Menu

Does all the wood in your house match?

mommyoffive

Absolutely not, lol. One fake wood on my floors, nice wood on my beams and high windows, crappy wood on my lower windows, different wood cabinets. Oh, and some crap wood interior doors (painted downstairs, not upstairs.)

I have a pine bedroom set, dd has white, the boys have random crap for now. 

• Like 1

We have kind of a hodgepodge (wood floors, painted trim, wood doors) because we were given the wood doors. I think in general it looks nice if your colors go from dark to lighter as you work up. So it might look kind of heavy in a room if you put in dark furniture or cabinets with lighter floors (though that may be the look you want!). 

An eclectic mix is very fashionable. Some woods are more complementary together than others. For instance, my dh does not like oak mixed with other woods. I do a *bit* on my main floor, but general I keep more casual woods and more prim/formal woods together. My main floor furniture and cabs are mostly cherry or painted, so the bits of oak are antique and on the prettier end. 

Use your judgment on what you think looks good together. 🙂 Like not to be trite, but sometimes you just do what you like and say you're starting a new design trend. I wouldn't buy furniture you don't like just because it matches something else. Eclectic is very in. If you really can't agree, hit IKEA and go for some of their neutral painted Hemnes items. They usually come in black or grey.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

Mostly. Where it doesn’t, it’s where I have mixed up black painted furniture with walnut stained (that has black hardware) and it’s a conscious design choice.

I freely admit I am super color sensitive. There are things that bother me that don’t bother others. I don’t judge others’ houses for mixing wood stain colors, but in my own house I don’t buy to mismatch.

No.  But we turned down some cherry wood furniture (that I didn’t really care for anyway) because I thought it would not look good with our other things.

Otherwise — no, not matched, but all things we like and nothing that looks to me like it clashes.  

• Like 1

If you're talking about furniture, no.

If you're talking about woodwork, yes.

My kids' rooms' furniture has been "honey oak" colored since they were babies.  Every time I ordered furniture as they grew, I wanted to match whatever they were still using.  So honey oak convertible cribs => honey oak dresser/hutch => honey oak bunkbeds (now separate beds in separate rooms) => honey oak desks, bookcases, and 2nd room's dresser.  Now I don't see changing it.  😛

In general, each room is furnished at different times and in different ways, but the furniture within each room generally matches.

The one item that doesn't really match anything is my piano.  It is a sort of cherry color, which is different from all of our furniture.  (That old, used, sticky-keys piano was what I bought out of my gift money from my law/MBA graduation in 1992.  It was my prized possession for so long.  Now writing this, I am wondering if I should buy myself a nicer piano that maybe matches stuff ....)

Edited by SKL

Window trim, moldings and doors: all painted white

Floors: mostly same-stained oak, with kitchen & laundry room & bathrooms tiled and two bedrooms over the garage, that used to be unheatable, with thick insulating pad & wall to wall carpet on top of the same-stained oak

Furniture: mix of flea-market painted, flea-market refinished, and rather nice stuff handed down from 3 different grandmothers with very definite and very different styles, LOL.

In my dreams I live in a house with wide-planked old cherry floors.

Not at all. Trim came with house. We put hardwood floors decades later. Furniture is all different: dining table and chairs are 100 y/o and belonged to grandma; ikea shelves are what we bought after college; some furniture was my parents', some pieces we bought for the kids. All different, all serviceable.

The woodwork matches, but the woods are a hodgepodge of everything.  I like antiques and I’ve always felt that too matchy-matchy looks trying too hard & like new money wasted.

eta: I am color sensitive too, but wood, assuming it isn’t overdone gothic and is stained in a natural color, is a neutral. 

Edited by Katy
  • Like 2

No. Hardwood floors in foyer, living room - dark stain. Kitchen cabinets - cherry all around except the island is a lighter wood (blonde). Doors, crown molding, door frames, window ledges all glossy white.  Wooden furniture is all cherry in living room. Bookcases - one is darker than cherry (mahogany maybe?), those in dining room are a honey oak color, baker's rack and kitchen table in breakfast area are both a medium light brown. It doesn't bother me. I've never noticed until you asked this question!

Not even close.  Even just looking at our living room, we have 1940's trim and paneling on most walls, a slightly different but stained the same, wood fireplace mantle, one wall that is sheetrock with different trim and a newer door (as opposed to the old doors on the other three in the room, no hallway all doors open directly into the room).  The floor is new lvp that has some similar tones but also some very different ones.   

Then the furniture - we have my mother's old hope chest which has kind of a cherry finish, a hutch type thing that is a very light stain, my grandparents old secretary/cabinet that is a darker stain, then lots of white Billy type bookcases and cubes.  

No. We have done a fair amount of reno and we have a lot more to do. I’m style and decorating challenged and whenever I try to make sure everything matches I fall down a rabbit hole of frustration and how impossible it will be to match everything. So I just own it and don’t try to match everything, just try to make sure it doesn’t clash. 

Unless you are building from scratch and starting with all new furniture it is pretty hard. I just decided I always want to be able to bring home some quirky end table or odd piece I find or sentimental piece I inherit and not worry it doesn’t match 🙂

Edited by teachermom2834

DH likes all the wood furniture in the same room to match.  My boys' bedroom furniture is matching (across the hall for each other), but is different than our bedroom.  Same wood furniture in our bedroom and our formal living room because we love it.  I have a couple of painted wood pieces in a few rooms, but that went against what DH would have liked.  He loves it now though.  He is very matchy, matchy!

We bought all new furniture when we moved into this house.  It was easy to buy the same furniture for twin boys even though the were going to be in 2 different rooms.  The school room, my craft room, and the boys' playroom is all Ikea in white or light brown.  Our guest bedroom has DH's old cherry bed, but we don't have guests at this point and the boys' school/gaming computers are in the room now. 

Nope.  and I replaced my cheap fir wood millwork, and added a lot of cheap (not wood), but more substantial millwork painted white.  wood floors and furniture are different colors.  I even have two different woods for hardwood floors (they're different colors.)

dh objects to my wanting to paint my oak mantel (no side pieces - but I bought it for $35 at a yard sale eons ago.).   But, we do need to replace the entire prefab'd fireplace, so we'll see what happens.  seems the firebox for wood burning prefab'd fireplaces keep getting smaller.  wanted to do it this year - but you can't get  the one we liked.

In the bedrooms, the furniture mostly matches (espresso in my room, white in the kids' rooms). Wood trim (windows, etc) is white throughout. 

Living room: end tables are hand-me-downs (mid-tone) and the tv stand is dark. 

Kitchen: trim is white, cabinets are teal, floor is gray tone LVP and the table is light pine.