Menu

Purchased an EpiPen in the last 10 years? File a claim now.

mommyoffive

Purchased an EpiPen in the last 10 years? File a claim now. - Hip2Save

Pfizer Inc., Meridian Medical Technologies Inc., and King Pharmaceuticals LLC (collectively known as the “Pfizer defendants”) have agreed to a $345 million settlement in a class-action antitrust lawsuit that claimed they plotted to maintain EpiPen’s monopoly while raising the price of EpiPens from $100 to $600 in less than 10 years.

If you purchased a brand-name or generic EpiPen between August 24, 2011, and November 1, 2020, you may be eligible to file a claim in this lawsuit. A fairness hearing will be held on October 27 to determine whether the proposed settlement is “fair, reasonable, and adequate,” but if you’re one of the 7 million+ consumers eligible to file a claim, you may do so now.

The amount of money individual consumers can receive will be decided closer to the final hearing in October. No documentation is required to file a claim, but you may be asked for additional proof of eligibility, including the following:

Itemized receipts, canceled checks, or credit card statements

An EOB (explanation of benefits) from your insurer

Pharmacy records

Copies of your EpiPen prescriptions

The deadline to file a claim is November 12, 2021. Claims can be filed online or by submitting this form by mail.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Purchased an EpiPen in the last 10 years? File a claim now. - Hip2Save

Pfizer Inc., Meridian Medical Technologies Inc., and King Pharmaceuticals LLC (collectively known as the “Pfizer defendants”) have agreed to a $345 million settlement in a class-action antitrust lawsuit that claimed they plotted to maintain EpiPen’s monopoly while raising the price of EpiPens from $100 to $600 in less than 10 years.

If you purchased a brand-name or generic EpiPen between August 24, 2011, and November 1, 2020, you may be eligible to file a claim in this lawsuit. A fairness hearing will be held on October 27 to determine whether the proposed settlement is “fair, reasonable, and adequate,” but if you’re one of the 7 million+ consumers eligible to file a claim, you may do so now.

The amount of money individual consumers can receive will be decided closer to the final hearing in October. No documentation is required to file a claim, but you may be asked for additional proof of eligibility, including the following:

Pharmacy records

The deadline to file a claim is November 12, 2021. Claims can be filed online or by submitting this form by mail.

Meh. I bought two for DS's (blessedly mild) allergies in 2009 and again this year for camp. I feel like I missed the worst of the price gouging. We never paid more than $30. I hope this helps those reliant on them tho! Good to know.

Edited by Sneezyone

18 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Meh. I bought two for DS's (blessedly mild) allergies in 2009 and again this year for camp. I feel like I missed the worst of the price gouging. We never paid more than $30. I hope this helps reliant on them tho! Good to know.

Same here. One was free and 2 were $20. I feel for those who have had to pay full price.

• Like 1

I know we had to pay up to $800 one time for a 2 pack. Several other times it was at $600 for the 2 pack. Thankfully the last couple years we have used AuviQ and paid no more than $25. I think we probably paid the high prices around 3-5 times. I have no idea how I could prove it though, I doubt I have any of the receipts or anything anymore. I agree, it was criminal!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluemongoose said:

I know we had to pay up to $800 one time for a 2 pack. Several other times it was at $600 for the 2 pack. Thankfully the last couple years we have used AuviQ and paid no more than $25. I think we probably paid the high prices around 3-5 times. I have no idea how I could prove it though, I doubt I have any of the receipts or anything anymore. I agree, it was criminal!

The article gave ideas IF they ask for documentation with these ideas:

Pharmacy records

8 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

canceled checks, or credit card statements

I'm thinking that even if (generic) you don't have the paperwork, Big Data can help get you a copy with a phone call or two and some time in hold. 

I still remember the shocked feeling when the pharmacy tech told the guy in front of me, "that'll be 64 cents" and they had a nice chuckle about how crazy insurance is. Then I walked up and pharmacy guy said, "that will be one sixty four" and I said "...cents?" "No, ma'am."

• Sad 1

I’m so glad they will be held responsible.

We paid more than $600 for them soooo many times. That was right around the time that DS was becoming more independent and I can’t tell you how many times he left his epi case in the car or outside on the trampoline or … aaagh! The worst was outside of Target, his case some how fell off of him crossing the street into the store. He was with DH and I was catching up, watched it happen in slow motion… he turned to go back for it, I called out, and a car ran right over it. It was days before Christmas. DS was so upset.

It’s possible to get your records from the pharmacy, so we will probably file.  

• Like 1

There is a single flat co-pay exclusion (p. 5 exclusion) that applies if your copay was the same for generic and branded devices or if you received the devices through Medicaid. Just wanted to throw that out there if you were getting ready to dig through paperwork. We only have it back a few years, but we do have receipts.....

In 2007, we were paying less than $100. We paid over $600 several times as well. SO FRUSTRATING!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

There is a single flat co-pay exclusion (p. 5 exclusion) that applies if your copay was the same for generic and branded devices or if you received the devices through Medicaid. Just wanted to throw that out there if you were getting ready to dig through paperwork. We only have it back a few years, but we do have receipts.....

In 2007, we were paying less than $100. We paid over $600 several times as well. SO FRUSTRATING!

So if Medicaid paid we shouldn’t apply?  We got ours through Medicaid, or at least Medicaid covered the copay.

I got a postcard at some point about a class-action and that I would be included unless I opted out. Does anyone know if this could be the same?

Like prairiewindmomma, we have paid up to $400 for Epis. I have never paid less than $75, and I was pretty excited about $75. 

People who have paid far less should be grateful for their good insurance!  😃

• Like 2

We do keep medical records a fairly long time here but not prescriptions. I am hoping that the pharmacy has some records because I only found three receipts.

In related news, I really didn't enjoy going back through all the medical records. Our family has had some really rough years in there medically.  There was a time my youngest was on a nebulizer and his medications were SO expensive. One of the meds was around $300 each time we filled, and we filled often.  Grateful the worst of his asthma seems to be behind us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

We do keep medical records a fairly long time here but not prescriptions. I am hoping that the pharmacy has some records because I only found three receipts.

In related news, I really didn't enjoy going back through all the medical records. Our family has had some really rough years in there medically.  There was a time my youngest was on a nebulizer and his medications were SO expensive. One of the meds was around $300 each time we filled, and we filled often.  Grateful the worst of his asthma seems to be behind us.

Right?  I’m with you.  Dreading looking back at all the crazy amounts we used to spend.  My copays were in the $2Ks per month for a few years.  Yikes.  Who wants to remember that?!

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Right?  I’m with you.  Dreading looking back at all the crazy amounts we used to spend.  My copays were in the $2Ks per month for a few years.  Yikes.  Who wants to remember that?!

Ours is worse now.  =(  If we had the same issues we had in 2013 and 2016 with our present coverage, I don't know how we would have survived it financially.   I mean, we didn't have great coverage, but our deductible is over $5K higher now than it was then.  Sigh. 

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Ours is worse now.  =(  If we had the same issues we had in 2013 and 2016 with our present coverage, I don't know how we would have survived it financially.   I mean, we didn't have great coverage, but our deductible is over $5K higher now than it was then.  Sigh. 

I feel your pain.  It’s bad.

Hopefully at least epipens are less expensive for you now.  And maybe we will all recoup a bit from the years of $600 epipens.

• Like 1