ugh.

Stores tell me they "can't" require masks unless mandated by the state.  (I'm pretty sure that isn't true.  Besides the governor and the state department of health have both said they agree with the CDC.  Ugh.)

I doubt our governor will "mandate" again just "encourage".

I'm tired of all these entities who think "encouraging" is enough to turn the tide.  During blackout drills were people just "encouraged" to shut the blinds and turn off the lights?

I just want to grocery shop in a masked store.

• Like 6
  • Sad 6

2 minutes ago, happi duck said:

In my area, prior to the "no masks for the vaccinated" mess, mask compliance was nearly 100%, no protesting etc.  Very easy.

In May stores were so quick to "follow the CDC" and basically drop requiring masks. ("Encouraged for the unvaccinated")

Now that the CDC changed to masks for all indoors suddenly stores are not "following the CDC".  Mask usage has creeped up to maybe 50%.  Ugh.

Stores tell me they "can't" require masks unless mandated by the state.  (I'm pretty sure that isn't true.  Besides the governor and the state department of health have both said they agree with the CDC.  Ugh.)

I doubt our governor will "mandate" again just "encourage".

I'm tired of all these entities who think "encouraging" is enough to turn the tide.  During blackout drills were people just "encouraged" to shut the blinds and turn off the lights?

Yes, very similar here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hardly anyone is masking at stores here either. I drive 20 minutes to a Fresh Thyme now because almost everyone who shops there is wearing a mask. The town my dc attends college reinstated a mask mandate inside all buildings so I’ll probably start doing some shopping there as well when we visit. I too wish they would stop only encouraging but would require. 

• Like 2

Very little masking here. Maybe we will see one other couple masked the entire time, when DH and I go. And so many little kids! All unmasked, like their parents.

We haven’t even hit 50% fully vaccinated in our county, so most of these people over 12 are not vaccinated, one would think. No mask + no vaccine … I just worry for all those younger kids I keep seeing. The adults, too, but they at least are making clear choices, even though it breaks my heart to think of anyone getting sick.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, happi duck said:

Seriously. The laundromat I went to today had a sign that said Please wear a mask. Fold at home. Stay 6 ft away from anyone else. Wait in your car.

None of that was being followed. 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Seriously. The laundromat I went to today had a sign that said Please wear a mask. Fold at home. Stay 6 ft away from anyone else. Wait in your car.

None of that was being followed. 

Have to say, I wouldn’t wait in my car if I was doing laundry.  Do that here and there is a good chance of either your laundry being stolen, then putting their laundry(yuck) in with yours or having someone come remove your laundry and take over the machine with their laundry.  However, I would be in the corner with my book away from everyone normally. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Have to say, I wouldn’t wait in my car if I was doing laundry.  Do that here and there is a good chance of either your laundry being stolen, then putting their laundry(yuck) in with yours or having someone come remove your laundry and take over the machine with their laundry.  However, I would be in the corner with my book away from everyone normally. 

I've never been there when there were not enough machines - so never seen that happen. Also, I mean, it is easy to set a timer or look at the time so you get back inside just as your laundry finishes. Do you mean people put their clothes in with yours while it is running? Never even heard of that!

29 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I've never been there when there were not enough machines - so never seen that happen. Also, I mean, it is easy to set a timer or look at the time so you get back inside just as your laundry finishes. Do you mean people put their clothes in with yours while it is running? Never even heard of that!

They do.  Or they remove yours and put theirs in. It is because they don’t want to pay for a machine.  It doesn’t matter how many machines are available.  They steal clothes, bedding, etc.  

It has been awesome to be in the city my kid is in school at-becsuwe they never dropped the indoor mask mandate last Spring. As a result, masking is still near 100%. My county at home is putting one back in place as of tomorrow, and it will be interesting to see how compliance is when we go home next week. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

They do.  Or they remove yours and put theirs in. It is because they don’t want to pay for a machine.  It doesn’t matter how many machines are available.  They steal clothes, bedding, etc.  

Wow! Ours has attendants walking around cleaning, checking on machines, helping people - maybe that is why that doesn't happen? It can't with the washers - those are locked once they are started. It could with dryers I guess, but I've never seen anything like that, thankfully!

11 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

That's terrible!

This information gives me renewed interest that churches should install a couple washers and dryers to help people out.  A family could come and safely do a couple loads at a time.

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Wow! Ours has attendants walking around cleaning, checking on machines, helping people - maybe that is why that doesn't happen? It can't with the washers - those are locked once they are started. It could with dryers I guess, but I've never seen anything like that, thankfully!

Quoting myself to say that aside from the no masking crap, people there are super friendly/nice. I had one guy give me a partially used small bag of laundry detergent when he saw it was the same kind I had, because he was done and didn't want to take that small amount home. Another person offered to let me have some (I am wondering why everyone assumed I needed detergent?) just to be nice. People would ask nicely if they needed to scooch by you with a rolling cart, hold the door, etc. This is a place where I'd say a significant number likely don't speak english, one guy drove up with a car held together literally with twine, etc. Not well off people. But well mannered. 

16 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

No attendants here.  Some of the stuff washing machines give you a five minute window to add to the cycle before they lock. The older machines don’t lock at all. Plus, we had a few bleaching incidents in retaliation of whatever the issue was.  There have been fights and other crap that happens there.  Fortunately, I rarely have to go.  

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

No attendants here.  Some of the stuff washing machines give you a five minute window to add to the cycle before they lock. The older machines don’t lock at all. Plus, we had a few bleaching incidents in retaliation of whatever the issue was.  There have been fights and other crap that happens there.  Fortunately, I rarely have to go.  

Ugh. Nothing like that at this one. They also have outdoor units that are 24/7, under an overhang. But the main indoor area is clean, there are vending machines for detergents and such, soda machines, snack machines, some kids arcade type machines. Bathroom was gross though. 

43 minutes ago, happi duck said:

That's terrible!

This information gives me renewed interest that churches should install a couple washers and dryers to help people out.  A family could come and safely do a couple loads at a time.

My parent's church has a showers and laundry ministry, where homeless and low income folks can come, do their laundry, and take a shower if needed. They have a separate entrance that doesn't have access to the church and try to keep it staffed as many hours as possible. They're near a college, and some of the college students who need service hours will come, study, and monitor the laundry room, hand out towels, and do the occasional load of towels, which helps to spell the church members. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

My parent's church has a showers and laundry ministry, where homeless and low income folks can come, do their laundry, and take a shower if needed. They have a separate entrance that doesn't have access to the church and try to keep it staffed as many hours as possible. They're near a college, and some of the college students who need service hours will come, study, and monitor the laundry room, hand out towels, and do the occasional load of towels, which helps to spell the church members. 

That’s so cool!