Menu

My dad refuses to do anything even though I'm homeschooled, I don't know what to do

So I'd be a highschool junior this year, but I switched to homeschool due to the pandemic. My dad keeps telling me that I need to just study and learn everything needed to get into college. I've asked him so many times what I need to do, sent him so many resources asking what to do, but he just ignores me and basically says to school myself. I don't know what to do and it's really stressing me out because now I have to deal with this on top of mental and physical illness that he refuses to address. My mom is working all day and she's too busy to help, but my dad has not had a job in years; he literally spends all day every day in his workshop building things for fun.

Can I ask which state you're in? Your parents are required by law to provide you with an education equivalent to a public school education, and although they can define that (which is a good thing) not getting involved at all in obviously unacceptable. What does your mother say when you bring her your concerns? Can you talk to any other family members?

This may help, with information on how social services can get involved. Each state has a way to address this, and protect children who aren't receiving a proper education.

https://responsiblehomeschooling.org/advocacy/kids/how-to-report-state-by-state/

2 hours ago, nature girl said:

Can I ask which state you're in? Your parents are required by law to provide you with an education equivalent to a public school education, and although they can define that (which is a good thing) not getting involved at all in obviously unacceptable. What does your mother say when you bring her your concerns? Can you talk to any other family members?

This may help, with information on how social services can get involved. Each state has a way to address this, and protect children who aren't receiving a proper education.

https://responsiblehomeschooling.org/advocacy/kids/how-to-report-state-by-state/

I'm in Texas. My mother says it's unacceptable and argues about it with him a lot, but she is super busy and can't really do anything about it.

Are they willing to pay for classes? If so, you have a lot of options, including dual enrollment at a community college, which might be a good route to go in your circumstance (if you are able to find the classes you need online). If nothing else, there are online virtual academies that you could enroll in that would at least get the job done. It’s possible the counselor at your local high school would be able to hook you in with an alternative high school program (some of them are good about knowing all the options, and some of them aren’t, so it depends). 

2 hours ago, KSera said:

Are they willing to pay for classes? If so, you have a lot of options, including dual enrollment at a community college, which might be a good route to go in your circumstance (if you are able to find the classes you need online). If nothing else, there are online virtual academies that you could enroll in that would at least get the job done. It’s possible the counselor at your local high school would be able to hook you in with an alternative high school program (some of them are good about knowing all the options, and some of them aren’t, so it depends). 

They are willing to pay for classes, but my dad just puts off doing it. Do you have the names of any of the virtual online academies?

There are a number of threads here on WTM. Just doing a quick search, I found this. I'd take a look at the comment left by Lori D. here, because she gives so much information. 

In general, though, if college is the goal, it will be incredibly hard to ensure you have the right credits and documentation without the help of an adult, unless you're far more resourceful than most 16/17 year olds. I agree with KSera that it would make sense to contact your high school and give them your concerns. Someone there will be able to help you or direct you to the help you need. And if your mother is concerned, she really needs to consider this one of her MOST important jobs, because your future depends on it.

In addition to the ideas shared, you might check out a program based called Archway Online. It's affiliated with a popular homeschool "cover school" in TN called Home Life Academy. Online academy (monthly charge) and they have tutoring, etc. and probably would also help with the guidance counselor role for college since they work with lots of homeschoolers. Here's link https://www.archwayonline.com/

talk with them for options.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nature girl said:

There are a number of threads here on WTM. Just doing a quick search, I found this. I'd take a look at the comment left by Lori D. here, because she gives so much information. 

In general, though, if college is the goal, it will be incredibly hard to ensure you have the right credits and documentation without the help of an adult, unless you're far more resourceful than most 16/17 year olds. I agree with KSera that it would make sense to contact your high school and give them your concerns. Someone there will be able to help you or direct you to the help you need. And if your mother is concerned, she really needs to consider this one of her MOST important jobs, because your future depends on it.

Thanks, I'll look through the thread and look around some more. I'm pretty good at finding information online, so I guess I could look up the necessary documentation and stuff, though if it's not good enough for college, trade school or military would be good too. I don't really want to contact school because going to schools exacerbate a medical condition and I guess I could go nag my mother to do something

• 1 month later...

Texas has a bunch of virtual schools like Connections Academy. If you are a junior, you won't have enough credits to graduate with a public school diploma---the homeschool will have to issue it, unless you do credit recovery TEKS exams. 

If you have a license, you might also look at getting enrolled into a community college to do coursework. You're old enough at 16.  You may or may not place high enough in math to get credits for the first few classes (which may be remedial) but it's another way to get yourself educated.

• 4 months later...

Hi OP, I know I'm a bit late but here's some stuff that might be useful.

I'm not sure what the recording requirements are in Texas but I think they're pretty flexible - if you keep some records of your course work that should be more than enough. 

If you want to enroll in an online school fulltime you can look at the registration pages for the schools mentioned here: https://www.kristv.com/news/texas-news/seven4-tuition-free-online-public-schools-endorsed-by-the-tea?_amp=true

Also check out UT HS

Many of them might offer individual courses, but you would need to doublecheck regarding price.

As for homeschooling, there are plenty of resources here for most highschool subjects. What can you tell us about your previous highschool credits and grades? Which subjects are your strengths? An anonymized transcript (or screenshit of a transcript) from your freshmen and sophomore years might be helpful.

Is your dad willing to pay for books or classes? If so, how much?

Ebooks are free on libgen.rs

I can help you with SAT prep if that's what you're going to take.